General The SBW And Quade Cooper Circus

Discussion in 'NRL Discussion' started by ToiletDuck, Nov 13, 2012.

1. ToiletDuck
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

ToiletDuck Dr Faggot Contributor

I'm sure this will get some air time on here so thought I'd get in first...nothing we didn't know already, but it's at least official. Happy to see both he and Folau back in league. Bums on seats for sure. Story below..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

The Sydney Roosters are thrilled to confirm that superstar athlete Sonny Bill Williams will make his highly-anticipated return to rugby league with the foundation club in 2013.

Williams – who stands at 194cm and weighs in at 104kg – has agreed to a one season deal with the Roosters and will officially commence with the Tricolours in February, 2013 following a five-year absence from the code.

“This is a great coup for our proud club. Today, Sonny is making good on his promise to me that if he ever elected to return to rugby league, he would do so in the famous red, white and blue colours of the Sydney Roosters, and we are delighted to welcome him,” said Sydney Roosters Chairman, Mr Nick Politis.

“We are keenly aware of what Sonny brings to the table – his experience as a professional athlete is unmatched in our game. Not only is he bound to have a massive impact on the footy field but away from it as well.

“I am sure that every Roosters Member and supporter is as excited as the Roosters players and staff to have him joining our club. Even fans of other clubs and codes will be keen to witness Sonny’s return to the game.”

In his time away from rugby league, Williams played professional rugby in France and New Zealand, with the dual international winning a Super Rugby Title and Rugby World Cup. A professional boxer, he is also New Zealand’s current Heavyweight Champion.

Roosters Head Coach, Trent Robinson, said: “Anybody that has dealt with Sonny knows that he is a professional. He’s a great leader and is to be commended for the way he lives his life both on and off the footy field.

“Sonny is quite a remarkable athlete, an instinctive footballer, and I am really looking forward to working with him as part of our squad.”

27 year-old Williams made his NRL debut in 2004 aged just 18 and already achieved success at the highest level.

“After a five year absence from the game, I have today signed a one season deal with the Sydney Roosters,” said Williams.

“This follows a long-standing promise I have had in place with Roosters Chairman, Nick Politis, that if I ever returned to rugby league, it would be in the red, white and blue of the famous Sydney Roosters club.

“I am really excited to be making my return with a great club like the Roosters. I have met with Nick and Trent and I am motivated to meet the challenges we have discussed head-on.

“This isn’t a decision I have made for money – if that was the case, I would be staying with rugby union. I have signed with the club for one season so as to fulfil my pre-existing boxing commitments.

“I have set myself a number of personal goals and challenges I want to achieve as part of this club and want to do all I can to help the Roosters win a premiership.

“There is a great team here that I am looking forward to being a part of and I can’t wait to get started.”

2. allenWARRIORS
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2012

allenWARRIORS Waterboy

well there gos the hope of my avatar coming true? lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

Seems pretty obvious he doesn't really want to be back...

4. MarkW
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

MarkW 1st Grade Fringe

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

5. KPWarrior
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

KPWarrior 1st Grade Fringe

Glad I'm a Warriors supporter!

6. League Freak
    Join:
    Oct 7, 2012

League Freak U20's Player

He doesn't want to be there. I watched the press conference and wrote about it here: Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Describing signing with the Roosters as a "glass half full" opportunity....that says it all.

7. ToiletDuck
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

ToiletDuck Dr Faggot Contributor

Yeah, there were a couple of odd things about it, including this comment...

“This isn’t a decision I have made for money – if that was the case, I would be staying with rugby union. I have signed with the club for one season so as to fulfil my pre-existing boxing commitments."

Just what every fan wants to hear, talking about your signing with their club with your other sporting commitments squarely in focus.

8. allenWARRIORS
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2012

allenWARRIORS Waterboy

does eny one know how much hes on?

9. Mean_Maori_Mean
    Join:
    Sep 20, 2012

Mean_Maori_Mean U20's Player

The kiwis team will be deadly!

1. Hoffman/Locke
    2. Nightingale
    3. Inu
    4. SKD/Matai
    5. Perrett/Beale/Vatuvei
    6. Foran
    7. Marshall
    8. Matulino
    9. Luke
    10. Kasiano
    11. SBW
    12. Glenn/Smith
    13. Mannering

14. Johnson/Leuluai
    15. Bromwich
    16. Smith/Glenn
    17. Warea-Hargreaves/McKendry/Eastwood

10. allenWARRIORS
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2012

allenWARRIORS Waterboy

solid team, in my opinion id hav sbw in the centers, jus to have that extra mungral in the center D.line, as we have qulity in the back row alrdy :)

11. ajofbrisbane
    Join:
    May 17, 2012

ajofbrisbane 1st Grade Fringe

Reportedly/Rumoured $800k for the season

12. Mean_Maori_Mean
    Join:
    Sep 20, 2012

Mean_Maori_Mean U20's Player

Top team I'd go with this.

1. Locke
    2. Nightingale
    3. Inu
    4. Beale
    5. Perrett
    6. Foran
    7. Marshall
    8. Matulino
    9. Luke
    10. Kasiano
    11. SBW
    12. Proctor
    13. Mannering

14. Glenn
    15. Bromwich
    16. Warea-Hargreaves
    17. Vatuvei

13. KPWarrior
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

No $$ for the Roosters to win 2013 Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    comp after SBW signs on. Best backed in
    order: Broncos, Dogs, Storm, Sharks,
    Rabbitohs & Eels

14. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

Not if it interferes with his boxing...boxing seems to be his focus.

15. smc
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

smc 1st Grade Fringe

I'd argue Matt Rogers came back a better player.

16. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington Warriors Orange Peeler Contributor

I read an article not so long ago that had him saying that he regretted leaving Union. He actually made a handshake deal with the Roosters before the 2011 RWC and the Chiefs 2012 Super 15 title win. He regretted it because had he of realised that he was going to be finally successful at Union than he would of stayed. Memory might be playing chinese whispers on me so I'll look for a link.

MUST READ... Hazam El Masri doesnt think SBW should be allowed back! I agree.

17. Magic Stick
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Magic Stick 1st Grade Fringe

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

18. League Freak
    Join:
    Oct 7, 2012

League Freak U20's Player

Yeah he hasnt wanted to at all. Why any team would any a player who doesnt want it....I dont know.

19. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

facefacts 1st Grade Fringe

He's not back yet!!.......just because SBW signed a league contract, doesn't mean he will honor it.

He's not exactly a "my word is my bond" kinda guy.

20. KPWarrior
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Yeah I remember reading that too, which kinda makes this whole thing even more bizarre, unless he's trying to improve his image and gain some integrity (in league circles) but then why bother? You can walk away from a 5 year deal with the Dogs but you can't get out of a handshake deal from 2 years ago to join the Roosters? But then again it's a World Cup year, he likes his $$ but I think he likes the big stage just as much!