General Travelling Circus Returns Home

ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Slide

Travelling Circus Returns Home

I did a double take when the coverage of Saturday night’s league coverage started in Penrith. The ground was of course awash with pink to celebrate the Women in League round, yet the first shot of the Warriors in their dressing room took me by surprise. They were wearing an odd jersey for an away match in a special round, their plain black home strip.

“What the **** is this shit!” I exclaimed. I then realised the Panthers had stolen our thunder, and had turned out in their own novelty pink strip! Management must have been seething, Manu’s manager must have been ropeable! Novelty jerseys are our thing, we invented them, we get to wear and sell them first! No matter, we soon put this great injustice behind us and meekly surrendered to a rampaging pink panther outfit. After all, we wouldn’t want to take the focus off Women-In-League or, more importantly – their pink jerseys. This was evident post-match, smiles all round! “You look choice in your pink strip bro! You should see our flame jerseys! Oh wait, you already have, and you thumped us then…too.”

Who gave a shit that Manly trumped us in the big one in 2011, our merchandise tent sold out, theirs didn’t…that’ll show ‘em. And who could ever forget how well the merchandise sales have been doing, Mr Watson reminds us at every turn. You see, that’s what the NRL is all about. It’s about creative marketing, jerseys, intriguing membership campaigns, social media follower numbers and glorified crowd personalities (see above). Forget results, forget history, forget club colours - apparently the real respect comes through your merchandise revenue. Then, when the season turns to shit, hammer the faithful with ridiculous guilt-ridden marketing campaigns asking us if we have what it takes to be ‘True Warriors’ etc etc…etc.

I digress, back to Saturday night. Disgraceful, woeful, capitulation, implosion – just some of the words being thrown around by supporters after the game, none of which adequately describe what we had just witnessed. This club is at present – a joke, a travelling circus of self-appointed superstars, cheesy marketing, colourful (absurd) merchandise and mixed messages from management as they scamper to paper over the cracks in the club’s shaky foundations.

But if novelty value is what they’re going for, well shit, they’ve succeeded. You see, that is what the Warriors are in the current league world, a fleeting colourful feature of each season at which passers-by can have a brief chuckle when they’re feeling blue.

The only thing is, I’m not laughing. Instead, there’s that miserable feeling that time of death is about to be called on yet another emaciated wreck of a season. Forget membership, forget merchandise, forget social media numbers. 2 wins, 8 losses, and record defeat – this is the real state of the club.

Where to from here for the Warriors?

Reactions: 16 users
Beefcake

Beefcake

as much as I agree, I quite like the Joker. Sometimes he's the only positive thing at the games, and he keeps them entertaining....

Reactions: 1 user
Bluecat again

Bluecat again

A fat guy in makeup borrowed from a Batman film and clothes that would make Elvis cringe. I watched him at the caketin and just shook my head. WTF???????????? Is this really the face of the Warriors? Did someone from the clubs management or Vodafone really give the go ahead to finance carting this guy around to matches? Problems at the club run so deep and I really have to agree Toilet Duck - plaster a cock with a painted on grin over everything and no one will notice seems to be the clubs answer to all our current problems :(

Reactions: 9 users
Beefcake

Beefcake

A fat guy in makeup borrowed from a Batman film and clothes that would make Elvis cringe. I watched him at the caketin and just shook my head. WTF???????????? Is this really the face of the Warriors? Did someone from the clubs management or Vodafone really give the go ahead to finance carting this guy around to matches? Problems at the club run so deep and I really have to agree Toilet Duck - plaster a cock with a painted on grin over everything and no one will notice seems to be the clubs answer to all our current problems :(
I would much rather him being there and lightening up the mood, then not having him at games......

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

What the fuck? I didn't realize that was a dickhead in make-up. I thought Wayne Scurrah had taken to turning up at the games to show his support of the boys.

Reactions: 1 users
Dankokoro 2.0

Dankokoro 2.0

as much as I agree, I quite like the Joker. Sometimes he's the only positive thing at the games, and he keeps them entertaining....

What exactly does he do that's entertaining? Not being a smartass - i'm genuinely curious.

smc

I would much rather him being there and lightening up the mood, then not having him at games......
I didn't mind him being there when he was just some douche in the crowd that likes to wear make up like his favourite comic book character.
Now he appears to be there in some official capacity the club is associating itself with a real life version of Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons. It is fucking embarrassing.

Reactions: 5 users
koolkat

koolkat

Who received all there merchandise shit in the mail today, I even received a calendar 5 months late. this place has turned into a circus get the big top out Sunday boys

Sup42

Sup42

Midget forwards

A bearded lady on the wing , I can see it.

I don't condone violence , and the Mt Smart joker might be a likeable guy that you'd have a laugh with over a few beers.

I have entertained a violent fantasy involving hiring a Batman Costume and challenging the Joker to a dance off

Reactions: 5 users
Sup42

Sup42

Matty Johns Show they do a a Reffs Killer segment.

Tonight they did the entire segment on the Warriors and called it a Warriors special

To the music of slice of heaven with sheep noises

wallacenz

wallacenz

Matty Johns Show they do a a Reffs Killer segment.

Tonight they did the entire segment on the Warriors and called it a Warriors special

To the music of slice of heaven with sheep noises
what was in it? many bad mistakes or just a take the piss? and over how long, just this season/week?

koolkat

koolkat

Just this week.we have got to roll with the punches for the rest of the week with the insults and the name calling ,Mg was quite sporting thought he may of laid the boot in a bit more

Reactions: 1 user
Sup42

Sup42

what was in it? many bad mistakes or just a take the piss? and over how long, just this season/week?
It was just the Panther abortion.

All the errors with some commentary from Johns ( some of it was funny ) they awarded Seven Reff killer plays off that one game.

1. Johnsons kick that didn't find touch " Half back Sensation Shaun Johnson puts in a not so sensational touch finder

2. Thomas Leiuluai off side at the kick off " nothing like showing a bit of discipline aye Thomas "

3. Manu Vatuvei ( missing the ball at his feet in goal ) " have a look at this.....big Manu trying to pick up pennies wearing boxing gloves "

4. Manu Vatuvei again " only a disaster or an act of god could stop you scoring this try ....obviously gos isn't a Warriors supporter "

5. " Billy Tupou ....beats one , beats two , beats three , beats four, but can't beat his toughest opponent himself "

6. Ben Henry shows his touch skills " hey come back bro......touched "

7. Glen Fisiahi " picks the worst possible time to use his toe the ball skills to he learnt back in Rotorua....nice one fish " "[DOUBLEPOST=1369052424][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just this week.we have got to roll with the punches they brought on themselves IMO.sheep noises annoyed me a bit though,Mg was quite sporting thought he may of laid the boot in a bit more
Yeah MG has a lot of sympathy for the Warriors after the way he made a boof head of himself demanding we get booted from the comp , he's been contrite about that for years.

I noticed that Sky are hammering the Ticket adds for the knights game , it's on most channels on every other add break.

It's in their interests to protect the product.

Reactions: 3 users
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Got an email today promoting personalised Warriors gear like scarves and footballs. Also got my calendar and a brochure packed with Warriors clothing. What amazes me is the timing. After the worst loss in our clubs history I'm expected to buy merchandise! Slap in the face really.

The use of the Mt Smart Joker is getting beyond a joke. No surprises that since he has been the unofficial mascot the teams been playing like a joke. Its ridiculous that all you have to do is dress up like a clown and you'll be considered a superfan. I'd like them to fly fans like Gee who drives for hours every home game to be at Mt. Smart or people who have brought season passes every year with out fail.

I said a lot about the amount of jerseys the team issues and the constant changing of colours on the 2013 Jersey thread so I won't go there but I think if the Warriors insist on releasing 20 a year then at least open it up to the public to design the training jerseys. It would give us a sense of ownership and they couldn't do any worse then the fire and ice that was available this year.

Last note. After last weeks display I really hope they don't wear their pink jerseys against the Knights. That would be really bad timing...

Reactions: 9 users