TeamList Warriors vs Knights [Round 4, 2024]

Status
Not open for further replies.
With this in mind, would you start Lussick so that Egan can ease into the game off the bench once their forwards tire a little? The downside being that you would have less time with Egan and AFB on the field at the same time, although AFB and Lussick have seemed to work ok together thus far.
Gee it is an interesting question and I would not profess to be an expert on these micro decisions you identify there.

Thinking out loud here, rather than proclaiming any confidence about the best way to proceed.

Sports teams have rhythms, and as you rightly point out, using Egan off the bench disrupts his partnership with AFB.

As such, despite the temptation to use him off the bench for a gentler intro....mentally it is probably better to use him per script as an opener and thereby play him in a familiar setting, so he has the feel of the game within a team pattern that he knows, he knows the timing of the runners, their likes, and all that, and Webster is big on finding combinations and wot not that best suit each players natural strengths.

So yeah I would start him, tell him that he can play up to his usual spell if he feels okay, but since neither he nor the coaches know about his fitness, that he takes an early tap out if he is feeling it, thereby lightening his load within a conventional and familiar stint within the overall team game plan.

Sports are weird, as we have seen, when you put the wrong guy to start, and the wrong guy on the bench, their performance drops, that has to be the mental dimension, the psychology of players, and so yeah I would go with routine but use less time on field as the way to soften a regular incumbents return time in a familiar role.

Also there is the clunkiness we are seeing, which we see every season in the opening rounds, and since the hooker is the timing mechanism of a team, starting Egan to smooth out the ruffles and settle us into the fight makes a lot of sense.

If we change Egans role via the bench it impacts on other players, and holds us back from honing this side into the weapon that most of us believe it is. Most of us think the sooner this side clicks the easier our games will be.
I personally think when our left edge attack works out their strengths that we will shred a lot of sides apart and therefore make the games less grinding and intense, since the opposition will be forced into playing risky catchup against us.

It has not been talked about much around here, but Shaun Johnson's kicking so far has been incredible and we really should have thrashed the likes of the Sharks and even the Storm off his accuracy with in goal kicks. But the missing element is the cohesion.

Hope that makes sense, in the bigger picture there is probably no wrong or right way to go with Egan who is in the top two hookers in the competition imo.

Last edited:
Gee it is an interesting question and I would not profess to be an expert on these micro decisions you identify there.

Thinking out loud here, rather than proclaiming any confidence about the best way to proceed.

Sports teams have rhythms, and as you rightly point out, using Egan off the bench disrupts his partnership with AFB.

As such, despite the temptation to use him off the bench for a gentler intro....mentally it is probably better to use him per script as an opener and thereby play him in a familiar setting, so he has the feel of the game within a team pattern that he knows, he knows the timing of the runners, their likes, and all that, and Webster is big on finding combinations and wot not that best suit each players natural strengths.

So yeah I would start him, tell him that he can play up to his usual spell if he feels okay, but since neither he nor the coaches know about his fitness, that he takes an early tap out if he is feeling it, thereby lightening his load within a conventional and familiar stint within the overall team game plan.

Sports are weird, as we have seen, when you put the wrong guy to start, and the wrong guy on the bench, their performance drops, that has to be the mental dimension, the psychology of players, and so yeah I would go with routine but use less time on field as the way to soften a regular incumbents return time in a familiar role.

Also there is the clunkiness we are seeing, which we see every season in the opening rounds, and since the hooker is the timing mechanism of a team, starting Egan to smooth out the ruffles and settle us into the fight makes a lot of sense.

If we change Egans role via the bench it impacts on other players, and holds us back from honing this side into the weapon that most of us believe it is. Most of us think the sooner this side clicks the easier our games will be.
I personally think when our left edge attack works out their strengths that we will shred a lot of sides apart and therefore make the games less grinding and intense, since the opposition will be forced into playing risky catchup against us.

It has not been talked about much around here, but Shaun Johnson's kicking so far has been incredible and we really should have thrashed the likes of the Sharks and even the Storm off his accuracy with in goal kicks. But the missing element is the cohesion.

Hope that makes sense, in the bigger picture there is probably no wrong or right way to go with Egan who is in the top two hookers in the competition imo.
Very comprehensive answer, thanks for taking the time! But I agree, I think Egan should start and it what I'd expect Egan will do - he has shown that he wants the best 13 guys on the field to start games.

Yeah, cohesion is incredibly important and those spine changes have not helped. I, like many, am also looking forward to that left side clicking! I had thought that Webby might move Ford to the right (as his simple game would suit the right side structure) and play Capewell on the left to support Metcalf and RTS (both on attack and D) - but in Webby we trust. There are good signs there and, just as Webby said about Rog's role at centre, let's see just how good the left side can be after 6-8 weeks together.

Ask around at the Warriors about the ever-present maze of strapping tape that consumes their captain's left knee and you'll probably be met with a wry smile and a throwaway line suggesting it's window dressing.

It's a cheeky inside joke that everyone knows they can get away with, because if there's one thing Tohu Harris has never been it's an attention seeker.

It's only when you dig into the topic with the man himself that you get to the bottom of why, despite his insistence that he's not constantly playing injured, his knee looks like it's being held together by adhesive on a week-to-week basis.

"It's more for my family, so they are less anxious," Harris tells NRL.com.

"I have had a lot of injuries, especially in my knees, and if it eases a bit of anxiety for them, as well as probably somewhere inside my head, it's doing something.

"But the way I see it, it's not going to hurt my performance, so why not?

"It's more psychological."

That revelation will be music to the ears of Warriors fans, who can look forward to a healthy Harris playing on with the club for an eighth season in 2025, after he agreed to an extension last December.

Not surprisingly, family was at the forefront of the decision to remain in Auckland and in all likelihood finish his career as a Warrior too.

"It feels like home, the club feels like family, it does feel like I have been here a really long time," Harris said.

"Our son loves it here, loves his school. Those sorts of things have really helped.

"It's a place we really enjoy being and that's made by the people."

After playing 23 games last year – his most since 2016 when he was still at the Storm – the 32-year-old has made a strong start to this season and heads into Sunday's clash against the Knights sitting inside the NRL's top 20 for both average run metres (174) and average tackles (39).

This week he'll have some more help in the middle of the park, with versatile prop Marata Niukore set to play his first game of the season after recovering from a foot injury and Dylan Walker back on deck after missing Round 3 with an ankle complaint.

That injection of class up front will be crucial against a Newcastle side missing Leo Thompson to suspension, in what will be their first visit to Go Media Stadium since the Warriors ended their season there in week two of the finals last year.

"It's good when you've got cattle coming back...to welcome those guys back is exciting," Warriors coach Andrew Webster said.

"[Marata] will play front row. Just his aggression, the way he carries the ball, hard over the [advantage] line... he gives us a lot of experience.

"I feel like anyone who comes to experience Mount Smart, particularly the way [Newcastle] did last year, they're going to be better for it, and we've got to be better."

"[Marata] will play front row. Just his aggression, the way he carries the ball, hard over the [advantage] line... he gives us a lot of experience.
Well that helps to confirm that Niukore won't play second row outside of injuries. There were some on here who thought he might come back into the second row over Ford. Looking forward to seeing the prop rotation in action - and hopefully Niukore spells Barnett so we can see 5-10 mins of AFB and Niukore on the park together.

Let's see just how good the left side can be after 6-8 weeks together.
It’s been noticeable this round that teams are starting to click.

Despite injuries the Panthers, Broncos, etc, good teams with big expectations, starting to look cohesive after a slow first few weeks.

Hopefully this week we step it up a notch. Defensively we’ve been good but we need both edges to start to sharpen up and nail opportunities in attack.

Warriors v Knights: Andrew Webster on difficult player conversations ahead of Newcastle clash​

Be honest, be sincere, be compassionate.

That’s the approach of Warriors’ coach Andrew Webster in dealing with one of his biggest personal challenges this season: keeping everyone across his NRL squad happy.

The Warriors, who face Newcastle at Mt Smart Stadium on Sunday, have impressive depth this season. In terms of quality and first-grade experience, it’s hard to remember a better all-around roster at the Auckland franchise over the past decade.

Centre Adam Pompey, who played every match in 2023 and was a consistent performer, gets his first chance on Sunday. Jazz Tevaga, who has 120 games for the club since 2016, impressed in Christchurch last week in his first outing of the year but couldn’t make the 17 for this match.

Te Maire Martin has grand final experience, seven tests for the Kiwis and featured in all three playoff matches last year but has been restricted to the NSW Cup so far. Chanel Harris-Tavita would be pushing for a starting halves spot at some other clubs but has been limited to two cameos at dummy half for a total of 20 minutes.

Winger Ed Kosi scored five tries in the first eight matches of 2023 but has only featured once since last May, while young centre Ali Leiataua is still waiting for another opportunity after an outstanding NRL debut in Canberra last June. Prop Tom Ale, who accumulated 19 matches last year, has managed only 38 minutes this year and will miss his second match of the season on Sunday.

The Warriors are a united bunch – who take a collective approach – but every individual is also ambitious and driven.

“I see it as our strength,” Webster told the Herald. “Competition breeds intensity at training, which is a really good thing and depth, when there are injuries, is a great thing. But good players aren’t going to play at some stages and how they handle that is going to be important.

“That’s the truth. There are injuries, there’s lack of form. Sometimes things are easy for you but I hope they all make it really hard for me to pick a team every match.”

But how will Webster deal with the tough conversations, as players with accomplished CVs are consigned to reserve grade, away from the limelight and in front of small crowds?

“I’ll just be myself,” said Webster. “Communicate and being honest is all I can do. I won’t be lying, I won’t be bullshitting, I won’t be telling them what I think they need to hear. I’ll be telling them the truth, communicate well, be myself, be sincere and be compassionate. That’s all I can do; I can’t do anything else.”

Continually pushing internal competition is one of Webster’s biggest mantras, along with his “winning starts on Monday” approach to preparation. He’ll be loyal – but has the leeway to make changes – unlike some of his predecessors at Mt Smart, where there was more of an obvious gulf between the best and the rest. Creating genuine selection jeopardy has been the hallmark of most great NRL teams, which the Warriors hope to become.

The Knights will be a good early-season barometer, after their impressive 14-12 win over the Melbourne Storm last weekend. But the Warriors have also been boosted after breaking their own duck, with a noticeable spring in the step at training this week, while the squad appreciated the longer turnaround after the physical battle in Christchurch.

Newcastle provided some of the biggest flashpoints of Webster’s first season. There was the gritty win in the opening game in Wellington, with a defensive resilience that would define the campaign. There was the disappointing away loss in round six, a week after the miraculous comeback against the Sharks in Cronulla, which Warriors’ staffers would privately concede was one of their poorest performances of the season.

Then there was the breakthrough finals win at Mt Smart, the undoubted high point of the season, as everything came together when it mattered most in the 40-10 triumph. The Warriors have yet to get close to that level, especially with their offensive game, but Webster is prepared to be patient.

“In the early rounds everyone is a bit like that at the moment,” said Webster. “At least we are creating stuff; now we have got to finish it and ice those opportunities. But I’d rather be creating and bombing them than not creating them at this stage… we’ll get better.”

Michael Burgess has been a sports journalist since 2005, winning several national awards and covering Olympics, Fifa World Cups and America’s Cup campaigns. He has also reported on the Warriors and NRL for more than a decade.

I agree about the rust but he is in a defensive system he knows well and was a key part of last year.
Yeah he is approaching veteran level of experience with eighty games for the Warriors and two for NZ Maori.
So he should be fine, and he is the type of player that will be chomping at the bit to keep his career alive.
He telegraphed last year when the news broke about Roger playing center that he would 'train my arse off'....I have to say I felt sorry for him hearing him say that (knowing that he was gonna be pushing shit up hill) I guess I admire Pompey's attitude, a renowned hard trainer, one of those guys that believes that effort will offset ability.

Pretty much the heart of a Warrior. If there is an opportunity for him to convert to the forwards, I hope the Warriors give him a shot at it. Given his commitment to fitness, he could easily become a back row forward (coupled with his natural ability with tackling). Also Pompey would be a ball playing back rower when compared to some of others in that position.

The change in body shape, more muscle, more power, could really tip Pompey over that lip he seems stuck on where he is not fast for a Center, nor powerful, but if he played in the forwards tomorrow, he would be one of the quickest forwards in the NRL and therefore could afford to lose a step of pace as a forward for explosive power, and be pretty decent.

Runs hard, tackles hard, tall rangy player with no body fat issues, can pass a ball on the run like a center, it all stacks up.

Last edited:
Jazz onto bench. Not other changes.

Just edited my last post, googled it.....Walker is out.

Bummer about Walker, but Jazz was excellent last week, and that is exciting news overall given it means that Egan and Marata are still in the frame.

While Jazz cannot ball play like Walker or try assist, or steal a try, Jazz gives us a spare wheel out of Dummy half that is respectable.

Also I am pleased that Jazz gets another chance to prove himself, if he cracks it this week, the Bald bros will be back.

Ale should be picked over Bunty. Afoa provides no impact what so ever. He runs hard but gets stopped right in his tracks and has no leg drive.

Ale should be picked over Bunty. Afoa provides no impact what so ever. He runs hard but gets stopped right in his tracks and has no leg drive.
I think the idea is we have enough ball play and hard runners that the trade off to get Bunty's D is worth it.
There has been a lot of Ale talk but he has only ever been ok for me. Would would to see Zyon Maiu’u get a 20 minute burst. That dude looks scary

I think the idea is we have enough ball play and hard runners that the trade off to get Bunty's D is worth it.
There has been a lot of Ale talk but he has only ever been ok for me. Would would to see Zyon Maiu’u get a 20 minute burst. That dude looks scary
I think Ale would be more suited to starting.

I don't think he's an impact guy, he's got a huge motor though, he needs more minutes to make an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back