General The Mad Butcher - Sir Peter Leitch QSM

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
The Mad Butcher - Sir Peter Leitch QSM
item1.jpg
Sir Peter Charles Leitch was born to working class parents Myrtle and John, the youngest of seven children, in 1944 and grew up in Newtown in Wellington.

He left school in 1959 having battled what would be quickly recognised today as dyslexia, working first as a telegram delivery boy.

When he decided to get a skill behind him he joined a Seatoun butchery and eventually moved to Auckland, where he traded his butcher's knife for a gravedigger's shovel.

But he was soon back working as a butcher and he would work all week and then hit the road with his wife Janice in their Morris Minor checking out shops and locations.

He found one in Mangere's Rosella Rd and it changed his life.

Down the road was the Mangere East Hawks Rugby League Club and he was soon providing meat for raffles and player of the day prizes. Now, more than 40 years on, he is still involved in the club.

He once famously offered the club - insuring himself against the risk - $80,000 to win the premiership. They didn't.

peterandwallylewis.JPG

Pete with his good mate and the King of Rugby League, Wally Lewis

Rugby league always struggled in a country obsessed with rugby but The Mad Butcher was a one man league promotion service, devoting much of his butchery chain's radio advertising time to pushing the game at every level.

He is an honorary league ambassador for the Vodafone Warriors, and both the Auckland and New Zealand Rugby Leagues.

He is Vodafone Warrior No 19, with the number permanently retired in his honour, and was also given a 100 game ring by the club.

He has been the Kiwis assistant manager but is especially proud of being the football manager in 2005 - when his beloved Kiwis beat Australia 24-0 to win the Tri-Series, and in 2006, when the Kiwis were beaten in extra time.

He celebrated both events by publishing books on the Kiwis, The Year the Kiwis Flew: From Woodenspooners to Winners - which sold an unheard of 10,000 copies in 2005, and The Year That Was in 2006.

He is a fixture at the Mt Smart home of the Vodafone Warriors and still personally hosts hundreds of members at The Mad Butcher Club at every home game. The club is an iconic part of the Warriors set-up and a regular haunt for visiting fans who have crossed the Tasman to back their teams.

peter-and-graham.jpg

Peter's good mate Graham!

The Mad Butcher is possibly the most famous man in New Zealand, and the chain is certainly one of the most widely recognised businesses. His biography, What a Ride Mate! The Life and Times of the Mad Butcher was launched by his good friend former prime minister Helen Clark. The book sold out and spent several weeks in the bestsellers list.

Pete was awarded the Queen's Service Medal in 1991 for his work in the community, the Butcher is also a fundraising champion, supporting many causes - particularly in the health field.

He is the chairman of the Mad Butcher and Suburban Newspapers Community Trust, which has raised well over $1 million for charities, and is also an ambassador for Allergy New Zealand, a cause dear to his heart because it affects one of his own grandsons.

Even he does not know how much he has raised or personally given to charity but it certainly runs to millions of dollars.

After experiencing some health difficulties and a series of family bereavements Peter sold the business to his then chief executive Mike Morton.

Today he devotes his time to his extensive charity commitments, speaking engagements, his beloved Vodafone Warriors and kayaking.

Despite his business, sporting and charity achievements, he remains proudest of his family. Janice has been by his side for 43 years and they have two daughters, Angela and Julie, and four grandchildren.

https://web.archive.org/web/2013082...butcher.co.nz/about_the_mad_butcher/index.cfm

Reactions: blue bells

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Sir-Peter-receives-his-pounamu-taonga-3.jpg

DECEMBER 7, 2018 / AWARDS COMMUNITY FEATURED ARTICLE
SIR PETER LEITCH HONOURED AT KIWIS REUNION

He’s known to most as ‘The Mad Butcher,’ but what many may not know about Sir Peter Leitch, is just how much he has done for rugby league and the sport’s community in New Zealand.

It’s hard to remember a Kiwis Test match where Sir Peter Leitch wasn’t present and when it comes to Warriors games, he’s basically a walking billboard who pulls people from all walks of life into the game to get a taste of being a part of the rugby league whanau.

Many can recognise the unique ability rugby league has to unite and empower communities, and those people who make that possible very rarely want the accolades to show for their hard work. Sir Peter Leitch is one of those special people who inject rugby league with life and purpose but he is quick to point out that he “doesn’t do it for the awards.”

At the Kiwis reunion recently, NZRL Chairman Reon Edwards presented Sir Peter Leitch with a special recognition pounamu taonga to honour his tireless contributions to rugby league that dates back to the 1970s.

“Sir Peter has touched the lives of so many people within the NZRL community,”

“Whether it’s assisting league communities with fundraising or helping individuals who may not otherwise have the resources to reach their goals, he generously gives his time and money to support those in need without expecting anything in return and has done for many years,” Edwards says.

Leitch began his association with league through the Mangere East Hawks in Auckland during the 1970s before becoming involved with NZRL, the Kiwis and Warriors.

He was NZRL patron from 2011 to 2017, manager of the Kiwis’ successful 2005 Tri-Nations campaign and the Warriors have even retired the No. 19 jersey in his honour.

It’s safe to say his efforts go beyond the usual life membership criteria, his kind gestures purely done for the love of rugby league and its people.

“My newsletter (Mad Butcher’s Club weekly newsletter) has been going for almost 20 years now and just like everything I do, it’s for the game and the people within it,”

“I was humbled to receive the pounamu in front of the 2018 Kiwis team and a room full of Kiwis legends that have also given their lives to the game,” Leitch says.

His passion for rugby league is infectious and New Zealand Rugby League wishes to thank Sir Peter Leitch for all that he has done for the game of rugby league in New Zealand.

https://nzrl.co.nz/sir-peter-leitch-honoured-at-kiwis-reunion/

Reactions: blue bells

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Didn't want to go off his only other thread in this forum which was the Waiheke incident. He doesn't deserve to remembered for that first and foremost in this forum.

Started this one so I could share a link to his final newsletter. After 248 he's hanging up the pen. Bit sad seeing it end but I understand he's getting on and priorities change...

Mad Butcher 1.png

http://newsletter.sirpeterleitch.co.nz/files/MB_Newsletter_248.pdf

blue bells

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 15, 2017
Top bloke, i remember meeting him as a kid at his store in Mangere East while working for my father at his workshop on the corner of massey rd and i think is it greys ave? where the Bp was on the corner..anyway i remember we chatted about league for a good 5-10mins as he was telling me i woulda been good to play being a 6ft 16 year old that i was..one of my fondest memories to date..such a nice guy

Reactions: mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Top bloke, i remember meeting him as a kid at his store in Mangere East while working for my father at his workshop on the corner of massey rd and i think is it greys ave? where the Bp was on the corner..anyway i remember we chatted about league for a good 5-10mins as he was telling me i woulda been good to play being a 6ft 16 year old that i was..one of my fondest memories to date..such a nice guy
Grays Ave.

I remember always going in there when I was younger. Was the cheapest place to get meat. He would always say hi and be friendly. Every now and then he'd be talking to one of his staff and letting the obscenities fly lol. He didn't give a shit. Worst time was when I saw him blowing up one of his workers. It was like he was going to bash the shit out of him...

blue bells

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 15, 2017
Grays Ave.

I remember always going in there when I was younger. Was the cheapest place to get meat. He would always say hi and be friendly. Every now and then he'd be talking to one of his staff and letting the obscenities fly lol. He didn't a shit. Worst time was when I saw him blowing up one of his workers. It was like he was going to bash the shit out of him...
Definitely the cheapest yes, i also think maccas being there helped it bring in customers too, luckily for me i never got to see that side of him, although i doubt anything would have changed the good memories for me lol was probs a tad entertaining to watch though..i hope the boys win a comp for him i truly do..is that him in the pic with Stacey? if so geez hes looking frail unless its just the angle.

EDIT: also thanks for clearing the spelling up for me, havent been back for years and my memory aint what it once was lol

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
My Great Uncle owned a bike/lawnmower shop in Mangere and my Dad would go up to Auckland when he was a kid and stay with him.

One day he took him around the corner to visit the Mad Butcher. He was being cheeky so they put him in the fridge.

My Dad yelled out "Let me out of here or I'll piss all over your meat!"

Butch let him out quick smart

blue bells

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 15, 2017
My Great Uncle owned a bike/lawnmower shop in Mangere and my Dad would go up to Auckland when he was a kid and stay with him.

One day he took him around the corner to visit the Mad Butcher. He was being cheeky so they put him in the fridge.

Hahahaha now that woulda been a sight to see

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
Was pretty sad seeing in my email that the newsletter was finishing.

People like the Mad Butcher are what keep the Rugby League world spinning.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012

Story reminded me of a Mortician I knew. He used to keep a Massive Flagon in his 'fridge' filled with Red Wine, there was a label on it that read 'Vampire Juice' .

The same Mortician would initiate new workers in that hospital by Locking them in with the bodies.

One time this guy who was a Billie T James look alike, got locked in the Fridge.

George started to worry when he didn't hear any screaming to be let out.

When he opened the door....'Billy' was lying on one of the trolleys pissed as a fart, he had emptied the Vampire Juice and couldn't do much else.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
The Man!

Reactions: Sup42

PNG Kiwi

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 11, 2016
My Dad raced greyhounds and quite often we would run into Sir Peter at the races, always good for a laugh.

As Dad was a real league fan he enjoyed the banter.

Yes Sir Peter was larger than life and more of character and I don't think PC but a heart of gold.

• Haha
Reactions: Swanley and Sup42

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Grays Ave.

I remember always going in there when I was younger. Was the cheapest place to get meat. He would always say hi and be friendly. Every now and then he'd be talking to one of his staff and letting the obscenities fly lol. He didn't give a shit. Worst time was when I saw him blowing up one of his workers. It was like he was going to bash the shit out of him...
I lived around the corner in Rosella Rd. Played for the Hawks. Peter was our first club sponsor.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Yes Sir Peter was larger than life and more of character and I don't think PC but a heart of gold.
Dudes not dead lol. He's still larger than life.

Warriors number 1 fan until a real fan buys the whole place. I remember him being asked if he wanted to buy the place before Watson. He knew well enough not to...

Bushman

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2016
What's the go with the butcher?
All the best pete, speedy recovery mate.
Ok I'm reply to my own question, I should check the main page more often.

:rolleyes:

Upcoming Match

Gold Coast Titans Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings