mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Everybody in the NRL knows about it...they will be targeting it. I worry to be honest.

Let's not be holier-than-thou, here. If the Warriors ever played an opposition team where they knew so-and-so's coming back from an ACL but didn't say "Right, he's sore, so let's run the ball at him, okay?", I'd seriously question the brains trust. Or brain-stem trust, given it's the Warriors, it could be that....

It's one thing to run the game at a recently returned injured player to make him test his ACL/Shoulder/Whatever. It's another thing to, when that player is tackled, do something intentionally to the recently-repaired body part to screw that player up.

As for Mr Harris, I've read rumours that Tohu Harris's one concussion away from retirement...

YeahNah 4020

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 6, 2017
Respect to Tohu Harris for picking up the C at a potentially exciting time for the Warriors

More a spiritual leader and team man than a general on the field, but may receive some respect from the refs

For me Egan should be VC as Tohu Harris to be rested and injured throughout the season

Then we need smart rotation to always have leaders on the field to make decisions and communicate with refs

But still congrats, fitting to be the C when we return home

Billyspleen75

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
Silverdale
Respect to Tohu Harris for picking up the C at a potentially exciting time for the Warriors

More a spiritual leader and team man than a general on the field, but may receive some respect from the refs

For me Egan should be VC as Tohu Harris to be rested and injured throughout the season

Then we need smart rotation to always have leaders on the field to make decisions and communicate with refs

But still congrats, fitting to be the C when we return home
Agree re Egan. I think he's a lot closer to the top of the pile than most Warriors fans realize

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
I think Tohu Harris will be a good Captain. The question is will he be a successful Captain. Simon Mannering was a good 'follow me' leader. The trouble is often times the team did not follow.

Tohu Harris has a team that has across the park players who take responsibility and care about performance and results, not just those who are touted as possible Captains. Walsh, despite his youth, is one, as are DWZ and Montoya, players who provide a lead for the likes of Berry, Pompey, Vailea and Ratuva.

Then you have Aitken, Egan, Addin Fonua-Blake and Lodge. A Captain needs to take his team forward, to do that he needs able lieutenants, Tohu Harris has that now.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
I think he's a good choice. He's consistent and should lead by example. Hopefully with better cattle around him compared to the Mannering years the "follow me" approach works. We also have more experience coming into the squad which was light on it a few years ago.

The team talks and discussion points with the refs is the part we will have to wait and see how he goes.

For a vice captain and to lead the side before he comes back from injury I would probably lean towards Johnson. He's more experienced now and would be the best handle the media responsibilities. I know Johnson is a risk of being injured but you would deal with finding a replacement when needed seeing as its only short term.

Reactions: Worried2Death

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Tohu Harris was the obvious choice. I am glad they offered it to him, and even more relieved he accepted it.

Tohu Harris is the kind of guy who speaks his own mind, I am a little surprised he said yes.

Kearney described as someone who does things slowly...he said it partly humorously and partly serious. I got the image of a sloth at training.

I think what Kearney was saying, is that Tohu Harris is a smarter not harder guy.

You certainly cannot bag him for not doing what is needed to be a hard working supremely fit Athlete.

I like that he is quietly spoken, very articulate, and measured in what he says.

Less of a robot than you usually get.

I hope he gets the type of tenure that many Warriors captains have deserved and very few have been rewarded with.

Billyspleen75

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
Silverdale

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/nr...ey-of-tohu-harris/BQKZOXQBPMUO7CO7J5754V5HKY/

NRL: From Hastings hopeful to Warriors captain - The remarkable rugby league journey of Tohu Harris

When he was 15 years old, Tohu Harris jumped on a bus bound for Wellington, making a journey that would change his life.
Growing up in the Hawke's Bay, there weren't too many league options for the teenager, who played for Hastings Boys' High School first XV and club rugby for Tamatea.
He dabbled with the 13-man code in some end of season matches, which was where he was noticed by ex-Kiwi David Lomax, leading to some games for the Central Falcons Bartercard Cup youth team.
But thoughts of a professional career were far from his mind, until a phone call from Lomax in November 2008, informing him the Melbourne Storm were holding an open trial for scholarship prospects in Wellington.
Harris took the next available bus to the capital, crashing in a spare room at Lomax's house, before heading along to the try out.
"There were about 120 kids and a whole lot of talented guys from all over the Wellington region," recalled Harris. "I didn't know what to expect."
There was a training session on the Saturday, followed by games on the Sunday, with two Storm scholarships up for grabs.
"I was lucky," said Harris. "I was lucky to find out about the camp and then to be chosen. It's one of those things but who knows how things could have turned out otherwise."

He moved to Melbourne as a 17-year-old and starred for the Storm's under-20 side across three seasons, before his NRL debut in March 2013, followed by a Kiwis cap just two months later.
Harris' journey came full circle on Wednesday, named the new skipper of the Warriors, becoming the 12th club captain in the 27-year history of the franchise.
He follows Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, who led the club in 104 games after replacing Ryan Hoffman in the role at the start of the 2017 season.
Hoffman was in charge for one year (2016), with Simon Mannering (136 games as captain, 2010-2015) and Steve Price (91, 2005-2009), the others to hold the mantle since 2005.
The 182 NRL game veteran was the logical contender, among a squad not exactly over endowed with experience, but wasn't taking anything for granted when he spoke to the Herald at the end of this season.
"It's not up to me," said Harris. "Obviously if I was asked to do the role it would be extremely humbling, especially the people who have held the position before.

"It would be an exciting thing and I would love to take the challenge on but obviously it is a decision that is up to the coach and CEO. Whatever decision they make I have to support it and make sure that how I perform is first and foremost."
Harris is an ideal choice.
He has been a strong presence since his arrival at the club in 2018 and played a huge role in the last two seasons based in Australia.

Not only did he set the example with tireless 80-minute efforts, the 29-year-old also had a massive input behind the scenes, working with the coaching staff before and after sessions in the search for ways to improve the team.
"While we have some strong leaders in our squad, Tohu Harris brings so much to our team and to our club as the man to lead us," said coach Nathan Brown
"Everyone can see the standards he sets for himself and consistently achieves on the field but equally impressive is the way he handles himself away from the game."
Harris isn't expected back in action until next May, as he continues his rehabilitation from surgery following an ACL rupture suffered in July against Penrith.
But he is heavily involved in training and preparations for the new season and isn't hiding from the Warriors' critical area of improvement needed ahead of 2022.
"The obvious part is how fast the game has gone," said Harris. "We need to make sure we adapt to that and can handle that speed for the full 80 minutes. You look at teams like Penrith, Souths and Melbourne and they play at a high intensity for the whole game.
"That is something we need to be better at. [In 2021] we had a lot of games that we lost by small margins so being able to play at a high intensity for longer will make a huge difference in those sort of games.
"We need to make sure we come back better in every way - physically and mentally, to make sure we are not in the same position [we were last season]."

• Love
Reactions: bruce and Murraytd

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
He will be out for the first few rounds, so the candidates for 13 are Jazz and Sironen. However, I think Curren could really be a dynamic 13. That could put Tohu Harris into the Prop rotation you could have Addin Fonua-Blake and Tohu Harris starting with Lodge and Pene off the Bench, or any other combination
Whilst he's got the motor his left to right pass isn't there, yet. I recall at one stage last season when Jazz passed from dummy half to Sean O'Sullivan who passed to Curran who then shovelled it onto someone else & thinking whoever was skills coach needs to rethink their strategy because no one could put nut on chest

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Whilst he's got the motor his left to right pass isn't there, yet. I recall at one stage last season when Jazz passed from dummy half to Sean O'Sullivan who passed to Curran who then shovelled it onto someone else & thinking whoever was skills coach needs to rethink their strategy because no one could put nut on chest
I thought his right to left passing was actually pretty good. Threw an absolute dime this season against the Storm maybe? But then switched sides

Reactions: Worried2Death

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
He will be out for the first few rounds, so the candidates for 13 are Jazz and Sironen. However, I think Curren could really be a dynamic 13. That could put Tohu Harris into the Prop rotation you could have Addin Fonua-Blake and Tohu Harris starting with Lodge and Pene off the Bench, or any other combination with Bunty in the mix as well.
I want to try Euan Aitken in at lock. We have so much second row depth with Curran, Katoa, Nuikore in 2023 and even Tohu Harris if we’re thinking about prolonging his career.

Aitken has one of the best motors, can handle the defence in the middle given how insanely strong he is and would rack up meters there. Fits the mould of smaller locks like Radley, Murray, Cotter etc. The only thing is whether his ball playing is good enough to be there. Ball playing is an absolute must to wear the number 13 jersey these days and be good at it. Which is why I’m not that keen on Jazz starting in that jersey, he gives effort but he’s an undersized prop with no ball playing.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings