Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
I am happy with Lussick being resigned. People here myself included have given him shit at times but he has only played 35 FG games. He will only get better with more game time. I remember when Egan started with us and many gave him shit but now we talk about him being in Origin. If Lussick can get at least as good as his older brother in the Eels I would be happy.

Definitely happy with resigning Freddy.
I think it's a good thing that he's regarded as more accomplished defensively than offensively - the old "defence is attitude" thing. The attacking skills will come and he'll have time to learn those skills if he's constantly in the 17 and we're not in a position where we're constantly making changes to get results (not that Mr Webster comes across as that kind of coach).

I hope Lussick signed a 2 year extension with the NSW Cup Team. Cos I'm not gonna kiss ass & say "Yaaaay" cos its a boo for me. Oh well, Suck it up i guess 😏
Its a good sign we’re able to extend the likes of Lussick and Metcalf. Shows there’s a shift in Aus players coming here and dipping after a year or 2. We’ll still get the AFBs but it’s nice to see these young Aussie prospect choose to give it a real crack here in NZ.

I think people bagging Lussick and his resigning need to remember that Egan was bagged left and right around here for the best part of 2 or 3 seasons. Im not saying hes going to be one of the best hookers, but the kid is 23 and has 35 games under his belt. Hes durable, fit and has shown he can hang in 1st grade. Give him some time to develop while Egans body can hang in there.

I don’t really agree with the Lussick resigning . I would have liked to see Roache or CHT given a chance and then reassess if worth signing on Lussick.

I think people bagging Lussick and his resigning
I mean, We can have our own opinions on players/signings can't we? Just not a fan. I want a hooker who can pass from dummy half with fast & accurate service. That has enough speed to scoot out of dummy half & keep the opposition guessing. Can't teach speed. And his distribution skills are awful. Hearty player! Good defensively until he gets tired and falls off tackles.

Prefer to see Roache more.
But he's signed now. I'll support the man and hope he goes well with the mighty wahs.

I mean, We can have our own opinions on players/signings can't we? Just not a fan. I want a hooker who can pass from dummy half with fast & accurate service. That has enough speed to scoot out of dummy half & keep the opposition guessing. Can't teach speed. And his distribution skills are awful. Hearty player! Good defensively until he gets tired and falls off tackles.

But he's signed now. I'll support the man and hope he goes well with the mighty wahs.
Where did I say you couldnt have an opinion?

The negatives people see in Lussicks game are the exact same faults that Egan was blasted for for 3 years.

Remember Lussick was brought into provide competition and light fire in Taniela Otukolo. Club apparently felt that he needed to increase his intensity in trainings and increase his approach to be a professional player. Shows how soft our developed players are when the player asks for release at seasons end and loses his place to a loan player. Taniela was talked about as some elite player in waiting. Maybe he listened to his own press too much. Never added to his list of nrl games after he left. Such a waste.

Well done to Freddy. Gets lots of heat unfairly. He played well yesterday. He is only going to get better from his extended game time.

Egan has developed well to the point he's a critical part of the side. But he is going to be in and out of the side either due to HIA's or picking up injuries.

We need a capable backup. Lussick being extremely fit and being able to come in and play the majority or a full 80 in first grade is great for our overall squad.

He might get a bit more first grade as well sharing duties with Egan.

We have talked of becoming a development club. I know that typically means locally produced but it can also mean getting guys at a younger age and giving them an opportunity.

This also sounds like rewarding someone that has trained hard. Can't complain about that.

👋👋

He had a really good crisp pass but no kick, no dummy half darts, looked avg on D. I was comparing him to the guy he replaced - Isaac Luke. So I think the criticism at the time was fair

And we sucked as a team -
Losing didn’t help
I didn't mind Egan. Could tell he had it all where it mattered, The top two inches. Took a bit of time to find his feet. Great discipline, a bit injury prone tho. But i never hated on him.

I didn't mind Egan. Could tell he had it all where it mattered, The top two inches. Took a bit of time to find his feet. Great discipline, a bit injury prone tho. But i never hated on him.

I didn’t “hate”. Heavily criticised - yes. But he had big shoes to fill and he wasn’t filling it at the time. Same can be said of Metcalf and Lussick. But I guess that’s why it’s call development and continuous improvement

Decent depth signing especially since he can play near 80 minutes as shown last night.

His craft and passing could use a fair amount of work, last night was better than last week which was good to see.

Hope CHT keeps getting his chances though, offers just as much on D but a much crisper pass and more versatility off the bench.

Will be interesting to see how the season unfolds with those two as we need back up for Egan on the bench.

I didn’t “hate”. Heavily criticised - yes. But he had big shoes to fill and he wasn’t filling it at the time. Same can be said of Metcalf and Lussick. But I guess that’s why it’s call development and continuous improvement
My bad, Not directing the "Hate/criticism" comment at you.
JS i thought Egan was alright and a heap of upside to him.

I think most teams value defense over offence. But it just depends on your Forte
And the rest of the squad needs to complement them obviously