Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it does just that.
so, is it worth you spending money you borrowed on things that you either don't need or doesn't add value to your place even though you can afford to repay it? Your credit rating might be fine but you are then incurring interests costs that affect future purchases and spending on things that actually need money spent on them.

How do you maintain an AAA credit rating, if you're also out of control with spending? 🤔
your ability to pay back debt doesn't mean you are in control of your spending
I personally think you're both right and both wrong at the same time..... maintaining a governmental credit rating, in board terms, can be achieved three ways.... earn more money through tax (Labour's way), controlling spending (National's way) or a combination of both in equal measure (what I'd consider the optimal way).

MPs petitioned over allowing competitive shooters to use semi-automatic firearms
2 hours ago
1708037756104.png

Semi-automatic firearms such as these AR15 rifles were banned in New Zealand after the Christchurch terror attacks in 2019 (file picture). Photo credit: New Zealand Police
By Anneke Smith for RNZ

MPs have heard arguments both for and against allowing competitive shooters to use outlawed semi-automatic firearms.

The weapons were banned in a sweeping gun crackdown implemented six days after the 15 March terror attacks in 2019.

Five years on, politicians have now heard a petition asking lawmakers to allow competitive shooters to own these weapons again.

Petitioner Niru Wijesundara said New Zealanders had been competing on an unequal footing since the gun crackdown.

"They would never consider doing those horrendous acts because they're quite passionate about the sport and they would ensure the future generations would continue to have access to these weapons for strictly sport competition purposes."

Wairarapa man Phil Dunlop from Pistol New Zealand spoke about the cost and difficulty of shipping and using equipment he cannot practise with in his own country.

"I was invited to compete in a mini rifle match by the British team... and again we're restricted to 10 round magazines here where there's no restriction in the UK.

"I can buy magazines over there but my point is this is sort of a little draconian where countries with a reputation for strict gun control like the UK have more liberal laws than us."

The police opposed the petition - arguing it would introduce unacceptable risk.

Superintendent Richard Wilson said the proposed law change could give criminals, gangs and terrorists access to high-powered guns by either stealing them off unsuspecting licence holders or getting them from the "very few" corrupt licence holders.

"These would carry a really high street value and black market value, should they be able to make it that way. Internationally, there is a direct correlation between mass shootings and these types of firearms being available in ready circulation."

The police pointed out tragic cases involving high powered guns were not limited to 15 March.

In 2017, Northland man Quinn Patterson murdered his property manager and her daughter with a semi-automatic gun, illegally supplied by a licensed firearm owner.

In 2020, constable Matthew Hunt was murdered with a semi-automatic weapon during a routine traffic stop in West Auckland.

Federation of Islamic Association president Abdur Razzaq said it was not worth the risk and there was no evidence New Zealand was performing worse in international events as a result of tougher gun laws.

"The risk just does not outweigh the gains and the gains are for one or two individuals. These are not national events."

The Council of Licensed Firearms Owners was not behind the petition but said the organisation does support it.

Council chair Michael Dowling argued the risk could be managed - as was currently being done with existing firearm holders.

Asked by Labour's Deborah Russell why anyone would want to shoot the likes of an AR15 - Dowling said the reasons vary.

"It could be nostalgia, it could be that they used that in services, in police or in Defence, and they want to continue with the training and the programmes they used to have for shooting competitively.

"For me, I'm interested in the history and the mechanisms."

MPs will now write a report which the Minister in Charge of Firearms - ACT's Nicole McKee - said she was looking forward to receiving.

It is likely the petition's proposed law changes would also be considered when the coalition government rewrites the Arms Act.

RNZ.

MPs petitioned over allowing competitive shooters to use semi-automatic firearms
2 hours ago
View attachment 5120
Semi-automatic firearms such as these AR15 rifles were banned in New Zealand after the Christchurch terror attacks in 2019 (file picture). Photo credit: New Zealand Police
By Anneke Smith for RNZ

MPs have heard arguments both for and against allowing competitive shooters to use outlawed semi-automatic firearms.

The weapons were banned in a sweeping gun crackdown implemented six days after the 15 March terror attacks in 2019.

Five years on, politicians have now heard a petition asking lawmakers to allow competitive shooters to own these weapons again.

Petitioner Niru Wijesundara said New Zealanders had been competing on an unequal footing since the gun crackdown.

"They would never consider doing those horrendous acts because they're quite passionate about the sport and they would ensure the future generations would continue to have access to these weapons for strictly sport competition purposes."

Wairarapa man Phil Dunlop from Pistol New Zealand spoke about the cost and difficulty of shipping and using equipment he cannot practise with in his own country.

"I was invited to compete in a mini rifle match by the British team... and again we're restricted to 10 round magazines here where there's no restriction in the UK.

"I can buy magazines over there but my point is this is sort of a little draconian where countries with a reputation for strict gun control like the UK have more liberal laws than us."

The police opposed the petition - arguing it would introduce unacceptable risk.

Superintendent Richard Wilson said the proposed law change could give criminals, gangs and terrorists access to high-powered guns by either stealing them off unsuspecting licence holders or getting them from the "very few" corrupt licence holders.

"These would carry a really high street value and black market value, should they be able to make it that way. Internationally, there is a direct correlation between mass shootings and these types of firearms being available in ready circulation."

The police pointed out tragic cases involving high powered guns were not limited to 15 March.

In 2017, Northland man Quinn Patterson murdered his property manager and her daughter with a semi-automatic gun, illegally supplied by a licensed firearm owner.

In 2020, constable Matthew Hunt was murdered with a semi-automatic weapon during a routine traffic stop in West Auckland.

Federation of Islamic Association president Abdur Razzaq said it was not worth the risk and there was no evidence New Zealand was performing worse in international events as a result of tougher gun laws.

"The risk just does not outweigh the gains and the gains are for one or two individuals. These are not national events."

The Council of Licensed Firearms Owners was not behind the petition but said the organisation does support it.

Council chair Michael Dowling argued the risk could be managed - as was currently being done with existing firearm holders.

Asked by Labour's Deborah Russell why anyone would want to shoot the likes of an AR15 - Dowling said the reasons vary.

"It could be nostalgia, it could be that they used that in services, in police or in Defence, and they want to continue with the training and the programmes they used to have for shooting competitively.

"For me, I'm interested in the history and the mechanisms."

MPs will now write a report which the Minister in Charge of Firearms - ACT's Nicole McKee - said she was looking forward to receiving.

It is likely the petition's proposed law changes would also be considered when the coalition government rewrites the Arms Act.

RNZ.

I just can’t understand the need for these in this country, do we need to mutilate the animal when hunting? Or fun to shoot in the bushes on the piss? Why create a place where they potentially fall into the wrong hands?

I just can’t understand the need for these in this country, do we need to mutilate the animal when hunting? Or fun to shoot in the bushes on the piss? Why create a place where they potentially fall into the wrong hands?

No one misses them apart from a small bunch of gun freaks.

At first farmers and other Yahoos tried to argue that they need them for Rabbits.

Then they shut up about it when they realized no one was listening.

What possible value is there in letting gun freaks have shooting contests with Machine guns? especially relative to the welfare of a nation.

As for their stupid argument about being passionate and reliable people....do they have some kind of mental illness proof dna or something?

It is bad enough that a lot of people have shot guns and 303's that they shouldn't have, but they are entitled to because they legally qualify....even though they are the part of the chain in the guns on the streets and murder stats in this country....I know plenty of gun owners who are real Kients. But we live with a chancing it mentality - we are a highly armed society, letting people who live a million miles from the country have guns in the wardrobe.

Sure, I understand some professions need guns, like Farmers, and pest controllers.

The rest are bloody lucky they are allowed to go murder ducks when they want to wave a loud phallic symbol around like it is a birth right.

