General Sup?

warriorschick86

He
Gould wasn't complaining about the cap when pressures at their current clubs enabled him to sign or Sika Manu or Brent Kite for next year.

The 2nd tier cap seems does seem pointless, just have a straight cap, if you want to spread it over 20, 25 or 35 players then thats the teams choice.
Then any U20's or Q-Cup, NSW cup players you call upon if injury strikes can only be paid a minimum exception outside of the cap based on how many weeks they are in the playing 17.

You could argue that a sort of black market luxury tax has existed, where players are paid in boats, cars, houses, paper bags full of cash whatever, the club (or their backers) are still spending, but all the excess goes to the player or their agent rather than back to the NRL.

A "soft" cap like the NBA would be terrible IMO, it would enable players to force their way to whichever club they like, imagine if star player X is unhappy at his cellar dwelling club and wants to be part of premiership contender at the rabbitohs, if they don't have to fit under a hard cap, all Rusty and the club has to do is meet his wage demands - done deal.

This is a bit off topic, but i was watching some of the 2008 warriors storm upset not long ago and the team the storm were trotting out was:

B.Slater, A.Quinn, S.Turner, I.Folau, M.Geyer, G.Inglis, C.Cronk, C.Smith, B.White, J.Lima, R.Hoffman, M.Crocker, D.Johnson, A.Kaufusi, S.Manu, J.Smith, A.Blair

That is 4 Kiwis and 13 Origin Players (Matt Geyer is kind of cheat as he hadn't played origin in years and Folau was just starting out). WTF is that!

I think a hard cap is the only thing preventing the roosters or rabbits or whoever gets delusions of glory from re-creating a rep team masquerading as a club side.
Of course it took 2 years for them to figure out what the storm were up to even with a hard cap.
Hey eudebrito, what's up?