General Tallis's Warrior Comments

Reaction score

Buck777

Last night after the Inu march the panel went through the clubs. Gordon Tallis gave his observations of us. Basically he said:

1. Warriors should play during Origin week being the least effected club
2. A 14 day gap between games hurts the warriors as they tend to play 'lazy footy' after a break. He said byes hurt the warriors more than most clubs as they are a 'momentum' building team playing better week to week without breaks.
Found that point of view interesting. Doesn't help we're playing the storm after the break.

Reaction score
Blain

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I agree re playing through origin, not only being one of the least effected club, it also gives us more chances to beat under strength teams ;)

I hope his second comment winds the boys up and we prove him wrong. Sounds a bit of the Sydney media view of a massive and un fit forward pack here, steriotypical bullshit.

Reaction score
crump81

crump81

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Didnt we start a winning streak immediately after our 2nd bye last year?

Reaction score

Buck777

don't quote me but I think our winning streak started from Origin one.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club President
Contributor
Reaction score
bugger that! i dont want to wait until after our 2nd bye!

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Talllis is kind of right about the Warriors being a Lazy team , Mentally they are Lazy.....they drift in and out of games badly and have struggled to put a consistent Season together...Focus has always been a problem.

If you had to pick a team to play after the Bye it would be the Storm...best motivation in the circumstance...imo

Reaction score
bigstu

bigstu

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
after we had just lost on the trot after our first bye. everything he said was true.

Reaction score
Fenderboy

Fenderboy

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
warriors.JPG

The four rounds between the byes last year almost sunk us and included the game against the Tigers which should never have been lost from the score we were up by with 15 minutes left on the clock.I agree with Tallis that the Warriors are a momentum side and need to keep playing.

Bring back Inu!!

Reaction score
Makasene

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
We lost every game between our byes last year.

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
If memory serves me right:
roosters won farly,
tigers, Luck gets injured
Cowboys, Inu kicks it out on the full twice (i think)
Storm, Hohaia drops a bomb that leads to a melbourne try

Not making any excuses, just showing my brilliance. :D

Reaction score
mrblonde

mrblonde

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Begs the question:

Should the Warriors have asked/insisted that more Warriors players be included in the Vulcans last week to keep them match-ready?

That's predicated on the Warriors A: Wanting to do that and B: Having the right to - ie what influence do they have given funding arrangements etc etc versus not wanting to annoy the Vulcans - Blackmore etc - just because they can.

Reaction score
Leaguenut76

Leaguenut76

U20's Player
Reaction score
Begs the question:

Should the Warriors have asked/insisted that more Warriors players be included in the Vulcans last week to keep them match-ready?

That's predicated on the Warriors A: Wanting to do that and B: Having the right to - ie what influence do they have given funding arrangements etc etc versus not wanting to annoy the Vulcans - Blackmore etc - just because they can.
The warriors could of played as many players as they wanted to last weekend but chose to rest them. Also Ricky Henry is the coach not Blackmore

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm happy they had the bye. They had a few hard games on the trot (Storm, Broncs, Roosters) then traveled to Tiger country last weekend. Rest will have been good for them.

Reaction score

Buck777

I guess Tallis was proven right unfortunately.

Reaction score
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Reaction score
It's all bullshit. We're no different to any other team in that regard - it can work for or against you, but it is due to a myriad of other factors...that dont include whether we play out of Mt Smart or North Sydney Oval.

How can you make such a sweeping generalisation? Are the Eels a "momentum team" because they went on a big run in 2009? It's one of those generic statements that sounds plausible, but actually has no basis to it.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club President
Contributor
Reaction score
matty johns said a the beginning of the season warriors wouldnt make the 8. everyone rubbished him including me. he doesnt look far off the mark at the moment.

Reaction score

Buck777

Yeah, but some teams win one lose one, but win enough ( usually home games) to scrape through to the finals. That's kinda what we did in 08.
Last year was different. We won a whole lot on the trot and I think ( don't quote me) our away wins were more than our home games or very close. If we'd had a bye in the middle of our golden patch would that have stopped our winning? Possibly. When Tallis said this he was being genuine in trying to figure out what makes the warriors win or not. At least it wasn't the usual 'big forwards got tired' or ' razzle dazzle footy' comments that usually get said about the warriors.
I agree too that we should play in SOO week. Kinda wouldn't mind playing a slightly jaded slater or Smith

Reaction score

Buck777

matty johns said a the beginning of the season warriors wouldnt make the 8. everyone rubbished him including me. he doesnt look far off the mark at the moment.
must admit I was thinking that last night hoping he wouldn't mention it which he didn't.

Reaction score
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Reaction score
Yeah, but some teams win one lose one, but win enough ( usually home games) to scrape through to the finals. That's kinda what we did in 08.
Last year was different. We won a whole lot on the trot and I think ( don't quote me) our away wins were more than our home games or very close. If we'd had a bye in the middle of our golden patch would that have stopped our winning? Possibly. When Tallis said this he was being genuine in trying to figure out what makes the warriors win or not. At least it wasn't the usual 'big forwards got tired' or ' razzle dazzle footy' comments that usually get said about the warriors.
I agree too that we should play in SOO week. Kinda wouldn't mind playing a slightly jaded slater or Smith

Some teams - like what teams? Or all teams at various times (including us).

To make that sort of comment you actually need evidence (post bye win/loss statistics compared to other teams).

We didnt lose to the Storm because we had the bye the week before, as you suggested that Tallis was "proven right". In fact quite the opposite, we started off far better than we have done previously. We just started playing crap and they started playing better. So unless this mysterious "bye effect" only starts up after 25 minutes, we'll have to say the point is distinctly unproven.

Reaction score

Buck777

Well you could argue that visits to theme parks prior to games doesn't do any good for us either. Whether you like it or not we lost after a bye, running out of steam at the 70 minutes after being up by 12 points. There may be many reasons. Bad player rotation, fitness, confidence, injury. Tallis suggesting a bye could be the reason isn't offensive to me. Sometimes the Warriors are playing so well you don't want the first half to end, maybe it's the same when we're on a winning roll of five games on the trot, don't end it- keep whatever's working going.
Again I don't see it as a negative comment. It came on the back of 'how do you think the Warriors will go against the Storm?'. Tallis paused thought about his answer and said what he said. He could've said 'who knows- they're playing the number one team in the NRL currently, with all key positions on fire, they'll probably lose'...but he didn't. He gave an opinion. Some obviously don't agree with it, but at least he suggested something.

Top Bottom