General Storm centre Nielsen signed by Vodafone Warriors

Reaction score
Spence

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
Reaction score
slide.jpg

Link warriors.co.nz

Melbourne Storm and Queensland Origin centre Dane Nielsen will join the Vodafone Warriors on a three-year contract after the 2012 NRL season.
The Mackay-born 26-year-old excelled in 2011 when he twice played for the Maroons and has again been a key contributor for the unbeaten Storm this year, notably scoring a double in their 32-14 Anzac Day win over the Vodafone Warriors at AAMI Park.
Confirming Nielsen’s signing today, Vodafone Warriors recruitment and development manager Dean Bell said the club was excited to secure a centre of such quality from the NRL’s leading side.
“He’ll bring a lot to the Vodafone Warriors through his experience with such a strong club like the Storm and through playing Origin football,” he said.
“It’s a huge positive for us to secure a ranking Origin player and getting one who has played with three of the best players in the game – Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith – as well as learning so much through a coach of Craig Bellamy’s ability.”
A Torres Strait Islander, Nielsen said the key appeal about signing for the Vodafone Warriors was the depth of young talent at the club and the tough brand of football the side plays.
“One of the things I really like is that there are so many good young players coming through the club,” he said from Melbourne today.
“I also like the way the Warriors play. They always give the Storm a tough time whether we play them here or in Auckland. We’ve had some great games between the two clubs “
Nielsen said he wasn’t bothered at all about moving out of Australia.
“I’ve been living away from home since I was 18 or 19. I’ve been in Sydney and now Melbourne so it’s not an issue for me at all,” he said.
“I’ve got this year to worry about first but then I’ll be looking forward to coming to a new city and a new club and doing all I can to help on the field and off it.”
Ironically Nielsen will get an early taste of Vodafone Warriors members and fans when he comes to his future home base within a matter of weeks of signing; the Storm play their 13th-round clash against the Vodafone Warriors at Mount Smart Stadium on June 03.
Nielsen made his NRL debut with the Cronulla Sharks in 2007 before joining Melbourne in 2008. He played on the wing for the Storm in the 2009 grand final against Parramatta.
Last year he featured 24 times for the Storm as they won the minor premiership before being beaten by the Vodafone Warriors in the preliminary final.
Last night Nielsen made his eighth appearance of the 2012 campaign in Melbourne’s 44-10 win against Penrith, its ninth straight win of the year.
While Nielsen has been signed the Vodafone Warriors are also looking to retain the club’s longest-serving current player Jerome Ropati. Discussions are expected to be concluded soon.

DANE NIELSEN
Date of Birth: June 10, 1985
Birthplace: Mackay, Queensland
Junior Club: Norths Devils
Position: Centre
Height: 188cm
Weight: 97kg
Other Teams: Melbourne Storm (2008-2012), Cronulla Sharks (2007)
Rep Honours: Two matches for Queensland 2011
NRL Debut: Cronulla v Manly, Toyota Park, July 20, 2007 (Round 19)
NRL Career: 65 appearances, 2007-2012
NRL Points: 88 (22 tries)

Reaction score
Swanley

Swanley

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
This is a great signing.....

Reaction score
Sebastian

Sebastian

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Almost surreal. Even though nothing in life is set in stone. This guy is qual-a-tay.. Class enough to become the SOO centre behind Inglis. We needed this, not even on a signing level. Just because we've had so much success. Have one of the best halfbacks in the comp, still only young, yet already played in a grand final. We've got the consecutive junior champions oozing with classy young blood. So we had a lot of boxes ticked, yet had no signings. This just completes the puzzle. And solves the one area we needed to achieve depth. Hurrell + Nielsen. Wowski. Not to mention possibly Carlos, Omar, Inu, Ropati and the defensive suprise of the 2012 season Benry. We'll lose some of those players but hopefully not many. Keeping the depth strong.

Reaction score
Xt1ncT

Xt1ncT

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Very happy with this signing.

We needed an experienced centre. And of the ones off contract he's probably the best.

Then add the young blood coming through and getting experience via the Vulcans I think it bodes well.

Good with Warriors

Reaction score
Tyrael

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Great signing. I wonder who they will drop now. Probably no room for Inu anymore.

Reaction score
rugged

rugged

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Good news. I mean I had been hoping we could have been the team to bring folou back but that was just a dream. This is a pretty darn good second scenario

Reaction score
Numbnutsnz

Numbnutsnz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Fantastic signing.

Reaction score
Gee

Gee

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
More good news for the club. A great signing . Does this seal Inu's fate ? Looks like he is very much on the outer.

Reaction score
Mixmasterreece

Mixmasterreece

Heritage Member
Reaction score
Genuinely surprised by this. We nearly Signed him 2 years ago so seems our wish has come true. Last I heard he wasnt interested and the sharks were gonna snare him.Makes The talk of the club being very cautious about resigning ropati a little more real now.

Omar announcement should come this week.

And Now surely people will give this ranger fantasy a rest.

Reaction score
Xt1ncT

Xt1ncT

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Omar announcement should come this week.
can't see us keeping Omar. Simply too many people ahead of him. Even if we wanted to, he'll go where he can get game time.

Not sure that's the bunnies with GI playing so well at FB though.

Reaction score
MarkW

MarkW

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Great news. Dane is quality.

I reckon they'll keep Ropo (for the 100k cap credit) and unload Inu.

Reaction score

Buck777

This is a good signing. I heard last night that the Warriors were signing a centre possibly from the storm. I was going to post the 'rumour' but due to being the same source as the Rene Ranger signing, I didn't lol.
Happy about this, wish we could have him now.

Reaction score
Blain

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Wow, this is a sweet signing!! I like the thought of a bigger centre, who isnt a second rower. Will we unload Inu before seasons end? Or keep him for wing cover.. I hope this means a Hurrell/Nielson combo. I think we will need to lose either Ropati or Inu, they wont be required as much as they should be.

Reaction score

Buck777

Hard one. Pros Ropati, can play centre and fullback, cons twilight career player , handling and has howlers now and again, Inu pros play centre or wing, can win semis and be a freak, cons other than twilight- same as Ropati.

Reaction score

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
He's a very good defensive center, and certainly wont let us down in that department.
The attacking side of his game is average to solid at best, so he wont be winning us many games... but he sure as hell wont cost us any.

Hope we didn't pay too much for him.

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

Reaction score
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
If we keep Ropo we get another $100k of cap and he can be a good attacking threat when he is on his game. He also covers the fullback position well and I seem to remember him covering lock and stand-off in the past?

Reaction score
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Inu is probably on the outer, which is a shame as he is hugely talented (when he wants to be.)

Reaction score

Danpatmac

when i look at next year I can't help but wish we had given Omar a shot.
If he is gone then I will cry.

Locke, Fish, Tupou, Manu, Ropati, Henry, Neilsen will be the backs on contract with Inu and Omar elsewhere most likely?

I think Omar will be a star elsewhere either as a FB or wing, where as we have kept a stock standard player in Tupou and the enigma that is Ropati (although coaches seem to see him as anything but an enigma)

I don't really get it.

Top Bottom