Internationals Tonga vs Samoa

Viking_old

I'm so dissapointed with Samoa, but not surprised.

They had more superstars then any other 'minnow' nation combined and got towled up by a more passionate Irish side.

It just goes to show what I've always thought, even with all their natural skill and razzle dazzle, the Island boys are missing that one thing that makes league players great. Heart.

I just hope all these 'Kiwi Samoans' like Vagana and Lauititi that consider playing for Samoa a greater honour than playing for NZ, take all their combined millions of dollars back to Samoa and inject it into the local game and country as a whole. THAT, would be honouring their parents heritage more than just pulling on a jersey. I just read that Samoa is the 10th poorest nation on the planet, no other pacific nations were even in the top 50. All these famous millionaire Samoans like 'the Rock' and all the NFL players and NRL and Rugby players that 'represent' Samoa need to really help out their homeland and build schools and hospitals and sports grounds, instead of spending it all on bling bling and corn-rows.

Samoa were rubbish and after I was going on about Ali's acheivements he had a nothing game, just my luck! Dunno about lack of heart but there was certainly no leadership or organisation in the halves. Vagana was playing quite well as do a lot of players when they've about to retire but he's no captain. Ben Roberts showed exactly why he wasn't needed by the Kiwis.

10th poorest nation in the world? That must be going by their GDP which is all relevant to the cost of living. I've been there twice and nobody's going hungry, the schools are full, hospitals seem good and they've even got rid of all those mangy dogs that ran around the markets in town. Everybody is fairly happy, they just don't have the luxuries that we have but then there isn't the debt or stress either so it just depends what you want from life eh?

Viking_old

What about players giving 10% of their earnings back to Samoan league if they feel that passionate about it or even the idea of one player sponsering one village or region's club and give something back in that way, invest some time and give the Samoan kids a player to look up to etc. That way they'll build a personal connection with Samoan league in the same way that they still have ties to their junior club in NZ or OZ.

playdaball_old

Viking - Have to agree with your comments re Samoa. I've never seen hungry people there or for vthat matter unhappy folk.

shotgunz_old

I'm so dissapointed with Samoa, but not surprised.

They had more superstars then any other 'minnow' nation combined and got towled up by a more passionate Irish side.

It just goes to show what I've always thought, even with all their natural skill and razzle dazzle, the Island boys are missing that one thing that makes league players great. Heart.

I just hope all these 'Kiwi Samoans' like Vagana and Lauititi that consider playing for Samoa a greater honour than playing for NZ, take all their combined millions of dollars back to Samoa and inject it into the local game and country as a whole. THAT, would be honouring their parents heritage more than just pulling on a jersey. I just read that Samoa is the 10th poorest nation on the planet, no other pacific nations were even in the top 50. All these famous millionaire Samoans like 'the Rock' and all the NFL players and NRL and Rugby players that 'represent' Samoa need to really help out their homeland and build schools and hospitals and sports grounds, instead of spending it all on bling bling and corn-rows.

Lol where did you get your info from bullshit.com stop talking out of your arse samoa 10 poorest in the world yeah right was in samoa with the missus last year and i felt they were becoming to modinised especially the city of apia the facilities they bulit for the south pacific games last year were amazing now how does a so called poor country as you say afford to build such things the holiday resorts they had such as the sinalei was fantastic aggie greys right up there my overall experience of samoa was that the people were well off and friendly Savaii was the best out of the 3 islands just magic there. Samoa is way ahead of fiji an tonga especially tonga tonga to me needs some serious work so where did you get your 10 poorets list from cause this is the list i found. So next time get your facts straight and dont talk shit.

Rank Country GDP - per capita
1. Malawi $ 600
2. Somalia $ 600
3. Comoros $ 600
4. Solomon Islands $ 600
5. Congo, Democratic Republic of the $ 700
6. Burundi $ 700
7. East Timor $ 800
8. Tanzania $ 800
9. Afghanistan $ 800
10. Yemen $ 900

Viking_old

Lol where did you get your info from bullshit.com stop talking out of your arse samoa 10 poorest in the world yeah right was in samoa with the missus last year and i felt they were becoming to modinised especially the city of apia the facilities they bulit for the south pacific games last year were amazing now how does a so called poor country as you say afford to build such things the holiday resorts they had such as the sinalei was fantastic aggie greys right up there my overall experience of samoa was that the people were well off and friendly Savaii was the best out of the 3 islands just magic there. Samoa is way ahead of fiji an tonga especially tonga tonga to me needs some serious work so where did you get your 10 poorets list from cause this is the list i found. So next time get your facts straight and dont talk shit.

