Reaction score

WarriorBall

Shaun Metcalfe didn't work out playing-wise for us, but he seemed to get his life on track as far as I know. Corey Webster seems to be ok-to use a basketball equivalent. I think it helps young people more to be given chances than if we just left them on the scrap heap. Look at Gavet and Matagi.

When the self-esteem rises, when other people show faith and trust, eventually young people get there. I'm good with it. He's still young. The humble manner in which he has come to us is different to Kevin Locke's situation. Locke was told he was good very early, and his head seemed to get too big. People don't know a lot about Milne, except the drug thing. There's no pressure for the club to keep him. The onus is all on him to make it happen. it will either make or break him.

I'm happy with that deal.
End of the day it’ll be two years for peanuts with no guarantees and adds further depth to our outside backs, I don’t have an issue with it.

Reaction score

SilentOne

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
What sort of drugs was he taking?

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Unsure on this

Aust schoolboy(RU) two time junior kiwi, one of the best centres in last years World Cup

However

He’s been stung for drugs at two different clubs, he was also playing really poorly for tigers ISP team this year before he was sacked. I’ve read he has a bad attitude and is a poor trainer.

Let’s hope he gives this opportunity a decent crack
The thing is, he's on his last chance and I'm sure he knows that. I think if there's any club that is going to turn this guy around, it may be the 2018 and beyond model of the Warriors. Not only are we getting results on field, but we're not prostituting our club culture to do so. In fact, quite the opposite - it seems as though we're building a really strong culture built on family and respect.

I can't imagine guys like Kearney, RTS and Corvo putting up with a bad apple. He'll find himself out on his arse so fast it will make his head spin if he doesn't turn up ready to work.

I mean, look at Moses Suli - he was sacked from two clubs in about a month and went to the least stable place in the NRL in Manly. Apart from a passport related slip up, he's turned things around fairly decently. We're in a much better place as a club than Manly, so I think it's worth a punt.

Particularly if it gets Kata out of the fucking team ...

Reaction score
ko wai ra

ko wai ra

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
It's an opportunity at redemption which will definitely put our current center pairing on notice....

Ken will be coming off his kiwi experience with all the confidence & work on's madge could infuse into him but his playing potential is governed by the chemistry of his inside man....
Would hav luv'd to seen him bring out the left hook to mr greedy this yr cos byrights he warrented it....

KIAKAHA Taane!!!!!
Welcome to the whanau cuz....

Reaction score
Weno

Weno

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Welcome to the Warriors Taane.
Have faith in our team.
Have faith in you taking this opportunity.

Kata's days must be numbered now if he don't add to his attacking game.
Especially if Hiku sorts his defensive frailties to

Taane is strong on his feet and has a Toopi type of shift that helps him get on the outside of his man allowing him to offload to his outside.

Reaction score
Vancent

Vancent

😔
Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like the right way to sign someone like Taane - match payments.

Have some concerns though after stints at Chooks, Dragons and Tigers all encompassing missed training, poor training, late attendance, drugs and whatever else.

All or nothing, hope he kicks arse.

Reaction score
razzrillinger

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I like that SK consulted the leadership group to hear their thoughts on signing Milne.

Obviously they shouldn't be making the end decision but they would be privy to things that the coaching staff wouldn't be.

Last thing you'd want is a player being signed who other players think is a dickhead, no matter how cheaply they came.

Reaction score
fizurg

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
As far as I see it he’s low risk as far as salary cap goes but high risk as far as the top 30 go. If he turns out to be a dud and we have injury issues that could hurt us.
Of course if he plays well then that’s another story.

Reaction score

Socrates

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Go well Taane Milne, everyone deserves a chance at redemption. He is a prodigious talent with ball in hand, great build, size, strength and speed could be our long term centre option. He reminds me of a young Jerome Ropati or Waqa Blake type centre. Dangerous.
The club has an obligation to rally around this young man and support him to realize his potential. I think he will fit into the Warriors environment really well, it is often when players feel supported, part of and happy at their club that they perform well. Just look at how well he played for Fiji last year where the environment was no doubt inclusive and sort of a whanau vibe. Same thing here at the warriors. He has some great role models to look upto i.e RTS, Fusitua, Maumalo. Players that work hard off the field and the results on the field take care of themselves.
I am super excited with this signing and see him as our first choice centre 2020 all going well.
Be positive whanau, manifest a positive outcome.

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Piss it off!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Dragons fans POV “solid depth player, unlikely to be a starter”

Reaction score

ForTheLoveOfGod

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
He's rated a talent for a good reason, he won't be depth for long, he will be starting. We got a potential pearl here, and finally an attacking centre on the books.

Reaction score
Otto Sump

Otto Sump

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I've come in late on this. Is this News or a Rumour?

Reaction score
wrighty

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I didn't like the part of the article where it says he gets on the drugs when he is on the piss. And that he doesn't have a great self control around alcohol. That sounds like addict talk to me. I think there is a decent chance he will flame out and give in to drugs/alcohol.

Hope not though.

Reaction score
Deranged

Deranged

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I didn't like the part of the article where it says he gets on the drugs when he is on the piss. And that he doesn't have a great self control around alcohol. That sounds like addict talk to me. I think there is a decent chance he will flame out and give in to drugs/alcohol.

Hope not though.
Well the fact he says he doesn’t have a drug problem isn’t a great sign he’s taking responsibility.

Reaction score
wrighty

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Well the fact he says he doesn’t have a drug problem isn’t a great sign he’s taking responsibility.
There are real warning flags. This has Jesse Ryder written all over it.
If he was a normal drinker he would say "I better watch my drinking as sometimes it has been because of the booze that I have tried something illegal".
Instead the only solution he can think of is to stay off alcohol all together. The only people who need to stay off alcohol all together are those people who "one drink is too many and too few at the same time" ie alcoholics.

Using myself as an example, I only socially drink and can quite easily regulate whether I have one, two, or at most three drinks in an evening. People who need to go cold turkey as the solution are always alcoholics.
Jesse promised he would never touch the stuff again and that was his solution as well, and he couldn't keep that up.

I think if I were SK I would have made him enrolling in AA and getting a sponsor part of the mix.

Like I said though I hope he comes through and I would give him a shot just like SK has, especially after getting a hand written letter.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

.... LOADING ....
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't like the part of the article where it says he gets on the drugs when he is on the piss. And that he doesn't have a great self control around alcohol.
Warriors are the best place for him. A club near South Auckland.... What could possibly go wrong?

Reaction score
Off The Bench

Off The Bench

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
There doesn't feel like there is a bunch of idiots to lead astray
So if he goes off its just his contract .
I don't know this for a fact but our players are
Looking a lot more focussed an professional.

So I recon its a good deal .Cheap an more than capable .
Gelling did fine This guy could well push for a spot .An given
We got him for two years ,Who knows?

Reaction score
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Being out of the Sydney scene should help. Carrot and the stick here. He has a chance but is on a short leash with training targets and drug testing mandated.

I dont know much about him. Can he play other positions like second row?

Reaction score

ForTheLoveOfGod

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Being out of the Sydney scene should help. Carrot and the stick here. He has a chance but is on a short leash with training targets and drug testing mandated.

I dont know much about him. Can he play other positions like second row?
Dragons thought he had potential as a second rower, especially when he bulked up.

Top Bottom