General Turn It Up-Dale Budge

Skinny_Ravs82

www.radiosport.co.nz

So Sione Faumuina has threatened to quit the Warriors before club management persuaded him to stay with the organization.

Wrong move.

The Warriors are better off without the mobile back-rower if he is going to let his poor off-field discipline continue to be a problem.

Sure, at his best Faumuina is the Warriors’ best attacking weapon and he clearly has some astonishing ball skills and undeniable talent but after three failed seasons in the NRL they can ill-afford to have a parasite at the club causing ructions between players and the coaching staff.

Nor can they afford to allow him to add to his long list of off-field indiscretions. Having been warned after a number of alcohol-fuelled incidents, many would have assumed the 25-year-old Faumuina was on his last warning before he made an idiot out of himself at Awen Guttenbeil’s Testimonial lunch last week.

I was sitting at the next table from Faumuina and it was plain to all that he was intoxicated and his behavior was not at an acceptable level.

That came to a head when he shouted out an obscenity in front of the 500-strong guests that was completely inappropriate and in poor taste.

At 25 and having had 100 first grade appearances under his belt he shouldn’t need to be told whether that was acceptable or not and he deserved to be punished for the effort.

On top of that, when he was confronted by coach Ivan Cleary and senior player Ruben Wiki he swore at them and then threatened to leave the club.

As reported in weekend papers Faumuina held crisis talks with the Warriors and the two parties agreed to continue working together.

The club offered an excuse for Faumuina, saying he was frustrated by the last three unsuccessful NRL seasons and urged that he was a big part of the club's plans going forward.

If I was Wayne Scurrah I would have offered to pack his bags and drop him at the airport after hearing the 2-Test Kiwi talk about how he felt he could be a better player with another NRL club.

Warriors fans and fellow players do not need a big-headed show pony making those sort of off-the-wall comments that will only hurt the whole side.

It is clear that Faumuina will never play for the Kiwis again while Brian McClennan is coach and that has nothing to do with his on-field ability.

And if two years of playing under the leadership of Steve Price and Wiki - two of the most highly-respected players in the competition - can't straighten out Faumuina then nothing will and I would be inclined to cut him loose and free-up some more salary cap space.

The Warriors have nothing to lose over the next five weeks now that there is no chance of them playing in the post-season. They can still get a lot of things to take into 2007 however and one of those could be the promotion of promising junior Sonny Fai.

Fai is an athletic and powerful back-rower that has shown Sonny Bill Williams-type skills at Bartercard Cup level. His fitness and work level has been under question however but I would much prefer to see him play over the next five weeks than Faumuina, who has been one of the season's biggest disappointments.

* To comment on this piece send emails to dale@radiosport.co.nz

commonsense_old

parasite?? very harsh word by dale budge.

i have been itching to see sonny fai play. have heard wraps about him for the past 2 years. hope he plays at least one game this season.

Kiwi League_old

Where is all the anger in Sione coming from?
His life & future are in his own hands. He has fantastic earning potential, and seems to have a desire to do well at the highest level.
But he's developing a real chip on his shoulder when he should realise that he's young enough to turn things around.
If it means getting out of the Warriors he should do it. Maybe he needs to get well away from this place to gain a sense of perspective. I just wish the guy well because I have a lot of fond memories about what he's done in the past. He was fantastic for us last year, and in the preceding couple of years.

Skinny_Ravs82

Yes he is a good player and has tremendous talent as we all know, but as for this off field stuff and doing what he did at his own team mate's special event...geeze...

STRIDER_old

We need him on the field, Luck, Koopu, and Anderson dont offer atacking fire power.

Having said that I do like Andersons aggresive style

commonsense_old

STRIDER said:
We need him on the field, Luck, Koopu, and Anderson dont offer atacking fire power.

Having said that I do like Andersons aggresive style

yeh i love anderson's aggressive style.

with guttenbiel leaving we wont have any ballplaying backrowers if sione leaves too. apparently sonny fai fits that mould but he is yet to play a first grade game.

one thing i was wondering was why sione would have a go at wiki. he had a go at ivan cleary cos he felt cleary cost him the kiwi jersey. but why wiki?

raypower_old

He probably felt Wiki was butting into a situation that didn't concern him or he resented Wiki as an authority figure. Either way it's still pretty poor form.

In 04, the Warriors were fairly quick to let Lauititi go after he expressed a lack of hunger. Why is there a different stance this time around? I'm not advocating that they punt him but surely this situation is potentially more destructive...

sebastian_old

2black2strong said:
agreed agreed agreed

You've been against Sione for a little while now & i'm beggining to agree & understand why, disrepecting Wiki infront of a crowd & expecting team respect from him is not going to work out. I have a feeling if we don't let Sione go he could destroy our team harmony, let him go before the damage is irepairable. Sione must go now, before its too late!! Put sonny Fai on the bench, you don't keep players that are bad for team harmony just because they play well, even Souths know that when they let Macdougall go.

blez_old

What the hell? you don't go disrespecting the likes of Ruben Wiki. Who does he think he is?. I don't care how "potentially good" he can be *if* he has a good day, *if* hes in a good mood, *if* hes happy that Cleary has left him in the starting lineup and not banished him to the bench.

Its time we get rid of this clubroom cancer.

Skinny_Ravs82

blez said:
What the hell? you don't go disrespecting the likes of Ruben Wiki. Who does he think he is?. I don't care how "potentially good" he can be *if* he has a good day, *if* hes in a good mood, *if* hes happy that Cleary has left him in the starting lineup and not banished him to the bench.

Its time we get rid of this clubroom cancer.

So you agree with what Dale said...especially when he called Sione a parasite? :lol:

-Dr.J-_old

Dale Budge is like, gods gift to league journo's. He's like someone gave Keepingthefaith a column.