Internationals TONGA RLWC 2017 Campaign

Reaction score

Panther

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I think you will see it on youtube if you look it up but there was intent there to attack the ball. You can’t see whiteheads face but he definitely can see where the ball is and Intentionally puts his hands on the ball. He pulls at the ball downwards and then comes free. I’m not a Ref and will go with your judgement but in my own opinion he definitely intends to strip the ball as opposed to tackling him.
I am not sure if he intended to strip the ball. Either way as it was one on one a strip it is legal. The only way it is not a knock on is if Whitehead propelled it towards his own line. His action would lead to the ball being pulled towards the Tongan line and a knock on by him. The fact it went towards the England line would suggest Fafita propelled it in that direction.

Reaction score
Raw Power

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I am not sure if he intended to strip the ball. Either way as it was one on one a strip it is legal. The only way it is not a knock on is if Whitehead propelled it towards his own line. His action would lead to the ball being pulled towards the Tongan line and a knock on by him. The fact it went towards the England line would suggest Fafita propelled it in that direction.
Agree, Loose carry, Fafita touched ball last, knocked forward... Knock On, every day of the week! What game are those channel 7 so called experts watching?

Reaction score
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
What an incredible game. England almost blew it at the end when the crowd gave Tonga an incredible lift. If I can stick my head above the parapet on the key refereeing decisions, I think all of the tries awarded probably were, but the ref missed a blatant forward pass in the lead up to Tonga's second try, Lolohea to Fifita was about a yard forward and I've watched it a few times now. Ref gives that and the game would have ended 20-6.

Hopefully those last 8 minutes will have given England the wake up call they need for next week. Regarding Tonga, they've potentially transformed international RL for the next few years by beating one tier 1 side and running another close

Reaction score
Viking

Viking

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Those missed opportunities by Tupou were crucial, especially the one where he dropped the ball cold with the try line wide open. Vatuvai doesn't drop those.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully those last 8 minutes will have given England the wake up call they need for next week. Regarding Tonga, they've potentially transformed international RL for the next few years by beating one tier 1 side and running another close
It was a great occasion but the international game is not going to progress with hybrid teams.

Reaction score
Viking

Viking

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It was a great occasion but the international game is not going to progress with hybrid teams.
A quick solution to the team hopping under the current rules is to make Tonga a tier one nation. It would then be impossible for any of the Tongan players to change teams unless it was playing for one of the other tier two teams.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
A quick solution to the team hopping under the current rules is to make Tonga a tier one nation. It would then be impossible for any of the Tongan players to change teams unless it was playing for one of the other tier two teams.
Fair comment brother but with the current state of affairs Tonga will take NZ's place in international rugby league. That would be fair enough if they were Tongan born, but they aren't and it isn't. They won't be getting 30000 supporters and the King at every international game, especially in England. If Tongans were that good the Warriors would be the most dominant club in the NRL.

Reaction score
Viking

Viking

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Fair comment brother but with the current state of affairs Tonga will take NZ's place in international rugby league. That would be fair enough if they were Tongan born, but they aren't and it isn't. They won't be getting 30000 supporters and the King at every international game, especially in England. If Tongans were that good the Warriors would be the most dominant club in the NRL.
I can't see any of the former Kiwi or Aussie players from the Tongan team jumping back after this cup, I don't think the Tongan people would forgive them! Taumalolo and Fifita haven't ruled it out in recent interviews though.

I'd lose a lot of respect for Taumalolo if he declared himself eligable for Kiwi selection again and would lose what little respect I have left for the Kiwis if they named or picked him. Next years test series against England is a carrot though. I have no respect for Fifita to lose.

Reaction score
Viking

Viking

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The Kiwi's will bounce back, there's a ton of talent coming through and a few in this years WC team that showed huge promise. Joseph Manu and those young Penrith forwards and Tigers boys would be honoured to wear the Kiwi's jersey for example and will show the same passion that the ex Kiwi Tongan boys have shown for Tonga in this tournament. There's also a few that showed that their international league days are over including the coach!

Reaction score
koolkat

koolkat

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Great campaign,played with passion and pride,only the kiwis could dream of.plus a coach that probably would get the goods out of the warriors too.would take Woolf over any coach we have had since clearly.hopefully he is on the radar when Kearny goes

Reaction score
wallacenz

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I was supporting England but the Tongan fans were awesome, the singing during and after the game was amazing

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
No point dwelling on the last play. Try or no try the result is recorded and nothing will change that now. I will say it was worth a lazy look upstairs. Anyway, such is life and I wont let anger or negativity fill my heart after all the love I experienced last night.

So proud of the Tongan team who carried not just each other and your passionate fans on your shoulders, but this World Cup tournament as a whole. You captured the imaginations of so many and brought fresh attention to a game that gets little press otherwise. I've only ever missed 4 Warriors home games at Mt Smart since 1995 and have never seen it light up like it did yesterday. Truly spectacular to see the colour and hear the songs of the Tongan people. Great advertisement for International Rugby League and a pressing case to increase the amount of fixtures that the Polynesian teams play.

Despite the result I'll be rooting for England in the Final. Anyone but Australia...

Reaction score

MXRecord

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It's a shame Tonga didn't make it. But Tonga and all of your fans, you've shown people like me how to really support your team and what Rugby League is all about. I hope it doesn't stop here and you continue on!!

Tonga are #3 in the world, imho and have the moral victory over England.

Reaction score
Mr. Muller

Mr. Muller

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
So proud of the boys, such an emotional roller coaster these last 2 months, being related to a few of those boys I know how much it meant to their families and especially our little island that they represented our culture and our heritage! Others will say they’re not Tongan, born here born there blah blah blah but they will never understand. My kids who are nz born have never been so interested in learning bout their Tongan heritage thanks to this group of young men lol.

To all the supporters thank you for bringing the passion colour and excitement to this World Cup, I hope we can build on something special with this group for the future! MMT PROUD!

Reaction score
Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I can't see any of the former Kiwi or Aussie players from the Tongan team jumping back after this cup, I don't think the Tongan people would forgive them! Taumalolo and Fifita haven't ruled it out in recent interviews though.

I'd lose a lot of respect for Taumalolo if he declared himself eligable for Kiwi selection again and would lose what little respect I have left for the Kiwis if they named or picked him. Next years test series against England is a carrot though. I have no respect for Fifita to lose.
I guess it may depend from the players point of view which games they have coming up. Weighing up a tour to the UK for the Kiwis or a 1 off test against Samoa might sway that decision for them.
Personally i think the kiwis should stick with players that are 100% committed to the Kiwis, not players that will play in between World Cup cycles and switch to their heritage countries for the big event!
The rugby league fed needs to ensure that countries like Tonga and Fiji now have regular meaningful games against top countries that will entice the players to stick with them rather the jum between countries.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
I was supporting England but the Tongan fans were awesome, the singing during and after the game was amazing
The hymn singing was straight out of Cardiff Arms Park, maybe better.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Others will say they’re not Tongan, born here born there blah blah blah but they will never understand.
I said that. The only thing we don't see the same is that I am a New Zealander first and foremost. I would never dream of supporting another country against mine. So no I do not understand your viewpoint at all.

Reaction score
Mr. Muller

Mr. Muller

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I said that. The only thing we don't see the same is that I am a New Zealander first and foremost. I would never dream of supporting another country against mine. So no I do not understand your viewpoint at all.
Good for you Bruce, I am a New Zealander too but Tongan by heritage, what’s hard to understand about that?

You’re probably one of those people who are telling Tongans to go back to where we came from on Facebook? Lol ‘if you don’t wanna play for us go back to your island’

I don’t see how wrong it is for these boys to choose their country of heritage?

Reaction score

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Good for you Bruce, I am a New Zealander too but Tongan by heritage, what’s hard to understand about that?

You’re probably one of those people who are telling Tongans to go back to where we came from on Facebook? Lol ‘if you don’t wanna play for us go back to your island’

I don’t see how wrong it is for these boys to choose their country of heritage?
So do you think those who identify as Tongan should be picked in NZ underage rep sides and given the same coaching and opportunities as those who embrace NZ?

Also do you think there is a reason why those in the union system identify as NZers and are determined to play for the All Blacks? Eg Ngani Laumape Is of Tongan descent but is a proud NZ rep.

I think the whole situation has raised a lot of difficult to answer questions with plenty of grey areas

Top Bottom