Penrith Panthers
Junior Club/s
Asquith Magpies
Previous Club/s
Asquith Magpies, Penrith Panthers
Status
Active
Club reportedly poach young playmaker from Penrith
He has been in the Panthers system since 2020.

ETHAN LEE CHALK
WRITER | AUGUST 9, 2023 - 8:47PM

The Penrith Panthers have reportedly lost another youngster; this time, it is Luke Hanson, a five-eighth in their Jersey Flegg team

Primarily a playmaker in the five-eighth role, Hanson has reportedly been poached by the New Zealand Warriors in a big massive blow, per The League Scene. While either club has not yet confirmed the reports, Hanson has not featured in the club's team list for the past two weeks since the reports emerged.

His reported departure will make him the next Panthers halves playmaker to leave the club after Sean O'Sullivan and Isaiya Katoa both joined the Dolphins at the beginning of the season, and Jack Cogger will leave at the end of the season to take up a three-year contract with the Newcastle Knights.

Due to the Penrith Panthers being so successful in their junior ranks and in the NRL, there has been a continued trend of other clubs poaching their youngsters in favour of new opportunities and extended minutes.

Although Hanson has mainly appeared in the five-eighth role when playing in the Jersey Flegg Cup, he can easily fit anywhere into the back and has previously appeared in previous games as a fullback.

An Asquith Magpies junior, Hanson has come through the Panthers pathways system since 2020 and has found himself playing for the club in the Harold Matthews Cup, SG Ball Cup and Jersey Flegg Cup.

He will be hoping the move across the ditch to the New Zealand Warriors will open up his opportunities, so he can receive more game time, whether in the Jersey Flegg Cup, NSW Cup or at first-grade level. The move to the Warriors would also see him learn of the likes of Shaun Johnson, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, head coach Andrew Webster and assistant Stacey Jones.

A few have jumped on his bandwagon after one trial and are pumping up his tires as the next thing already lol.
Fact one, we have seen stuff all from him and the road to prediction is paved with fallen hopes.

Fact two....our current halves options in life after Johnson are horrible. truly horrible.

We have nothing to lose I guess in trying a new unproven half and hoping they can kick a ball, not just run and pass.

He seemed composed out there, I liked what little I saw.

His natural position is stand off, so I will be very keen to see if the club plays him at halfback in Juniors.

Hopefully he is the droid we have been looking for, hopefully he likes field kicking and calling plays.

Being a kid, just a kid from Aussie our chances of keeping him long term are thin.

A few have jumped on his bandwagon after one trial and are pumping up his tires as the next thing already lol.
We've been around this place since day dot. Its the same song EVERY. SINGLE. TIME!

I think everyone understands implicitly just how pivotal a great halves player is to that Holy Grail. You cant win the big dance without at least one. Knowing that, its no surprise that we latch onto every player we ever have on the books who has a half decent pass and a one minute highlights reel gathered over 3 years. From Harry Siejka to Ata Hingano to Mason Lino to Ronald Volkman its always that faint whiff of hope that has us gagging to believe we may just have the next big thing right at our doorstep.

In any case, let us have our hope, bro. Its all some of us have had for the last 30 years lol...

I think the most promising thing was the size of his boot. We just can never produce a half (Bar SJ) that can kick for distance.

Sounds like his contract guarantees him a development spot for 2025, so won’t see him in first grade for another year and a half anyway (if he progresses as expected)

Ben Farr basically has a one year shot then. Nail a spot in the top 30 over this year and this offseason or back to Aus in 2025. Chances are it’s probably gonna be the latter.

Like mentioned previously we have had a lot of young promising players brought across to New Zealand. For various reasons it hasn't worked out.

Another two I'd add to the list would be the two young English forwards. The thought behind it was alright. At the time we were doing well in the 20s we could have been the place to come for players around that age. Yes there is debate on the development of the players back then, talking more the results and talent around them. Coming to New Zealand to experience something different.

I mentioned with Volkman. Also a lot of plans the thing is seeing things through. Rugby League is a dynamic business, all it takes is a coaching change and the new coach not being a fan of the player or had an issue (or player an issue with the coach) with them in the past for the plan to change and the player moves on.

Webster would be familiar with Hanson. The key things are Hanson getting settled in New Zealand and enjoying his football, otherwise anything else falls over. Then Webster with the coaching staff sorting out a development path for him. We are moving towards being a development club.

Then if he is successful here. How settled here would be key again, otherwise he'll be back off to Australia.

Like mentioned previously we have had a lot of young promising players brought across to New Zealand. For various reasons it hasn't worked out.

Another two I'd add to the list would be the two young English forwards. The thought behind it was alright. At the time we were doing well in the 20s we could have been the place to come for players around that age. Yes there is debate on the development of the players back then, talking more the results and talent around them. Coming to New Zealand to experience something different.

I mentioned with Volkman. Also a lot of plans the thing is seeing things through. Rugby League is a dynamic business, all it takes is a coaching change and the new coach not being a fan of the player or had an issue (or player an issue with the coach) with them in the past for the plan to change and the player moves on.

Webster would be familiar with Hanson. The key things are Hanson getting settled in New Zealand and enjoying his football, otherwise anything else falls over. Then Webster with the coaching staff sorting out a development path for him. We are moving towards being a development club.

Then if he is successful here. How settled here would be key again, otherwise he'll be back off to Australia.

So... are we talking Kiwi Mrs, shotgun wedding..etc?

Back