Staff Stephen Kearney

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Defence is improving.

Are you sure about that? last time i checked we were 3rd worst defensive team in the comp. And we let in +30 points to a very ordinary team in the weekend. How is any of that an improvement?

SK had the backing of snr management at Parra. Time and time again they were publicly backing him and his performance while the fans were calling for blood.

Reactions: Defence

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
I think we may find a spot will leave at season end when possibly his contract expires (is he out of contract).

Amongst the already know departures you may see Thompson, Manu leave.

I would also move on Kata. He cannot pass and lacks the pace and quality we need as a centre.

Would also question Wiki and Iro effectiveness.

Reactions: Woofa and Akkerz

ttkk19

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 21, 2013
Are you sure about that? last time i checked we were 3rd worst defensive team in the comp. And we let in +30 points to a very ordinary team in the weekend. How is any of that an improvement?

SK had the backing of snr management at Parra. Time and time again they were publicly backing him and his performance while the fans were calling for blood.

The structure defs looks like its improving, teams used to be able to score really easily once they got into our attacking 20. Throw some simple shapes and BOOMFA 4 points no worries.

These days its the individual errors that are costing us. Kata jamming in on the wrong player, Bodene's missed tackle and Johnson's shitty kick were all reasons we conceded points on the weekend. Once we sort those problems out we should look a lot sharper and the scoreline should reflect that.

hoolioh

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2016
Hamz
"The MAJOR issue at the Warriors lies with the leadership - or lack thereof - of the senior player group. There is a fundamental flaw within that clique that is apparently very hard to identify at first as it is deep seeded and because the playing group is full of genuinely nice people. However, the reality is that the aspiration of the senior long-term players (who are the constant throughout all the change and inconsistent performance) to influence the culture and lead is approximately zero. Apparently, they are good guys and have talent but they don't want to take responsibility. Nor do they want others to step up around them and grow a constructive environment. Hence, external players are now being picked as leaders: Hoffman and TVS, for example. Shaun Johnson tried to step up and bring some genuine intent to lead and he was pushed back on because of his approach as it made the established players feel uncomfortable. Whenever a coach has cottoned onto this pattern and tried to change this lethargic aspirational culture by pushing them to uncomfortable places, the senior players have the ear of ownership. History shows their complaints are heard."

This post is 100% on the money. The senior players set the standard the coach can only do so much. As for the coach not swinging the axe that's definitely letting the tumour fester. How can you grow an develop the young players in this team when the veterans refuse to take ownership of the fact that they should be leading from the front.

Maddog

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 12, 2013
There are some good points being made by both sides of the SK discussion.

That Panthers 2nd half meltdown has hurt SK's "process". If it wasn't for that capitulation things might be a little different.. I do believe things were improving up till that point. The Players confidence took a massive dent. If you look at the competition as a whole only really Manly, St George and the Roosters have improved their performances from last Season. Same Top 2 teams lead the comp. Only the Bulldogs, Raiders and Panthers have gone backwards. (Don't count Cowboys, Thurston factor)

Despite the acquisition of Foran, this team is in a rebuilding phase. If you look at a team like Manly. They were in a similar rebuilding stage last Season. Trent Barrett was under the pump but fixed the weaknesses in his squad and now they're competing.

SK needs similar time. Unfortunately he doesn't have better tools at his disposal yet. I do believe Harris and Pulu are ungrades on Thompson and Hoffman. But he'll need a couple more additional forwards and maybe a centre before this team is competing. I'm positive SK has the mind and personality to be a successful coach. He has more experience and lives and breathes RL more than us keyboard hunters. He knows the issues in this club/squad. He knows what it takes to be successful in the NRL.

Yes, his public persona is annoying and he might what to improve that but the guy needs time and we don't need another bloody coach! (Yet)

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
OK, so if this is just a hangover from Cappy. Cool, I look forward to getting better each week as the hangover wears off and the team becomes more and more Kearney's. All the best Stephen :)

One thing that can't be put down to hangovers is selection. My personal favorite is Kata. Last week he gave away the first try and butchered what could have been the last. In between times he danced a couple of jigs and ignored his support. And that was one of his better games this season. The bloke cannot pass or read defense.

