Tau Hoa_old

Kav

The story was about renewing Prices contract not about firing Wiki before his had expired.

You see you didnt understand the original story.

Should the warriors re-sign Price or let him go?

Answer: naaah, dont renew his contract.

The Warriors dont need him as badly as people think.

If Wiki says he wants to renew his contract when it expires then I will comment on it and unfortunately not favourably.

Kav_old

Tau Hoa said:
Kav

The story was about renewing Prices contract not about firing Wiki before his had expired.

If Wiki says he wants to renew his contract when it expires then I will comment on it and unfortunately not favourably.

Yah but Wiki has been re-signed for another year ie 2008.
That was a mistake to my mind.
Dropping Price at the end of 2007 would be worsening the sitiuation imo (if he is still performing as he did in 2006). I would need the signing of a classy ouside back to convince me that Price should go as this is where we are weakest.
By the way, part of my initial reply should have read " (I'm NOT trying to put you down - sorry about that).

Kav

Kav

sebastian_old

Kav said:
Tau Hoa said:
Kav

Dropping Price at the end of 2007 would be worsening the sitiuation imo (if he is still performing as he did in 2006). I would need the signing of a classy ouside back to convince me that Price should go as this is where we are weakest.
By the way, part of my initial reply should have read " (I'm NOT trying to put you down - sorry about that).

Kav

Kav

I agree Price should've been resigned & Wiki let go, but anyways too late for that now Wiki's already resigned.

Jesbass_old

Kav said:
Tau Hoa said:
Kav

Kav

Kav

Lol, I saw that and it made me do a second take. I never thought you were one to intentionally put someone down, lol!

Tau Hoa_old

A year is a long time in rugby league.

Price knows it, Wiki knows it and for mind so does the public.

If the warriors do consider a 1 year option then obviously they must consider; is there anything new he can bring to the table that we havent seen already.

Can he lift his game a couple of notches more this year, let alone the following year.

Remember we're not looking at this year, we're looking at next year.

BLACKALLOVER_old

Your last sentence is the key here Tau Hoa.
12 months is a long time.

The thing is two-fold imo.
One is can we afford both. The answer to that is easily answered. NO.
The second is were we a bit hasty in re-signing Wiki. The answer there is clearly, and once again, only my opinion, being YES.

Do I have a preference. Yes.
And it goes to Price.

Wiki, for all his greatness is a leader of the highest qualities, but, and that is a big but, his days of facing the rigours of the battlefield are quietly numbered. His presence is his main factor.

Price on the other hand offers a lot more in leadership. One being, and its here where he gets my vote, is the length of time he stays on the field.
His communications with officialdom, his fitness levels, belies his age.
There is not a shadow of a doubt in my mind, that his standards would not drop sufficiently enough, to where his efforts would go unnoticed.Or on the other side, noticed enough, to realise he is lagging the chain.
The bottom line now is, that Wiki has been re-signed, I can live with that.
We cannot afford Price, so lets make this year a year where we start grooming a replacement.

milcr_old

BLACKALLOVER said:
We cannot afford Price, so lets make this year a year where we start grooming a replacement.

I think this is the point we have all been missing. Yes Price is one of the Warriors best players week in week out, but at the end of the day, the Warriors is a business!! As I said earlier it doesnt seem to make much sense signing a player of $300,000 for a season when we already have a player with a similiar ability (Wiki) on a similiar salary!! That extra $300,000 could be used to secure two young props!

Obvisiously I would have preferred signing Price instead of Wiki, but that is done now and theres no point spending a lot of $$ on a player for a one year contract where we have sufficient depth when this $$ could be used elsewhere!

Skinny_Ravs82

milcr said:
BLACKALLOVER said:

I think this is the point we have all been missing. Yes Price is one of the Warriors best players week in week out, but at the end of the day, the Warriors is a business!! As I said earlier it doesnt seem to make much sense signing a player of $300,000 for a season when we already have a player with a similiar ability (Wiki) on a similiar salary!! That extra $300,000 could be used to secure two young props!

Obvisiously I would have preferred signing Price instead of Wiki, but that is done now and theres no point spending a lot of $$ on a player for a one year contract where we have sufficient depth when this $$ could be used elsewhere!

Like where? Another junior that may not get a run for a while?!

milcr_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
Like where? Another junior that may not get a run for a while?!

You cant be serious skinny!! Are you saying you'd rather the Warriors spend over $300,000 for a player, for one season, when we already have sufficient depth in that position AND given we have already spent the same amount on Wiki for one season!!

Everyone groans and moans about young NZers leaving to play for Australian clubs. This $ could be used to sign an up and coming NZ kid who could be a future star for the Warriors.

Another junior who may not get a run for a while?? Given your fanatisim over Grant Rovelli this statement would appear rather ridicious! The Warriors hired Rovelli not knowing whether hed be up to the standard of NRL, yet as a Junior he was a great purchase and has shone at the club and at NRL level. The same could be said for the likes of Laukai, Webb, Fai, Anderson, Vuna, Ah Van etc etc, the Warriors hired these young players and put their faith in the coaching staff and from what they saw to turn them into stars. The $$ we would secure by not signing Price would aid the FUTURE of the club not just one year in a position where we already have sufficient depth and proven players of quality!

Jesbass_old

Price keen to see out NRL career at Warriors

By STEVE KILGALLON
From: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaystartimes/3958060a6444.html

The Warriors have already opened contract talks with players for 2008, even though the 2007 season is still a month away.

And club captain Steve Price has already told the club he would like to stay one more season, and finish his career at Mt Smart in 2008.

Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah met with the Warriors' off-contract players last week to get an early indication of their intentions, and to outline the club's position - and Price says all suggested they wanted to stay.

