Staff Todd Payten

Todd Payten

Todd Payton.jpg

Premiership-winner strengthens Warriors

The Warriors are continuing to strengthen their ranks by signing Cowboys assistant coach Todd Payten.

A premiership winner as a player at the Tigers in 2005 and an assistant at both the Tigers and Cowboys in recent years, Payten will be a handy addition to Stephen Kearney’s staff.

Rated as a first-grade coach in waiting by plenty of good judges, Payten has agreed to terms - expect an announcement from the Kiwi club in coming days.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/08/07...nrith-panthers-coach-anthony-griffin-the-mole

Last edited by a moderator:

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012

The Warriors are continuing to strengthen their ranks by signing Cowboys assistant coach Todd Payten.

A premiership winner as a player at the Tigers in 2005 and an assistant at both the Tigers and Cowboys in recent years, Payten will be a handy addition to Stephen Kearney’s staff.

Rated as a first-grade coach in waiting by plenty of good judges, Payten has agreed to terms - expect an announcement from the Kiwi club in coming days.
This is what I kept banging on about with the departure of McFadden...we need another young star with an over the ditch CV,

Bloody Awesome.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013

Rated as a first-grade coach in waiting by plenty of good judges, Payten has agreed to terms - expect an announcement from the Kiwi club in coming
Nice instead of naming players to fill holes I was going to point out the gap in the coaching staff with McFadden leaving at the need to find another assistant.

Hopefully he sticks around a while as we have had some churn in our assistants the last few years. The more stability around the club the better.

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
Payten signed as new assistant coach from 2019

Wed 8 Aug 2018, 01:01 PM
Highly-regarded Todd Payten has been signed by the Vodafone Warriors as an NRL assistant coach from next season.

The 39-year-old current North Queensland assistant coach will move to Mount Smart Stadium on a three-year contract replacing Andrew McFadden, who is returning home to Canberra at the end of the season after six years with the Vodafone Warriors.

“Todd’s a young coach who has made a great impression and we’re really excited about having him on board from next season,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney.

“While replacing Cappy wasn’t going to be easy after the wonderful contribution he has made to our club, we’ve been extremely fortunate to secure Todd.

“After a long playing career, he moved straight into coaching and has quickly established himself at NRL level.”

Vodafone Warriors general manager football Brian Smith was also thrilled with Payten’s signing.

“Todd has served a great apprenticeship as a player and coach at very good clubs and has experienced grand final success as both a player and a coach,” he said.

“He’ll provide great support to Stephen alongside Stacey (Jones) and Tony (Iro).”

Following a total of 259 appearances with Canberra, Sydney Roosters and Wests Tigers, front rower Payten was forced into retirement by injury at the end of the 2011 season.

He finished with a grand final winner’s medal when the Tigers beat North Queensland 30-16 in the 2005 grand final.

Payten moved straight into coaching, taking charge of the Tigers’ NYC team in 2012 and guiding the club to title success in the 2013 grand final. He also coached the New South Wales under-18s to victory over Queensland that season and again in 2014, when he had progressed to become an NRL assistant coach at Wests Tigers.

In 2015 he joined the Cowboys as their NYC head coach and was also Paul Green’s NRL assistant coach, savouring North Queensland’s maiden grand final win over Brisbane.

TODD PAYTEN

Born: January 18, 1979
Birthplace: Sydney, NSW
Coaching Career:
North Queensland NRL assistant coach 2015-2018
North Queensland NYC head coach 2015
Wests Tigers NRL assistant coach 2014
Wests Tigers NYC head coach 2012-2013
New South Wales Under-18 coach 2013-2014
NRL Playing Career: 259 first-grade games 1996-2011
Canberra: 90 games 1996-2002
Sydney Roosters: 18 games 2003
Wests Tigers: 151 games 2004-2011

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
Mean while the Warriors will make an announcement Friday....

LOL.

They announced it just now.

Heard good things about him, he coached Brandon Smith in the 20s at the Cowboys who had good things to say.

Heard he may have been involved with Kidwell in the Jason Taylor coup too though.

Stoked that we have a young Aussie coach in our staff who has been involved in sustained success.

Would be interested to see what kind of analysis and ideas he brings in for us in the pre-season. Can only be a positive also that his current team won't be involved in finals so he'll be able to start preparation nice and early.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
They announced it just now.

Heard good things about him, he coached Brandon Smith in the 20s at the Cowboys who had good things to say.

Heard he may have been involved with Kidwell in the Jason Taylor coup too though.

Stoked that we have a young Aussie coach in our staff who has been involved in sustained success.

Would be interested to see what kind of analysis and ideas he brings in for us in the pre-season. Can only be a positive also that his current team won't be involved in finals so he'll be able to start preparation nice and early.
I'm hoping he makes comment about the size of our Props while he is here....wouldn't do any harm. ..put it that way.

Reactions: bruce

Magic Johnson

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
I like the Payten signing. On Mcfadden he must have a job lined up at the raiders given its now been mentioned a few times he’s returning to Canberra. Wouldn’t think he’d leave a job here without something lined up

tajhay

👻
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
does cappy work on attack or d? if so is todd a straight swap in that department?
Cappy and Stacey do attack.

"I think Mooks [Kearney] puts his energy into the defence predominantly so I think myself, along with Stacey Jones will have our hands full in the attack department," Payten, who will depart the North Queensland Cowboys where he is assistant to Paul Green, told Radio Sport.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Can he bring McLean with him? Please.
My first thought was who will he attract from their set up ... Brian Smith's Son took Agnatius Paasi with him...( probably more likely to get a fringe guy like their version of Iggy or Tof).

Cappy brought over a couple of dudes.....didnt work for fg.. but I'm a big fan of breaking up our ISP make up with players like CNK....Cherrington....etc. ..guys with other systems experience...Lawtons another one...and probably a Brian Smith to thank for that.

Last edited:

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 1, 2016
There will definitely be players who he has close ties with and will be able to attract to the club if there is a need.

That's one of the reasons I reckon it's vitally important to have somebody in our coaching staff from Australia at all times.

Yeah it's a good move in that sense. I just hope he can unlock SJ RTS etc. How good would it be if Ivan and Nathan announced they were coming back here hahahahaha ha. Ha

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings