NRL Dally M 2023

The narrative for most of the season was Ponga being concussed and not good enough for origin. Hynes having no confidence and poor form. All down to SJ and Payne, two horse race for the dally m.

The awards have aways been shit. Last nights was pretty terrible. Bunch of boring nonsense. I just feel bad for SJ, he doesnt often make it to the end of a season without an injury.

Johnson would have been disadvantaged in the voting for some of the games as we had a lot of players playing well this year.

If you think about some of the games if you rated 3 players it would surprise to rate the following:

3 - CNK did a lot of work, save some tries with good defense, some key takes under the high ball
2 - AFB 200+ metres and a try
1 - Walker came on and changed the momentum. 2 try assists.

It wouldn't mean Johnson was terrible. He could have been there quietly directing the team around the field, kicking them into position. maybe a try assist. Then next week that could have been rated higher by the judges.

While rounds 1-26 are going on you would rather have a team with everyone performing at their best or close to it. Or more high-quality players. Then we come to voting at the end of the year for the best player and it suits a good player that might not be surrounded by other big names.

I think CCes had a good point with the old Rugby League Week rating out of 10. That was every player being rated. I can understand them not doing that as it was easier when it was already part of the magazine every week. They would probably need to add a rating somewhere on the NRL site, the judges would probably want more money. Or need to pay more attention.

It is an interesting point that Tallis makes. The fact that we had quite a few players in the run for positional Dally M positions meant that they picked up points at the expense of SJ

When you frame it like that, the Club's success in the positional nominations was good, but worked against SJ

Reactions: j_p
Was there an interchange player of the year? Like Jazz won in 2018, or is that gone?

Jazz and Cheese were the only guys to win it, then they changed it to 2 wings, 2 props etc. and canned it.

Disappointing really, the 14 is more important than ever now, plus Walker would be a shoe-in lol (though I am sure they would find a way to give it to Crossland with his 4 games off the bench)

super childish, but good on him i reckon.

warriors got so much momentum this year, sell out after sell out, catch cry that took the whole fox commentary and NRL socials, plus all of social media really by storm. absolute darlings of the NRL.

everyone’s second team.

no way the NRL are letting them have half the team of the year, coach of the year, and player of the year. no chance.

SJ was robbed.
fox even posted an article last week explaining how it could hypothetically happen. no way the NRL are going to let the warriors gain even more momentum.

they’ll have the toughest draw you can imagine next year, reffing will go back to abysmal and they’ll be hoping the whole up the wahs phenomena dies off and our boys go back and be quiet down the bottom of the ladder again where they belong.

im glad people like jazz and buddy from vodafone are calling it out.

Last edited:
I love Jazz, love his desire and conviction to stand up for his teammates.
Yes, probably not the best things to come out and say publicly but we're definitely all thinking the same, it's his opinion just the same as it was the judge's opinion to not award SJ points in that round.
Sometimes taking the moral high road is just as full of potholes as the one that lays below it.

I love Jazz, love his desire and conviction to stand up for his teammates.
Yes, probably not the best things to come out and say publicly but we're definitely all thinking the same, it's his opinion just the same as it was the judge's opinion to not award SJ points in that round.
Sometimes taking the moral high road is just as full of potholes as the one that lays below it.
He just needs to remove that frustration he has off the field from on the field, he's passionate asf, thats where all the penalties and silly shit comes from, by all means tho happy for him to be outspoken, no ones going to listen to us fans haha

What do people mean when they say SJ was robbed & act like it's some kind of conspiracy?
He led the comp going into Rd 26 & the judges gave him 3 points. Ponga had a blinder & grabbed 6 to take a 1 point lead. That's how the system works. Ponga might have gone off after 60 minutes but was outstanding & the result was beyond a doubt. Those same judges weren't to know SJ was to be rested the following week.
RTS, Gary Freeman & Jason Taumalolo are all Kiwis who have won it prior. RTS even got some favourable judging in the last round of 2018 when in the same match Agnatius Paasi put in a career best performance. The judges just give their opinions, & they may differ from yours, but there's nothing to suggest any collusion.

If you think there was something nefarious going on then you must think SJ was zero chance of getting points if he played against the Dolphins, regardless of how he would have went. If that's the case then can I interest you in a discounted beach side timeshare property in Gore? Never to be seen again prices.....

Last edited:
Well I think the dally Ms have lost all credibility now- can see the rlpa awards becoming more prestigious- their players champion is announced today and Sj is a finalist so hopefully he can jag that one.
Addin is also a finalist btw.

Back