Last edited:
No one misses them apart from a small bunch of gun freaks.

At first farmers and other Yahoos tried to argue that they need them for Rabbits.

Then they shut up about it when they realized no one was listening.

What possible value is there in letting gun freaks have shooting contests with Machine guns? especially relative to the welfare of a nation.

As for their stupid argument about being passionate and reliable people....do they have some kind of mental illness proof dna or something?

It is bad enough a lot people have shot guns and 303's that they shouldn't have, but they are entitled to because they legally qualify....even though they are the part of the chain in the guns on the streets and murder stats in this country....I know plenty of gun owners who are real Kients. But we live in chancing it - armed society, letting people who live a million miles from the country have guns in the wardrobe.

Sure, I understand some professions need guns, like Farmers, and pest controllers.

The rest are bloody lucky they are allowed to go murder ducks when they want to wave a loud phallic symbol around like it is a birth right.
We don't usually agree on the politics forum sup but we do on this.
I reckon Govt should run a gun amnesty, hand in any gun, legal or not and get a fishing rod and reel in return.

Just for a bit of perspective, I live in the country and have several firearms used for pest control.

Most probably don't know but semi auto rifles and shotguns are still legal as long as they comply with magazine sizes (10 rounds for a .22, 5 rounds for a shotgun.) and the type of percussion. ie. My .22 is a rimfire which is legal but centre fire is not. Magazines must be tubular, not box.

The process to get and retain a licence is very extensive, as are the requirements to keep the firearms locked away with separate storage of bolts/ammunition etc.

Rabbits and Opossums are the two main pests along with weasels and stoats and Wild Cats. Rabbits for the obvious reason, they compete for the grass but the unobvious one is they dig small indentations into the ground (not burrows but partial holes) which stock can snap a leg in. Opossums are culled due to the incidence of TB which they can pass onto the stock. Weasels/Stoats and Feral cats speak for themselves with the damage they do to birdlife. Unbelievable how people dump cats and kittens out in the country and don't think of the consequences. Most efficient killing machines on the planet.

A full grown stoat at 100m is a handful, bit like a Hare. Generally takes more than one shot, especially when they're moving Shot gun is better but getting close enough is a problem.

Fully agree that MSSA rifles should be banned, the magazine is the issue not necessarily the rifle itself.
Mr Frank should be able to go into more detail about that but having an extended Mag capacity of 50-60 rounds is not unusual for those types of weapons.

Just for a bit of perspective, I live in the country and have several firearms used for pest control.

Most probably don't know but semi auto rifles and shotguns are still legal as long as they comply with magazine sizes (10 rounds for a .22, 5 rounds for a shotgun.) and the type of percussion. ie. My .22 is a rimfire which is legal but centre fire is not. Magazines must be tubular, not box.

The process to get and retain a licence is very extensive, as are the requirements to keep the firearms locked away with separate storage of bolts/ammunition etc.

Rabbits and Opossums are the two main pests along with weasels and stoats and Wild Cats. Rabbits for the obvious reason, they compete for the grass but the unobvious one is they dig small indentations into the ground (not burrows but partial holes) which stock can snap a leg in. Opossums are culled due to the incidence of TB which they can pass onto the stock. Weasels/Stoats and Feral cats speak for themselves with the damage they do to birdlife. Unbelievable how people dump cats and kittens out in the country and don't think of the consequences. Most efficient killing machines on the planet.

A full grown stoat at 100m is a handful, bit like a Hare. Generally takes more than one shot, especially when they're moving Shot gun is better but getting close enough is a problem.

Fully agree that MSSA rifles should be banned, the magazine is the issue not necessarily the rifle itself.
Mr Frank should be able to go into more detail about that but having an extended Mag capacity of 50-60 rounds is not unusual for those types of weapons.

People like you are supposed to have guns.

Last edited:
To privatise prisons and extract profit they need prisoners. To protect corporates pillaging our resources there is a need to criminalise protest.

I have no doubt both will be attempted during this term of (corrupt) government.

People like you are supposed to have guns.
I'm not a great fan tbh but in the rural environment they are helpful as the only other alternative is to introduce selective viruses and we know how that will end up.

I'm anal about the gun cabinet and have had to call out the locksmith several times having put the keys away in a "safe" place.

While rifles and shotguns have their uses in the rural environment, full auto weapons and hand guns are specifically designed to kill people.

Lynyrd Skynyrd have a great song, Saturday Night Special, which says it all.

The old man had a bolt action .22 on the farm for controlling rabbits…. not that they had much too worry about…. he was a bad shot and the gun wasn’t accurate over 100m.
That's actually the argument for semi auto in .22.
At 100m, very difficult to drop a rabbit with a single shot and hard to get closer unless spotlighting. Opossums are even worse. Can take 3-4 rounds to put them away sometimes, and contrary to common belief, damn things can move when they want to, especially through foliage

We’ve been living beyond our means. National has said this. Treasury has said this. Tax payers are saying it. Even Labour was cutting spending.

Yet people are confused and outraged when the hard decisions are made…
While I defended you a lot, I t’s not “living beyond means” it’s incompetence. On both sides.

Ive wailed banshee about misappropriation in road funding in NZ. That’s not under/over spending, it’s wasteful and corrupt.

Guns. Lots of experience, not a huge fanatic. Kinda like a mechanic and a wrench.

But I am of the opinion that regular civilians shouldn’t have unrestricted access to firearms.

And any calibre over .22 can be deadly and ammunition count : reloading time are all important in applying fire. If anyone has actually watched the Chch video you will become aware of these things.

To privatise prisons and extract profit they need prisoners. To protect corporates pillaging our resources there is a need to criminalise protest.

I have no doubt both will be attempted during this term of (corrupt) government.

There’s some absolute bangers in that article…

It would need to be run as an entirely maximum-security facility because it would put every feuding gang in the country in proximity. Nothing like this has ever been tried in New Zealand, because nobody has ever put so little thought into a criminal justice policy before.

That's actually the argument for semi auto in .22.
At 100m, very difficult to drop a rabbit with a single shot and hard to get closer unless spotlighting. Opossums are even worse. Can take 3-4 rounds to put them away sometimes, and contrary to common belief, damn things can move when they want to, especially through foliage
Dad took his gun up to Alaska to give it to one of my nephews…… it was pretty much a pea shooter compared to the guns they use for hunting up there…. a .22 isn’t stopping the moose they usually hunt.

Firstly, he had to get permission from the US Embassy in Wellington.

Then, on the flights between AKL to LA and then up to Seattle, he had to check the gun in so it would travel with the luggage, the bolt had to be in his carry on bag and the magazine given to the head steward to be securely stoyed.

He then travelled by ship up the Alaskan inside passage. When he boarded the ship, he went to surrender the gun. The crew member he was talking too laughed and told him to keep it. He then told Dad that over30% of his fellow passengers would be carrying weapons on the ship and they don’t have the secure space to hold the weapons in.

There’s some absolute bangers in that article…

It would need to be run as an entirely maximum-security facility because it would put every feuding gang in the country in proximity. Nothing like this has ever been tried in New Zealand.
You have to laugh since the criminal justice system has protocols to avoid creating situations that will kill staff.

Still, this is not even as bad as the changes the new Minister of mental health is introducing to kill mental health patients by discouraging police support in call outs that are often violent....including people being stopped from jumping off bridges or cops breaking down doors to get Ambo staff to overdose patients.

This shit is nothing compared to the other Orwellian nightmare coming for other systems that dumb fk conservatives are proposing.

Build the super max gang prison....hell why not hire someone like a News Talk ZB host to narrate the yard killings, maybe even have a gamer prize for the last man standing, but stay the fuck away from cutting police help in mental health emergencies you retards.

Back