General Tv Shows - Whats Everyone Watching?

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I burnt through yellow stone tv series with Kevin Costner in it but have just started watching 1883 which is about cowboys and settlers has a good cast.
Yeah we just finished yellowstone, the body count (with no consequences) is hilarious, but the horses and cowboying is weirdly interesting and i love a show that can burn through a stack of storylines in 40 minute episodes, get weary of hour long trudge where nothing much happens in some of the new breed of TV.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Liked the exploring of the Tuscan raider culture but it was a bit on the nose with its political statement. It might pay off but think it spends too much time in flashbacks rather than progressing current timeline story.
Like it enough but it’s definitely a slow burn similar to Mandalorian which I found makes you zone out a bit.
Ten definitely looked like he was channeling Maori culture with both the Tiaha homage but also the facial expressions
I thought last week had a bit better balance between the flash backs and the current timeline. Last week he needed the bacter tank quite a bit and if you look at the flashbacks his body is pretty messed up. I presume he is going to get in a tank before it links up to when we saw him last season as he looked fully healed there if I remember correctly.

I don't mind the flash backs in this series at the moment as its plugging some holes in the timeline. If it drags out I might change my mind. But at the moment I look back to the Mandalorian where some of the episodes that were talked up as filler ended up coming back to mean something later. We would see characters from previous episodes referenced which would seem weird but then they would be in the episode.

I have a bit more faith in Feloni and Faverau having a plan and referencing previous elements compared to the writers of the movies.

The Tuscan stuff has been interesting. I can see it coming back later either he has Tuscans in his palace later or he needs to get through the sands or if he needs reinforcements.

The other thing with this series is will it be all on Tatooinne? He might not leave until it picks up to where we saw him in the Mandalorian.

Reactions: matiunz

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Netflix seem to be raving about:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Daughter_(film)

It has some people, probably feminists raving, and Maggie Gyllenhaal is an amazing actress, but my advice is watch grass grow instead.

It looks at the situation of a married mother with daughters who abandons them to her husband and mother wile she works on her career in the US.

Not for me.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
I've started watching the Marvel Neflix Series. I know I'm a bit late but there is too much to keep up with nowadays and have less time now with two little ones.

The time these came out I was watching the DC TV shows so was going through a lot of comic related shows already.

Seen the first 2 seasons of Dare Devil which I liked. Was keen to get into the 3rd but saw it starts after the Defenders so I thought I'd either watch that or do the other shows first

Watched the first episode of Jessica Jones but struggled to really get into it.

Iron Fist is the show that hasn't been praised too highly but I got quite hooked on the first few episodes and ended up with a late night. It is a bit similar to Arrow with a rich guy coming back to the city.

I'll likely go through season 1 of Iron Fist as it relates to The Hand who were in Daredevil and then go through the Defenders. After trying to sort out the best way to watch I read the first 4 episodes of the Defenders are basically single character episodes putting them in a position to need help. So I could of went straight to that.

I am keen on watching the Punisher after seeing him introduced in Dare Devil season 2.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
I've started watching the Marvel Neflix Series. I know I'm a bit late but there is too much to keep up with nowadays and have less time now with two little ones.

The time these came out I was watching the DC TV shows so was going through a lot of comic related shows already.

Seen the first 2 seasons of Dare Devil which I liked. Was keen to get into the 3rd but saw it starts after the Defenders so I thought I'd either watch that or do the other shows first

Watched the first episode of Jessica Jones but struggled to really get into it.

Iron Fist is the show that hasn't been praised too highly but I got quite hooked on the first few episodes and ended up with a late night. It is a bit similar to Arrow with a rich guy coming back to the city.

I'll likely go through season 1 of Iron Fist as it relates to The Hand who were in Daredevil and then go through the Defenders. After trying to sort out the best way to watch I read the first 4 episodes of the Defenders are basically single character episodes putting them in a position to need help. So I could of went straight to that.

I am keen on watching the Punisher after seeing him introduced in Dare Devil season 2.
Iron fist got unfairly panned by people who didn’t understand the source material. I personally liked it along with daredevil and punisher the most. Jessicca Jones I liked the first season mostly because of David Tennants bad guy but it’s a bit slower, Luke cage I struggled to get into but its for a slightly different audience (I liked them fine enough for completions sake).
Defenders is fun to see all the characters in one place otherwise it’s a little bit aimless, unfortunately it’s kind of required viewing for daredevil season 3 as it ends right where season 3 starts and continues elektras story.
The Netflix shows reference the MCU a little bit but they’re not really essential viewing unless you want some back story with Charlie Cox and Vincent D’Onofrio transitioning to the MCU proper. I liked Mike Colter and Finn Jones for Luke cage and iron fist but the actors are a little wooden , Jon Berthnal is very good as Frank Castle and I hope he also transitions over

Reactions: snake77

Lenrat

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2012
Yeah we just finished yellowstone, the body count (with no consequences) is hilarious, but the horses and cowboying is weirdly interesting and i love a show that can burn through a stack of storylines in 40 minute episodes, get weary of hour long trudge where nothing much happens in some of the new breed of TV.
Check out the prequel series 1883. It covers the journey westward across the Great Plains to create the Montana homestead for future generations. Sam Elliot is always good value. Well worth a viewing if you liked Deadwood or Hell On Wheels.

Last edited:

marvlerning

U20's Player
Dec 4, 2018
for anyone interested, i watched both full seasons of this over a week in the first lockdown last year. one of the better shows i’ve watched. and the main dude michael dorman is from auckland.
it’s on amazon prime.

Reactions: bruce

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
I've just finished the 3rd episode of Arcane on Netflix. Wow! It is pretty good. It has that unpredictable, any outcome could happen feel that GoT had. It is also stunningly animated. I hope it carries on as it has started.

It is based on the League of Legends game (which I have not played) so cannot comment on any of the lore or anything.

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
In no particular order over the holidays...

Cobra Kai S4 - So cheesy, so stupid, so watchable. Need more of it.

Titans S3 - So much darker with HBO taking over it.

Cowboy Beebop - Got halfway through the live action, made me wanted to watch the anime - so I did before going back to watch the rest of the live action. Some really poor casting/acting choices in live action version.

Attack On Titan - Had to rewatch before the new episodes started today. Still great and impactful even in a repeat viewing.

Vikings final season - Good enough to finish it off. Show got a bit repetitive after awhile though.

Book of Boba - I hate prequels and not fond of flashbacks either so the first two episodes have been a struggle. Hanging in there for now though.

Chucky TV series - Once the nostalgia dropped away it got pretty old quick. Thought they played it a bit safe while relying on callbacks that were better left forgotten in the worst of the Chucky movies.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Cobra Kai season 4 was another good season. Its more how the writers don't have the traditional good vs evil but you can see everyone's point of view. Especially with Daniel and Johnny, they get close to getting on but then there is a misunderstanding.

Last season they gave us the back story for Kreese and Silver in Vietnam and why Silver says he owes Kreese and helped him in the 3rd movie. This season they managed to explain his behaviour in the 3rd movie that came off as cheesy. "30 years ago I was high on cocaine and wasted time harassing a teenager". This season Kreese asked him for help and awoken old behaviours.

This season they made Kreese seen reasonable and probably the best coach out of the four of them.

Traditionally the story would be written so you as the viewer want a specific side/fighter to win. The one the writers want. This show you could pick a favourite character from either side. Look at the two main girls. Tory was more of the bad girl last year but as you get more of her back story you feel more for her character while Sam is from the well off family, pretty much always gets what she wants and was more the bully this season.

They have got a lot out of 3 movies with what they reference. Not sure how many seasons they can get out of it.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Mr inbetween on fox in Australia. Thoroughly enjoyed all 3 seasons
Strangely watchable show, found it one of those ‘I’m not sure why I like it but I do’ shows.
Got a kick out of seeing a lot of the scenes filmed in my suburb
Did you take season 3 to be the last?

Reactions: bruce

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings