Internationals Tamou calls for more Kiwis in Origin.

Reaction score
Bouncy Meatballs

Bouncy Meatballs

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/james-tamou-hopes-his-experience-will-lead-to-more-new-zealand-born-players-joining-origin-ranks/story-e6frexv9-1226410512562

NSW front-rower James Tamou has fuelled the debate about Kiwis playing Origin by boldly telling other young New Zealand players: "If I can play Origin, you can too."
In a move that is certain to infuriate those who firmly believe Origin is under threat from Kiwi influence, the 23-year-old giant says he hopes he has paved the way for other young players from his homeland to follow him.
It comes as the ARL Commission searches for a solution to the growing issue about New Zealand-born players earning selection for NSW or Queensland, with the possibility of banning those who have played for the Junior Kiwis from pulling on an Origin jumper.
"I've opened something up," Tamou told The Daily Telegraph. "The New Zealand boys who might have been here since they were young might have been too scared, or too concerned about the media and hype about it, to play for NSW or Queensland. So I hope some boys might be looking at me and say, 'Well, if he did it, that's what I want to do'. I hope I might've started something there."
Having considered Auckland-born Bulldogs prop Sam Kasiano for the decider, the Maroons raised further eyebrows on this side of the Tweed when they named New Zealand-born Ben T'eo in their 20-man squad for Wednesday night's blockbuster at Suncorp Stadium.
The ARLC has intensified its search for new eligibility rules for international football in a bid to head off confusion over who can play in the domestic game's showpiece event.
It is understood ARLC director of integration and development Andrew Hill late last year attempted to convince the Rugby League International Federation into adopting international junior matches (under-20s) as a defining criteria.
In other words, those players who represented the Junior Kiwis would be banned from playing Origin and would have to play for New Zealand. Under that proposal, Tamou, Kasiano and T'eo would not be allowed to play.
It was dismissed at the time by northern hemisphere countries, but it is believed the idea has been mooted again in light of last week's firestorm over Kasiano's potential inclusion in the Maroons squad.
There is also some suggestion the three-year residency rule could be extended. Tamou admits the furore over his selection for Australia for the Anzac Test in May, as well as ongoing debate about him playing for NSW, has made him question whether he had made the right decision.
"I was like, 'Geez, this has caused such a big uproar. It would've been better to have not done it'," Tamou said. "But I'm comfortable now about where I am and I think that ship has sailed and I couldn't be happier.
"Even for the other boys coming in, it's hardly their fault. You've got the coaches phoning up and saying, 'I want you I want you.' Players like big Sammy, his eyes would light up if he got that phone call (to play for Queensland). Just like mine did. It's hard to blame anyone really. If the rules were that stern, Sam and I wouldn't have got the phonecall in the first place."

Reaction score
LoachNZ

LoachNZ

Waterboy
Reaction score
lol i found this funny.. well the only reason i would want this to happen is to see how much it pisses the aussies off

Reaction score
Magic Stick

Magic Stick

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
James Dundee you aint a kiwi no more....Ill be laughing when he has his 1st shocker and gets dropped,and cant make Origin or the Kangaroos...and comes crawling back.Hopefully the NZRL give him the 1 finger salute

Reaction score
Rizzah

Rizzah

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
I imagine more kiwi/poly players will end up playing origin, even more so if the money gets better as predicted.
It must be a huge carrot if your immersed in the aussie league environment like a lot of the NZ boys are.
Yes Internationals should be the top imo. But when origin is publicised in aus as the pinnicle of rugby league, it's going to draw in a few kids wanting to experience that and the $$ on offer.
It's just a shame that the only way you can currently get in is to declare your allegiance to Australia.
maybe it'll get so farcical that they'll eventually kick the allegiance rule.. and it'll just become an NRL all stars game.

Reaction score
Blain

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Sounds like he's trying to encourage other Kiwis to play Origin so he doesn't feel alone and ashamed he has turned his back on his home country..

Reaction score
Rizzah

Rizzah

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
Remember it's also a job to these players.
A 50k bonus for a rep game would be hard to turn down for anyone in any industry if you were eligible, however murky it seemed.
I just think it's shit that the NRL, ARL, haven't evolved origin to cater for the changing make up of the players involved in the competition.
Either by changing the rules/concept or adding another flavour (see tri-series with a all-the-rest team) to cater for the players that don't otherwise get a chance, without perverting the international game.

Reaction score
iago

iago

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Agreed Rizzah.

Remember rugby league was the NSWRL not so long ago. As prior to 1980 the interstate team selection was based on where your club team was situated. To even things up they changed it to your first senior rugby league, allowing the 'QLDers' to represent QLD. It's this definition of the word 'Origin', combined with it being an 'Aussie only' event that really fucks up everything. If they came up with a more suitable definition of 'Origin', or relaxed the International limitation it wouldn't be a problem. The game grew rapidly, yet the eligibility rules are still archaic, they haven't changed to suit the current face of the NRL.

The old heads view Kiwis in SoO the same way a bunch of young Aussie men view a crowd of Muslims on North Cronulla beach.

Reactions: smc
Reaction score

Buck777

Should be titled 'if I can lower myself and sing the Australian national anthem, you can too'

Reaction score
Bouncy Meatballs

Bouncy Meatballs

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
As much as I hate this article, I honestly think this is great for raising awareness of the joke that is League eligibility. Think about it, the ARLC are in even more pressure than before.

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
As much as I hate this article, I honestly think this is great for raising awareness of the joke that is League eligibility. Think about it, the ARLC are in even more pressure than before.

Well it is ridiculous. They need to make a decision. You can't expect these guys to come over as teenagers, be surrounded by Aussie team-mates, coaches, journo's, while living in Sydney/Brisbane (or Townsville), and expect them to be immune to the lure of 'The pinnacle of rugby league' that comes with a massive pay packet. We can rubbish them until the cows come home, but what was once a random one off every few years (Khunt) is now becoming a regular season occurrence. You can bet your bottom dollar if SBW had debuted this year or last year he would have strapped on a Blues jersey. It's accepted now, and it needs to be sorted out.

Reaction score
Wigan Warrior

Wigan Warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
They tried to get Adrian Morley to play Origin but he told them where to go.

Reaction score
Moz

Moz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
he really is just a MONG old Tamou, god bless 'em great prop but his grinning face reminds me of the kid that steers at you from the back window of the special bus when your stuck behind it in traffic

** sorry poor taste I know

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
This article has made Tamou look kind of foolish. He clearly rates himself as the catalyst for a changing tide, but alas, the tide changed long before he came along. Its nothing new James. Your not the first, and you won't be the last. There are plenty of money-grubbers around who will pledge their allegiance to the highest bidder.

A few of my views on Origin.

If the Aussies were genuine about their reasons for selecting Kiwi players for Origin, then that would be one thing, but they have a two-fold thinking behind it. Number 1, it gives them the best players available, and number 2, it limits New Zealand's possible selections, which will help keep Australia the dominant force.

It would be no big thing for the Australians to tweak their own eligibility rules so players could play Origin and still represent NZ. Origin is not International level league. They don't have to run a rule change by anyone apart from their own governing body. The International governances are irrelevant to Origin eligibility.

I am happy for any "Kiwi" player to play Origin if they can find the right loophole. I don't want them in my Kiwis. I want passionate players who will bleed for the jersey, rather than the guy looking for a few quick bucks.

On the $BW comment made by someone earlier, it wouldn't surprise me if it is already in the pipeline for the Aussies to allow Money Bill to play SOO. I believe that is the real reason for his return to league. He doesn't care about the Kiwis jersey. I remember a report a few months back where he said that Origin eligibility would be one way to get him to return to league.
(side note: Is it a coincidence that David Gallop insisted SBW would not return to league unless he had a one on one meeting with him first, and within a month of Gallop being fired, SBW announces his return?)

Back on track, I have been rapidly losing interest in Origin for several years now, but this laughable manipulation of the event has turned it into nothing more than a farce to me, and I would expect that it will follow for most league fans. Even the Aussie fans will start to question the genuineness of it with this sort of BS happening so regularly.

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
On the bright side if enough Kiwis play SOO, we will get a NZ version of it, it will be called the Kiwis vs the Kangaroos.

Reaction score

smc

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I understand why he did it. In his position I'd take the money too.
The thing that pisses me off is the fact he's even considered to be in the team, he shouldn't be eligible to play. He is not Australian. His 'state' of origin is Palmerston North.
If i was a new south welsh man I'd be pissed off about the kiwi in the side.
While I'm on the subject Nathan Fein is not a kiwi and shouldn't be playing for us, something that's never sat well with me.
Something needs to be done, I just don't know what.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
We beat them in the finals of the Four nations with a Try and an effort that Matches any of the Origin hype.....Our punch ups aren't staged Chuck Norris Jackie Chan out takes....

We really do hate them.

Origin is a league Trial between provincial sides.....you can fap and gag on the hype all you like but at the end of the day its a Have.

An excellent game of Footie no doubt , but whether or not Its better than a test is Subjective and last time I checked I'm a Subject Of NZ.

And this ( Rhymes with Banker ) Is playing for a Foreign country , To call on other NZ'ders to rep for a Foreign team is committing a treasonous act !

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed Rizzah.

Remember rugby league was the NSWRL not so long ago. As prior to 1980 the interstate team selection was based on where your club team was situated. To even things up they changed it to your first senior rugby league, allowing the 'QLDers' to represent QLD. It's this definition of the word 'Origin', combined with it being an 'Aussie only' event that really fucks up everything. If they came up with a more suitable definition of 'Origin', or relaxed the International limitation it wouldn't be a problem. The game grew rapidly, yet the eligibility rules are still archaic, they haven't changed to suit the current face of the NRL.

The old heads view Kiwis in SoO the same way a bunch of young Aussie men view a crowd of Muslims on North Cronulla beach.
DO you know at what stage they actually made nationality a requirement for playing SOO?

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
I tried to answer this question myself and read the wiki on it. not so helpful, but it did point to the fact that the purpose of Origin was to have a domestic competition which they would then use as a tool to help them chose the Australian International side.

SO i guess in my mind its pretty simple - either they acknowledge that SOO is a trial game to pick the international side and ban Kiwis, or they say it is the premier game of the season and therefore should include the best players available from anywhere to make it even better.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
The whole point of Origin is to own League.

Theses guys saw the day comming when Aussie wouldn't be producing all of the best young talent in the Southern hemisphere.

Tamou probably got paid by the letter in that article to sell the Australian Rugby league system

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
SO i guess in my mind its pretty simple - either they acknowledge that SOO is a trial game to pick the international side and ban Kiwis, or they say it is the premier game of the season and therefore should include the best players available from anywhere to make it even better.

Pretty much, they want to have their cake and eat it too. When it suits them they call it an Aussie trial (which it clearly isn't), the rest of the time they crap on about rivalry and the old days in the 80's mate vs mate etc. Even on the footy show, Girdler going on about growing up 'hating QLD and QLD hating NSW' - yet their current eligibility rules don't support that theory at all. You could live your whole life in the heart of Sydney, play one game for Souths in Brisbane on a 2 week trip to QLD and suddenly you're a QLDer. Greg Inglis is the perfect example of how flawed it is, that rule was simply employed to even out the ridiculous QLD vs NSW prior to the expansion of the NSWRL.

Top Bottom