General Taylor To Panthers 2014

As I recall Cleary asked for a release from the final year of his contract because the offer the Panthers made was better than what the warriors were willing to give a guy that at that stage had done pretty much fuck all in six years. I'd hardly say he was fired.

Terrible, terrible post.

Dont know why Elliot kept him out there so long- after 25 mins he was blowing his ringer out. When they scored their third try he was 15m behind the play the ball- he was still trying to get back 10 when they were scoring 50m up the field

take a deep breath guys, its a professional game and professional world

a Marquee player is a definite item in the nrl rulebook, its a kinda pro player who the club nominates to receive otuside $, to do with the salary cap etc. apprently the panthers have made taylor one, which he isnt here. You blame him?

read what gus gould said in stuff website today. you serious that our Bell is smarter than Gould?

He's just not a No 9 full stop and he's been trying to tell us this in every single interview right up to match day. Alarm bells started ringing when the man says he is studying other hookers to find out how to play the position, a comment that would be worrying even in the fox competition let alone the NRL. Any NRL coach would have been rubbing their hands at his confessed "lack of experience" interviews.
True, I have never rated him as an NRL player as he never really showed anything last year and seems somewhat too small for second or back row by NRL standards. Cleary must know something special about him obviously bringing him through the system.

Buck777

Just at the airport and Taylor was getting picked up with his own 'Elijah Taylor' car - his name sign written all over it. He rates himself! I was thinking you wouldn't of seen players like Brad Thorn driving something with their name all over it. It was just a Mazda. I almost said I thought Marquwe players as good as him should have a hummer - because they're famous!

Reactions: Mr Frank White
I gave the coach benefit of the doubt for naming Taylor at 9. But it was clear to see after the first set that it was not the right decision.

What did the coach see in the preseason and the training sessions in Taylor to put him there? I think we all agree that hooker is the most important position on the field. So why give a guy that has a laboured pass, doesnt have a educated boot, cant command the forwards nor the zip to take it himself from dummy to the line . . . . why give him the job? the only reason I can come up with is Taylor is a tackle bot and he could sure up the middle. I know Taylor has the goods to become a 'go to' person and someone that can command a team (like he did in the U20s) but right now Taylor has to be put in a position on the field where his talents shine best, and hooker is not it ME.

What pisses me off is another team is going to put Taylor in that position where they can build off him and succeed, while Warrior fans look on with shrugged shoulders. We develop the guy and he shows his wares else where.

Unlike Inu who the coaches could not figure out, Taylor should be straight forward.

Seriously. WTF.

Reactions: ShaunJohnson7

Danpatmac

I gave the coach benefit of the doubt for naming Taylor at 9. But it was clear to see after the first set that it was not the right decision.

What did the coach see in the preseason and the training sessions in Taylor to put him there? I think we all agree that hooker is the most important position on the field. So why give a guy that has a laboured pass, doesnt have a educated boot, cant command the forwards nor the zip to take it himself from dummy to the line . . . . why give him the job? the only reason I can come up with is Taylor is a tackle bot and he could sure up the middle. I know Taylor has the goods to become a 'go to' person and someone that can command a team (like he did in the U20s) but right now Taylor has to be put in a position on the field where his talents shine best, and hooker is not it ME.

What pisses me off is another team is going to put Taylor in that position where they can build off him and succeed, while Warrior fans look on with shrugged shoulders. We develop the guy and he shows his wares else where.

Unlike Inu who the coaches could not figure out, Taylor should be straight forward.

Seriously. WTF.

I think we all don't agree actually.

Mr Frank White

Contributor
take a deep breath guys, its a professional game and professional world

a Marquee player is a definite item in the nrl rulebook, its a kinda pro player who the club nominates to receive otuside $, to do with the salary cap etc. apprently the panthers have made taylor one, which he isnt here. You blame him?

read what gus gould said in stuff website today. you serious that our Bell is smarter than Gould?

That article is all air. So what if he has great demeanor & work ethic he's an average footballer. Cleary see him as the next Hindmarsh or Cayless?
Cleary never struck me as a particularly great judge of character.

Cleary is a bit of a knob really and has a lot to answer for in regards to depth. Take Lewis Brown as an example. Did he play hooker on the weekend ? No, Did he play in the Centres? No, he played in his natural position of 2nd Row....Too many players at our club play out of position. Taylor is not a hooker, he is not even a proper tackle bot.

I would rather have a player like Mara and Godinet at hooker than Taylor.

Taylor can stay and play in the Vulcans, and be used as cover for the 2nd row or loose forward injuries during the season.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
NRL: Taylor made for Panther revolution

By Michael Burgess Email Michael

5:30 AM Sunday Mar 17, 2013

amedia.nzherald.co.nz_webcontent_image_jpg_201312_SCCZEN_070313SPLTAY140632676_220x147.jpg
Elijah Taylor. Photo / Hannah Johnston

Phil Gould sees Elijah Taylor at the forefront of the ongoing Penrith revolution - but doubts any more Warriors will follow him to West Sydney.

A member of the Warriors' inaugural Toyota Cup side in 2008, Taylor was a local product made good. He won awards during almost every season at the club, had grand final experience, set new standards with his attitude and commitment and is renowned as one of the hardest trainers at the club.

"He is the kind of player that we are trying to build our club around," Gould told the Herald on Sunday. "Ivan Cleary knew him well and indicated his potential leadership qualities, while his football talents are obvious. We want players who have their best football in front of them, are self-starters, have leadership qualities and are self-motivated; Elijah easily fits into that category."

At Penrith, Taylor will have what one insider described as "unprecedented opportunities" to develop his life outside football, especially in the massive community and development programmes the Panthers are constructing.

"When I met Elijah and talked about his personal goals for the future, both football and post-career, it fitted in well with what we are doing in our community here at Penrith," says Gould, who has been general manager at Penrith since 2011.

"We have 9000 junior players here - it's a massive pool."

Taylor's recruitment continues a trend of Kiwis being brought to the foot of the Blue Mountains by Cleary. Lewis Brown and others such as Dean Whare, Mose Masoe, Sika Manu and Matt Robinson have made the journey west in recent times.

"There hasn't been a concerted effort [to sign New Zealanders]," claims Gould. "They just happened to be a) the players that were available and b) fitted in with what we were doing.

However, we were also mindful that nearly 50 per cent of our junior league registrations now were of Polynesian heritage and it is important for the club to reflect that."

There has been talk in league circles that the Panthers have other Mt Smart targets in their notebook, with West Sydney native Feleti Mateo of particular interest, as he is off contract at the end of this season.

"I wouldn't think so, not at this stage," says Gould, when asked if Penrith will sign more Warriors. "We are pretty much done with our recruitment. We will focus on retention now. We have put a lot of time into our junior teams, and our NYC teams are improving, and we need to lock up those players."

Gould and Penrith are at the frontier of a war for sporting hearts and minds, with all football codes pumping resources into the region. The Western Sydney Wanderers have been spectacularly successful in their first A-League season, regularly drawing large crowds and are top of the table. The AFL expansion into the area was spearheaded by the Greater Western Sydney Giants in 2012 (with Israel Folau in tow), while the Waratahs are attempting to build a greater following in the area.

"Our catchment area is bigger in size than Brisbane," says Gould. "Our population will soon be greater than Brisbane, too. We also have the largest Australian indigenous population in our backyard, so we want to make sure they are represented. In this area, league is used as a platform for corporate and government to engage, so the role of the profile player is very important."

After Gould joined in 2011, one of his first signings was Cleary.

"I needed someone I knew well, who could develop talent and get the job done," says Gould. "After six years, the Warriors ended up in three grand finals on one day [in 2011] - that takes great patience and resilience. He was with me at the Roosters when we did the same thing in 2004. I also needed someone who had a reputation that could withstand the knocks from a couple of down years before things turned around."

Gould and Cleary have made some tough calls, including a clearout of big-name players such as Luke Lewis, Michael Jennings and Michael Gordon. They finished second-to-last in 2012 but had an encouraging win over the Raiders in round one and face the Tigers today.

"I trust the intelligence of our fans and they see the bigger picture," says Gould. "Every change we have made has been in the best long-term interests of the club and I think the fans understand that. Some of the decisions have been hard to understand from the outside but overall they have been accepted. We will ultimately be judged on the performance of our NRL side but we have some much greater issues to address."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10871779

Reactions: Raurimu Massive