For initial comments on this signing please read the following thread...

https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/...tohu-harris-signs-on-from-2018-onwards.53807/

Tohu Harris signs monster deal with Warriors: Five burning questions
3 hours ago
by JOHN DEAN AND SIMON BRUNSDON
Source: FOX SPORTS
06ac712ce3fdc8e94dc75dacbfa07540

STEPHEN Kearney’s first act as Warriors coach is big — he’s snared Kiwi backrower Tohu Harris on a massive four-year deal.

The New Zealand representative will move across the ditch and play with the Warriors from 2018 after seeing out his contract at Melbourne Storm this year.

So what does this mean for the Warriors? And the Storm?

We’ve answered five burning questions.

WHY THE WARRIORS?

There’s a couple of important reasons Harris opted to join the Warriors over staying in Melbourne, and no doubt he had offers from elsewhere too.

The biggest drawcards are the location and the coach. Harris said his signing with the Warriors was him going “home” — he was born in Hastings, New Zealand and lived on the island before moving to Melbourne late in his teens to train with the Storm.

Playing under Stephen Kearney, too, was tempting for the big forward.

Kearney previously coached under Craig Bellamy at the Storm and has led the Kiwis while Harris has been involved in the national team.

“I have great respect for Mooks through my time with him in the Kiwis and I look forward to working with him again,” Harris said.

The potential for the Warriors over the next few years is also exciting to any prospective player.

With the club drawing Issac Luke, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, and Kieran Foran there over the past two years it feels like the Warriors will be a genuine NRL contender in the seasons to come.

WHAT HAS MELBOURNE LOST?

Craig Bellamy made the retention of Harris one of his priorities this year but ultimately lost out to his former deputy Kearney.

With Kevin Proctor moving to the Gold Coast over the off-season, Bellamy has lost his 2016 starting backrow when the club made the grand final.

529142b314716be5760813dd28be8558

The club has already lost Kevin Proctor. Picture: Richard GoslingSource: News Corp Australia

Harris is without doubt one of the best in his trade. His left-edge combination with five-eighth Blake Green last year reaped eight tries for the big forward.

When he’s not running holes he can create them himself with surprising ball-playing ability. He wore the No.6 for New Zealand once during the Four Nations in November, and did so during the 2014 Anzac Test as well.

The Storm also lose reliability and consistency that comes hand-in-hand with Harris. He’s barely missed a game for the club over the past four years.

At just 25 years of age and with 103 NRL games already under his belt, Harris could have even been Melbourne’s next 300-game player. A future captain, maybe?

WHICH WARRIORS ARE IN THE FIRING LINE?

With Harris arriving on big coin, you can expect there will be a few nervous off-contract players at the club.

Ryan Hoffman’s deal is up at the end of the season and, despite his 33-year-old legs, wants to play on into 2018. If he moves elsewhere, his sizeable wage could conceivably go to Harris.

8a8c59c93b08377e6fca64a946ee5a80

Ryan Hoffman is off-contract.Source: Getty Images

Fellow backrower Bodene Thompson needs to put in a big season given he’s also without a contract beyond this campaign.

The futures of big boppers Charlie Gubb and Ben Matulino remain in the air, with both off-contract and having been linked to exits from the club in recent times.

Their front row partner Jacob Lillyman is also without a contract for 2018 and isn’t getting any younger.

The Warriors also have Shaun Johnson coming off contract, but the two parties are currently in talks and are confident that the star playmaker will remain at Mt Smart Stadium.

Then there’s Kieran Foran who only signed a deal for 2017 and it remains to be seen if the club will stick with him if his contract isn’t registered by the NRL.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN FOR THE STORM?

Well they’ve still got Harris for this season and he says he’s totally committed to finishing his time on a winning note.

In terms of recruitment and retention, the Storm can now turn their attention to re-signing highly rated forwards Jordan McLean and Nelson Asofa-Solomona.

567e0a8f8d8ea361c5dcb348141fe277

Jordan McLean is a top priority re-signing for the Storm.Source: Supplied

The departure of Proctor and now Harris will also open up opportunities for the younger players.

Joe Stimson, who was named the club’s 2016 feeder player of the year, is knocking on the door of first grade, while the likes of Dean Britt and Vincent Leuluai are also itching to get a run in NRL.

The club’s depth will be tested so they may need to pick up a player or two.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/4728c15419b5a52c65d286a8ab019d14

Last edited:

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland
Looking at KR body shape and muscle definition compared to almost all the Warriors, there looks quite a contrast. One might be fooled into thinking the big cut guys would out perform, out work ,out muscle him.
It's more than coincidence Read and Mannering share same body type and have captained their country, there's another more obvious similarity too that will go unsaid..

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
It's more than coincidence Read and Mannering share same body type and have captained their country, there's another more obvious similarity too that will go unsaid..

THEY ARE WHITE FULLAS.

Just in case you were feeling bashful about saying it. Anyway Read just had back surgery and is in his offseason, he'll be looking more bigger come April.

Read would make a hell of a backrower, good size, great hands, big motor.

Back on topic, I really hope Tohu Harris has an injury free year, expecting big things from him individually, have to go back to 2011 Micheal Luck for a true 80 minute rep quality backrower to go alongside Mannering.

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 23, 2016
Love these series of pics. If this doesn't tell you why we signed this guy nothing ever will...
Just playing devils advocate here. But this pic has me a little worried. Looks like someone's Dad showed up to training and it almost killed him. Zero muscle tone? Hoping Tohu hasn't become the youngest ever Kiwi to come to the Warriors to retire. Hope he isn't taking notes from Issac Luke like he is with Kieran Reid above.

But surely this is just a shot of a bloke giving it his all. The photos at the Kieran Read session would back this up. And I have heard Tohu isn't a Gym junky, but just an out and out footballer. Fingers crossed :)

TohuHarris.png

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
Just playing devils advocate here. But this pic has me a little worried. Looks like someone's Dad showed up to training and it almost killed him. Zero muscle tone? Hoping Tohu hasn't become the youngest ever Kiwi to come to the Warriors to retire. Hope he isn't taking notes from Issac Luke like he is with Kieran Reid above.

But surely this is just a shot of a bloke giving it his all. The photos at the Kieran Read session would back this up. And I have heard Tohu isn't a Gym junky, but just an out and out footballer. Fingers crossed :)

View attachment 24239

He's been injured, hasn't he?

Reactions: Sup42

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Yep, and that's probably why we have been so terrible in recent times. There ain't many Warriors with much between the ears these days (coach included x1000). Let's hope Tohu turns that around.

Harris is one player, he can have an effect but can't change too much. As for Kearney he has actually done more than any Coach since Cleary IMO.

I like SK in that he wants his team to do the fundamentals first. You have to earn the right to be flashy. For instance counter attack is another term for backing up the ball carrier.

However, unless Tohu and the other forwards get front foot ball it will mean squat.

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 23, 2016
Harris is one player, he can have an effect but can't change too much. As for Kearney he has actually done more than any Coach since Cleary IMO.

I like SK in that he wants his team to do the fundamentals first. You have to earn the right to be flashy. For instance counter attack is another term for backing up the ball carrier.

However, unless Tohu and the other forwards get front foot ball it will mean squat.
Unfortunately, SK isn't getting them to win. Which is really the number one purpose of a coach. I'd rather have crap fundamentals and win (like some Warriors sides in the past) than solid fundamentals and lose (like last years Warriors).

ttkk19

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 21, 2013
Unfortunately, SK isn't getting them to win. Which is really the number one purpose of a coach. I'd rather have crap fundamentals and win (like some Warriors sides in the past) than solid fundamentals and lose (like last years Warriors).

because those sides were soooo much more successful...

I'd prefer a side with the fundamentals, might suck for a season or so but eventually things 'should' start to tick and yield results. Will need to wait until the end of this season to see if it happens for us.

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
I just watched the pre season interview from about a week ago.

I am really impressed with him, seems like a well grounded, intelligent guy.

He handled the media really well. Complete opposite to Adam Blair who just seems like he is constantly on the defensive and speaking in cliches.

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
I just watched the pre season interview from about a week ago.

I am really impressed with him, seems like a well grounded, intelligent guy.

He handled the media really well. Complete opposite to Adam Blair who just seems like he is constantly on the defensive and speaking in cliches.

Good post, Harris is an independent thinker who doesn't follow the herd, reminds me quite a lot of Kearney at his age only more articulate with a camera in his face. Only problem with that is you can end up a bit of a loner if you're surrounded by idiots. Future captain if Roger bails.

Last edited:

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 23, 2016
because those sides were soooo much more successful...

I'd prefer a side with the fundamentals, might suck for a season or so but eventually things 'should' start to tick and yield results. Will need to wait until the end of this season to see if it happens for us.
Well we have certainly ticked the suck for a season box!

I think the problem with fundamentals is that they don't really exist. At best they are some vague description of what is most likely to work for the average team.

We certainly are not the average team. What we and every team really need is a strategy which is tailored to the players we have. Depending on your roster this may deviate quite some distance from so called 'fundamentals'.

Many professional coaches realise this I think. But some don't and just blindly follow some formula that worked for some other team. e.g. blindly following what the Storm does. Sound like SK much?

ttkk19

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 21, 2013
Well we have certainly ticked the suck for a season box!

I think the problem with fundamentals is that they don't really exist. At best they are some vague description of what is most likely to work for the average team.

We certainly are not the average team. What we and every team really need is a strategy which is tailored to the players we have. Depending on your roster this may deviate quite some distance from so called 'fundamentals'.

Many professional coaches realise this I think. But some don't and just blindly follow some formula that worked for some other team. e.g. blindly following what the Storm does. Sound like SK much?

I definitely agree that the term 'fundamentals' can get misused or misinterpreted a lot but I think in every sport there are at least a few 'basics' that every successful team/player has mastered. Just simple stuff like fitness, communication and understanding your role are things that are integral to rugby league and things the Warriors have struggled with.

Fitness is an easy one, we've buggered out in the last 20min of more games than I can count over the last few seasons.

Communication is always important for defense and plays a big part in getting to the right places on the field for kicks/attacking set plays etc.

Knowing your role is just about making the right decisions as an individual... should Vete be throwing offloads when the team has no go-forward or should he run hard and try for a quick PTB? Should Johnson be kicking when the defense looks fatigued or should he have a go and run?

These are the principals that team sport is built around and things that we've lacked for a while now. We've had multiple players coming back from off-season overweight, we've got players who come from a very modest and quietly/spoken background and may not speak up a lot and we've got players who are still learning the sport in their 2nd season of FG. Do something about all that and we might start to get somewhere.

Upcoming Match

Gold Coast Titans Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings