Internationals Tonga Squad v Kiwis

• Thread starter Morningstar_old
  • Start date

2big2strong_old

I reckon he closes his mouth after making an 'N' sound, but it's entirely possible to interpret it either way.

The reason it got brought back up is as I mentioned earlier:

To expand on that, Sideswipe were asking readers to submit memorable one liners from New Zealand TV. (Even one of mine got in there, so they were definitely scraping the barrel!) It was inevitable that the O for Awesome/Olsen line would get brought up, and then other readers debated what it was that he was actually saying. Some said it was 'awesome', while others thought it sounded closer to 'ocean'.

After the Sideswipe discussion, Mai FM ran a radio poll about it, and Robina called up and explained. There's no real point asking me how they're friends with Olsen, but if you're really desperate to know, I'll ask Donna Filipaina...but it's bit of a non-issue, I reckon!

Here's the final Sideswipe blurb, (after several days of debate over the Wheel of Fortune appearance):

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sideswipe/news/article.cfm?c_id=702&objectid=10584896

It honestly sounds to me like Robina was just driving along and listening to Mai, and figured she could offer some insight into the debate.

As always, you've managed to back up your claim with style! I now see it from a different point of view, however I will continue to say 'O for Awesome!' albeit now knowing that it doesn't hold as much value... Just like when I found out Santa wasn't real and the Easter Bunny was made up. That was a bad year for me last year, I was devistated when I found out.

Jesbass_old

As always, you've managed to back up your claim with style! I now see it from a different point of view, however I will continue to say 'O for Awesome!' albeit now knowing that it doesn't hold as much value... Just like when I found out Santa wasn't real and the Easter Bunny was made up. That was a bad year for me last year, I was devistated when I found out.

Haha, yeah, it's a far less enjoyable TV moment knowing that we had it wrong all along, eh!

And what's this "Santa isn't real" nonsense? Somebody's gonna get a ban real bad! :D

Viking_old

Haha, I knew you'd come through with the goods Viking, my main man when it comes to the grass roots scene in NZ.

I've read an article on Zensei in a Superleague magazine, he looks enormous. They said he was a distant cousin of Krisnan and that he could develop into a Feleti Mateo style lock or 6. Very good stuff.

Also, it's very good to see the Warriors signing anything with a heart beat. Obviously we won't be able to keep everyone, but it will minimize the amount of NZ talent leaking over to NZ like what happened during the early 2000's with SBW, Asotasi and Issac Luke etc. At least this way we can examine the stock before we let them slip through the gaps.

He'd be about the size of Krisnan if not a little bigger. Although he's half Samoan, he's always played for the Maori sides and speaks the language fluently. He's played centre and second row mostly until they switched him to a full time 6 this year and he's made a good go of it. I heard that Manly had a look at him last year and told him he'd have to work on his fitness. I haven't seen the latest Superleague, is he signed anywhere?

I've always been impressed with Maori Rugby League, they run well-organised tournaments up and down the country and the kids play with real passion. A lot of Ben Henry's development has come through their rep teams. I'd love to see a national Samoan 18s or Tongan 18s side run against the development and NZ Maori squads.

There's two different viewpoints on the Warriors signing of kids. We're all pleased that they give the kids a run but I think they try to get them all and it leaves some kids high and dry who could've made a go of it overseas. There's also some kids that would only improve if they were out of their comfort zone and there's plenty of signed kids that don't attend their training sessions.

Viking_old

Yikes. With the exception of Clayton Friend's boy and young Inu, (and some of the coaching staff), I don't recognise any of those names.

A few of the Auckland boys are actually from the development squad themselves.

2big2strong_old

He'd be about the size of Krisnan if not a little bigger. Although he's half Samoan, he's always played for the Maori sides and speaks the language fluently. He's played centre and second row mostly until they switched him to a full time 6 this year and he's made a good go of it. I heard that Manly had a look at him last year and told him he'd have to work on his fitness. I haven't seen the latest Superleague, is he signed anywhere?

I've always been impressed with Maori Rugby League, they run well-organised tournaments up and down the country and the kids play with real passion. A lot of Ben Henry's development has come through their rep teams. I'd love to see a national Samoan 18s or Tongan 18s side run against the development and NZ Maori squads.

There's two different viewpoints on the Warriors signing of kids. We're all pleased that they give the kids a run but I think they try to get them all and it leaves some kids high and dry who could've made a go of it overseas. There's also some kids that would only improve if they were out of their comfort zone and there's plenty of signed kids that don't attend their training sessions.

Not that I can tell. It says that he was with Manly for 2007 then doesn't say much at all after that about his future, just talks about him being a TeAtatu boy since he was 4 and he supports Melbourne. They've got him at 105kg and 177cms... which doesn't seem right to me, he'd be a fat little ball. It must be a typo for 187 or 197 maybe? No thats too tall.

motu1_old

Ok, I could be completely wrong but this is my take on things....... "Awesome" in fresh Samoan dialect maybe sounds like "Olsen" but he closes his lips together at the end to form an 'M' sound. If your theory is correct, why on earth has it taken nearly 20 years for this to come to the surface? It's something the Tua camp came up with because of the embarrasment of being made out to look like a fool. How would Olsen Filipaina be a friend of the family? Filipaina has lived in Sydney since the early 80's and Tua only moved to NZ in the early 80's. This does not seem logical at all, Olsen Filipaina is not someone that has carried on parading around through celebrity or sporting circles. He's a 'dusty', a garbage man combing the streets of Sydney for rubbish and he has done so since his playing days at the Tigers, a self confessed recluse.

the filipina family is massive his old man has had three or four wives and something like 30 kids olsen being one of the oldest

Viking_old

Not that I can tell. It says that he was with Manly for 2007 then doesn't say much at all after that about his future, just talks about him being a TeAtatu boy since he was 4 and he supports Melbourne. They've got him at 105kg and 177cms... which doesn't seem right to me, he'd be a fat little ball. It must be a typo for 187 or 197 maybe? No thats too tall.

187cm would be right. I think Manly would've been just looking, I'm suprised he hasn't been picked up but he's an example of what I mentioned in a previous post. If he goes the Warriors, he goes nowhere. It would take a move out of his comfort zone where he isn't the big fish in a small pond, to take his game to another level. He might prefer center but there's no shortage of better centers at the Warriors and I don't really see him in the second row either or with the defensive game to play lock so 6 will be where he makes his mark if he wants to.