Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Move to another province

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
A few thread on this but with a new CEO who is taking a stauncher approach its time for a new thread.

I love the stance taken by Jim Doyle who isnt mincing his words...

Warriors to fight Mt Smart move
5:00 AM Sunday Mar 8, 2015
SCCZEN_A_0210NZHBPGRANDFINAL59_620x310.jpg

The Warriors are determined they won't be forced out of their Mount Smart home. Photo / Brett Phibbs

The Warriors are demanding the Auckland Council review their proposed stadium strategy, determined they won't be forced out of their Mt Smart home.

As the deadline for submissions on the council's 10-year budget draws closer (March 16), the NRL club are rallying support behind their bid to stay in Penrose.

CEO Jim Doyle asserts that the proposal to shift to Eden Park or North Harbour Stadium is untenable and is disappointed by the council's unwillingness to negotiate.

"They have given us no choice but to fight it and we certainly are going to do that," Doyle told the Herald on Sunday.

"We are the biggest sporting franchise in Auckland and aren't going to be forced out of our home to suit what seems like someone's agenda."

Doyle says he asked the council last year to leave the stadium investment strategy out of the 10-year budget, to allow more discussions to take place.

"We wanted to get all of the stakeholders around the table and look at all the options," said Doyle.

"It's time to think about what have we got and what can we do. At the moment it just seems like a convenient reshuffle. They have made the decision but how have they made the decision?

"Where is the business case that says Western Springs is the best and only home for cricket and that Mt Smart is the ideal venue for speedway? They don't seem to have one but by putting it in the plan have given us no choice but to object to it."

The RFA strategy centres on a significant upgrade of QBE Stadium, which would become the home of the Warriors, with finals matches and "marquee games" being staged at Eden Park. Test and domestic cricket would shift to Western Springs with speedway relocating to Mt Smart.

"This is not just about the Warriors - whatever is decided has big consequences for Auckland as a city," said Doyle.

"Do we want to have the best decision, that creates the best future, or do we want yet another mistake? The city deserves better."

RFA spokesman Paul Nisbet says the situation is unequivocal.

"The RFA board have reviewed the stadium strategy and it is pretty much set," he said.

"There was an extended consultation process for more than two years and the Warriors were a big part of that. There are no plans for any changes to it."

Nisbet added that the strategy makes "good sense" and has the support of New Zealand Cricket and Speedway.

"The Warriors have a licence to be at Mt Smart until 2018 and we have made that clear to both the NRL and the club," said Nisbet. "Post-2018 they will need to be somewhere else and there is nothing new there."

The Warriors also continue to seek compensation over the staging of the Eagles concert this weekend, which they allege was a breach of contract and stymied plans for an opening home game blockbuster against the Broncos.

"They have deliberately breached their contract and we are still working through that issue with the council," said Doyle.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11413705

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
ImageProxy.mvc

ImageProxy.mvc

CLUB INITIATIVE
358c8f1a-d842-4c8f-9304-26db32da6403.jpg

Have your say about Mount Smart

We urge you to make a submissions to the Auckland Council about Mount Smart Stadium’s future as the club’s home.

The council has been running a public consultation process on its 10-year budget for the past six weeks which closes at 4.00pm on Monday, March 16.

The Vodafone Warriors have made a submission - see below link - relating to the budget item: “Investing in QBE (North Harbour), Western Springs and Mount Smart Stadiums to support the Auckland Stadium Strategy”. The submission specifically supports Mount Smart Stadium’s future as the Vodafone Warriors’ home.

“With time running out, we’d urge our members and fans in Auckland to join us and have their say about Mount Smart Stadium,” said Vodafone Warriors managing director Jim Doyle.

“For us Mount Smart is our rightful home and we want to do all we can to keep it that way.”

Read the Vodafone Warriors' submission and use one of these feedback options to register your views:

Written feedback | Online at Shape Auckland or fill out the form provided and send to the freepost address supplied on the site or scan and email to longtermplan@aucklandcouncil.govt.nz

Hardcopy feedback forms are also available in council service centres, local board offices and libraries.

Social media | Comments made through the following channels will be considered written feedback:
Twitter: @aklcouncil using #LTP2015
Facebook: www.facebook.com/aklcouncil using #LTP2015
By commenting on any blog at www.shapeauckland.co.nz/longtermplan

Submission1.png
Submission2.png

Freddie Futler

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 10, 2013
Tauranga
Mt Smart is a great venue and have enjoyed many Warriors games there including one season opening game against the Sharks in a corporate box. The best news is that Doyle knows his shit and won't bend over for the council to give it to him. His appointment has made a huge difference to League which normally had wannabes or administrators who were well out of their depth when it came to negotiations with smart alec Lawyers. I for one would like to see us remain at Mt Smart and will give you all an update on how the park looks after I have been to the Eagles Concert.

Reactions: mt.wellington

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
The Warriors are tenants, if they love the place so much buy it, if you cant buy then you have to go if your landlord tells you to go.

I dont understand how they can kick up such a stink over something that isn't theirs.

Reactions: Fantail23 and smc

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
The Warriors are tenants, if they love the place so much buy it, if you cant buy then you have to go if your landlord tells you to go.

I dont understand how they can kick up such a stink over something that isn't theirs.
We're also rate payers, so technically we are part owners of Mt Smart, just like everybody else in Auckland. And we are also part owners of everything else the council has control over. So we want our share of benefits just like everyone else... Specifically we want to stay at the Mount...

Reactions: OMG

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
We're also rate payers, so technically we are part owners of Mt Smart, just like everybody else in Auckland. And we are also part owners of everything else the council has control over. So we want our share of benefits just like everyone else... Specifically we want to stay at the Mount...

Being a ratepayer doesn't entitle you to want you want, same as it doesn't entitle the speedway to what it wants or Auckland cricket for that matter...there are decisions that have to be made by the people in charge of managing Aucklands assets, and like most decisions someone wont like it.

Like i said earlier, if the Warriors like it so much...buy it.

Reactions: koolkat

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Being a ratepayer doesn't entitle you to want you want, same as it doesn't entitle the speedway to what it wants or Auckland cricket for that matter...there are decisions that have to be made by the people in charge of managing Aucklands assets, and like most decisions someone wont like it.

If the speedway want it then they can buy it. Or if Cricket want western springs then they can buy that too. Everyone who want's anything from the council should stump up the cash cause they aint getting it unless they can pay for it....

Cough.......... except when they have their man elected to office........ cough....

And then it's all free...

Reactions: OMG

Leedslion007

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2013
Brisbane

I hate your post because you are right... I relucatantly agree...

I think it's a little more complex but the facts are there, we rent the space and that's that.
I just hope they can find a resolution to make Mt Smart our home for the long term.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
I hate your post because you are right... I relucatantly agree...

I think it's a little more complex but the facts are there, we rent the space and that's that.
I just hope they can find a resolution to make Mt Smart our home for the long term.
this is wrong - theres a thing called a contract and the council are ignoring theirs with the warriors. They are not doing basic maintenance they kicked the legal tenants out of the park when they had no rights to. They recently built an entire stand just for them. This is all about getting money for eden park.

Tenents have rights and the warriors have been ignored.

Diesel

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
Brisbane
Should a Council own a stadium? In Queensland the State Government owns the major stadiums, the Council owns parks and a few smaller footy grounds for junior sports. In NSW a trust owns the SFS and ANZ Stadium is privately owned. Etihad in Melbourne will be owned by the AFL shortly and the new 60k stadium in WA will be owned by the State Govt.
NZ (thankfully) doesn't have state governments but the equalivant would be in NZ Government and that is who the Warriors should be talking to if the ARC doesn't come to the party.
Major stadiums shouldn't be the responsibility of Council, they have more than enough to deal with

Last edited:

koolkat

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Nelson
A Purposed built stadium just like Melbourne can't buy players, build a new stadium they will come all purposed training facility's heat chamber.everything.im sorry but it's time to pack up the posts and go I know I'll be in minority in this but this maybe a good thing time for a move and change.look at AMI stadium in Chch it took a year to build put its a great place too watch rugby both codes

Last edited:

gREVUS

Contributor
May 8, 2012
Should a Council own a stadium? In Queensland the State Government owns the major stadiums, the Council owns parks and a few smaller footy grounds for junior sports. In NSW a trust owns the SFS and ANZ Stadium is privately owned. Etihad in Melbourne will be owned by the AFL shortly and the new 60k stadium in WA will be owned by the State Govt.
NZ (thankfully) doesn't have state governments but the equalivant would be in NZ Government and that is who the Warriors should be talking to if the ARC dhoesn't come to the party.
Major stadiums shouldn't be the responsibility of Council, they have more than enough to deal with

well eden park is privately owned by Auckland cricket and Auckland Rugby. And held in trust. The council has no part of it.

Diesel

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
Brisbane
well eden park is privately owned by Auckland cricket and Auckland Rugby. And held in trust. The council has no part of it.
Yeah I understand that but what I don't is why is the Council reactively pushing QBE while wanting the Warriors as a tenant at EP? Did the Council gift the EP Trust with a large sum of ratepayers money?

Reactions: jonno

kavafred

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 26, 2013

It would be easier to take if our council had a clue what they were doing!! Our Auckland council are so useless. They have meetings to schedule their next meetings to talk about their future meetings all at the rate payers expense. Not sure I agree with your "they are in charge so just accept what they say" attitude. I like the example of the old tree huggers from Titirangi where a lot of opposition can make a difference.

Reactions: mt.wellington

gREVUS

Contributor
May 8, 2012
Yeah I understand that but what I don't is why is the Council reactively pushing QBE while wanting the Warriors as a tenant at EP? Did the Council gift the EP Trust with a large sum of ratepayers money?

they gifted and lent Eden park a huge amount of money and are honestly afraid that they wont get paid back for years, in the last thread the numbers were discussed and eden park can only just pay the interest on current standings, plus no one wants to use it .

The council really dont think that the warriors will move an hour north away from their biggest fan base and if they owned a park further north then they would be pushing them there to make eden park look even better.

However it looks like it will go to court so dont expect anything to change for ages now. I imagine that the first thing that Doyle will do is slap the council with a cease work order on Mt Smart stopping them from making the changes that speedway requires. Again as tenant they have rights on how the area is utilised and the council is attempting to ignore these.

At the end of the day they seem happy to spend millions for Auckland cricket and its 12 fans so why do they get preferential treatment?

K1W1 WARR1OR

Warriors Bench Player
Jan 25, 2015
To much money got put into Eden park to bring the rugby World Cup to New Zealand and are looking for ways to pay it off Mount smart is the home of the warriors and they shouldn't have to go else where QBE stadium isnt the flashiest stadium either council should front up and help the warriors out for a change instead of trying to force them to go to rugby grounds

Upcoming Match

Gold Coast Titans Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings