General Tony Tuimavave

LeagueNut_old

Tuimavave goes public over suicide attempt

Former rugby league hardman Tony Tuimavave has gone public over attempted suicide to make people stop and think

2 April 2006 - article from www.rugbyleague.co.nz

Former rugby league hardman Tony Tuimavave has gone public over his attempted suicide, hoping it will give people reason to stop and think.

He has told a Sunday newspaper he tried to kill himself, by getting drunk and smashing his car into a wall.

According to this morning's Sunday News it happened about two years ago, when he was afraid 'skeletons in his closet' were going to become public knowledge.

He says he has gone public to show other people that when they are under a lot of pressure, they should not try to deal with it alone.
Wow, that's a bit of a shock. But that's a great message right there - don't try to deal with these things by yourself. There's ALWAYS someone out there who knows exactly what you might be going through, or someone who will be willing to listen and help you out where they can.

Sorry to be all serious here, but there have been a few posts in this forum recently about this sort of topic. Let's hope that anyone who's feeling really down can find it in themselves to put their hands up instead of taking a more drastic option.

AliN_old

what a thing to speak out about, but good on him for doing it.
With the respect the Chief has in the league community, he may just touch someone who needs help.

AmeriKiwi_old

Really good post, L.N., and I`m glad you pointed out that help IS always available for those feeling desperate. We all feel down and question ourselves at some point in our lives, but suicide is never the answer to the problems we face. Understanding that problems/challenges are a part of life, just as the good times are, faith that tomorrow will be a better day, and acceptance that the cruel actions of other peoples` words or actions are something we have no control over, BUT that we can control our own responses to them are the key elements in moving forward in life. Difficulties and challenges are designed to teach us and to help us grow, both mentally and spiritually. We all not only have the right to live a content life, we have an obligation to do so.
Suicide or simply existing but giving up on life are never the answers.

Kav_old

It takes a lot of courage for someone to publicly admit that they tried suicide as a way out of their problems - but then Tony was chief courageous on the football field.

Kav

warrior_girl81_old

what a great post and what a brave man tony is for making this public knowledge. hopefully he makes alot of people stop and think about gettin help for their problems and saves a few lives.

PHANTOM MENACE_old

It was in the paper today as well. Great read about him and his demons.

Also he is fighting in fight for life this year against
KEVIN CAMPION. What a fight that will be

Robster_old

God Bless Him, I be first to admit if he killed himself it would of really hit me hard and I can imagine alot of this forum would of been hit hard as well, thank god he's still alive. GOOD ON YEA CHIEF :D having the courage to speak out and help other people , great stuff champ.

Wiki_old

Wow, very strong man to come out and talk like that. I admire that.

Two days ago a girl jumped off a car park building about twenty metres from where I work, while I was working. I felt sick to my stomach. To make things worse she was only a teenager.

Suicide is never the option. Things will always get better no matter how hard they are at that stage.

Everyone owes it not only to themselves but to their families.

Because if you die, you aren't the one that suffers. Your friends and family are.

Sinbad_old

Even the toughest warrior has his demons. well done the chief to come out and speak of them.

Should be an awesome fight against Campo. hate to pick a winner.

LeagueNut_old

Sinbad said:
Should be an awesome fight against Campo. hate to pick a winner.
Agreed, it'll be a ripper. Gotta cheer for Tuimavave though, he is up against an Aussie after all. :p

Sinbad_old

I'll agree with that !
Go the kiwi whoever you are. Does anyone know if it is televised?

Jesbass_old

RS_Dragon said:
sad story huh.

Not at all! He has overcome depression and a suicide attempt, and has since managed to turn his life aorund for the betterment of others!

(I know what you were getting at, that the initial part was sad, but I think the outcome is nothing short of marvellous.)

AmeriKiwi_old

There`s a lot of truth in the old adage stating, "That which doesn`t kill us makes us stronger".

*Kimmy*_old

Its really great that he spoke about it. It wouldnt be an easy think to come public about.

priceys_girl_old

wow!!!! that is so brave of him to go public about it hey..... good on him!!!

suicide is usually a taboo subject but i think it needs 2 be spoken about more!