General The positions of controversy

JonB_old

Coming into the game there were a few positions that were controversal,
Fein at half, Sione at six Tony Martin on the wing and the bench as a whole.

What are the thoughts now?

AliN_old

for me, same as before the game, and it showed today especially with Martin.
I felt sorry for the poor guy, he shouldn't have been on the wing.

Kav_old

I'd have Fien at hooker - a good tackler but not quick enough for the halves.

Sione is not creative enough for stand off so back to loose forward for him. I'd like to see him with a roving commission.

I'd have Hohaia at halfback and Rovelli at stand off.

Martin is a centre - his positional sense at wing is nearly as bad as Meli's without the hits.

Re the bench, Rovelli should play 80 minutes, Koopu needs more game time and the other two had little impact.

Kav

playdaball_old

Kav said:

Sione is not creative enough for stand off so back to loose forward for him. I'd like to see him with a roving commission.

Martin is a centre - his positional sense at wing is nearly as bad as Meli's without the hits.

Re the bench, Rovelli should play 80 minutes, Koopu needs more game time and the other two had little impact.

Kav

KAV

I agree with you. If we are pinning our hopes on Fien this year then we'll be in trouble. Hohaia has always played well at # 7 for the Warriors and should be in that spot not at #9.

Good to see that Martin's kicking was good. He is not a winger and sides will pick up on this and expose him bigtime if this selection trend continues.

ozbash_old

Kav said:

Kav

i,d love to know why koops was benched.. the "pre-season trial form" excuse seems to get used a lot.

rovelli was signed as a half wasnt he ?
maybe we should try him there.

Iafeta_old

Fien is a hooker for sure, played great there last year, but was totally ineffective with his kicking and tactical organisation today. He's the sort of bloke that can snipe out of dummy half and make a play, rather than put on a great kick or a long cut out pass to make a play

Martin, not a winger's A-hole. Injury seems to have slowed him down. Believe it or not, he was once a very quick player at Melbourne. Certainly his positioning was poor.

Sione - very happy with him, creating opportunities with Webb at set piece time in particular, and was able to go to the line and create options for his outside men. Then again, I didn't go into the game with any preconceived ideas or prejudgements that he shouldn't be a #6, seems he's copped a bagging during the trials when 90-100% of the people didn't see him in all 3 trials. Fair crack of the whip!

Bench, one notable failure and I hope having played his last game at the Warriors - Hame Lauaki. Not fit enough, not quick enough, not smart enough. See ya later Hame.

Ronnie_7_old

Kav said:

Kav

I'd do pretty much the same. Bring Toddy Byrne on the wing.

I don't understand why they put Martin on the wing. He really doesn't have the pace. It's not his fault. You could clearly tell that they guy is better off centre and is used to playing there from the way he kept coming off his wing and leaving the outside guy unmarked.

Leaguelass_old

Martin impressed me in the trial game against the Doggies (yes I was there) maybe thats why he was picked over Byrne. Me - I like Todd Byrne and he played well for us last year so was a bit disappointed that he wasn't in the side today. I'd have him on the wing with Martin at centre but then what would you do with Ropati - 2nd row maybe???

Esoj_old

Rovelli looked really good when he was on so surely he demands a start at 6 or 9. Sione I don't think really has all the skills to be a quality 6 and imo he would be better at 13.

Fein is a class act although his kicking was not flash today. he did carry the cowboys to the finals in 2004 when he was playing 7 which many people forget.

I don't think fein and hohaia at 6 and 7 would really work as both like to take control and one would limit the others skill. Rovelli has all the skills to be a 6. has a kicking game and has a nice step as well. he could go well feeding off whoever is in 7 and has creavity skills that sione just doesn't have.

martin hes not a winger. it is nice he is back but why cut your top try scorer in byrne from the team. byrne is a winger and a noted finisher and should be starting. martin is defintely a centre and should play there if picked.

the bench bar rovelli had little impact. you barely knew they were on the feild. koopu should be starting for sure or get more game time. and villa I think should be on the bench.

KeepingTheFaith_old

I'd have Vuna ahead of Byrne and Martin on the wing. Maybe that would leave our backline a little inexperienced, but I'm really keen for Vuna to be given a go.

kiwi man_old

evry 1 is baggin the bench out, didnt go too badly i reckon out of the bench today Rovelli, lauaki, tuimivave and koopu the only one that went poorly was lauaki. tuimivave i thought went very well today he had more impact with the ball than wiki did IMO. and i thought about moving martin to the centres but his defence would get tested especially next week against the bigger types like ben smith and timana tahu.
cleary definately has some big decisions to make during the week
we cant afford to lose many more of these early games.

missing teeth_old

Esoj said:
he did carry the cowboys to the finals in 2004 when he was playing 7 which many people forget.

Wasn't he the 2nd string halfback for most of the year?

I have to disagree. As much as he is all heart, the only thing he has in his repertoire is a 50/50 bomb.

L N_old

Kav said:

Kav

DITTO Kav....couldnt of said it better
though with all the still jumbling around of players
we where in it right to the very end
competitive with the signs of vast improvments still to come

the storm to tweak out the win
especially with the amount of ball we served up to them
as well as the disallowed tries we missed
the boys can get a hell of lot better
up the mighty warriors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LEAGUE NUTTER

tezzah_old

Based on the stats of the game the Warriors hould have won!

Strike power was needed from the bench and wasnt as effective!

Fien needed protection esp. on the fifth tackle kick!

Wiki tired himself out of attack- so what were the 2nd rowers doing?

At times Price was tired from all the defence!

Sione missed a crucial tackle on Crocker which led to a great hit up!

JonB_old

tezzah said:
Based on the stats of the game the Warriors hould have won!

Strike power was needed from the bench and wasnt as effective!

Fien needed protection esp. on the fifth tackle kick!

Wiki tired himself out of attack- so what were the 2nd rowers doing?

At times Price was tired from all the defence!

Sione missed a crucial tackle on Crocker which led to a great hit up!

What do you mean by strike power? another Iafeta, if we can't get strike power from the bench like Iafeta gave us if that is your implication, how can we over come that problem or make use of our bench?

sebastian_old

Bench, one notable failure and I hope having played his last game at the Warriors - Hame Lauaki. Not fit enough, not quick enough, not smart enough. See ya later Hame.[/quote]

Totaly agree he was nothing but a bumbling elephant.