General Top Rookies 2016 so far..

Trugoy

Trugoy

Thought it would be interesting to see who you think the stand out rookies of the comp are so far this season.

For mine, although not technically a rookie as he played a few minutes in one Broncs game last year, Ash Taylor is my standout.
Been keeping an eye on him and he's getting better and better by the week.
The kid seems to have it all and I reckon he and Kane Elgey next year are gonna form a pretty potent pairing.
For us, Jazz is my standout.

What's your thoughts?

Last edited:
Jay M

Jay M

Contributor
Too early to say - but a few other names to put in the hat:

Latrell Mitchell would have to be a contender (even though I don't think he's everything they make him out to be yet - but he is only just 19).

Nathan Cleary could make a push (if he keeps getting game time).

James Fisher-Harris
Cody Walker
Jai Arrow - if he gets more gametime - I think the Broncos are looking at him to replace Parker (and Jai is just a kid)

Jayden Nikorima has debuted too, but hardly set the world alight.

Of the list so far, it'd be out of Mitchell, Fisher-Harris and Walker for mine.

Reactions: Trugoy
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Hardly watched the Titans but Taylor seems to do good stuff whenever I see them.

I hate how they refer to Latrell as the next GI, when GI was 18/19 he was already a dominant player.

You’d think the Knights with all their rookies would have a contender, the Saifiti’s have had to do a lot of work, they should turn out pretty good.

If your allowed to count brits Elliot Whitehead has been real good.

Reactions: Trugoy
Jay M

Jay M

Contributor
Hardly watched the Titans but Taylor seems to do good stuff whenever I see them.

I hate how they refer to Latrell as the next GI, when GI was 18/19 he was already a dominant player.

You’d think the Knights with all their rookies would have a contender, the Saifiti’s have had to do a lot of work, they should turn out pretty good.

If your allowed to count brits Elliot Whitehead has been real good.

Agreed on Mitchell vs GI. And Mitchell does make a tonne of errors.

I thought about Whitehead, but I think he debuted in 09 in ESL so I wouldn't really count that a rookie (without knowing exactly how the NRL rules on it)...

Trugoy

Trugoy

Yeah it's very annoying the way so many young players get talked up in the media as 'the next so and so'.
I always find it unfair to the young guys, an unnecessary pressure.
In Mitchell's case you can't help see the similarities to GI in his play but geez let him just be him before chucking a tag on him and comparing him to one of the best there's ever been.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Latrell Mitchell will win the Rookie of the Year if it was awarded tomorrow. Easily the most stand out debutant this season.

Nathan Cleary and James Fisher-Harris will push him by years end.

Quite like what Ive seen of Josh Addo-Carr and Bevin French so far...

Reactions: Trugoy and Jay M
Jay M

Jay M

Contributor
Latrell Mitchell will win the Rookie of the Year if it was awarded tomorrow. Easily the most stand out debutant this season.

French was fantastic in the nines. Haven't seen a lot of him in first grade yet.

Trugoy

Trugoy

I reckon it'd be Taylor, he's playing like a half well ahead of his years.
Assuming of course he'd still be considered a rookie despite those few minutes in the final round for Brisbane last year. Have to be wouldn't he?

Reactions: Defence and DANZ
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
I reckon it'd be Taylor, he's playing like a half well ahead of his years.
Assuming of course he'd still be considered a rookie despite those few minutes in the final round for Brisbane last year. Have to be wouldn't he?

They kept talking Lolohea up as rookie contender last year, despite him featuring briefly the year before

Reactions: jonessco and Trugoy
t-wade23

t-wade23

I think it hasn't been the strongest class this year no one really standing out bar maybe one or two but for me it's Ash Taylor and its not even close maybe you could make the case for Latrell Mitchell but he hasn't lead his team the way Taylor has.

He is playing the hardest position in the Comp and is playing like an 200 game veteran he has been the catalyst for the Titans run this year.

But overall it has been an pretty weak class

Reactions: Jay M and Defence
Defence

Defence

Yeah hard to go past Taylor.
Also at the Titans, leivaha pulu has been a bit of a sensation too.
Don't know where he came from.

snake77

snake77

Yeah true but I think you're allowed to play a couple games or something and still be eligible the following year.
Pretty sure this is the case and has been mentioned about a few players over the years.

The Titans wouldn't be kicking themselves as much as they would have been originally when DCE did his back flip. They get Ash Taylor on a lot less money and even with his upgrade he probably won't be on as much as they were going to fork out for DCE.

Mitchell the next GI. How many rookies are going to be described as the next GI. We have also had quite a few "next SBW" over the years as well.

Alexthewormking

Alexthewormking

Nathan Cleary is an outstanding talent. If he's their #7 for the rest of the year, I wouldn't be surprised with him edging out Taylor & Mitchell, as he will likely lead the panthers to the top 8, where as I can see Titans and (obviously) the roosters falling short. I really like the x-factor of Cody walker too.

Reactions: mt.wellington