General The Uneven Competition

Dixpat

All in the Brown stuff!
Contributor
Feb 3, 2014
Auckland
We all know that the comp is uneven and needs some serious amendment, however when you analyze the number of games each club has played [or will play] this season against other clubs who have ended in the top 8 then I think that our team can be very pleased where they have ended up & points differential as a fair filter needs to be reassessed.

The following is the table of top 8 v top 8

Warriors 13
Broncos 12
Dragons 12
Sharks 11
Storm 11
Roosters 11
Rabbitohs 11
Panthers 9

On that basis you would think Panthers aren't going much further in the comp

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
We had soft draws for so long and cruised to nowhere on it,

It was our turn to get the shit...and that is what makes this team play.

They have Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, they get distracted or disinterested without the focus of an un winnable challenge.

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
How do you guys think other fans see our team?
Our roster must look shady ?
We get penalised a bit maybe we do wrestle a
Bit in the tackle a bit long.
Blair an Luke are not candidates for best an
Fairest awards .

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
This comp is very close.

The line of success and failure is very small.

If you consider some howlers in terms of referee decisions which impacted outcomes, or the last minute wins the likes of Canberra, Tigers would on the cusp of the Top 8, making 10 teams challenging.

Next season should be even more challenging because Parra, Bulldogs, Cowboys will comeback all guns blazing

Reactions: Sup42 and Defence

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 1, 2016
Things I think are fair:

Injuries
Same number of games per team

Unfair:

Travel miles
Cam Smith treatment from refs
Blocker Roach commentating our games.
Warriors who don't put 100% in on defence every tackle of every game.
Developing players through your junior systems to get them poached to the Australian based clubs.

Fearmuss

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 4, 2016
How do you guys think other fans see our team?
Our roster must look shady ?
We get penalised a bit maybe we do wrestle a
Bit in the tackle a bit long.
Blair an Luke are not candidates for best an
Fairest awards .

From what I’ve experienced they see us as having a near dream squad and shake their head when we underachieve.

From an outside perspective we probably have a roosters tier roster if not a bit better. Our equivalent of boats in the car park and uncle nick’s brown paper bag is homesick kiwis :)

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Travel is a bit unfair but not much you can do about that so have to suck it up.
Sydney has an advantage in regards to easier recruitment as players don’t have to uproot and less travel- again not much you can do about it outside of financial incentives for out of Sydney teams but then you open another can of worms.
Draw is just pure luck, you never know how teams will perform one year to the next so some teams benefit, some don’t.
Only truely far way is play each team once alternating home and away.
I don’t think our roster is as stacked as people think, in reality we pull players from a city of 1.5m(not a whole country), Sydney and Melbourne are 3x the size and Brisbane is bigger (which GC benefits from) and you could say Canberra has a state of over 7.5m. Only Cowboys are as isolated as us. The perception we have with our roster is the amount of internationals we have but again in reality usually Warriors players are in the spotlight for selection more than kiwis from other NRL teams- and until recently our island internationals were not in the same league as the big 3.
In terms of how we are perceived, unfortunately I think old stereotypes die hard and we get of an unfair perception in terms of discipline. I’d LOVE for some trainspotter to record the 10m lines and held times across the comp- it’d make for an interesting read.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
Travel is a bit unfair but not much you can do about that so have to suck it up.
Sydney has an advantage in regards to easier recruitment as players don’t have to uproot and less travel- again not much you can do about it outside of financial incentives for out of Sydney teams but then you open another can of worms.
Draw is just pure luck, you never know how teams will perform one year to the next so some teams benefit, some don’t.
Only truely far way is play each team once alternating home and away.
I don’t think our roster is as stacked as people think, in reality we pull players from a city of 1.5m(not a whole country), Sydney and Melbourne are 3x the size and Brisbane is bigger (which GC benefits from) and you could say Canberra has a state of over 7.5m. Only Cowboys are as isolated as us. The perception we have with our roster is the amount of internationals we have but again in reality usually Warriors players are in the spotlight for selection more than kiwis from other NRL teams- and until recently our island internationals were not in the same league as the big 3.
In terms of how we are perceived, unfortunately I think old stereotypes die hard and we get of an unfair perception in terms of discipline. I’d LOVE for some trainspotter to record the 10m lines and held times across the comp- it’d make for an interesting read.

Agree with the 10m lines and the tackle/ruck time. Try running the game on fast forward. Gives you a new perspective

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
On the field the competition is definitely even. The ladder shows that.

It is the officiating and the off field advantages due to location or financial muscle.

Officiating maybe Cleary was right when he was being diplomatic about certain teams getting better calls cause a bad call against a Sydney side gets you in the media for a week. A bad call against the Warriors or Titans and it's talked about briefly and forgotten.

The talk used to be about the out of town sides having an advantage over the poor Sydney sides. The Sydney sides get the advantage of less travel, recruit players without having to move, also a lot of them get access to a good amount of third parties.

The travel for us and the Cowboys is a pain but it is what it is. The idea of business class travel for both sides along with other sides travelling to Auckland or Townsville has merit. The main thing about the travel is the turn around times. If you need to travel any distance you want to have a decent turn around time between games.

Similar to above the draw still has 5 day turn arounds which makes things harder.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
The comps never been closer lol! Just look at the ladder to confirm. Anyone seen it any closer???
As I just posted in the Ladder thread, there could end up being as little as 2 points between 1st and 8th spot or a maximum of 6 points.... depending on the results next week.

Last year, there was 14 points difference between the Storm (44 points) and the Cowboys (30 points).

Reactions: wizards rage

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
It is a great comp in spite of the administration and officiating.
Not charging Napa earlier in the year is a case in point.

Unfortunately there will be at least one howler decision that will cost someone in the finals. Probably more. Just hope it isnt us.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
The comps never been closer lol! Just look at the ladder to confirm. Anyone seen it any closer???
Don't know about closer but right from 1908 first Season this comps been close run.

Rabbitohs Won the initial Minor Premiership on 18 points.

Roosters 2nd on 18 points with a poorer F & A

Glebe 3rd on 16 points

North Sydney 4th on 14 points.

Every time Coaches say they aren't worried with For and Against I laugh.

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
Would love to see a shorter comp where each team plays each other once.

After the comp ends, one State of Origin match is played.

Then on to the end of year International tests.

BUT it will never happen.

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2014
Disagree totally
Me too. Where did that observation come from? If raped means that at last some 50/50 calls did not automatically go their way, then I suppose the comment is correct. Or the fact that this weekend they were recognised for thrashing around and told to just get up and play the ball.

Upcoming Match

St George Dragons Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney

Last Game

09 Apr

12 - 13
5.0 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 22 ratings