Why not as Ken and NKS as our wings and Blake and Fusitua in the centers? Sure NKS had a couple of poor defensive reads, but he is young, teachable, and seems a genuine winger. Kata has proven he isn't teachable. He looks overweight and like he just doesn't want to be there.

Nobody is making Kearney select him. So why?
i actually think that ttkk19 has done a really nice job of explaining the reasons. If i were coach i wouldnt do it, but i can defn accept that SK could have reasons like those articulated and i really cant think of anything better.

Reactions: bruce

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
There are some good points being made by both sides of the SK discussion.

That Panthers 2nd half meltdown has hurt SK's "process". If it wasn't for that capitulation things might be a little different.. I do believe things were improving up till that point. The Players confidence took a massive dent. If you look at the competition as a whole only really Manly, St George and the Roosters have improved their performances from last Season. Same Top 2 teams lead the comp. Only the Bulldogs, Raiders and Panthers have gone backwards. (Don't count Cowboys, Thurston factor)

Despite the acquisition of Foran, this team is in a rebuilding phase. If you look at a team like Manly. They were in a similar rebuilding stage last Season. Trent Barrett was under the pump but fixed the weaknesses in his squad and now they're competing.

SK needs similar time. Unfortunately he doesn't have better tools at his disposal yet. I do believe Harris and Pulu are ungrades on Thompson and Hoffman. But he'll need a couple more additional forwards and maybe a centre before this team is competing. I'm positive SK has the mind and personality to be a successful coach. He has more experience and lives and breathes RL more than us keyboard hunters. He knows the issues in this club/squad. He knows what it takes to be successful in the NRL.

Yes, his public persona is annoying and he might what to improve that but the guy needs time and we don't need another bloody coach! (Yet)
honestly most of the time i dont watch the aftermatch talking heads, simply because if ive seen it myself and they failed to win, then i dont expect the coach to do anything but have a go at the onfield ref (which almost never happens). I would hope any quality coach would keep things calm and answer questions with polite but bland bullshit. Very much like Bellamy and Bennett do. Expression and honesty should only be in house.

Reactions: Maddog and bruce

Leaguegod

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 24, 2015
I think we may find a spot will leave at season end when possibly his contract expires (is he out of contract).

Amongst the already know departures you may see Thompson, Manu leave.

I would also move on Kata. He cannot pass and lacks the pace and quality we need as a centre.

Would also question Wiki and Iro effectiveness.
Kata just doesn't get involved like he should, Kata should handle in every set and I believe he should just pick and go from dummy half especially from kick returns, and Kearney needs to play his young forwards more minutes, but it isn't going to happen so who gives a fuck!

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
Kearney is just the latest in a long line of coaches that have tried to turn the Warriors into a regimented, 'process'-orientated team when that approach has been proven to fail time after time. The only way to get this side to perform is to imbue them with confidence, drill them monotonously in high pressure, high fatigue training environments so they possess above par skills, give them an aggressive, out-of-the box game plan, and get the squad balance right between talented young guns and old hard-head bastards ... then set them on their way and hope for the best. Ok, so it's the Daniel Anderson formula for success, but it worked.
I think you're bang on here. How many of a squad of 17 are genuinely able to take all the process stuff into their heads and onto the pitch, they probably haven't the brain power (apologies to those that have). Keep it simple

• Haha
Reactions: Sup42

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
This is not SK's fault. This is the players, and the players alone. He has been here for half a season. This bullshit has been going on IMO since 2012, 6 fucking years. Sure, there are probably things he can improve on, but at the end of the day it's those 17 players that cross the line & go out to to battle and are not putting in 100%. We need to stop sacking coaching staff and hold these kittens accountable - for too long they've copped out and sacked the coaches, who are clearly NOT the issue.

Leaguegod

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 24, 2015
This is not SK's fault. This is the players, and the players alone. He has been here for half a season. This bullshit has been going on IMO since 2012, 6 fucking years. Sure, there are probably things he can improve on, but at the end of the day it's those 17 players that cross the line & go out to to battle and are not putting in 100%. We need to stop sacking coaching staff and hold these kittens accountable - for too long they've copped out and sacked the coaches, who are clearly NOT the issue.
So why is Hoffman still there? week in and week out, he is leaving so why not drop his moaning to reserve grade and give our youngsters big minutes? I would call this SK's fault.

Tedster

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 29, 2014
So why is Hoffman still there? week in and week out, he is leaving so why not drop his moaning to reserve grade and give our youngsters big minutes? I would call this SK's fault.
It is SK's fault in some respect, he has the call to drop the non-performing ones but won't so in that respect he does need to take blame. It really peeves me off that the same non performers get selected and continue to non perform yet surely he has the call to put in an Afoa for Thompson (just an example) or CNK for Kata and yet he persists with the same team. We all may have difference of opinions on a lot of things on this forum but you got to admit that most consensous is Thompson and probably Kata need to go from first grade, surely we all can't be wrong. :rolleyes:

Reactions: BeastMode

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Havn’t invested any mental energy in these dopes over the weekend – but on the coaching front – its pretty hilarious to see the return of the coach is ruining our talentzzz.

You can’t teach cnuts who don’t want to listen or change.

Reactions: Sup42

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Sep 23, 2016
Great to see Justin Hodges calling a spade a spade and suggesting it is time for some Morons to step up or move on. Even though these guys are his Queensland brothers.

https://www.nrl.com/the-maroons-who-must-go-hodges/tabid/10874/newsid/108598/default.aspx

I think this may be the difference between the general Aussie team culture and that of the Warriors.

They know that they need to be at their best to win. So if you are not at your best, legend or not, they understand the interests of the club and jersey must be put above the individual.

At the Warriors we seem to have a selfish culture of looking after the interests of individuals and past players rather than that of the club and fans.

As long as we do this, I fear we will remain without a premiership. Even worse, I think the club may eventually collapse.

We need to start playing for the jersey and stop hiring our mates. We need to start being honest when players and club staff aren't performing. We need to be more like Justin Hodges, more like Aussies.

ttkk19

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 21, 2013
Great to see Justin Hodges calling a spade a spade and suggesting it is time for some Morons to step up or move on. Even though these guys are his Queensland brothers.

https://www.nrl.com/the-maroons-who-must-go-hodges/tabid/10874/newsid/108598/default.aspx

I think this may be the difference between the general Aussie team culture and that of the Warriors.

They know that they need to be at their best to win. So if you are not at your best, legend or not, they understand the interests of the club and jersey must be put above the individual.

At the Warriors we seem to have a selfish culture of looking after the interests of individuals and past players rather than that of the club and fans.

As long as we do this, I fear we will remain without a premiership. Even worse, I think the club may eventually collapse.

We need to start playing for the jersey and stop hiring our mates. We need to start being honest when players and club staff aren't performing. We need to be more like Justin Hodges, more like Aussies.

The problem for us is that we don't have the quality of depth required to replace the guys that are under performing. We never have.

That's why I've been throwing up names like Tagataese and Grant as suggestions on the recruitment thread. Other clubs have a good mix of experienced campaigners and talented youth fighting it out in their reserve teams. The young guys keep the experienced guys on their toes and the old heads teach the young guys about playing against men.

imo depth is still our major issue and something kearney will have to learn to address if we're gonna be a consistently competitive team.

Reactions: mt.wellington

Leaguegod

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 24, 2015

More like Lillyman and Hoffman you mean? Fuck NO!! Lillyman a Moron for the last time, watch his metres drop right away. Fucken bludgers that pair.

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Sep 23, 2016
More like Lillyman and Hoffman you mean?
No. I mean we need to have attitudes more like Aussies. Run our club more like Aussies. That doesn't mean we necessarily need Aussies. Though some good ones would probably help!

Lilyman is actually one of the guys Justin Hodges calls out as being past used by due to being too one dimensional, and I tend to agree.

Reactions: Hadyn

Leaguegod

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 24, 2015
No. I mean we need to have attitudes more like Aussies. Run our club more like Aussies. That doesn't mean we necessarily need Aussies. Though some good ones would probably help!

Lilyman is actually one of the guys Justin Hodges calls out as being past used by due to being too one dimensional, and I tend to agree.
Hodges is about 5 years too late! and it is rather ironic he calls out Lilyman for being one dimensional! dummy half runs all the time ring a bell Justin?

Reactions: frankspence

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings