General Taulapapa looking at Cowboys

warriors4life_old

From nzherald.co.nz

Misi Taulapapa has his sights set on getting back into the NRL saddle, with the Cowboys promising to run their eye over the disgraced winger.

The 24-year-old had his Warriors contract terminated last week for his fourth breach of discipline this year, all involving alcohol. But on Thursday he signed a 10-week contract with Queensland Cup side the Central Comets and was due to make his debut this weekend.

"They want me for next year but I'm keeping my options open in case an NRL club comes along," he explained. "I've been told I will also have a couple of sessions with the Cowboys so hopefully I can get back in there."

Convincing a coach of his talents might be the easy task; convincing those around him he can deal with alcohol maturely might be more difficult. "I will be on my best behaviour," Taulapapa promised.

The Warriors had hoped the youngster would have been on his best behaviour after they recently issued him with a final warning and those in league can only hope that Taulapapa finally learns from his mistakes.

"It was really unfortunate, for everyone," Warriors coach Ivan Cleary said solemnly.

"I don't think I have a drinking problem," Taulapapa insisted, "more a problem with knowing when to say 'yes' and when to say 'no'. Sometimes I get carried away."

He's accepted the Warriors' decision to terminate his contract but there is also a part of him that feels a little hard done by.

"I've seen a lot of other players do a lot worse," he offered. "It was pretty harsh," he also said. "The club is going through a lot of stress at the moment," he added.

The club, however, felt they were left with no alternative and it comes at a time when league players on both sides of the Tasman have been involved in a disturbingly high number of alcohol-related incidents that have cast a spectre over the game.

Last Friday, Taulapapa was supposed to go to the movies with a family member visiting from the UK. The pair like to catch up every year but instead of the movies, they took seats at a local bar.

It was a decision with grave consequences given his transgression came less than 48 hours before the Warriors were due to take on the Broncos. Taulapapa had turned up to training a "little under the weather" on the Saturday and was immediately withdrawn from Sunday's game.

"We missed the movie and had a few drinks," Taulapapa said. "It ended up being too many. It was a really bad decision and it cost me my future, at least with the Warriors."

Life seemed good for the lively winger who had made five appearances this season. He recently signed a contract extension for 2007, with an option for 2008, and had become a regular in the side after making his debut against the Rabbitohs in round seven.

For Taulapapa, the past week has been a time of reflection, a time to assess what he wants in life and a time to find out who his real friends are.

"My parents always told me that I give so much to my mates," he said. "They kept saying that my friends would always be there but when you get into the deepest trouble, it's funny how your friends aren't there."

Australia now represents a fresh start for Taulapapa and it's a chance he needs to take if he wants to get back into the NRL. There is a quiet determination about him but he needs to prove he is one leopard who can indeed change his spots.

warriors4life_old

Good on him, if he wants to make a fresh start, and the Warriors aren't willing to take him back then he should look at his options.

JonB_old

Matt Bowen, Matt Sing, Ty Willams and Brenton Bowen.
What position is he going to be playing they already have 4 outside backs better than or equal to Talapapa

2big2strong_old

yeah, Matt Sing has signed with Hull Fc, he's playing with my cousin at Comets, Odell, and that makes at least 3 former warriors at the Comets..

Misi Taulapapa
Odell Manuel
Herewini Rangi (also Wairangi's brother-in-law)

Skinny_Ravs82

I think it's a bit too soon for him to just 'jump back in the saddle'. He's really got to get a hold of his problems first before thinking about league....
Why do I get the feeling he hasn't yet learnt his lesson? I mean saying' you'll be on your best behaviour' is one thing; but actually doing it is another

Kav_old

He'll probably come back to bite us too.
Have we got an environment/culture problem where some will only do their best away from the Warriors? (Latu excepted though his form on the field was better for the Sharks)

Kav

Iafeta_old

I guess he's a professional skinny. In other words, he has to earn a living. I don't think trying to do that is going to hinder his progress; in actual fact, I think it'll be the other way as at least he's off the streets so to speak trying to do something positive with his life and taking away the 'free time' so to speak.

I wish him the best - if he sorts himself out, and gains half a yard of pace, I'd love to have him back here.

Skinny_Ravs82

Iafeta said:
I guess he's a professional skinny. In other words, he has to earn a living. I don't think trying to do that is going to hinder his progress; in actual fact, I think it'll be the other way as at least he's off the streets so to speak trying to do something positive with his life and taking away the 'free time' so to speak.

I wish him the best - if he sorts himself out, and gains half a yard of pace, I'd love to have him back here.

True mate true! I certainly think it's good for him to want to put that behind him definitely. But for some of us, no matter how old you are the old habbits do die hard. I'd love nothing more than to have him prove critics wrong and for his true league potencial to emerge (whereever he plays).

