General Tony Tuimavave

LeagueNut_old

Tuimavave goes public over suicide attempt

Former rugby league hardman Tony Tuimavave has gone public over attempted suicide to make people stop and think

2 April 2006 - article from www.rugbyleague.co.nz

Former rugby league hardman Tony Tuimavave has gone public over his attempted suicide, hoping it will give people reason to stop and think.

He has told a Sunday newspaper he tried to kill himself, by getting drunk and smashing his car into a wall.

According to this morning's Sunday News it happened about two years ago, when he was afraid 'skeletons in his closet' were going to become public knowledge.

He says he has gone public to show other people that when they are under a lot of pressure, they should not try to deal with it alone.
Wow, that's a bit of a shock. But that's a great message right there - don't try to deal with these things by yourself. There's ALWAYS someone out there who knows exactly what you might be going through, or someone who will be willing to listen and help you out where they can.

Sorry to be all serious here, but there have been a few posts in this forum recently about this sort of topic. Let's hope that anyone who's feeling really down can find it in themselves to put their hands up instead of taking a more drastic option.

AliN_old

what a thing to speak out about, but good on him for doing it.
With the respect the Chief has in the league community, he may just touch someone who needs help.

AmeriKiwi_old

Really good post, L.N., and I`m glad you pointed out that help IS always available for those feeling desperate. We all feel down and question ourselves at some point in our lives, but suicide is never the answer to the problems we face. Understanding that problems/challenges are a part of life, just as the good times are, faith that tomorrow will be a better day, and acceptance that the cruel actions of other peoples` words or actions are something we have no control over, BUT that we can control our own responses to them are the key elements in moving forward in life. Difficulties and challenges are designed to teach us and to help us grow, both mentally and spiritually. We all not only have the right to live a content life, we have an obligation to do so.
Suicide or simply existing but giving up on life are never the answers.

Kav_old

It takes a lot of courage for someone to publicly admit that they tried suicide as a way out of their problems - but then Tony was chief courageous on the football field.

Kav

warrior_girl81_old

what a great post and what a brave man tony is for making this public knowledge. hopefully he makes alot of people stop and think about gettin help for their problems and saves a few lives.

PHANTOM MENACE_old

It was in the paper today as well. Great read about him and his demons.

Also he is fighting in fight for life this year against
KEVIN CAMPION. What a fight that will be

Robster_old

God Bless Him, I be first to admit if he killed himself it would of really hit me hard and I can imagine alot of this forum would of been hit hard as well, thank god he's still alive. GOOD ON YEA CHIEF :D having the courage to speak out and help other people , great stuff champ.

Wiki_old

Wow, very strong man to come out and talk like that. I admire that.

Two days ago a girl jumped off a car park building about twenty metres from where I work, while I was working. I felt sick to my stomach. To make things worse she was only a teenager.

Suicide is never the option. Things will always get better no matter how hard they are at that stage.

Everyone owes it not only to themselves but to their families.

Because if you die, you aren't the one that suffers. Your friends and family are.

Sinbad_old

Even the toughest warrior has his demons. well done the chief to come out and speak of them.

Should be an awesome fight against Campo. hate to pick a winner.

LeagueNut_old

Sinbad said:
Should be an awesome fight against Campo. hate to pick a winner.
Agreed, it'll be a ripper. Gotta cheer for Tuimavave though, he is up against an Aussie after all. :p

Sinbad_old

I'll agree with that !
Go the kiwi whoever you are. Does anyone know if it is televised?

Jesbass_old

RS_Dragon said:
sad story huh.

Not at all! He has overcome depression and a suicide attempt, and has since managed to turn his life aorund for the betterment of others!

(I know what you were getting at, that the initial part was sad, but I think the outcome is nothing short of marvellous.)

AmeriKiwi_old

There`s a lot of truth in the old adage stating, "That which doesn`t kill us makes us stronger".

*Kimmy*_old

Its really great that he spoke about it. It wouldnt be an easy think to come public about.

priceys_girl_old

wow!!!! that is so brave of him to go public about it hey..... good on him!!!

suicide is usually a taboo subject but i think it needs 2 be spoken about more!

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Ponies rein in co-coaches for the long haul
BY SCOTT MORGAN

NEW LEADERSHIP: Cliff Bailey, left, and Tony Tuimavave are the new co-coaches of the Ponsonby Ponies league team.

Former Warriors hard man Tony Tuimavave is looking to put the heart and soul back into the Ponsonby
Ponies League Club.

Tuimavave, along with Cliff Bailey, are the new co-coaches of the club’s premier side for the season starting next month.

"The Ponsonby area is where I grew up all my life," he says.

"It’s a great community and we really want to put back into it."

Ponsonby has a proud tradition, winning the Fox Memorial Auckland club competition 12 times between 1917 and 1973.

"It’s good for the kids to know why the club is here and who started it," says Tuimavave, who played 78 games for the Warriors between 1995 and 2000.

The former Kiwi and Western Samoa player believes using his NRL experience will help youngsters from local suburbs develop into top-class players.

"It’s something I want to offer back to the youth. They need to learn about discipline and sacrifice.

"We can all talk about it, but it’s a matter of if you really want it, you’ll put the effort in."

Bailey, whose cousins Roger and Gary played for Ponsonby and the Kiwis, also feels the premier side would benefit from a more professional approach.

"Our main focus is on building from the bottom up and looking at long-term sustainability."

The squad has been training since last month, with 25 players practising at their Victoria Park base.

But Bailey is hoping for more recruits once the touch season finishes in the next month.

He says a match against the Warriors development side this Sunday will be a good test of where the side sits before the season starts.

As for the fortunes of the club in this year’s premier competition, Bailey says the first goal is to make it past the grading round and into the Fox Memorial competition.

Last year the Ponies played the second half of the season in the second division Sharman Cup.

For more information on playing for Ponsonby call Cliff Bailey on 021-590-037 or email cliff.bailey@win dowslive.com.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/lo...9/Ponies-rein-in-co-coaches-for-the-long-haul

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor

League star back from the brink

By FINBAR BUNTING 23:34, Mar 14 2009​

A SUICIDE attempt nearly ended Tony Tuimavave's life in 2004 but now the original Warriors hard man is back home and helping other troubled souls find solace in the sport that made him a star.

Just over four years ago the league enforcer known as "The Chief" ran out of courage, got drunk and sped down Auckland's north-western motorway in his Mercedes, ploughing headfirst into a concrete wall at 120kmh.

He was haunted by the demons of his past and threats from people they would make his troubled youth public.

"The pressure of things from my closet got me. There were a lot of things happening in my life I didn't have a good hold on," an emotional Tuimavave confessed to Sunday News in April, 2006.

"But I was fortunate. Some people have the misfortune of not coming back from what I went through. I thank God for giving me another chance of life."

The suicide attempt left Tuimavave a broken man.

His arms and legs were smashed and he suffered horrific internal injuries.

Rods were implanted in his legs to aid recovery but they gave him almost constant pain.

And the once-crashing back-rower hasn't been able to run since.

"It was causing me a lot of pain up in the Islands (Samoa), when I was training the boys on the field, with the weather up there, the heat and the humidity. It's a bit different to down here," Tuimavave said.

"It's still a bit sore with a few nerves damaged."

But now the hard man who was once so tough he clicked his own dislocated back into place to return to the football field is on the mend.

In January and October last year the rods were removed from Tuimavave's legs in separate operations.

And as the final reminder of his darkest hour was removed from his flesh, the former pub tough-man boxing competition winner decided to help other troubled souls through sport.

Tuimavave accepted a job as a development officer for Auckland league club Ponsonby Ponies, where his playing career kicked off.

His role is to help identify talent and impart some of his wisdom as a player and coach. The move will help stabilise the club after the tragic death a fortnight ago of coach Clinton Moa, who drowned saving the lives of his three young cousins at a Northland beach.

Tuimavave said he wanted to help young men avoid getting into trouble and saw league as a way out.

"There's a lot of trouble out there with the kids now. It's a tragedy. I want them to get back into a positive frame of mind, back into sport and stop them hanging around with bad youth," he said.

Ponsonby Ponies committee member Mary Malloy said the club was "rapt" to have someone of Tuimavave's character in the mix.

"He's an icon and he's giving the boys the benefit of his experience.

"His knowledge is great and he's a role model for the young boys, playing for the Warriors."
Tuimavave is back in New Zealand for another four weeks, then will return to Apia, Samoa, where he runs a successful jet-ski business which he said is, "a bit of fun in the water".

His life now back on track, Tuimavave told Sunday News his focus is on his business and helping out rugby league here and back in the Islands.

"A lot of my time here will be spent on Ponsonby rugby league, getting them sorted for the coming Fox Memorial season," he said.

"When I go back, I'll see what is happening up there, and if they are keen on running rugby league up in the Islands I'm willing to help in any way possible, but at the same time Ponsonby is happy to have me on board."

"I'm at a crossroads between the Islands and here. I had a talk to the board members and we are all pretty clear on what we want through the year. Since we (the Kiwis) are world champions now, it's a great time."

• Wow
Reactions: wizards rage
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
279382093 5031263303623984 4968741113522623089 n
Tony Tuimavave 1989 Northcote Tigers​