General The Eden Park Debate Rises Again

Reaction score
Gee

Gee

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
slide.jpg

Source : RadioSport

Council cost-cutting could result in the Warriors shifting to Eden Park and speedway going to Mt Smart Stadium.

Regional Facilities Auckland is proposing moving speedway from Western Springs instead of upgrading the Warriors' home ground.

The Warriors would then move to Eden Park, to make better use of the city's biggest stadium.
Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah says he only found out about the plan through the grapevine.
Scurrah says he needs more details and many factors need considering.

"What are they proposing, because we don't just play our games here at Mt Smart, but we're based here as well and in many ways the amount of time we spend training and preparing for matches are more important than the 12 we play in Auckland."
He's uncertain about the viability.

"We need to know a little bit more. We've lived all of our lives at Mt Smart Stadium, since 1995, and we still remain committed to Mt Smart Stadium, so I guess we need to understand from the city what is the master plan of the stadium."

The speedway contract with Western Springs ends in 2014, but the Warriors have six years on their tenancy of Mt Smart.

Reaction score
David James

David James

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
I don't really like the idea of the boys playing at Eden Park on a consistent basis. It's the wrong shape and too big!

Reaction score
Gee

Gee

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Sounds like a late April fools wind up to me, but then again Local councils have been known to come up with some strange ideas.

Reaction score
David James

David James

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
plus its cursed....
Haha there is that too...

Local councils have been known to come up with some strange ideas.
Especially this lot. Pedestrianise the main arteries through town without other solutions, add a tram through a relatively quiet area of the viaduct, my wife was saying another thing they plan that shocked me the other day, but I can't place it now.

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I just don't like Eden Park, souless, a hassle to get to and from and it's a f*ckin cricket ground so your too far away. That Vodafone Red Zone or what ever it was called at the Four Nations made it bearable but I doubt that would be there for any regular games, plus to top it off if you have partaken in any adult beverages and need a leak when your leaving you either get stuck in a queue trying to get on a train or stuck on a train going no where. Everything about it sucks, unless Danpatmac can tell us where his fence is for a convienence stop.

Reaction score

Buck777

I think it's over at Mt Smart. I have good memories there, but if it keeps going downhill its going to become an absolute dog. I was sitting in my car after the broncos match in some dark factory loading bay( which I paid $10 for!) having to avoid the urine streams from the walls leading to the car, waited for 25 minutes for any sign of movement, before finally escaping Penrose. During that time, still basking in the euphoria of a Warrors win, I decided it wouldn't worry me if they moved.
Just me though. I can understand if you hold ericsson close to your heart lol

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I would assume the only chance to keep Mt Smart would be for Owen Glenn to buy it outright. Otherwise Auckland might just have to suck it up and use Eden Park. Eden Park was always going to be an uderutilised, overpriced option for the RWC, and now they need to recover some of the running costs. The council need to drive other events into Eden Park just to break even. Even with the tax-payer footing a large part of the original upgrade bill.

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I would assume the only chance to keep Mt Smart would be for Owen Glenn to buy it outright. Otherwise Auckland might just have to suck it up and use Eden Park. Eden Park was always going to be an uderutilised, overpriced option for the RWC, and now they need to recover some of the running costs. The council need to drive other events into Eden Park just to break even. Even with the tax-payer footing a large part of the original upgrade bill.
The truly frustrating thing about Eden Park was everyone knew it was going to be a white elephant but the rugby old boys still managed to push it through so they could get their names on a plaque and somewhere to drink their G & Ts.

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
Cricket pitches make lousy RL pitches. I lived 1 road away from Eden Park for years and although i loved the area i hated the park. Any time there si a game on there is no parking, terrible access roads, a single lane train track (or did they fix that at last) that doesnt go to the ground, busses have to use the same congested roads as everyone else. I and many who lived close petitioned strongly to have the waterfront venue built as a much better option for ease of use. However i did like gougin the public for car parking on my front lawn. Oh i also petitioned to have the then primeminister removed as well, and failed on that one to, Bitch.

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Contributor
Reaction score
found this in an old eden park residents association web site

"Who owns each stadium?

Eden Park Trust Board manages the stadium for cricket and rugby. The board is willing to enter an agreement with the Government and funding partners for future governance and management to reflect changes in equity that will be held in the park.

North Harbour Stadium is run by a board of trustees but the landlord is North Shore City Council.

The trust has agreed to work with the Government on an appropriate ownership, governance and operating structure for a national stadium to reflect the State's financial interest and asset ownership."

https://www.edenparkresidents.org.nz/newsdisplay.asp?id=132

now this is old, so it may have been updated at some point, but sounds like the trust are still the controlling influence for the ground and therefore are more about promoting the ground than promoting the sport on it. ie Rugby will always take centre stage, followed by cricket, followed by everything else

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
found this in an old eden park residents association web site

"Who owns each stadium?

Eden Park Trust Board manages the stadium for cricket and rugby. The board is willing to enter an agreement with the Government and funding partners for future governance and management to reflect changes in equity that will be held in the park.

North Harbour Stadium is run by a board of trustees but the landlord is North Shore City Council.

The trust has agreed to work with the Government on an appropriate ownership, governance and operating structure for a national stadium to reflect the State's financial interest and asset ownership."

https://www.edenparkresidents.org.nz/newsdisplay.asp?id=132

now this is old, so it may have been updated at some point, but sounds like the trust are still the controlling influence for the ground and therefore are more about promoting the ground than promoting the sport on it. ie Rugby will always take centre stage, followed by cricket, followed by everything else
That is natural, of course. Its a cricket ground that has had massive dollars injected to make it the pride of the nation for a one off rugby tournament. Anyone who would expect any different priorities is kidding themselves about the importance of rugby league to the vast majority of this countries sports fans.

Reaction score

Buck777

The word 'debate' is misleading. I think the debate is over. The council won't pay, it's time to go. I get the impression that it just happened a bit quicker than Scurrah thought.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
The word 'debate' is misleading. I think the debate is over. The council won't pay, it's time to go. I get the impression that it just happened a bit quicker than Scurrah thought.
Remember Scurrah has a reputation for being a liar. He has been caught out countless times where he denies something only for the story to come out that he knew. Think Ivan leaving for the Panthers. Think Inu being offered for sale during Grand Final Breakfast.

You can't trust anything he says. I think the writing was on the wall when they announced the first Eden Park game.

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

Warriors 5th Grader
Reaction score
Remember Scurrah has a reputation for being a liar. He has been caught out countless times where he denies something only for the story to come out that he knew. Think Ivan leaving for the Panthers. Think Inu being offered for sale during Grand Final Breakfast.

You can't trust anything he says. I think the writing was on the wall when they announced the first Eden Park game.
At what point did innuendo become fact for you mate?

A waterfront stadium would be amazing. We need to have a stadium that has good public transport links.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
At what point did innuendo become fact for you mate?

A waterfront stadium would be amazing. We need to have a stadium that has good public transport links.
Which part do you mean is innuendo?

The Inu story was broken by someone who was sitting at the same table as Scurrah and heard him talking about releasing Inu to another club, and backed up by another person who heard it themselves, apparently (though I can't give you a source, but remember it in the media).

Ivan going to Penrith broke within weeks of Scurrah outright denying any such rumour. If he knew nothing about it, perhaps he needs to get more involved.

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Contributor
Reaction score
That is natural, of course. Its a cricket ground that has had massive dollars injected to make it the pride of the nation for a one off rugby tournament. Anyone who would expect any different priorities is kidding themselves about the importance of rugby league to the vast majority of this countries sports fans.
ok fair call - most people care more for other sports, but why should we as customers or the team as players, accept being lobbed into a situation where we dont even rate as second best. ATM we have access to a fine stadium and we have priority there, the team trains there and claims that location as home. Give that up and we become like the sydney teams that play at sydney stadium with crowds round the 15-22k who look lost in the stands, supporters pushed deep into the corners even further away from the action. Oh and i would expect seat prices to rise as i assume that tickets to Eden park still cost more than mt smart?

Honestly if they take the stadium away from the warriors IMO it would make more sense to look at NSH stadium than eden park, and i always hated the fact that nsh stadium was so far from the centre of town.

Reaction score
Dankokoro 2.0

Dankokoro 2.0

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
god, please don't let us move to Eden Park..

Why can't we just build a stadium like the one they have in Dunedin? WHY? Why can't we just DO shit like that. Tax me an extra $5 a week i don't give a shit. Just build a proper stadium that seats 25-30k for the warriors and the blues, one that can create a proper atmosphere suiteable to the sports that will be played in it.

I 'm quite worried that a permanent move to Eden Park could really damage the chances of this club ever winning a premiership, and I wish the thing would just sink in to a hole in the ground.. Then we could start discussing proper alternatives..

Reaction score

Buck777

I think some are short changing themselves. In the horror years of 2004 & 2009 the 'faithful' Warriors crowd was 5K on a good day. You could almost drive right up to the stadium gates and have a picnic in the spare seats around you. Those days are gone thank goodness. The traditional league crowd has changed. The broncos game got 19k ( which will be seated capacity next year) on the back of a loss and key players still out injured. It's easy to see that when the Warriors get better they'll attract 25K as a base. We've outgrown Mt Smart. Everyone knows it, just that no one wanted to give the eviction notice. Warriors crowds would already double the Blues crowd. Why can't we be like the broncos and aim for crowd numbers what we got for Manly?

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Bucks right i recon, as he has said before ultimately all Warriors core fans will go to watch them any where in Auckland. I've never liked Mt Smart over Carlaw park as a ground to Watch League at but the Buzz is still the same when the team wins a big game where ever you go. Mt Smarties will adjust to Eden Park.

Eden Park has attracted larger crowds even with no league wins there you get respectable numbers. Ultimately when we are a winning team at Eden Park the Numbers will continue to build, A home semi final at Mt Smart is dumb , surfing trade me because you missed out on tickets is good for the hype but not good for bussiness.

In a perfect world we get A water front stadium out if this....the NRL would be pretty happy about that.

League interest is growing here, not all warriors fans , plenty of local fans of other NRL clubs , more bums on seats for Warriors games.

Top Bottom