General The History or Rugby League

Jr Warlord_old

Not entirely factual. Bryan Williams had to be declared as a honorary white to be allowed into the country and to play rugby. If anything it is a slap in the face that the NZRU took players like Williams on tour knowing that the SA government had had to make them honorary whites. If the NZRU had any sort of honor about it it would told the SA government and SARU to jump in the lake for insisting that all All Black players meet there racial purity levels.
Also, i would have thought that as a union fan you'd have said that Danie Gerber was the greatest ever South African union player.
danie gerber is not bad but craven is legend just any like any all black would never past colin meads as the greatest ever. so the fact that the all blacks toured is racists then??

Northern_Union

danie gerber is not bad but craven is legend just any like any all black would never past colin meads as the greatest ever. so the fact that the all blacks toured is racists then??

Yep the All Black sides that toured condoned racism. They had to have special passport previsions for the players that weren't white.
The Cavalier side that toured was not only condoning racism but condoning it for the greed of money.

playdaball_old

What about NZ players who choose to play against touring South African sides - should they be seen as supporting racist views?

Jr Warlord_old

Yep the All Black sides that toured condoned racism. They had to have special passport previsions for the players that weren't white.
The Cavalier side that toured was not only condoning racism but condoning it for the greed of money.
so the rugby league side that tour south africa in the 60's are not in any way the same. i mean they toured a country that had racist policies and why wasn't anyone from reugby league international federation stopped them?

PB_old

so the rugby league side that tour south africa in the 60's are not in any way the same. i mean they toured a country that had racist policies and why wasn't anyone from reugby league international federation stopped them?

What side, and when? Specifics, Jr.

South Africa only lasted about 7 years at international level. A handful of matches against countries, and some against club sides.

I don't consider playing a South African team at home or away as supporting racism unless bending to SA's selectorial whim. The special categorisation could count as bending, but the locals knew full well players like Williams weren't white - honorary or not - and were thrilled to watch him carve up.

When you you have non-whites showing up whites it erodes their position. Seeing an 18 year old with dark skin run rings around white guys would have given hope. It can work the other way, of course, if you lose. Especially 3-4 at Carlaw Park in 1963 after the Aussies had thumped your opponent. But that's the risk. Even in an unofficial match.

If the 1963 NZ team - or the mystery touring squad you refer to - had varying ethnicities in the team then they wouldn't be supporting racism in my eyes.

But nice change of tack in the argument. The 'look over there' approach is a popular one. Doesn't actually address the point, but then it's not meant to, is it?

RL: 'You dropped a nuclear bomb killing 100,000 or so people!'

RU: 'Yeah? Well you ran over a cyclist.'

That's a slight perversion of the dick measuring contest going on. But, to borrow from Ryan, you're measuring your dick in a rugby league bar. It may be bigger, but the judges are either pro-league, or anti-union.

Welcome back to the bar. Please enjoy your stay, and do stay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

Nice to se you, pb. You've been missed.

LordGnome_old

You have failed to read the posts - AGAIN.

We were talking about South African rugby being intrinsicly racist decades before the segragation laws were passed by the government there.

It is hard to have a debate with someone who keeps changing the argument to suit himself.

PB_old

Regards to the wife and whanau.

At the risk of turning this topic into something more productive...what are you up to these days?

Brewing a coffee at the moment. I'd offer you one, but by the time a courier got it down there it would be cold. So when I say I make good coffee you wouldn't believe me.

And then I'd get upset and start text speaking at you. Being all in your grill with, 'wht u thnk u doin, spstk? will pwn ur ass'. And you'll be calm and restrained, which will just upset me more and I'll be like 'I'll sik lud nome on u bro. He'll gt u RWC tkts'. And you'll be like, 'Oh, no! Not rugby', and text block me.

Trust me. It'll all go downhill. So no coffee for you.

Is the half of you that wasn't better, better?

Jesbass_old

Brewing a coffee at the moment. I'd offer you one, but by the time a courier got it down there it would be cold. So when I say I make good coffee you wouldn't believe me.

And then I'd get upset and start text speaking at you. Being all in your grill with, 'wht u thnk u doin, spstk? will pwn ur ass'. And you'll be calm and restrained, which will just upset me more and I'll be like 'I'll sik lud nome on u bro. He'll gt u RWC tkts'. And you'll be like, 'Oh, no! Not rugby', and text block me.

Trust me. It'll all go downhill. So no coffee for you.

Is the half of you that wasn't better, better?

That sounds about right, lol.

All halves, (and quarters), are doing very well, good sir. The clan's youngest member turned 6 months on Sunday and is a real joy. Such a pity that she has to grow up! :D

PB_old

All halves, (and quarters), are doing very well, good sir. The clan's youngest member turned 6 months on Sunday and is a real joy. Such a pity that she has to grow up! :D

Good O.

Apart from coffee I'm just being a dad/husband, and being there for a family member with medical fun going on. Past that I see lots of options, but no drive to chase one of them unless it feels right. You know, the realisation that I don't have to do something for the sake of doing it all the time? So I'm feeling pretty bloody awesome and working on personal projects one at a time.

Isn't positivity a bitch?

Jesbass_old

Good O.

Apart from coffee I'm just being a dad/husband, and being there for a family member with medical fun going on. Past that I see lots of options, but no drive to chase one of them unless it feels right. You know, the realisation that I don't have to do something for the sake of doing it all the time? So I'm feeling pretty bloody awesome and working on personal projects one at a time.

Isn't positivity a bitch?

Lol...you know what i think of positivity... ;)

I envy you in that sense. I'd cut off your left nut to be able to work on the home business and watch Caitlin grow up before my eyes.

One day...just not yet.

PB_old

I'd cut off your left nut to be able to work on the home business and watch Caitlin grow up before my eyes.

It hangs a little lower than the other one. Maybe just an adjustment and still respect me in the morning.

Jr Warlord_old

congrats jesbass. the best years is still to come.

LordGnome_old

You have failed to read the posts - AGAIN.

We were talking about South African rugby being intrinsicly racist decades before the segragation laws were passed by the government there.

It is hard to have a debate with someone who keeps changing the argument to suit himself.

Do we take it that you now concede that South African rugby was indemically racist from its origins and is still now struggling to overcome its legacy?

Jr Warlord_old

Do we take it that you now concede that South African rugby was indemically racist from its origins and is still now struggling to overcome its legacy?
no mate. but i don't think your opinion count much as we all know its one way traffic.

Jesbass_old

It hangs a little lower than the other one. Maybe just an adjustment and still respect me in the morning.

After your birthday party when you convinced me that mixing a bed, a goat, and gallon of whipped cream would be "a great idea with no regrets", respect for you is something I find difficult to give.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings