For initial comments on this signing please read the following thread...

https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/...tohu-harris-signs-on-from-2018-onwards.53807/

Tohu Harris signs monster deal with Warriors: Five burning questions
3 hours ago
by JOHN DEAN AND SIMON BRUNSDON
Source: FOX SPORTS
06ac712ce3fdc8e94dc75dacbfa07540

STEPHEN Kearney’s first act as Warriors coach is big — he’s snared Kiwi backrower Tohu Harris on a massive four-year deal.

The New Zealand representative will move across the ditch and play with the Warriors from 2018 after seeing out his contract at Melbourne Storm this year.

So what does this mean for the Warriors? And the Storm?

We’ve answered five burning questions.

WHY THE WARRIORS?

There’s a couple of important reasons Harris opted to join the Warriors over staying in Melbourne, and no doubt he had offers from elsewhere too.

The biggest drawcards are the location and the coach. Harris said his signing with the Warriors was him going “home” — he was born in Hastings, New Zealand and lived on the island before moving to Melbourne late in his teens to train with the Storm.

Playing under Stephen Kearney, too, was tempting for the big forward.

Kearney previously coached under Craig Bellamy at the Storm and has led the Kiwis while Harris has been involved in the national team.

“I have great respect for Mooks through my time with him in the Kiwis and I look forward to working with him again,” Harris said.

The potential for the Warriors over the next few years is also exciting to any prospective player.

With the club drawing Issac Luke, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, and Kieran Foran there over the past two years it feels like the Warriors will be a genuine NRL contender in the seasons to come.

WHAT HAS MELBOURNE LOST?

Craig Bellamy made the retention of Harris one of his priorities this year but ultimately lost out to his former deputy Kearney.

With Kevin Proctor moving to the Gold Coast over the off-season, Bellamy has lost his 2016 starting backrow when the club made the grand final.

529142b314716be5760813dd28be8558

The club has already lost Kevin Proctor. Picture: Richard GoslingSource: News Corp Australia

Harris is without doubt one of the best in his trade. His left-edge combination with five-eighth Blake Green last year reaped eight tries for the big forward.

When he’s not running holes he can create them himself with surprising ball-playing ability. He wore the No.6 for New Zealand once during the Four Nations in November, and did so during the 2014 Anzac Test as well.

The Storm also lose reliability and consistency that comes hand-in-hand with Harris. He’s barely missed a game for the club over the past four years.

At just 25 years of age and with 103 NRL games already under his belt, Harris could have even been Melbourne’s next 300-game player. A future captain, maybe?

WHICH WARRIORS ARE IN THE FIRING LINE?

With Harris arriving on big coin, you can expect there will be a few nervous off-contract players at the club.

Ryan Hoffman’s deal is up at the end of the season and, despite his 33-year-old legs, wants to play on into 2018. If he moves elsewhere, his sizeable wage could conceivably go to Harris.

8a8c59c93b08377e6fca64a946ee5a80

Ryan Hoffman is off-contract.Source: Getty Images

Fellow backrower Bodene Thompson needs to put in a big season given he’s also without a contract beyond this campaign.

The futures of big boppers Charlie Gubb and Ben Matulino remain in the air, with both off-contract and having been linked to exits from the club in recent times.

Their front row partner Jacob Lillyman is also without a contract for 2018 and isn’t getting any younger.

The Warriors also have Shaun Johnson coming off contract, but the two parties are currently in talks and are confident that the star playmaker will remain at Mt Smart Stadium.

Then there’s Kieran Foran who only signed a deal for 2017 and it remains to be seen if the club will stick with him if his contract isn’t registered by the NRL.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN FOR THE STORM?

Well they’ve still got Harris for this season and he says he’s totally committed to finishing his time on a winning note.

In terms of recruitment and retention, the Storm can now turn their attention to re-signing highly rated forwards Jordan McLean and Nelson Asofa-Solomona.

567e0a8f8d8ea361c5dcb348141fe277

Jordan McLean is a top priority re-signing for the Storm.Source: Supplied

The departure of Proctor and now Harris will also open up opportunities for the younger players.

Joe Stimson, who was named the club’s 2016 feeder player of the year, is knocking on the door of first grade, while the likes of Dean Britt and Vincent Leuluai are also itching to get a run in NRL.

The club’s depth will be tested so they may need to pick up a player or two.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/4728c15419b5a52c65d286a8ab019d14

Last edited:
Reactions: Swanley

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 23, 2016
I definitely agree that the term 'fundamentals' can get misused or misinterpreted a lot but I think in every sport there are at least a few 'basics' that every successful team/player has mastered. Just simple stuff like fitness, communication and understanding your role are things that are integral to rugby league and things the Warriors have struggled with.

Fitness is an easy one, we've buggered out in the last 20min of more games than I can count over the last few seasons.

Communication is always important for defense and plays a big part in getting to the right places on the field for kicks/attacking set plays etc.

Knowing your role is just about making the right decisions as an individual... should Vete be throwing offloads when the team has no go-forward or should he run hard and try for a quick PTB? Should Johnson be kicking when the defense looks fatigued or should he have a go and run?

These are the principals that team sport is built around and things that we've lacked for a while now. We've had multiple players coming back from off-season overweight, we've got players who come from a very modest and quietly/spoken background and may not speak up a lot and we've got players who are still learning the sport in their 2nd season of FG. Do something about all that and we might start to get somewhere.
Yep, the higher level you go to it's hard to argue with simple stuff like fitness and communication being 'fundamental'.

But these things are so basic to most sport that they shouldn't be wrestled with at the professional level. If our level is still struggling with these things that most Aussies have nailed at schoolboy level, then that says a lot and means we are in for another rough season :(

ttkk19

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 21, 2013
You know we've had a few lean years in development and talent ID when the leading candidate for captaincy hasn't even pulled on the jersey yet.

Hopefully these young guys like Roache, Hingano, Afoa and Papalii can learn from their seniors and push this club forward when it's their time to take over rather than us needing to buy leaders again and again. Gosh knows the previous gen (Johnson, Locke, Matulino, Hurrell) weren't able to.

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland
Even if we didn't sign Price we still had a whole host of other leaders in the side who could have made a good fist of the captaincy.

Right now we've got didley.
You really think so? Hell! We have Simon Mannering for a start, then there's Blair the current Kiwis Capt and Harris is a shoe in future Capt. Oh and Shaun Johnson has always been well regarded. Sure Luke drop the ball with his form but we still have Roache an excellent prospect.

ttkk19

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 21, 2013
You really think so? Hell! We have Simon Mannering for a start, then there's Blair the current Kiwis Capt and Harris is a shoe in future Capt. Oh and Shaun Johnson has always been well regarded. Sure Luke drop the ball with his form but we still have Roache an excellent prospect.

Yeah Mannering's great but we won't have him around for much longer. I can't say I'm too convinced on Blair, especially with his attitude back when the kiwis campaign imploded. Tohu Harris is defs captain material but he's only just got here and wouldn't know the club/players very well.

Shaun Johnson I can honestly say shouldn't be the captain of this side. The guy just doesn't lead, what does it say about a halfback who's never willing to get hit or have a go? IMO Johnson puts himself above the team, definitely not a captain's mentality.

Can I ask who regards Johnson as Captaincy material? I think his inability to secure the captaincy last season was a dead give-away the team didn't rate him. Also we don't ever really hear his teammates talk up his selflessness on the field, I doubt many of them would expect him to take a hit for them like Mannering or Roger Tuivasa-Sheck would.

Luke fell out of favor when he came back overweight last season, I haven't been a fan since.

I really like Bunty, Roache, Ata and Papalii but they're still 5 or so years off of being leaders in this team. Their only jobs right now should be staying focused and doing their best when they get their chances.

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
Captain has to be a shoe in for his position and be on the park most of the game, that doesn' leave many.
Mannering is both of those but he had his shot and while he seemed to have the troops support they didn' exactly fight with him in the trenches so have to say he was a failure at captain,.
I like it if 9, 6 or 7 can captain as they should be running the show and are always in the thick of the action, but we are shit out of luck there I reckon. Luke has been out of form for 2 years, Shaun Johnson similar and also not sure he is captain material, Green is new but probably better option than the other two given his experience, work ethic and seems like he has smarts but I am just calling that on preseason talk and what I read.... so Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is really our only option unless someone else steps up this year or you think Blair is the man for the job ( can't see that working myself).

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Wow Tohu Harris's already getting talked up as captaincy material.....I guess if he puts in performances this season he's a chance.

Tbh up until last years finals series (in which he was very strong for Melbourne) cant say that ive ever really rated him as anything special. His performances for the Kiwi's have been largely underwhelming (perhaps more to do with the numnutz who keep playing him at standoff).

I think he's first grade quality and a good ready made replacement for Hoffman, just not sure given (imo) the Warriors biggest deficiencies (defence excepted) have been all about taking the ball into contact, inability to get over the vantage line, gain fast ptb's, lack of line breaks, inability to offload in the line.....all which make a million dollar spine redundant.....and now Tohu Harris who's biggest strength's is his ability to play before the line just doesn't seem to fill what we lack.

However I do get the vibe he's a total pro (then again so was Hoffman for what it was worth), he'll work his arse off, and his difference between a good and poor game isn't as extreme as most bought up in our systems, so I think he'll definitely add value.

3rdstriker

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 11, 2014
Yeah Mannering's great but we won't have him around for much longer. I can't say I'm

Shaun Johnson I can honestly say shouldn't be the captain of this side. The guy just doesn't lead, what does it say about a halfback who's never willing to get hit or have a go? IMO Johnson puts himself above the team, definitely not a captain's mentality.

I reckon S.J needs to step up to the captaincy and grab it by the balls. I honestly feel that if he did it could lift his game to That next level we've been waiting for, for the last 7 years.
Its the only option left for him

Reactions: Defence

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Tohu Harris is a bit too introverted to be captain , amazing footballer but not some one I would want trying to give a pep talk
Yep.
We've already tried an introverted " he doesn't say much....but when he speaks we all listen Bull shit.

Mannering on field was one of the least respected leaders I've seen.

The bloke is a true inspiration.....how many times did his team mates stand up in his testimonial games ?

So yeah nah the do as I do thing is bollocks here. Wrong type of people.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has the liked by mates persona.

He's no Churchill.

The two best Captains they've had...to this day....are Price and Campion.

Why is that ?

Most of all it is because those blokes were proven leaders of men before they came here.

They were heroes made elsewhere.

No one could give them lip when they got screamed at.

No one was meant to be allowed to sook over those captains.. ....The rot began when the players sooked about Price.

Chain of command mofos.....the General gets a bigger house than the recruits.

The General flys separate.

All men should aspire to be the General...not cry about his privilege.....dam mutinous clowns.

Last edited:

ttkk19

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 21, 2013
Yep.
We've already tried an introverted " he doesn't say much....but when he speaks we all listen Bull shit.

Mannering on field was one of the least respected leaders I've seen.

The bloke is a true inspiration.....how many times did his team mates stand up in his testimonial games ?

So yeah nah the do as I do thing is bollocks here. Wrong type of people.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has the liked by mates persona.

He's no Churchill.

The two best Captains they've had...to this day....are Price and Campion.

Why is that ?

Most of all it is because those blokes were proven leaders of men before they came here.

They were heroes made elsewhere.

No one could give them lip when they got screamed at.

No one was meant to be allowed to sook over those captains.. ....The rot began when the players sooked about Price.

Chain of command mofos.....the general gets a bigger house than the recruits.

The General flys separate.

All men should aspire to be the General...not cry about his privilege.....dam mutinous clowns.

I think that says a lot more about the crop of player's we've used than the captain himself. Cameron Smith isn't the type of captain to scream his head off at players and go on a rampage, neither was Richie McCaw.

If some of our players need to be screamed at to be able to do their jobs than I really don't think they should be here. If they can't get motivated for a guy who covers their asses all day and takes a beating for them, they're in the wrong sport.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Tbh up until last years finals series (in which he was very strong for Melbourne) cant say that ive ever really rated him as anything special. His performances for the Kiwi's have been largely underwhelming (perhaps more to do with the numnutz who keep playing him at standoff).

Can't remember if it was last year or the one before when we played the aussies- we lost but I thought harris and proctor were our two best players- the amount of clean up work they got through was unreal- I lost count of how many times they saved our ass.
Then I got on here and people were bagging the hell out of them- I couldn't understand it.
I think they're the type of players who's work often goes unnoticed- similar to mannering- the types that u sometimes don't miss till they're gone.
That was evident in last years World Cup disaster.

WarriorBall

Tohu Harris is a bit too introverted to be captain , amazing footballer but not some one I would want trying to give a pep talk

Part of the reason he came to the club was because he saw an opportunity to develop those leadership skills and become a leader himself. I understand your reservations but when he speaks he speaks well, surprisingly well actually.

No doubt he has the respect of the entire squad.

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
I think that says a lot more about the crop of player's we've used than the captain himself. Cameron Smith isn't the type of captain to scream his head off at players and go on a rampage, neither was Richie McCaw.

If some of our players need to be screamed at to be able to do their jobs than I really don't think they should be here. If they can't get motivated for a guy who covers their asses all day and takes a beating for them, they're in the wrong sport.
You are right but for some reason Smith and McCaw demand better and get it, Mannering either didnt demand it or demanded it and never got it. It comes down to either club culture, individual mana or both.

ttkk19

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 21, 2013
You are right but for some reason Smith and McCaw demand better and get it, Mannering either didnt demand it or demanded it and never got it. It comes down to either club culture, individual mana or both.

never got it

too many rookies and slackers in this team for far too long

Reactions: Sup42 and bruce
Wests Tigers Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane Rate Match

Last Game

30 Jul

5.8 Total Avg Rating
5.9 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 16 ratings