General The NRL Rookie

tajhay

Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Anyone know of the Kiwi contestants/players participating in the NRL Rookie TV show that is coming up soon?

For those that dont know, the NRL Rookie show is a new concept, where a group of players who are given a second chance at trying to get an NRL contract. Unfortunately, it is hosted by Erin Molan, and to make matters worse Brad Fittler will be their 'coach'. From the sneak peeks shown, they seem to compete in 'survivor' type contests rather than matchplay. The winner gets a guaranteed NRL contract. TBH i would have preferred a team of misfits that had been banished from the NRL and being given a second chance. People like Willis Meehan, Arana Taumata. Add in highly rated juniors who just didnt cut it in the top grade like Karl Filiga, Nafe Seluini, Omar Slaimankhel woulda been good. Problem would have been who they would play though.

I believe there were some players in the running who people had posted youtube videos of on here and they absolutely monstered the opposition. For the life of me i cannot recall the name but its on here somewhere. Anyone know how he fared?

From memory a few union players, american football players, and players from afar sent applications for it.

More information on the show here (although not much by the look of things):
https://nrlrookie.com/

Reactions: OMG and matiunz

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
It will be interesting to see how this goes in league.

The AFL had a version of this in 2014, the winner played 14 games in (I presume) the NSW cup equivalent before being cut from Port Adelaide after a year without playing a game. Another club hasn't picked him up

Reactions: tajhay and zegy

Selector

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 2, 2015
Show begins this Tuesday 31st May on Duke at 9.45pm, for those interested in watching the show. Will be interesting to see what level of rugby league talent is on show, an if anyone actually makes it big in the NRL from the show.

Obligatory promo for the show

Last edited:

STEEDEN

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
Auckland
Kiwis chasing big time

Brad Fittler (Head Coach), Erin Molan (Host), Mark Geyer (Forwards coach), Kate Baecher (team sports psychologist), Adrian Lam (backs coach).

Chosen from more than 1200 applicants, the New Zealand contingent are part of a group of 28 hopefuls from eight different nationalities, working towards the grand prize, with the last player standing winning a guaranteed NRL contract.

Over 10 weeks, the group are assessed and one player is cut each episode by NRL Rookie head coach, former Australia and NSW State of Origin captain and Channel Nine commentator, Brad Fittler, and his assistants, former internationals and club teammates, Mark Geyer and Adrian Lam.

The series culminates with the live finale attended by all 16 NRL clubs to decide who becomes The NRL Rookie for 2016.

In his role as defence coach, former Penrith enforcer Geyer was impressed by the commitment shown by the Kiwi candidates.

While aiming to showcase their playing ability, the series is propelled by the players' varied back stories, with many facing their last shot at a professional league career.

"The Kiwis are very well represented," said Geyer. "In particular, two young blokes, Reece Joyce and Roydon Gillett. One [Joyce] was a prodigy union player who was basically caught up on the wrong side of the tracks, had a couple of kids at a young age, and now at 24 he decided to have another go.

"He's a good young man who has admitted his faults and got on with life and was very impressive. Gillett was another one who was like the father figure of the group. They were both extremely talented.

"Gary-John Hill, a Kiwi boy living in Perth, is a front-rower and they all acquitted themselves brilliantly."

Long-time fans of the game will also recognise some familiar surnames with Jesse Shearer, son of former Queensland and Kangaroos wing Dale, and Jordan Martin, son of ex-Canberra Raiders winger Paul, also among the rookie squad.

The first episode of The NRL Rookie airs on TVNZ's Duke channel tonight at 9.45.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11647758

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Well caught 80 percent of the show. Its a reality tv show more about ratings than about good football. However there is one guy on the show that has just had heart surgery to make sure he could be there. I think he is going to be the feel good factor for the show but i only wish all the warriors had the passion hes showing at the moment. He was the last man chosen for the first player split.

I think ill watch it again, but i wont bother setting the record for it.

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
I was hoping it would be like the contender and spend 15-20 minutes just showing the unedited game, so we could make our own minds up. I guess that wouldn't be exciting for some

Unfortunately there is a lot of cheese and random, seemingly irrelevant challenges. Some very old contestants too (late 20s)

Unless I missed it they didn't explain the prize very well. A contract for a NRL side. What kind of contract? How do they pick teams? What advantages are there for this team etc? (especialy for older players)

Still an interesting watch. Interested in how that English prop goes; looks super athletic. Comes from a union background.

Also interested in what happens when players inevitably get injured.

Pete

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 3, 2012
Would be better if they are all pacific island talent and people who actually could be stars. Maybe the Warriors and Maori TV or something could run one in Fiji. Wright " where is my ticket back to NZ". "No you stay here". They are more after drama and rose ceremonies than finding stars I fear. I would say the top talent from NZ is well looked after.

gREVUS

Contributor
May 8, 2012
Unless I missed it they didn't explain the prize very well. A contract for a NRL side. What kind of contract? How do they pick teams? What advantages are there for this team etc? (especialy for older players)
Ya we noted this as well. I think its supposed to be a first grade contract, but imagine its on the minimum, with no guarantee of game time. Also there are 13 spots on a field this is defn not horses for courses. Im guessing they will send them to the knights as they are a NRL owned team ATM. and would take anything for at least one game.

gREVUS

Contributor
May 8, 2012
Would be better if they are all pacific island talent and people who actually could be stars. Maybe the Warriors and Maori TV or something could run one in Fiji. Wright " where is my ticket back to NZ". "No you stay here". They are more after drama and rose ceremonies than finding stars I fear. I would say the top talent from NZ is well looked after.
whats a rose ceremony?

Trugoy

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 3, 2016
Bit of a try hard 'reality' show type thing. Plenty of cheese.
Pretty vague on what the actual prize is.
Freddy is hard to watch anytime let alone hosting a show. Haha
But it's about footy so will def keep watching to see how it unfolds.

Reactions: Worried2Death

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
The only way I could see the prize working is the player signs a minimum wage contract with the NRL. The NRL then auctions the player off to the teams.

Reactions: Nahz

Pete

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 3, 2012
You think the NRL could force one of the teams they run to sign the winner up? Who do they run? Knights, Titans???
I was wondering that myself. One team gets a free player? Who never ever sees first grade and gets laughed at by the others. Knights have enough terrible players to take on another one.

The Cheap Seats

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2015
I can't wait to see more of the up close shots of contestants breathing heavily in slow motion in high definition.
Inspiring stuff.

One guy had a guy on his back running downhill. Cramp can kill, glad he got him out of there. Heroic.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013

Last Game

31 Jul

26 - 20
6.7 Total Avg Rating
6.8 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings