Podcast TWL 23 Ep1 - Webby

AlexM

AlexM

Randy south park

AlexM

AlexM

Illuminating beyond belief - all the footy chat was great, learnt heaps.
Loved the questions ( especially the prop one)
( sounds like he's going Marata and Barnett as props)
Loved the half chat and the hooker question( still feels like jazz has a spot, better hooker than walker...)
Webby seems like just a great guy and coach.

Start of 2018 was a good period and making 8th and the run with payton was great too. But yeah bare cupboard otherwise. Hope Webby kills it.

Let's not fuck this one up like we did with Ivan..

Wtf was that Nightmare Nathan Brown.

Fonzie

Fonzie

Contributor
Illuminating beyond belief - all the footy chat was great, learnt heaps.
Loved the questions ( especially the prop one)
( sounds like he's going Marata and Barnett as props)
Loved the half chat and the hooker question( still feels like jazz has a spot, better hooker than walker...)
Webby seems like just a great guy and coach.

Start of 2018 was a good period and making 8th and the run with payton was great too. But yeah bare cupboard otherwise. Hope Webby kills it.

Let's not fuck this one up like we did with Ivan..

Wtf was that Nightmare Nathan Brown.
Very genuine guy mate. Exactly the same when the record button was off.

Noitall

Noitall

Loved the part about our juniors music to my ears , would love you guy’s to get on Andrew Mcfadden or Adam blair to dive abit more into junior pathways side of things .
Are you thinking we give the young props a chance next season to stake their claim? I do agree regarding the game changing and becoming more mobile but I am nervous about our propping rotation going into next year as this is obviously how it will be staying, against some of the packs in the comp. Could it be as fonzie said with the Aussie team winning with a back row forward pack, that we’ve recruited back rowers to play prop?

AlexM

AlexM

Are you thinking we give the young props a chance next season to stake their claim? I do agree regarding the game changing and becoming more mobile but I am nervous about our propping rotation going into next year as this is obviously how it will be staying, against some of the packs in the comp. Could it be as fonzie said with the Aussie team winning with a back row forward pack, that we’ve recruited back rowers to play prop?
Yeah , sounds like we're going Addin, Marata, Barnett and Jazz/Walker/Lussick combo as our rotation.
When he said we do have the traditional prop type he was probably referring to Ben Murdoch-Masila, Bunty and to a lesser extent addin.
But maybe I'm reading to much into it.

RiceOwl

RiceOwl

Echo the sentiment above. Cracking pod guys! Love your work.

Interesting hints around the possible prop rotation. I’d take it as Addin Fonua-Blake and Barnett to be our starting 8 and 10? There seemed to be a few other hints in there - My take on it was Metcalf will certainly push for a spot somewhere although Shaun Johnson, Te Maire Martin and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad are first choice 7, 6, and 1 at this stage. Sounds as though Volkman is still seen as a long term Shaun Johnson replacement. Also Ale seemed to be given a nod when commenting on character.

Noitall

Noitall

Echo the sentiment above. Cracking pod guys! Love your work.

Interesting hints around the possible prop rotation. I’d take it as Addin Fonua-Blake and Barnett to be our starting 8 and 10? There seemed to be a few other hints in there - My take on it was Metcalf will certainly push for a spot somewhere although Shaun Johnson, Te Maire Martin and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad are first choice 7, 6, and 1 at this stage. Sounds as though Volkman is still seen as a long term Shaun Johnson replacement. Also Ale seemed to be given a nod when commenting on character.
Agree regarding Barnett starting prop. Real competition for positions and many configurations with players filling multiple positions. Could we afford to carry a bench of
Walker
Tevaga
Afoa
Lussick?
Tevaga can hold his own at prop and can spell Harris, Walker covers multiple positions, Bunty prop and lock late last year and back row early in his career at a pinch and Lussick a true hooker that’s bulked up enough to potentially be a lock if needed. Many different options though.

Noitall

Noitall

Listening to Webster talk about fullbacks like the storm having Hughes, Munster and Papenhuyzen, all of which have played fullback in their careers, whether they would consider Metcalf at centre like the NSW team has done with the likes of Trbojovich in the past? Another attacking threat that could perhaps swap with Niukore on defence.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Great listen.

Interesting hearing the emphasis on possession. Something the Walker brothers were preaching over a decade ago when the game was still fixated on completion. Was great to hear him break that down.

I liked his comments on defence too. Always prescribed to the Wayne Bennett mantra of defence winning Premierships. He's got his work cut out for him with our Morgan led defence being the worst of the comp and bottom 5 for the last few years.

Cleary has taught him well. His comment on player types (big, fit and fast) is straight out of Ivans playbook. You look at players like Sam Rapira and Ben Matulino. Not the biggest blokes but their 40 metre times were insane for props and was what made them successful at gaining metres.

Was a pleasure to listen to but Im not getting my hopes up just yet. Still going to need to see the results on the board first. Webster touched on it but the easiest indicator of his influence will be the effort put in. Pride. If I see that even in the losses I'll begin to believe. Until then he's just another Matt Elliott silver tongued peddler. Harsh but this coaching merry go round we have had since 2012 has broken this poor man...

Defence

Defence

Whoa! Fonzie bringing out the big gun!
That was awesome- timing couldn’t have been better for me- was sitting there wondering wtf I’m gonna do all day then this pops up! Made my day.
Unbelievable- great job to all involved.

PNG Kiwi

Yes good timing on the podcast and very interesting.
Enthusiasm and knowledge = success
Small steps in the right direction.

The question is, has he got the cattle and the approach to extract the best out of his team?

When the chips are down will he be ruthless enough to change the team, and not be everyone's mate like I suspect Brown was, and to a degree SK.

At least he can articulate himself well.

Well done good info 👍.

Reactions: Cces and Fonzie
AlexM

AlexM