General TAULAPAPA TO MAKE VODAFONE WARRIORS DEBUT AGAINST SOUTH SYDN

• Thread starter Warrior_Hot_Stepper_old
  • Start date

Warrior_Hot_Stepper_old

Winger Misi Taulapapa will become the Vodafone Warriors’ second first-grade debutant in three games when he lines up against South Sydney in Saturday night’s NRL encounter at Ericsson Stadium.
The 24-year-old will be the third player used on the left wing this month with Kiwi international Manu Vatuvei and Patrick both sidelined with injury.
Vatuvei (20) is still recovering from the hamstring injury that forced him out of the April 9 clash against Manly.
That allowed Ah Van (18) to make his debut against the Sea Eagles but he was forced off the field with a shoulder injury only 14 minutes into Saturday night’s loss to the Canberra Raiders. Damage to the AC joint in his left shoulder is expected to keep him out of action for four weeks.
“It’s unfortunate for Patrick because he handled himself well in his start at this level,†said Vodafone Warriors coach Ivan Cleary.
“Misi has an opportunity now on the strength of his form in the Bartercard Cup.
“He had a slow start to the year after being troubled by a stress fracture in is foot but he’s been going for the Auckland Lions lately.â€Â
Like Ah Van, Taulapapa is a product of the Vodafone Warriors’ Allied Work Force elite development programme. He travelled to Perth as 18th man for the Vodafone Warriors’ match against the Cronulla Sharks last May.
Taulapapa switched to rugby league from rugby union in 2004, turning out for Marist Richmond Brothers in the Bartercard Cup and making the New Zealand A side that year.
He’ll become the 130th first grader in the Vodafone Warriors’ 12-year history on Saturday night and there’s a possibility that number will grow to 131 with Sam Rapira, another graduate of the Allied Work Force elite development programme, named on a six-man bench for the South Sydney match.
Apart from Taulapapa replacing Ah Van, Cleary today named the same starting line-up used against Canberra with Grant Rovelli at standoff and Sione Faumuina due to come off the bench. It had been hoped 2005 Kiwi Jerome Ropati would be able to return from the hamstring injury that ruled him out of the last two games against Manly and Canberra.
Cleary doesn’t see anything easy about the clash against the Rabbitohs, the only side yet to win a match in the 2006 competition after losing 18-26 to the Bulldogs yesterday.
“I thought they went really well against the Dogs and they’ll be desperate against us,†said Cleary.
Jason Robinson was today named as referee for the match.
Meanwhile, two other promising players will be back in first-grade contention for the Vodafone Warriors shortly.
Simon Mannering, the club’s 2005 rookie of the year, scored two tries for the Wellington Orcas in their Bartercard Cup win over Harbour League on Sunday. It was Mannering’s first game of the year after an extended lay-off with a stress fracture in his leg. And 18-year-old back rower Sonny Fai is closer to a playing return after shoulder surgery in the off-season.

Jesbass_old

Yeah, I've heard him mentioned a few times, but I've never seen him play. He's supposed to be a quality talent.

one-eyed-warrior_old

To be honest with the season looking pretty well gone i think Ivan should just bring in as many new talents now , get some good combinations going so we can come out of the starting gate on fire like the knights have after their crap start last year.

Jesbass_old

one-eyed-warrior said:
To be honest with the season looking pretty well gone i think Ivan should just bring in as many new talents now , get some good combinations going so we can come out of the starting gate on fire like the knights have after their crap start last year.

Living up to your name there, one-eyed-warrior - I don't consider it over until it's over, and the fat lady hasn't sung yet! ;)

MiXmasterreece_old

Jesbass said:
one-eyed-warrior said:

Living up to your name there, one-eyed-warrior - I don't consider it over until it's over, and the fat lady hasn't sung yet! ;)

Certainly not. I dont see it being out of the question that we could make the 8.

one-eyed-warrior_old

It was posted that we can only lose 4 more games...... that seems over to me

MiXmasterreece_old

one-eyed-warrior said:
It was posted that we can only lose 4 more games...... that seems over to me

And where did you here that? We are only 6 points out of the top at the moment, that sounds like crap to me mate

one-eyed-warrior_old

I love the warriors, Ive even got the tattoo on my arm but guys you gotta face facts. I dont think we will make the top eight and thats cool. Thats what makes a fan. Someone who doesn't get a negative in the bad times but keeps it real. I just hope we dont waste this year where we can get some things happening and get us back to where we were a couple of years ago. Its all good if u wanna call me a dick i really dont give a damn. keep the faith but keep it real.

Skinny_Ravs82

one-eyed-warrior said:
I love the warriors, Ive even got the tattoo on my arm but guys you gotta face facts. I dont think we will make the top eight and thats cool. Thats what makes a fan. Someone who doesn't get a negative in the bad times but keeps it real. I just hope we dont waste this year where we can get some things happening and get us back to where we were a couple of years ago. Its all good if u wanna call me a dick i really dont give a damn. keep the faith but keep it real.

You make a very, very good point. And good on ya

patty_old

One eyed warriors has hit it on the head. I felt for us to be a good chance this year we should have beaten sea eagles and at least raiders. but it doesnt faze me...us warriors fans have been through harders times such as 2004 and i for one am not getting my hopes up for the warriors this year. If we do make it EXCELLENT but again i dont think we have the consitency. So i feel we should be bringing in the young guns and even some past ones...look at tuimivave he couldnt do shit last year now hes unstopable

Wiki_old

one-eyed-warrior said:

Exactly and if we find a superstar or two in the making then awesome. The team is super young, and next year it will get even younger so the more time we can let them develop in NRL conditions, the better.

Jesbass_old

one-eyed-warrior said:

I never did, and nor do I intend to. But if we can lose another four games and still make the eight, by that very logic, the season isn't yet over. Good on you for remaining true, though. :)

JonB_old

*Id say it was impossible for Willaima Wallace to beat the english, but he did it.
*Armstrong landed on the moon (maybe some people still debate that)
*The Tigers won the NRL (more people had them for the spoon than the priemership)
* Some guy called Sir Edmund Hillary climbed up the biggest mountain in the world and came back down it again.
Certainly more amazing things have been done than the warriors maing the eight.
You say impossible, I say do-able.

one-eyed-warrior_old

Yeah i'd agree its not impossible but not likely. I'd love to see it though. lets start with rabbits. Go the warriors!!

-Dr.J-_old

madbaz said:
Wiping your arse with your elbow. Now thats impossible

If you've got a prosthetic arm it could happen

Prolly be hard to offload in the tackle tho