2big2strong_old

i personally don't think he has a problem to get over, it just sounds like he's easily influenced and doesnt think about conscequences, somehow i think being fired is enough of a wake up call. you'd make it into the guiness book of records if he got fird again for the same thing

Iafeta_old

WF, true, although we need to look at both the short term and long term pros and cons of the decision made.

Short Term

Misi's on field abilities utilised
Misi doesn't feel the motivation to seek assistance
The club instils a culture of do what you want, at whatever compromise to the community, the other players, and indeed the club's code of conduct which potentially could lead to any number of disasters - PR disasters such as the 'handbag' incident, or worse, crime or accident's induced by alcohol when no policing of the code of conduct took place
Ongoing from that a downturn in support

Long term

The club is seen as a responsible enterprise
It turns media negativity around from being seen to do the right thing
Other players see the example set and get themselves right potentially avoiding alcohol induced disasters
Misi Taulapapa sees it as a motivator to seek assistance to beat the addiction

In my opinion, the club has done completely the right thing in particular reference to the fact he had three previous warnings. In my line of work, if I turn up to my place of work drunk (as Misi had done when attending Saturday's training) I would be fired. In my position, I have to set an example to a team of drivers and we cannot tolerate the risks associated with alcoholism. That's the reality of life, I would be highly suspect to any organisation that did not take disciplinary measures to employees who arrived at work under the weather.

Kav_old

In my opinion, the club has done completely the right thing in particular reference to the fact he had three previous warnings. In my line of work, if I turn up to my place of work drunk (as Misi had done when attending Saturday's training) I would be fired. In my position, I have to set an example to a team of drivers and we cannot tolerate the risks associated with alcoholism. That's the reality of life, I would be highly suspect to any organisation that did not take disciplinary measures to employees who arrived at work under the weather.[/quote]

I would question the extent of the three previous warnings:

Were there any penalties attached to those warnings?

Why three warnings? One with a deterrent penalty, two with a stiff penalty and a final warning might have avoided this final and absolute penalty (and the loss of a very promising player).

Kav

Iafeta_old

We don't know the extent of the warnings, although a warning is a warning. In Australia, its first warning verbal, next two written, after that you are dismissed for reoffending. If they've followed that sequence of events, they have made the right decision.

They also need to make sure the club long term benefits from setting a strong code of conduct and keeping to it. Misi may be a loss, but a loss of ethical management and letting is slip under the radar would have been far far worse to the club in the long term.

Esoj_old

Kav said:
In my opinion, the club has done completely the right thing in particular reference to the fact he had three previous warnings. In my line of work, if I turn up to my place of work drunk (as Misi had done when attending Saturday's training) I would be fired. In my position, I have to set an example to a team of drivers and we cannot tolerate the risks associated with alcoholism. That's the reality of life, I would be highly suspect to any organisation that did not take disciplinary measures to employees who arrived at work under the weather.

I would question the extent of the three previous warnings:

Were there any penalties attached to those warnings?

Why three warnings? One with a deterrent penalty, two with a stiff penalty and a final warning might have avoided this final and absolute penalty (and the loss of a very promising player).

Kav[/quote]

you really think so. he obviously didn't learn from the 3 previous ones. and what more can the club do. surely 3 chances is enough for any player. he should have been grateful he got 3 chances instead of getting sacked earlier.

good luck to misi. hopefully he can control himself and get his life back on track. I also can't see exactly where he will play if he does go to the cowboys even with sing gone.

warriors4life_old

With Matt Sing leaving next year and Josh Hannay most likely to sign with another club then the Cowboys backline might look like this if they get Misi:
1. Matt Bowen
2. Neil Sweeney
3. Ty Williams
4. Paul Bowman
5. Misi Taulapapa
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Brett Firman

2big2strong_old

warriors4life said:
With Matt Sing leaving next year and Josh Hannay most likely to sign with another club then the Cowboys backline might look like this if they get Misi:
1. Matt Bowen
2. Neil Sweeney
3. Ty Williams
4. Paul Bowman
5. Misi Taulapapa
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Brett Firman

with brett firman on the outer i wouldn't be suprised to see this

1. Misi Taulapapa
2. Neil Sweeney
3. Ty Williams
4. Paul Bowman
5. Brenton Bowen
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Matt Bowen

warriors4life_old

2black2strong said:
warriors4life said:
1. Matt Bowen
2. Neil Sweeney
3. Ty Williams
4. Paul Bowman
5. Misi Taulapapa
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Brett Firman

with brett firman on the outer i wouldn't be suprised to see this

1. Misi Taulapapa
2. Neil Sweeney
3. Ty Williams
4. Paul Bowman
5. Brenton Bowen
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Matt Bowen

Matt Bowen at halfback? If Firman was on the outer and Bowen was at halfback then I would rather have Brenton Bowen at fullback (he's had plenty of experience there) and Taulapapa on the wing.