4. RLPA Players Champion
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Johnson
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/shaun-johnson/summary.html
This is pretty understandable.

After last season being stuck in Australia and finally being home with his young family some quiet time with the family would be something he is looking forward to.

Last season he had his first full off-season for a long time and we saw the benefits of it. Having international commitments and then coming back for a shortened pre-season may not have worked as well.

it's a credit to his form that he was in contention. Sure a lack of depth in the halves as well but last year he would have been down the list.

This is pretty understandable.

After last season being stuck in Australia and finally being home with his young family some quiet time with the family would be something he is looking forward to.

Last season he had his first full off-season for a long time and we saw the benefits of it. Having international commitments and then coming back for a shortened pre-season may not have worked as well.

it's a credit to his form that he was in contention. Sure a lack of depth in the halves as well but last year he would have been down the list.

It breaks me wee heart because I find it really hard to imagine him playing for the Kiwis ever again now.

If next year is his last, I want his final game to be in Blue, not Black, and lets be honest, I think he would feel the same way.

If he goes around again, he will then be 34 and going into year 15 (and hopefully off the back of playing October footy 👀) there is just no way.

Can't help but feel that at least a small part of the decision is a little bit of saltiness towards Madge for not sticking by him for the mid-year test or World Cup last year, he had that interview on Matty Johns' show and it did seem awkward.

That said, I will take SJ's health over SJ getting his 2019 Benji Moment, every day of the week.

just a thought after 900 beers and a metric shit ton of barbequing in the sun….

surely if SJ played anything like he did this season in the end of years, he’d have taken out the golden boot too.

big call and big commitment to next year man.

how can you not love the guy!

If players voted for him it means the committee suits definitely messed with him in that Manly game, real life snub

We really wasted SJs golden years, he was every bit as dynamic as Walsh but also a 7. Imagine if we had a team, coach and culture like this and a young SJ was just coming into the team. Really shocking in retrospect how poorly we did after 2011. Someone like SJ coming through is exactly what will be required for us to get over the top, but how long until the next one?

Well this years outcome will drop the standing of the Dally M and promote the RLPA’s awards as a higher priority now.

It’s clear with the way the Dally M’s system disadvantages strong teams with multiple points getters and the bias inherent in judging that the RLPA awards should be promoted more.
It's also great that it is the opposition players voting for it as they can't vote for anyone in their own team. True recognition by your peers.

We really wasted SJs golden years, he was every bit as dynamic as Walsh but also a 7. Imagine if we had a team, coach and culture like this and a young SJ was just coming into the team. Really shocking in retrospect how poorly we did after 2011. Someone like SJ coming through is exactly what will be required for us to get over the top, but how long until the next one?
I tell you what.

The inevitable book that comes out when he hangs up the boots......if he keeps it worts and all, should be the most Warrior defining and interesting read of our history i reckon.......

I tell you what.

The inevitable book that comes out when he hangs up the boots......if he keeps it worts and all, should be the most Warrior defining and interesting read of our history i reckon.......
This might be the cover:
1696232962209.png