His original three-year deal with the club expires at the end of this season, but the rising 33-year-old wants to stay longer, and is hoping the club will soon open negotiations on a career-ending one-year extension.

"It's up to the club, but I am really confident and very excited and I feel I could play another season and do another off-season at the highest level," Price said. "I don't want to embarrass myself or be in a situation where I don't give my very best, but I am confident I will be able to produce this season and next. Whether the club wants to do that or not, I can't answer.

"I've spoken to guys who have retired and they say if you still have that fire in your belly and still playing well and you retire, you will regret not continuing if you knew you had it in you. But you don't want to embarrass yourself and carry on if you don't have the passion to keep improving yourself."

Price thinks early indications are the club will come up with another deal. He would prefer not to go to England, he would not rule out finishing his career in Super League if the Warriors did not come up with an extension. The difficulty would be in settling and returning from England within a 12-month span, or committing to a two-year deal.

Price says he is as excited about this season.

"When I first got here, the club were honestly in the lowest point they could have been, morale was very low, there was so much happening across the club and over a very short period of time, the player roster was changing very quickly.

"There are only five or six guys left from that (2005) squad in only two years, which is unbelievable. If you had told me that two years ago I would have laughed my head off. The guys that have left are mostly internationals and if you told me that would have happened and we were still a top-eight chance I would nearly have laughed at you again."

Price and front row partner Ruben Wiki seem likely to finish their careers simultaneously at the end of next season - opening the way for 18-year-old Foxton prop Russell Packer, considered the best teenage Kiwi prop prospect.

"These guys (Packer and fellow youngster Sam Rapira) are throwing around weights similar to what me and Ruben are doing and it has taken us 14 years to get there, and they've still got some growth. Over the next two or three years I think we will see some really exciting talent unearthed, people who will be household names for a long time at the Warriors."

The Warriors will get no domestic "away" games this season, with the Wests Tigers following Parramatta's lead in scrapping their annual New Zealand-based home game.

The Eels' regular match at Waikato Stadium in Hamilton was canned late last year.

The Tigers have now axed their game at Jade Stadium in Christchurch, meaning the Warriors will play on the usual home and away basis in 2007.

Jesbass_old

Nothing new, but good to hear in greater detail.

It's interesting that everyone who is off contract at the end of 2007 is keen to stay on. That must be a credit to the new atmosphere at the club.

*Kimmy*_old

I hope like hell they offer him a contract!!

Cos im deadset on him stay for another year after this year. I've already set it in my mind, hes retiring next year at the warriors, not where we can't see his last ever game!!..aww im getting all sad now :(

Skinny_Ravs82

Nothing new, but good to hear in greater detail.

It's interesting that everyone who is off contract at the end of 2007 is keen to stay on. That must be a credit to the new atmosphere at the club.
Yeah definitely agree with ya there.

sebastian_old

I believe the club has to resign him, Price has been the main factor in the rise of the warriors. Our young forwards would reep massive benifits with one more year of Price's guidence. He must be resigned!

Matrix_old

Totally agree we need to have his experience for the 2008 season which would benefit the young props coming through
After 2008 i can see him moving into some kind of off field position within the warriors too as he has such a professional manner & is well respected by both Kiwi's the Australians which has been lacking in previous years

EnterFien_old

Source: NZHerald
Funnily enough it is written by RubenWiki :)

Warriors skipper Steve Price isn't contemplating retirement and is keen to extend his deal at the club beyond the end of the forthcoming season.

The veteran prop, who turns 33 on Monday, is keen to leave a more positive legacy at the club than last year's salary cap breach-wrecked campaign, or the 10-win, 14-loss season that preceded it.

One of the most consistent yardage props in the game on the field and an articulate, media-savvy, sponsor-friendly operator off it, Price was seen as the man to cure the ills that led to the fall from grace of 2004.

His job has hardly been easy, and it sure isn't finished.

"I'd love to play another season but I am very aware as well that things can change overnight," he said.

"Whilst I feel great at the moment, that can certainly change. But if the club is willing to give me another year and we can work it out then I'll certainly go for another year."

If Price can keep carrying the ball with the effectiveness that has characterised his career, there's every chance the club will offer him an extension, says chief executive Wayne Scurrah.

"We'd be very keen to see how he goes and, all going well, I would very much love to see him stay at the club. He has been terrific."

Age certainly shouldn't prove a barrier. Price's propping mate Ruben Wiki is a year older and is already contracted by the club through to the end of the 2008 season.

Wiki's situation is clearly a factor in Price's outlook. When he talks of his motivation for staying at a club that has brought him financial reward, but little else, he invariably mentions Wiki in the same breath.

"When I first came here we were equal last and it was a very, very low morale situation." he said.

"We've come a long way from that day and I am very excited. It was one of the reasons Rubes and I came here - potentially we knew this place was a lot better than it was [at the time]. And we are starting to get to the place we know the club should be at."

But Price is fully aware many pairs of eyes will be trained on him in the early part of the season to see whether age has in fact wearied him.

If he can last two more seasons he'll likely join an elite band of players with 300 first grade games to their name. But even with 259 games to his credit, he knows he still has to prove himself.

"Every year is like that. We have got so many young guys in Ruben's and [my] position that there is always pressure on us.

"That's what the NRL is like. If you rest on your laurels, you are going to get a rude awakening."

danco_old

If Pricey is up too it we should give him another year as he is a great leader as well as a great player,

Jesbass_old

I'd love for him to stay. And even after his career ends, I'd love to see him get an off-field role of some sort.

*Kimmy*_old

I love Pricey!

I have a feeling he'll stick around, the Warriors would be DAMN STUPID not to keep him on playing for another year.

I want to see Pricey play out his career, I don't want it to be in England where i'll never get to see him!