Staff Stephen Kearney

eric

1st Grade Fringe
May 27, 2015
GC
Already half way through the season and he's made no real changes to a losing team. At what point is he going to try something else? This isn't an 82 game NBA season. You simply can't afford to persist with a losing side when there's only 24 games to be played.

4 more losses and that will be 12 for the year. At 12 wins and 12 losses (plus 2 byes) you would be on 28 points. Can anyone honestly see this team getting 7 more wins out of the last 11 games? God no. The season is hanging by a thread and he continues with the players that got the team to 12th spot on the ladder. If he's expecting more out of them, then he's more deluded than I thought.

WarriorBall

Interesting to hear him say "I'm the one who has to make the hard decisions" in reference to picking his side ... So fuck'n make one is what I'd say to that if I could.

It does raise the question though, I read an interesting post on this thread around how much player power is at the club, with that in mind has he got the stones to drop a senior player, and if so what kind of backlash would it create bearing in mind this isn't the Kiwi's were talking about, these guys play together week in week out.

We're entering territory now where every game we lose where he hasn't made changes just builds more tension and knowing this club with it's mental fragility something is bound to snap.

The same thing happened last year around this time when things got hard and players weaknesses were exposed in a very public way.

I can sense another breaking point coming, whether that takes the shape of player's misbehaving or something else entirely who could say but only wins will prevent the pressure release valve blowing from here.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Would also question Wiki and Iro effectiveness.
My guess is that JD is continually questioning everybody's effectiveness. They will all have KPI's set in stone.

If I recall Wiki was inherited from the deal they did when they signed him as a player, so I don't know how JD views him. Having said that Wiki was a real Roger Tuivasa-Sheck type as a player, always did the extras and was a fearsome player to contend with, maybe less when he was playing for the Warriors, but then so was SK. Those two were team mates and my guess is if SK wants him he will stay.

Iro was always a very focused professional, unlike his brother who probably had more natural talent. He knows the Sydney scene backwards, and will have plenty of contacts there. He also speaks his mind and if I recall got dumped from SkyTV for criticising the Warriors management years back, I think during the Mick Watson era.

He was JD's appointment after Bell got the sack.
I read an interesting post on this thread around how much player power is at the club, with that in mind has he got the stones to drop a senior player, and if so what kind of backlash would it create bearing in mind this isn't the Kiwi's were talking about, these guys play together week in week out.
I don't think SK gives a flying feck about upsetting anybody in the squad. However JD has said many times we don't have the number of "professional" players we need at the club. That really reduces SK's chances of dropping people, if the replacement bombs out not from lack of trying but from inexperience at the top level he still has an under performing player, and maybe with less confidence than before.

Don't worry, Hoffman and Thompson are gone, and they know it. They should be playing for a contract somewhere else but they don't seem to be.

WarriorBall

My guess is that JD is continually questioning everybody's effectiveness. They will all have KPI's set in stone.

If I recall Wiki was inherited from the deal they did when they signed him as a player, so I don't know how JD views him. Having said that Wiki was a real Roger Tuivasa-Sheck type as a player, always did the extras and was a fearsome player to contend with, maybe less when he was playing for the Warriors, but then so was SK. Those two were team mates and my guess is if SK wants him he will stay.

Iro was always a very focused professional, unlike his brother who probably had more natural talent. He knows the Sydney scene backwards, and will have plenty of contacts there. He also speaks his mind and if I recall got dumped from SkyTV for criticising the Warriors management years back, I think during the Mick Watson era.

He was JD's appointment after Bell got the sack.

I don't think SK gives a flying feck about upsetting anybody in the squad. However JD has said many times we don't have the number of "professional" players we need at the club. That really reduces SK's chances of dropping people, if the replacement bombs out not from lack of trying but from inexperience at the top level he still has an under performing player, and maybe with less confidence than before.

Don't worry, Hoffman and Thompson are gone, and they know it. They should be playing for a contract somewhere else but they don't seem to be.

I think your both right and wrong, on the one hand I've heard Kearney say a number of times recently that he's concerned about the dropping players and the effect that'll have on the side and we're not talking about Gubb's & Vete here, we're talking senior guys.

Your right about who the coaches believe they can bring in, Stacey was on Radiosport after the loss to the Eels saying they felt they didn't have many options to bring into the side which is hard for anyone to hear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bruce

Mr Frank White

Warriors 1st Grader
May 19, 2012
The problem for us is that we don't have the quality of depth required to replace the guys that are under performing. We never have.

That's why I've been throwing up names like Tagataese and Grant as suggestions on the recruitment thread. Other clubs have a good mix of experienced campaigners and talented youth fighting it out in their reserve teams. The young guys keep the experienced guys on their toes and the old heads teach the young guys about playing against men.

imo depth is still our major issue and something kearney will have to learn to address if we're gonna be a consistently competitive team.
Not like we are winning anyway, so what could it hurt?
Rather seem then lose with pride, than the current tripe..

Reactions: Hadyn

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings