General The Mad Butcher - Sir Peter Leitch QSM

PNG Kiwi

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 11, 2016
Having had open heart surgery, i can only imagine the discomfort of having further surgery.

Get well Sir Peter, lets hope the boys try a bit harder for you.

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
The Mad Butcher: No-one died, but this puts another Warriors loss in perspective
Sir Peter Leitch (aka The Mad Butcher), Nicky Styris and CEO Cameron George at the Vodafone Warriors Season Launch 2019. NRL Rugby League. Sky City, Auckland, New Zealand. Wednesday 6 March 2019.

Andrew Cornaga/PHOTOSPORT
Sir Peter Leitch (aka The Mad Butcher), Nicky Styris and CEO Cameron George at the Vodafone Warriors Season Launch 2019. NRL Rugby League. Sky City, Auckland, New Zealand. Wednesday 6 March 2019.

OPINION: Wish I had a dollar for every time I have said 'no-one died' after a disappointing showing from my Vodafone Warriors.
Beaten again in a game we should have won, given how poor the Cowboys are, and putting in a performance no one will take any pride from along the way, we are now just two wins from six games, and of course with the long Easter break, by the time you read this it will be just a few hours until we get our annual Anzac Day flogging in Melbourne.
You could be excused for thinking this deep into the season that it is already one only the most cheerful of optimists would imagine getting anything positive from.

Vodafone Warriors v North Queensland Cowboys, Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand.

Andrew Cornaga/PHOTOSPORT

Vodafone Warriors v North Queensland Cowboys, Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand.
But like I say, 'no one died', and that is something I have had way too much time to contemplate having spent the last week in hospital after heart surgery.

Things did not go as well as we all hoped and consequently I spent a bit of time having nigh-nighs in intensive care and wondering, given how crook I felt, if I might not be getting along to too many more league matches.
So going down 17-10 is not uppermost in my mind.

On the positive side I have had the pleasure of being nursed and cared for by some wonderful people. Take a bow all nurses.
Mine have been wonderful and it is pretty obvious to me these are not the kind of people who got into the profession believing they were going to get rich, their motivation much more about the caring side of their natures.

Sir Peter Leitch, aka the Mad Butcher, is in hospital, where he says he has been fighting for his life.
One of my new friends did tell me a wonderful story about her son, who has Down Syndrome, and who became very concerned when his mother's caring nature meant she had not got home when she should have one night, because she was caught up doing the best she possibly could for one of her patients.

Our man knew what to do – although he has since had some tutoring on the matter. He called 111.
It was a story an ailing old butcher, feeling genuinely sorry for himself, needed to hear. What a great love story.

Jackson Hemopo of the Highlanders on the attack during the round 10 Super Rugby match between the Highlanders and the Blues at Forsyth Barr Stadium on April 20, 2019 in Dunedin, New Zealand.

ROB JEFFERIES/GETTY IMAGES

Jackson Hemopo of the Highlanders on the attack during the round 10 Super Rugby match between the Highlanders and the Blues at Forsyth Barr Stadium on April 20, 2019 in Dunedin, New Zealand.

I organised for this young man to be delivered some Warriors gear, and a shout out to the police too, who did not give this young man a hard time, but instead told him all about what to do and showed him kindness.
I reckon there is not enough of it about, and I blame the Highlanders, who showed my Blues no kind of love either, beating them in Dunedin on Saturday night.

The Blues looked good for a while but wilted like lettuce in the second period, and they have now lost 23 in a row to Kiwi opposition away from Eden Park.

Yvette Corlett (nee Williams) leaped to long jump gold at the 1950 Empire Games in Auckland - remarkably, her first international competition. Olympic glory was soon to follow.

GETTY IMAGES

Yvette Corlett (nee Williams) leaped to long jump gold at the 1950 Empire Games in Auckland - remarkably, her first international competition. Olympic glory was soon to follow.

And sadly this is where I have to deviate from my 'no one died' position because I want to acknowledge the passing of Olympic great Yvette Corlett, who I always knew as Yvettte Williams, the name she carried when she became our first ever women's gold medallist, leaping to long-jump glory in Helsinki in 1952.

To today's young people the name probably means nothing, but to my generation Yvette was a household name.
Do not fool yourself for a moment that she did not pave the way for others to follow. She trained harder, worked longer and had a temperament that set her apart from her peers – 21 different national titles in five different events attests to that.
I've been told a story that Yvette turned up at the home of Barbara Kendall in Buckland's Beach, where I live, after Barbara won gold in windsurfing in Barcelona, just to congratulate her.
That is a wonderful story, so gracious, so kind.

Like I say, I don't think there is enough kindness around, maybe Melbourne can show my Warriors some on Anzac Day.
My heart could do with a break!

Reactions: mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
I don't think 95% of people truly understand just how much work the Butch does for league behind the scenes. He's HUGE! There is a very good reason why he was given Queen's honours for services to league. There is also a very good reason why we retired the 19th number in his honour. I seriously doubt there will be another fan as passionate about NZ league from the Kiwis, Warriors and grassroots ever again.

Really do hope he gets better and takes it easy. He can't go just yet. The club owe him a Premiership!!!

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
No need to comment...but a sad ending really.

New liquidators for Green Family Butchers Ltd to pursue legal action against Mad Butcher Holdings​

The new liquidators of the company behind Mad Butcher Pukekohe intend pursuing legal action against franchise holder Mad Butcher Holdings as creditors' claims surpass $220,000.

Green Family Butchers, trading as Mad Butcher Pukekohe, was placed into liquidation in May 2020 with Victoria Toon of Corporate Restructuring appointed at the time. However, she has since resigned and Catherine and Peter Jollands of Jollands Calendar have replaced her.

Peter Jollands, who has been liquidator for a large number of dissolved companies formerly trading under the Mad Butcher brand, would not disclose exactly why his firm had taken over the liquidation case, other than "there were further issues that may be relating to Green Family Butchers".

The focus was on investigating matters that the previous liquidator found, Jollands told the Herald.

He would not disclose what these matters were. However, Toon's most recent report released late last month stated the new liquidators "will be pursuing legal action against the franchisor as part of a group action".

The legal action against franchisor Mad Butcher Holdings stems from a number of issues, including concerns over the operating model being unsustainable, Jollands said.

Last year liquidators took separate legal action against Mad Butcher Holdings in another case and were successful in their application to the High Court. Mad Butcher counter-sued the liquidators for $750,000, but lost on both counts and Catherine and Peter Jollands were ultimately awarded costs, Jollands said. He did not disclose specifics.

"We're reviewing those matters and we're also reviewing other matters," Jollands said.

Green Family Butchers Ltd was run by Roy and Amanda Green. Roy Green passed away last year shortly after the company was first placed into liquidation.

Mad Butcher Pukekohe is still trading, now run by a separate party that took over the store lease from the Green Family.
ollands said the "flawed" Mad Butcher operating model was having devastating effects on franchise operators and their families.

"I said right at the outset in 2017 to the media that the Mad Butcher business model was flawed and as such is unsustainable. I also said that back in 2016, and I can say it again now.

"I am the liquidator of six Mad Butchers and I am aware of the Whangarei case and other litigation [cases], including our own, and I am more than convinced of what the damage has been to families to marriage break-ups to suicides, and I refer you to Roy Green as one of note which is a very, very sad thing when people are so stressed that they take their life into their own hands."

Prior to resignation, Toon's first liquidator's report found Green Family Butchers Ltd had "increasing costs and a lack of cash flow resulting in the company being unable to pay their debts". Its revenue further declined due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Following her investigation, Toon found that it owed creditors a combined total of $751,543.

Her second report concluded by saying that "the liquidator will now resign in favour of Peter Jollands and Catherine Jollands. The new liquidators will be pursuing legal action against the Franchisor as part of a group action."

More than 20 Mad Butcher franchises have folded in the past few years, with Jollands on several occasions citing that the business model as no longer viable.

The Mad Butcher business, which was previously owned by NZX-listed Veritas, is now co-owned by Michael Morton and partner Julie Leitch, the daughter of original founder Sir Peter Leitch.

The first franchised Mad Butcher outlet opened in 1998. The company was majority owned by Sir Peter Leitch until 2007. Morton, and Leitch bought back the business in July 2018.

Mad Butcher store numbers have decreased dramatically over the past few years. The butcher chain once had 40 stores throughout the country. Today, about 20 remain.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
No need to comment...but a sad ending really.

New liquidators for Green Family Butchers Ltd to pursue legal action against Mad Butcher Holdings​

The new liquidators of the company behind Mad Butcher Pukekohe intend pursuing legal action against franchise holder Mad Butcher Holdings as creditors' claims surpass $220,000.

Green Family Butchers, trading as Mad Butcher Pukekohe, was placed into liquidation in May 2020 with Victoria Toon of Corporate Restructuring appointed at the time. However, she has since resigned and Catherine and Peter Jollands of Jollands Calendar have replaced her.

Peter Jollands, who has been liquidator for a large number of dissolved companies formerly trading under the Mad Butcher brand, would not disclose exactly why his firm had taken over the liquidation case, other than "there were further issues that may be relating to Green Family Butchers".

The focus was on investigating matters that the previous liquidator found, Jollands told the Herald.

He would not disclose what these matters were. However, Toon's most recent report released late last month stated the new liquidators "will be pursuing legal action against the franchisor as part of a group action".

The legal action against franchisor Mad Butcher Holdings stems from a number of issues, including concerns over the operating model being unsustainable, Jollands said.

Last year liquidators took separate legal action against Mad Butcher Holdings in another case and were successful in their application to the High Court. Mad Butcher counter-sued the liquidators for $750,000, but lost on both counts and Catherine and Peter Jollands were ultimately awarded costs, Jollands said. He did not disclose specifics.

"We're reviewing those matters and we're also reviewing other matters," Jollands said.

Green Family Butchers Ltd was run by Roy and Amanda Green. Roy Green passed away last year shortly after the company was first placed into liquidation.

Mad Butcher Pukekohe is still trading, now run by a separate party that took over the store lease from the Green Family.
ollands said the "flawed" Mad Butcher operating model was having devastating effects on franchise operators and their families.

"I said right at the outset in 2017 to the media that the Mad Butcher business model was flawed and as such is unsustainable. I also said that back in 2016, and I can say it again now.

"I am the liquidator of six Mad Butchers and I am aware of the Whangarei case and other litigation [cases], including our own, and I am more than convinced of what the damage has been to families to marriage break-ups to suicides, and I refer you to Roy Green as one of note which is a very, very sad thing when people are so stressed that they take their life into their own hands."

Prior to resignation, Toon's first liquidator's report found Green Family Butchers Ltd had "increasing costs and a lack of cash flow resulting in the company being unable to pay their debts". Its revenue further declined due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Following her investigation, Toon found that it owed creditors a combined total of $751,543.

Her second report concluded by saying that "the liquidator will now resign in favour of Peter Jollands and Catherine Jollands. The new liquidators will be pursuing legal action against the Franchisor as part of a group action."

More than 20 Mad Butcher franchises have folded in the past few years, with Jollands on several occasions citing that the business model as no longer viable.

The Mad Butcher business, which was previously owned by NZX-listed Veritas, is now co-owned by Michael Morton and partner Julie Leitch, the daughter of original founder Sir Peter Leitch.

The first franchised Mad Butcher outlet opened in 1998. The company was majority owned by Sir Peter Leitch until 2007. Morton, and Leitch bought back the business in July 2018.

Mad Butcher store numbers have decreased dramatically over the past few years. The butcher chain once had 40 stores throughout the country. Today, about 20 remain.
So sad that the name on the shops is the MB.
Michael Morton = trouble

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
So sad that the name on the shops is the MB.
Michael Morton = trouble
Yes a controversial guy.

Franchises are difficult to manage so that things are equally fair to both parties.

So usually one party is losing on the deal. If the franchisor has the power over the contract they usually make sure they are on the winning side.

Usually the guy or gal that develops the franchise works very hard to attract franchisees and therefore develops a type of loyalty to them to grow the business.

That is really how a good franchise should work and I remember one of the first Mad Butcher franchisees speaking quite fondly of Peter Leitch. That was a long time ago and he was very successful.

Sure he was paying a lot to Peter, but he was getting it back in sales. It was a win, win, situation.

That franchisee eventually got sick of the problems, mainly involving Morton and wanted out, so Morton took him to Court. I think it is still before the Court.

One problem as I see it is when the original franchisor decides to cash in and sell out. The new owner is more interested in money than any loyalty to the franchisees.

Once that happens the culture of the business starts to fail and everybody is in it for the money, forget the customer, forget the franchisee.

IME corporate management are brain dead and are just part of a cult to screw anybody in sight. In fact screwing people is a badge of honour to these leaches.

Peter Jollands, who I know to be a very honest and straightforward accountant has gone on the record as saying the Mad Butcher business model is unsustainable.

If that is the case then the benefits of joining that franchise are non existent and arguably fraudulent.

I heard from a mate the other day.

A friend of his had paid for an expensive franchise that was supposed to earn him a very good income. I knew of that franchise and that the owners were just liars in what they claimed. However that was because of my knowledge of that industry.

The newbies have no idea of what they are in for. That guy ended up losing a lot of money and in a court case with the franchise.

He was not to know, as I did , that that franchise had been in many court actions over the years, some made the press, most didn't.

Very sad all round.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Yes a controversial guy.

Franchises are difficult to manage so that things are equally fair to both parties.

So usually one party is losing on the deal. If the franchisor has the power over the contract they usually make sure they are on the winning side.

Usually the guy or gal that develops the franchise works very hard to attract franchisees and therefore develops a type of loyalty to them to grow the business.

That is really how a good franchise should work and I remember one of the first Mad Butcher franchisees speaking quite fondly of Peter Leitch. That was a long time ago and he was very successful.

Sure he was paying a lot to Peter, but he was getting it back in sales. It was a win, win, situation.

That franchisee eventually got sick of the problems, mainly involving Morton and wanted out, so Morton took him to Court. I think it is still before the Court.

One problem as I see it is when the original franchisor decides to cash in and sell out. The new owner is more interested in money than any loyalty to the franchisees.

Once that happens the culture of the business starts to fail and everybody is in it for the money, forget the customer, forget the franchisee.

IME corporate management are brain dead and are just part of a cult to screw anybody in sight. In fact screwing people is a badge of honour to these leaches.

Peter Jollands, who I know to be a very honest and straightforward accountant has gone on the record as saying the Mad Butcher business model is unsustainable.

If that is the case then the benefits of joining that franchise are non existent and arguably fraudulent.

I heard from a mate the other day.

A friend of his had paid for an expensive franchise that was supposed to earn him a very good income. I knew of that franchise and that the owners were just liars in what they claimed. However that was because of my knowledge of that industry.

The newbies have no idea of what they are in for. That guy ended up losing a lot of money and in a court case with the franchise.

He was not to know, as I did , that that franchise had been in many court actions over the years, some made the press, most didn't.

Very sad all round.
From what I have heard about the Mad Butcher model it is very much unsustainable and the franchisees get very little for it apart from the name on the store.

Also getting harder and harder to.operate these kinds of stores with the number of supermarkets around offering sharper deals usually and getting picked up with the main shopping run.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
I knew of Mr Morton during his Nosh days - heard not so nice stories. A friend had a MB franchise and it didn’t finish well. He has no time for MM, and felt sorry for Sir Peter.

Reactions: bruce

Dixpat

All in the Brown stuff!
Contributor
Feb 3, 2014
Auckland
From what I have heard about the Mad Butcher model it is very much unsustainable and the franchisees get very little for it apart from the name on the store.

Also getting harder and harder to.operate these kinds of stores with the number of supermarkets around offering sharper deals usually and getting picked up with the main shopping run.
Unsustainable does not equal fraudulent so not sure what legal argument the liquidators would base their case on.

Upcoming Match

Gold Coast Titans Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings