General The future of Mt Smart??

Reaction score

Buck777

The subjects been smashed by many discussions, but in this mornings herald the ARC have reneged on any upgrade meaning that Mt Smart holds a 19K seated capacity and 5K standing, meaning the NRL are saying its not up to finals standard.
I'm starting to seriously think the Warriors have to move, just to remain competitive as a franchise.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

It also said te club is not interested in Matai... hmmm

Reaction score
PolarBob

PolarBob

Reaction score
Link and story.

It's purely hypothetical at the moment, however if the Warriors earn a home NRL final it appears the match will be played at Eden Park.
Given rugby stronghold's unbroken run as a graveyard for New Zealand league teams - be it the Kiwis or Warriors - that news is likely to raise the hackles of some Warriors fans.
Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah insisted no discussions about the likely venue for finals matches had taken place, however he conceded the club did have concerns about seating capacity at Mt Smart Stadium that had been lowered to 19,000.
The club's traditional home has seated around 27,000 for previous finals matches thanks to temporary seating. However, Regional Facilities Auckland - the body that runs the region's stadiums - has informed the Warriors it will not meet the costs of erecting temporary seating in the future.
That ruling effectively limits Mt Smart's capacity to 19,000 seats plus room for around another 5000 spectators to either stand or sit on grass at the northern end. With this year's season-opener against Manly attracting a crowd of over 37,000 to Eden Park, the restricted capacity at Mt Smart is likely to be viewed as insufficient by both the Warriors and the NRL.
Both parties would stand to make significantly more money from finals matches at Eden Park. Although the NRL pockets all ticket sales revenue from finals, the Warriors would benefit from increased commercial opportunities around corporate hosting, merchandising and catering.
"We haven't even considered it," Scurrah said of the likely switch. "We are not even in the top eight at the moment so we are focusing on winning games, not where we play finals."
Scurrah did, however, accept that the limited capacity at Mt Smart Stadium made it a marginal proposition for finals matches.

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
PB beats me to it, I was going to insert the link/article into the OP.

It's a no brainer really, if the ARC won't come to the party then there's no other option other than to move finals games to Eden Park (if they eventuate). I imagine while the current capacity is still adequate for the regular season then all regular season games will continue to be held at Mt Smart.

Guys just a reminder if creating threads and/or quoting news items then add a link +/- copy and paste the article.

Reaction score
Warrioz

Warrioz

Waterboy
Reaction score
Nail's already been hit on the head.
Just imagining a packed out Eden Park for a finals match.

Reaction score
Viking

Viking

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It also said te club is not interested in Matai... hmmm
Matai isn't interested in comiing back, just bought a house on the outskirts of Manly recently so won't be leaving Sydney. Other clubs are interested in him if he's squeezed out of Manly.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

Matai isn't interested in comiing back, just bought a house on the outskirts of Manly recently so won't be leaving Sydney. Other clubs are interested in him if he's squeezed out of Manly.
once again the curse of the Warriors.
Man it's hard to get good players here...

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced by Matai. He tends to get injured and suspended. I'd like to see an Aussie centre (dont ask me who)

Reaction score
mrblonde

mrblonde

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Not sure how to take the article. All it's saying for certain is:
A: There could be temporary seating installed at Mt Smart Stadium if a finals game was being played there.
B: That temporary seating will not be funded by Regional Facilities Auckland.

So I assume all the temporary seating for concerts etc ie U2 which Mt Smart make a big thing of - couple of huge posters of the 360 concert at the stadium - is on the respective concert promoters?

Hmmm...Mr Glenn??

Why wouldn't the Warriors owners be keen to shell out for temporary seating? Surely they can see that Mt Smart is a better ground for league than Eden - not just in terms of results, but closeness to the ground etc. And then there's the Blues curse.

I'd rather be at a packed Mt Smart than Eden.

Reaction score
Gee

Gee

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Apparentley the temporary seating that was used in the past at concerts has been taken to Christchurch for the Stadium down there. There is temporary seating that was used for the Hamilton V8s but I heard some one say at the game yesterday by the time it was transported to Mount Smart and erected it would cost around $1000 per seat.

Reaction score

Buck777

If you were Owen Glenn you'd want to spend money on something's thats going to be a asset moving forward and not good money after bad. Because Mt Smart is going to need some big bucks to upgrade. I'd say Eden Park are chasing the Warriors big time. The govt wants payback, I don't know but with the blues probably not bringing in great ticket sales, the Warriors crowd would be a Godsend.

Reaction score
a.c.e

a.c.e

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I wasnt impressed when it was turned into a stadium. This was the place surrounding schools and national track and field events were held. Its were the great Sir John Walker trained on! Now that the Warriors might be going, I has a sad.

Reaction score
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
The Blues crowds are currently appalling - hardly surprising given their form.

I would say we stick at Mount smart for regular season games and just move really big games - and finals games - to Eden Park.

Reaction score

Buck777

The Blues crowds are currently appalling - hardly surprising given their form.
Off topic but can't be bothered with a new thread, even as a one eyed leaguee who doesn't give a hoot about suoer15, I thought that the sat morning herald sport section was appalling. Half a page photo of a dejected blues player walking by himself at Eden park, with massive bold headlines lam must go, that's ugly. Most won't read the article but I thought that's below the belt. I guess the parramatta herald will have the same line on kearney, but give the guy some dignity.

Reaction score
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I heard that there were less than 11,000 at Eden Park for thier last game?

Reaction score

Buck777

I heard that there were less than 11,000 at Eden Park for thier last game?
That wouldn't surprise me. A workmate who used to play for Auckland and is still involved said to me yesterday Lam isn't the problem, the players are just lazy. He reckoned Auckland rugby hadn't recovered since Henry left

Reaction score
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
With a little under 20,000 at the Warriors on Saturday night the solution is simple - swap grounds!

Reaction score
Shaneo

Shaneo

U20's Player
Reaction score
https://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10792802

I wonder if the cut to the money allocated to Mt smart is a direct relation to a possible increase in spending on North Harbour Stadium as mentioned in the above article. I'd love to see a roofed stadium in the Auckland region but I'd hate for it to be at the expense of a much needed Mt smart upgrade.

On another hand, what sort of numbers could be expected if the warriors were to make a move to Albany especially if the stadium there was to get a roof?

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
https://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10792802

I wonder if the cut to the money allocated to Mt smart is a direct relation to a possible increase in spending on North Harbour Stadium as mentioned in the above article. I'd love to see a roofed stadium in the Auckland region but I'd hate for it to be at the expense of a much needed Mt smart upgrade.

On another hand, what sort of numbers could be expected if the warriors were to make a move to Albany especially if the stadium there was to get a roof?
been awhile since i seen discussion on venues but wasnt the upshot of the issue in the last big discussion that now the councils are all one that eden park and north harbour are equally viable due to bein owned by the same council and that there was an expectation that they would be closing stadiums for big events to main line their favorites?

Reaction score
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Yes, the ARC no longer exists - nor does NSCC - so the AC must own both stadiums?

Who owns Eden Park?

Top Bottom