General Tv Shows - Whats Everyone Watching?

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
The Disney+ Star Wars shows have been a bit of a mixed bag.

The Mandalorian was enjoyable. Pretty safe story telling but you see a lot of the galaxy. Season 3 should have a bit more Mandalorian lore. A lot should be set on the planet Mandalore itself.

The Book of Bobba Fett was a bit weird. I see what they wanted to achieve with the flash backs matching themes from the current events. But it came out like they were padding out the runtimes sometimes. They also gave him the Disney treatment. He's no longer ruthless, he'd prefer to sit down and talk. That is good for real life but its not the most appealing viewing. Also for padding out the runtime they spent two episodes without Bobba Fett even in it.

Obiwan Kenobi seemed to create more problems with the original movie. Another rather slow watch.

Clone Wars season 7 was good. The Ahsoka story arc in the middle was probably the weakest. The last arc linking with Revenge of the Sith was awesome.

The Bad Batch was good. The kid side kick is a bit over the top sometimes but it is an animated show aimed for a younger audience.

Tales of the Jedi were some nice quick stories.

Andor to me has been a bit of a surprise. I found the first 3 episodes boring as hell. But the rest have been a lot better with a story that covers across the galaxy.
I feel like I’m missing something with Andor, my Star Wars mates seem to all love it but I’m struggling to get through it, was intrigued after the launch episodes but have spent the rest waiting for something to happen.

Damo

Damo

Contributor
Did anyone make it through Rings of Power?
Everything I've seen online makes it seem like this show was a struggle to get through. Episodes where barely anything happened. Then it looks like things will advance and they'll move the characters back where they were.

House of the Dragon took some time to get going but built the tension between the characters. Next season as the war (The Dance of the Dragon) starts will pick things up again.
Thoroughly enjoyed House of the Dragon but I am admittedly a Game of Thrones geek. Good to see the book characters come to life and the story being fleshed out on the television screen. There was some welcome changes from the book too.

snake77

snake77

Thoroughly enjoyed House of the Dragon but I am admittedly a Game of Thrones geek. Good to see the book characters come to life and the story being fleshed out on the television screen. There was some welcome changes from the book too.
I haven't read the books but am starting to get keen to do it.

The story this one is based off is meant to be a few Maysters (excuse spelling) retelling the history so the story is biased and inaccurate in parts. I saw an interview with George RR Martin and he said he did a story years ago and need details on a building in New York. The building actually existed but no one could confirm if it was 14 or 15 stories high. If a small thing like that can be lost what about bigger or real events.

Dameon Targaryen has been the big surprise to me. Started the season hating him. By the end he's one of my favourites. "They have 4 dragons we have 13, and there are more around the island. Let's go there with our dragons and we'll have everyone with a green coats head on a pike by the time the moon turns".

The show has some interesting dynamics. The Queen's kids are all horrible, Rhaenyra's sons who are bastards are all been brought up well.

Looking at the history he has written they can go to some other interesting timelines as well. Aegon's conquest would be cool to see.

Reactions: Damo

Selector

Reservation Dogs - Disney+
The Man Who Fell To Earth - Neon

Big fan of Reservation Dogs. Good to see it was picked up for a 3rd season. Interested to see what direction they go in now after the season 2 finale.

Damo

Damo

Contributor
I haven't read the books but am starting to get keen to do it.

The story this one is based off is meant to be a few Maysters (excuse spelling) retelling the history so the story is biased and inaccurate in parts. I saw an interview with George RR Martin and he said he did a story years ago and need details on a building in New York. The building actually existed but no one could confirm if it was 14 or 15 stories high. If a small thing like that can be lost what about bigger or real events.

Dameon Targaryen has been the big surprise to me. Started the season hating him. By the end he's one of my favourites. "They have 4 dragons we have 13, and there are more around the island. Let's go there with our dragons and we'll have everyone with a green coats head on a pike by the time the moon turns".

The show has some interesting dynamics. The Queen's kids are all horrible, Rhaenyra's sons who are bastards are all been brought up well.

Looking at the history he has written they can go to some other interesting timelines as well. Aegon's conquest would be cool to see.
Yeah - as they say the winner writes the history books too, and the Maesters being very close to the 'Greens' means the books are written favorably towards them. Without giving anything away, in the books Aemond Targaryen is more of a comic book villain, so I really enjoy how they have written his character.

I'd love to see Aegons Conquest, Roberts Rebellion, Blackfyre rebellions.. they have a lot of space to create further seasons in different timelines. Be interesting to see where they go after these three - four seasons are done.

Reactions: snake77
Damo

Damo

Contributor
Isn't the next series going to be the John Snow spinoff set after the end of GOT.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/game-of-thrones-jon-snow-spinoff-1235167415/

I imagine it is probably going to be terrible as I imagine there will be no book source for the series to be based on?
Yeah - that's coming. But the House of Dragon can cover the whole Targaryen timeline so isn't just confined to the timeline of the Dance of the Dragon, the showrunners have confirmed as such too.

jonesy101

jonesy101

I feel like I’m missing something with Andor, my Star Wars mates seem to all love it but I’m struggling to get through it, was intrigued after the launch episodes but have spent the rest waiting for something to happen.
I have the same sentiments as you. I haven't finished the series yet but am yet to be hooked.

I don't want to sound like a nostalgic grump that can't accept change, I wasn't around for the release of the Original Trilogy at the movies (my childhood did consist of regular visits to the video store to rent them), but I've found pretty much every release I've watched with the Star Wars branding on it since the awful hack job of the Special Editions in the late 90s has done its bit to erode the magic of the originals, including the tone of its characters and it's impossible to feel that it all holds together in the same universe. Seeing stuff in Andor like the surveillance person munching on a box of noodles that look like they were bought from a Westfield shopping mall and the design of those transports that look like old fashioned trams I just found too earth looking. Those stupid vespas in Book of Boba Fett were a travesty.

I find the OT so alien. The peril, the triumphs, the costumes, the whimsy, not having to explain the fantasy through a science lens all add to the magic.

The Mandalorian is the one exception where I've felt they've got it right for the most part for those that feel the way I do, Its characters such as Greef Karga and Moff Giddeon have been handled very well and it does very much feel like it's the backdrop to the events after Return of the Jedi. Cara Dune had swagger (a shame they had to write the character out) and Grogu has added the whimsy, mystery and comic relief perfectly. The simplicity of the stories, such as the episode the jawa sandcrawler and the events in the ice cave with the passenger protecting her eggs just feel right. Throw in the glimpse of an x-wing or an AT-AT and it caps it off well.

Things have been derailed somewhat with the unnecessary return of Boba Fett which simply didn't need to happen, but I do look forward to season 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juju and matiunz
Geoff Public

Geoff Public

Don't Warri Be Happy
Contributor
I cannot find where to watch it. It isn't on YouTube yet
It was available on a download site. Which means it's out there . Although I'm not sure where on normal tv. Hopefully as their power has waned, a doco will be more investigative.

All I know is they grew faster than other US networks because until Newscorp listed on the US stock exchange they paid significantly less tax. I'm sure there's a whole lot of other things a doco series could keep is entertained with .

bruce

bruce

Contributor
It was available on a download site. Which means it's out there . Although I'm not sure where on normal tv. Hopefully as their power has waned, a doco will be more investigative.

All I know is they grew faster than other US networks because until Newscorp listed on the US stock exchange they paid significantly less tax. I'm sure there's a whole lot of other things a doco series could keep is entertained with .
Murdoch was always after the money. The Russians love Fox, so how much are they paying him.

Reactions: Worried2Death

Lenrat

Just finished Season 1 of Coyote. Great to see Michael Chiklis back in action. Hope it gets a second season as it ends on a real cliffhanger. If you liked Ozark or Breaking Bad then check it out.

You’ll never look at No More Gaps again after watching this show 🤭

Reactions: Worried2Death