1. 1995Warriorsfan
    Join:
    Feb 22, 2016

1995Warriorsfan Player Agent

Taane Milne
    Taane Milne signed for 2 years.

League: Former Wests Tigers centre Taane Milne signs two-year deal with New Zealand Warriors
    4 Nov, 2018 2:11pm
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Taane Milne played for Fiji in the 2017 Rugby League World Cup. Photo / Getty Images

Former Wests Tigers centre Taane Milne has been given an NRL lifeline by the New Zealand Warriors, signing a two-year deal with the club.

The Sunday Telegraph reported the deal, which stemmed from a handwritten letter sent by Milne to Warriors coach Stephen Kearney.

Milne was sacked by the Tigers during the 2018 NRL season after turning in a second positive drug test. His note to Kearney was simple.

"I told him I'm not a drug addict," Milne told the Telegraph. "I wrote to him — spelling errors and all — telling him that I wanted to play in the NRL again. That I owned up to my errors and I was on the right track. I knew I could offer something to the club."

According to the Telegraph, Warriors skipper Roger Tuivasa-Sheck reached out to offer support, as did the man who recruited Milne to the Roosters earlier in his career, Warriors recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan.

Milne leaves for New Zealand today will start pre-season training with the Warriors tomorrow.

The 23-year-old was born in Auckland and has represented Fiji on six occasions, and realises the opportunity he has been given at the Warriors after his mistake with the Tigers led him to a "wake-up call".

"I don't have a drug problem," Milne said. "I made a mistake. A really costly one and I embarrassed myself and my family. I felt so much embarrassment.

"It was my fault though and I can't blame anyone else. I did this to me. But I have learnt so much. I've grown up. I had a really good job and I lost it all.

"I thought my NRL career was done and people would just remember as a guy who had a drug problem. I want to use this to help people. Only now am I comfortable speaking about what I did.

"Alcohol was a factor and I've been off it for months. I've made a promise to myself not to drink the entire pre-season."

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2018
  2. playdaball
    Join:
    Apr 23, 2012

playdaball Heritage Member

We’ve got a few centres then. Should they off load Ayshford?

3. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Wow wasnt expecting an outside back but that's a good signing- checkered history tho- hopefully corvo can get the best out of him coz he is a gun player.

4. playdaball
    Join:
    Apr 23, 2012

Especially one with a drug ban

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Has that ended? It's a high risk high reward scenario.
    He's a real rough diamond.

6. Blain
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Blain 1st Grade Fringe

Think he'd be in the top 30? On playing ability yes, but will need to earn it. Might be a good thing for him getting out of Sydney. Would prefer Herbert, maybe we're getting Milne instead?

Maybe they aren't keen on Kata next season.

7. Afakasi247
    Join:
    Mar 5, 2014

Afakasi247 1st Grade Fringe

Similar signing to Hiku last season, different circumstance.

If he pulls his head in, could be a coup signing - he was a gun player coming up who hit a huge road block.

Sounds like the Club has the right environment to help him on the road back to redemption.

Bye bye Kata (fingers crossed).

8. Akkerz
    Join:
    Jun 22, 2012

Akkerz 1st Grade Fringe

A promising player for sure and should be a good pick up by the Warriors if he can get his shit together. SK and O'Sullivan offering him another chance. It's up to Milne what he makes of it.

9. CompletionRate
    Join:
    Sep 13, 2015

CompletionRate 1st Grade Fringe

Looks like my man was on the money about Milne. Handy Pickup and should be pushing for a spot which should light a fire under Hiku, Beale and Kata..

For match payments too which is always healthy for the club.

10. Paulo24
    Join:
    Mar 3, 2014

Paulo24 Warriors Bench Player

I’d have him over Kata. Strong robust and can break a tackle as well as PASS to his winger.

Surely they’ll let Ayshford go early next year?

11. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Good luck to Milne.

Reading his comments about not being a drug addict, I don't think he 'gets it' the problem isn't addiction, the problem is engaging in risk behaviour that totally stuffs up something great you had.

Not to say that he won't get it eventually he's young and people do shit it is the way of it.

Right Center not left from memory, so Kata's probably still safe.

I am trying to think of a charity case that we got right and there was a middle of the road Aussie Halfback with booze and pills problems...always forget his name...Brett Seymour (Wiki'd it) mind you he was rumoured to be the supplier of drugs to the ill fated Kiwis WC squad.

Milnes a big Center with pace and footwork, pretty fancy hands in some situations his defence sucks...but don't all Centers...in others he excels in smashing people.

Hope it all works out I don't mind we are having a go.

He was highly rated at the Dragons who were sorry to see him leave for the Tigers, then the inconsistency and troubles basically stuffed his potential somewhat.

He is an NRL player, not an ISP player.

23 ?

12. CompletionRate
    Join:
    Sep 13, 2015

CompletionRate 1st Grade Fringe

The club is going to either low-ball Kata or let him walk. Milne is their safety if Kata does go..

13. JaggedJ
    Join:
    Apr 19, 2018

JaggedJ 1st Grade Fringe

Low risk, high reward type signing, but a few stories I saw coming out about his attitude to training and in general weren't pretty.

Hopefully his actions speak louder than his words otherwise this will probably be the most of a mention he gets in these parts.

14. JaggedJ
    Join:
    Apr 19, 2018

JaggedJ 1st Grade Fringe

Both Fus and SK have said that centre is where Fus will end up. Of course that doesn't always eventuate, but the more things change the harder it is to see Kata having a long term future with us.

15. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

One of the best in and always in the game, we’ll all be crossing our fingers and hoping our he can keep his shit together from here.

16. Horriors2013
    Join:
    May 24, 2013

Horriors2013 1st Grade Fringe

Shaun Metcalfe didn't work out playing-wise for us, but he seemed to get his life on track as far as I know. Corey Webster seems to be ok-to use a basketball equivalent. I think it helps young people more to be given chances than if we just left them on the scrap heap. Look at Gavet and Matagi.

When the self-esteem rises, when other people show faith and trust, eventually young people get there. I'm good with it. He's still young. The humble manner in which he has come to us is different to Kevin Locke's situation. Locke was told he was good very early, and his head seemed to get too big. People don't know a lot about Milne, except the drug thing. There's no pressure for the club to keep him. The onus is all on him to make it happen. it will either make or break him.

I'm happy with that deal.

17. warriors4eva
    Join:
    May 21, 2012

warriors4eva 1st Grade Fringe

The kid is a beast and too much potential to sit in reserve grade.

18. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Is that right? In that case it's not even high risk- it's all upside.
    This has Peter O'Sullivan written all over it.

19. playdaball
    Join:
    Apr 23, 2012

So have they choosen Milne over Herbert?

20. Tony Martin
    Join:
    Jun 4, 2016

Tony Martin 1st Grade Fringe

Unsure on this

Aust schoolboy(RU) two time junior kiwi, one of the best centres in last years World Cup

However

He’s been stung for drugs at two different clubs, he was also playing really poorly for tigers ISP team this year before he was sacked. I’ve read he has a bad attitude and is a poor trainer.

Let’s hope he gives this opportunity a decent crack