1. Malawi $ 600
2. Somalia $ 600
3. Comoros $ 600
4. Solomon Islands $ 600
6. Burundi $ 700
7. East Timor $ 800
8. Tanzania $ 800
9. Afghanistan $ 800
10. Yemen $ 900

Welcome to the forum.

The development in Apia for the games was done with Chinese money, be interesting to see what they'll want in return down the track eh? As long as Samoa doesn't ever sell it's land to foreigners like we've done in NZ.

I judge a place's standard of living by the amount of people I see sleeping rough. Last time I was in Sydney, I saw hundreds of homeless people, especially at night near the town hall. In Samoa I saw one and he was completely nuts but people still give him food and money.

Northern_Union

If Samoa is that well off then NZ wont need to give it $100 odd million over the next few years?

Viking_old

In theory, no. I wouldn't have thought Samoa needs it but I don't know where that money goes. I wish some if it was going to local league development. It's probably organised by the rugby old boys network to ensure they keep the supply of potential ABs fresh, just to do the dirty work or run very fast on the wings you understand, all the thinking and leading will be done by a Cantabrian.

Samoa is a protectorate of NZ isn't it? If NZ wants to play big brother than they need to come up with some pocket money. Just as a matter of interest, why historically did NZ feel the need to colonise or govern in the Pacific anyway?

Northern_Union

As far as i know only the Cook Islands is a protectorate of New Zealands. About 4 months ago Winston Peters announced a $600 million package for the pacific coming out of the New Zealand tax payers pockets.

Viking_old

I'm sure there's some islands that need help but Fiji, Samoa, Tonga shouldn't. Even when Winston isn't in power he isn't finished with us eh?

The seasonal work scheme is going well though and I know of a few companies that recruit directly from the islands now, my own included.

2big2strong_old

1. Malawi $ 600
2. Somalia $ 600
3. Comoros $ 600
4. Solomon Islands $ 600
6. Burundi $ 700
7. East Timor $ 800
8. Tanzania $ 800
9. Afghanistan $ 800
10. Yemen $ 900

Bow down when you come to my town Mr. 1 post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Viking_old

Your own island? The North one?

Yeah, my island the North one. There's been a few changes since you were here last. I changed my name to 'National' by deed poll and a whole lot of people I don't know voted for me yesterday, talk about lucky.

2big2strong_old

This is the top 50 poorest nations in alphabetical order.

World's 50 Poorest Countries

UN list of least developed countries1

Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Kiribati, Laos, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, East Timor, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Tanzania, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia.

It's comes in at #36 on U.N's 'Least developed' nations list...

Just to put it into perspective, Somalia and Sudan rank as 'more developed' and they're considered 3rd world countries.

https://www.un.org/special-rep/ohrlls/ldc/list.htm

Northern_Union

Yeah, my island the North one. There's been a few changes since you were here last. I changed my name to 'National' by deed poll and a whole lot of people I don't know voted for me yesterday, talk about lucky.

If i come back can i be one of your lackies?? or even a lap dog? And i promise to only address you as High lord National of the Great Northern Matropolise.

Viking_old

Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Kiribati, Laos, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, East Timor, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Tanzania, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia.

Just to put it into perspective, Somalia and Sudan rank as 'more developed' and they're considered 3rd world countries.

You have to question the how they judge 'development' though. Samoa only has 170,000 people compared to many millions in Somalia and the Sudan. All of Samoa's roads and there's probably 5 in total, are sealed. All children go to school, most would have access to computers and the internet either at school or at home (on dialup though). Everyone has access to TV and hospitals. There's quite a few American cars on the road as they drive on the right hand side of the road and many are brand new. There's even a university.

Samoa's the kind of place I hope never gets too much development, it's great the way it is unlike Fiji.

Viking_old

If i come back can i be one of your lackies?? or even a lap dog? And i promise to only address you as High lord National of the Great Northern Matropolise.

I'd love to fast track you into the cabinet NU but unfortunately acceptance will only be through my new realty tv show 'National's next lacky' where I scrap all of the electorate seats and candidates will have to perform dance routines to jingles and slogans so the public can vote for them. It'll cost 1$ a vote which will of course will be going to MY 'development' fund. There's nothing to stop you from voting for yourself as many times as you like though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

Wowsers, some interesting stats on that site. I've been to the country ranked 65th on the poverty rating of 103 developing countries, with 19.9% of the population living on less than $1USD per day, and I intend to visit the country ranked 81st (34.1%).