Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Have a look in your field.
Yes, but WHY when it’s illegal to pay different.

Can those stats show how they have accounted for woman prioritising families?

I’ve run a trade contracting business and a childcare centre with 2 very gender specific workforces.

The employees are completely different in their attitude to hours, holidays, commitment to the job vs commitment to the family, etc. It’s all along the stereotype roles and all employee led.

I don’t believe there is a real gap that’s not explained by the difference in attitude.

How can the legality be so black and white when the employer sets the rate? Can’t argue with statistics.
I can argue with the statistics because men and women have different attitudes, goals and priorities in life. The stats can’t allow for that.

If the employer sets the rate and we’ve had an employers markets the last few years, then the employees set their own rate 🤔

I can argue with the statistics because men and women have different attitudes, goals and priorities in life.

If the employer sets the rate and we’ve had an employers markets the last few years, then the employees set their own rate 🤔
What is the gender pay gap in NZ 2023?
8.6%
The gender pay gap in New Zealand since 1998
2023 8.6%
2022 9.2%
2021 9.1%
2020 9.5%

One positive is its getting better year upon year, or so the stats say 😉

What is the gender pay gap in NZ 2023?
8.6%
The gender pay gap in New Zealand since 1998
2023 8.6%
2022 9.2%
2021 9.1%
2020 9.5%

One positive is its getting better year upon year, or so the stats say 😉
What’s the average experience of all employees male vs female in NZ to give the stats context and meaning?

How many hours on average does a male work vs female?

What is the total experience accumulated in the workforce for the average male vs female?

How many females have actively not chosen promotions?

How many females have chased risk (promotions, sales fields, management, etc) vs males.

The gender pay gap is just numbers without context.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but many issues were bought up at the time and ignored.

I think we need learnings for any future pandemics rather than a ‘nothing to see here and forget it ever happened’.

If we are better prepared next time a lot of the issues will be dealt with smoothly with evidence based planning rather than the quick decisions we were having to make on the fly.
Bingo. Was it worth it to learn some lessons? Seems like it.

Lol gender pay gap is complete bullshit. It’s all done through “modelling”. Which means the numbers are “adjusted”

And of course it show fields because that allows to compare non equal jobs. Dental assistant and neurosurgeon are both healthcare but ain’t the same thing.

When adjusted to hourly the pay gap disappears.

Caveat weird entertainment jobs like breakfast morning host. They aren’t real people.

Lol gender pay gap is complete bullshit. It’s all done through “modelling”. Which means the numbers are “adjusted”

And of course it show fields because that allows to compare non equal jobs. Dental assistant and neurosurgeon are both healthcare but ain’t the same thing.

When adjusted to hourly the pay gap disappears.

Caveat weird entertainment jobs like breakfast morning host. They aren’t real people.
100% if it were true why would any employer employ males when they can get a female worker at a lower rate?
Also as you said more males work for ‘danger pay’- women have the same opportunities but choose not to get into that field.
Pregnancy I can see as a legit gripe it can stall career progression but you can’t really legislate for it without A: unfairly penalising men or B: unfairly benefitting those who choose not to have children. In my personal and that of some friends, my wife earns more than I do so I offered to take the parental leave- got told in no uncertain terms “no” so in many cases it is a choice

My ex who was on over double my salary would often talk about the pay gap. Made me feel super awesome about myself :(

I suffer from a confidence gap just personally, I'm on a much much lower income than the alternate universe version of myself if I had the ability to finish the double degree I started at uni 23 years ago and didn't constantly worry about the inability to sell myself and the subsequent cavalcade of missed opportunities my entire adulthood due to being an indecisive little b!tch.

My ex who was on over double my salary would often talk about the pay gap. Made me feel super awesome about myself :(

I suffer from a confidence gap just personally, I'm on a much much lower income than the alternate universe version of myself if I had the ability to finish the double degree I started at uni 23 years ago and didn't constantly worry about the inability to sell myself and the subsequent cavalcade of missed opportunities my entire adulthood due to being an indecisive little b!tch.
Self-sabotager with low self-worth aye. You're pretty hard on yourself bro, if it makes you feel any better you're probably still the 1% in terms of relative global incomes. Practically an elite when you look at it like that.

Last edited:
Self-sabotager with low self-worth aye. You're pretty hard on yourself bro, if it makes you feel any better you're probably still the 1% in terms of relative global incomes. Practically an elite when you look at it like that.
To be a global 1 percenter, you need a net worth of over $1.0 mill USD ($1.7mill NZD) and you are amongst those who own over 45.8% of the world's wealth.
To be a global 12 percenter, you need a net worth of between $100,000 to $1.0 mill USD ($170,000 to $1.7 mill NZD) and you are amongst those who own over 39.4% of the world's wealth.
To be a global 34 percenter, you need a net worth of between $10,000 to $100,000 USD ($17,000 to $170,000 NZD) and you are amongst those who own over 13.6% of the world's wealth.
But over 53% of the world's population have a net worth of less than $10,000 USD ($17,000 NZD) and they own only 1.1% of the world's wealth.

Figures are from the Global Wealth Report 2023.

We talk about how poor New Zealander's are at saving, yet globally NZ ranks 6th in the world for mean net worth and 4th in the world for median net worth....

1698205076836.png

Back