Staff Stephen Kearney

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Sep 23, 2016
I said this in the game day thread. with the greatest respect, Pull your head in.

Cappi is still an integral part of the team. Saying that the old coach was better than this coach, when hes still there is nuts. If he was that good they wouldnt have gotten rid of him. He was crap. The team is as unprofessional as it is now not because of the new guy they have bought in, but because of the old guy they should have let go. Kearny hasnt been there long enough yet to replace the defective parts of this motor. He already knows who he wants to cut, but isnt able to because of the contracts.

I suspect that a number of players know that they arent getting contracts and when that happens they can go one of two ways. It isnt really a surprise to me that so many are going downhill. It shows their lack of professionalism.

I'm not a Kearney fan and maybe ill come to regret saying all this, as i would rather see him drop big names for under performance. But this is what hes got to play with, there are no miracles on the horizon. If hes going to turn us into the storm or the broncos mark 2 then all power to him. Time for the players to get on board or jump ship.
All I am doing is stating facts. If Kearney is a better coach than Cappy, then given the same or similar roster he should preform better in the long term. I acknowledge that this may take more time. If this requires me to pull my head in I apologize. I will try to censor myself to agree more with the approved status quo (if I can figure out what that is). I trust you will pull yours in should you be proven wrong in the future.

#robbiemears

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 1, 2015
Kearney is just the latest in a long line of coaches that have tried to turn the Warriors into a regimented, 'process'-orientated team when that approach has been proven to fail time after time. The only way to get this side to perform is to imbue them with confidence, drill them monotonously in high pressure, high fatigue training environments so they possess above par skills, give them an aggressive, out-of-the box game plan, and get the squad balance right between talented young guns and old hard-head bastards ... then set them on their way and hope for the best. Ok, so it's the Daniel Anderson formula for success, but it worked.

Yes, it's a different squad now. Yes, the balance of players is all wrong. But the key to unlocking the potential within lies at the top of the food chain and Steve Kearney is NOT the right man for this job. Heard him talk? He's hardly inspiring. In fact, he'd probably put me to sleep if I was forced to listen to him expound upon the path to glory. He's also obsessed with 'process'. Process this, process that. When the team is struggling, just publicly let it be known that they need to get back to the 'process' and all will be forgiven.

Nope, more than anything, this team needs to enjoy their footy again. They look utterly miserable out there: partly because they're playing bland, predictable football; partly because they're losing (again ... and again); and partly because they're finally getting shredded by the fans, who have basically had enough.

I can't think of any players in the Warrior's squad whose game is improving season on season. Most are heading backwards. Look at Johnson. In 2011, he was an exciting, dynamic, creative player bursting with enthusiasm and passion. Today, he just looks lost and, more pointedly, demoralized. His confidence is shot, his flair and natural spark have been coached out of him. It's a travesty.

Kearney should never have been appointed to this role. His track record as a head coach was lousy. And then there's that Kiwi-first mentality that has pervaded the recruitment at the club over the past few years. It's not smart. Look at every successful club in the NRL: they all have a sprinkling of talented Kiwi players, surrounded by hard, competitive Aussies who have battled their way through the grades and will fight for every damn metre.

The Sharks are so tough to beat not because they have the most talented roster but because they're jammed full of absolute mongrels: Gallen, Maloney, Lewis, Bird. These guys HATE to lose, and they set that standard throughout the club. Look at the other leading clubs and you'll see a similar collection of hard-headed bastards who'll do anything for a win.

When the Warriors were winning consistently (the Anderson years), they had guys like Campion, Carlaw, Betham, Jones, Seu Seu, Villasanti, and others, leading the way. They were as hard as nails and dished it out every week.

Contrast that with the soft-skinned Warriors of today. There's barely a fighter amongst them. And therein lies the biggest problem within the team itself: a lack of desire, of desperation, of absolute competitiveness. The mix of players is all wrong. The recruitment has been abysmal.

Marry that endemic issue with poor coaching and bland game plans and you have the recipe for disaster that we see before us today. I've posted this before, but it bears repeating as this season lurches to another calamitous conclusion. I spoke with someone very well placed to comment about the inner dynamics of the Warriors before 2017 even kicked off. This is someone intimately associated with the struggles of the club over the past 4-5 years, who with the benefit of distance, can now dissect what's wrong. He had this to say:

"The MAJOR issue at the Warriors lies with the leadership - or lack thereof - of the senior player group. There is a fundamental flaw within that clique that is apparently very hard to identify at first as it is deep seeded and because the playing group is full of genuinely nice people. However, the reality is that the aspiration of the senior long-term players (who are the constant throughout all the change and inconsistent performance) to influence the culture and lead is approximately zero. Apparently, they are good guys and have talent but they don't want to take responsibility. Nor do they want others to step up around them and grow a constructive environment. Hence, external players are now being picked as leaders: Hoffman and TVS, for example. Shaun Johnson tried to step up and bring some genuine intent to lead and he was pushed back on because of his approach as it made the established players feel uncomfortable. Whenever a coach has cottoned onto this pattern and tried to change this lethargic aspirational culture by pushing them to uncomfortable places, the senior players have the ear of ownership. History shows their complaints are heard."

I suspect we're doomed to years of disappointment, tempered by sporadic rays of sunshine as hopes are lifted briefly then dashed when things get serious again.

The club needs an experienced head to run a broom through it, further clean out the playing roster, bring in the right mix of Aussies, and get the squad playing positive, aggressive, dominating football again. It won't happen under Kearney's watch.

But honestly, who would take that lousy assignment on?

Mr Frank White

Warriors 1st Grader
May 19, 2012
For the record I am / was a SK supporter.
But as others have pointed out the lack of ability to adapt to the squads abilities in order to produce results is telling.

If SK just came and said the the effort was lacking and some players need to work on it he'd have universal support.

But what is this process? The point of the game is to win, and we aren't winning. Not through a lack of skill, but a lack of effort.

Why persist with players who aren't putting in, or aren't going to be here next year.

Otherwise why waste a season fucking around, and then have to rebuild next year.
Start the rebuild now so we are in a better position in 2018

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Sep 23, 2016
The club needs an experienced head to run a broom through it, further clean out the playing roster, bring in the right mix of Aussies, and get the squad playing positive, aggressive, dominating football again. It won't happen under Kearney's watch.

It is looking that way. Thanks for the insight from someone close to the club.

I want to stick my fingers in my ears and believe the many who say we just need a couple of good forwards and we will be good to go. Let's hope they are right.

But everything seems to suggest that there are bigger problems than that.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
ok so lets look at your facts. They were better when Cappi was the coach than now. My point is that Cappi is still there, still coaching. Saying it was better when he was there is stupid. He hasnt left. He is still responsible for what happens on the field. Weve even heard of players looking to him for advice (and not SK) on how he can do better. This dude is one of the reasons that the players are the way they are today. SK may or may not change things, but he didnt create these issues.
I have no idea what the approved status quo is but i can recognise crap when i see it. However i recognise that you have taken offense at my comment so i apologize

• Haha
Reactions: eudebrito

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
ok so lets look at your facts. They were better when Cappi was the coach than now. My point is that Cappi is still there, still coaching. Saying it was better when he was there is stupid. He hasnt left. He is still responsible for what happens on the field. Weve even heard of players looking to him for advice (and not SK) on how he can do better. This dude is one of the reasons that the players are the way they are today. SK may or may not change things, but he didnt create these issues.
I have no idea what the approved status quo is but i can recognise crap when i see it. However i recognise that you have taken offense at my comment so i apologize
Cappy may be off to coach Catalans ( hopefully) probably getting sick of jogging behind the line...

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
Lets be honest Kearney ran a 4 forward bench on the weekend 3 props and an unused hooker. 1 prop played a limited minutes roll, yet they bought in lillyman rather than keeping the prop rotation that won last week and adding a Sipley onto the bench for the limited mins roll. Afoa was also dropped off the bench for what?? Not really sure to be honest, could have been a good option to replace the human mud crab Thompson. Kearney just makes little sense.

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Sep 23, 2016
Thanks for the apology. I did take offense being told to pull my head in when just stating my opinion.

So if we were doing awesome. Would it be down to Cappy?

I suggest that 90% of how they do on the field should be down to the head coach and not the assistant. Sure there will be some hangover from last years, but other coaches have come in and turned around a team straight away after having an off season with them.

Most aspects of the team have become worse IMO under Kearney. Anyone who want to put most of that on McFadden and Kearney has their head in the sand IMO.

Reactions: frankspence

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Thanks for the apology. I did take offense being told to pull my head in when just stating my opinion.

I suggest that 90% of how they do on the field should be down to the head coach and not the assistant. Sure there will be some hangover from last years, but other coaches have come in and turned around a team straight away after having an off season with them.

Most aspects of the team have become worse IMO under Kearney. Anyone who want to put most of that on McFadden and Kearney has their head in the sand IMO.
I think it was Gould who said the assistant coach just puts out the cones

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012

good question.

In my opinion i see it like this. When the team didnt remove cappi from the premises after firing him, they made a massive error. It is the same error that they have been making for some time now. They reward, poor or bad performance with continuity. SK's arrival should have been with a fresh broom. I have seen in work life in my own experience how quickly a team can be destroyed from within by not getting rid of a manager that has been replaced. Sometimes its because they deliberately undercut the new manager. Other times its because they continue with what they always believed was right anyway (working off the idea that they are still doing their best).

Some managers micro manage, and if everythings going well thats fine, some lord it from on high. Both those styles of managers often find it hard to notice someone thats not with the program. There is the balanced manager who knows his team well, and works with them to achieve great results; but in the NRL i think only Bennet and Bellamy come into this level.

Looking at fitness i also think that Wiki should have been removed.

Looking at leadership, I would have chosen to get rid of Mutts and Shaun Johnson. I assume Manu is on the way out but i dont really look to the wings for leadership anyway.

A young team, with fresh faces and the right attitude will go further than superstars who dont care.

Is Cappi the whole problem. No. Is he a big part of it, well previous years results say yes.

Kearney has made some mistakes, but trying to take a crap team and make them better is not the problem. The problem seems to be that the people he relies on to make this happen arent helping. Anyone not helping is a hindrance and therefore should be removed.

If the team were doing awesome, yes it would be credit to Kearney, and the players and his staff (safe answer). But i really dont see it happening until he starts to put the boot in and no new manager starts with that attitude lasts long. This is why i say give him time.

Still a damn good question though

Reactions: mjak123

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Sep 23, 2016
OK, so if this is just a hangover from Cappy. Cool, I look forward to getting better each week as the hangover wears off and the team becomes more and more Kearney's. All the best Stephen :)

One thing that can't be put down to hangovers is selection. My personal favorite is Kata. Last week he gave away the first try and butchered what could have been the last. In between times he danced a couple of jigs and ignored his support. And that was one of his better games this season. The bloke cannot pass or read defense.

Why not as Ken and NKS as our wings and Blake and Fusitua in the centers? Sure NKS had a couple of poor defensive reads, but he is young, teachable, and seems a genuine winger. Kata has proven he isn't teachable. He looks overweight and like he just doesn't want to be there.

Nobody is making Kearney select him. So why?

Reactions: gREVUS

ttkk19

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 21, 2013
OK, so if this is just a hangover from Cappy. Cool, I look forward to getting better each week as the hangover wears off and the team becomes more and more Kearney's. All the best Stephen :)

One thing that can't be put down to hangovers is selection. My personal favorite is Kata. Last week he gave away the first try and butchered what could have been the last. In between times he danced a couple of jigs and ignored his support. And that was one of his better games this season. The bloke cannot pass or read defense.

Why not as Ken and NKS as our wings and Blake and Fusitua in the centers? Sure NKS had a couple of poor defensive reads, but he is young, teachable, and seems a genuine winger. Kata has proven he isn't teachable. He looks overweight and like he just doesn't want to be there.

Nobody is making Kearney select him. So why?

see my last few posts for possible reasons

Reactions: gREVUS

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Steve Kearney is NOT the right man for this job. Heard him talk? He's hardly inspiring. In fact, he'd probably put me to sleep if I was forced to listen to him expound upon the path to glory.

Point One:
Mount Wellington posted a clip from a coaching conference a year or two ago where SK spoke with Wayne Bennett (Bennett was actually on video link).

I agree SK is boring when speaking to the press, that would have been Bennett teaching him. However at this conference he had the audience spellbound with his logic, planning and consideration of culture. I was very impressed, especially with his speaking. The guy is no fool, although he is conservative. I believe he is the best available now.
this team needs to enjoy their footy again. They look utterly miserable out there: partly because they're playing bland, predictable football; partly because they're losing (again ... and again); and partly because they're finally getting shredded by the fans, who have basically had enough.
I can only guess, but I reckon it is because many of the team know their careers at the club are over and are going through the motions. The others are affected by that. It is a simple explanation and the most obvious. It isn't SK's fault, he didn't sign them.
Look at every successful club in the NRL: they all have a sprinkling of talented Kiwi players, surrounded by hard, competitive Aussies who have battled their way through the grades and will fight for every damn metre.
From memory there are enough Kiwi first graders in Sydney to make three full Warriors FG squads. Whose fault it that? Not SK.
The Sharks are so tough to beat not because they have the most talented roster but because they're jammed full of absolute mongrels: Gallen, Maloney, Lewis, Bird. These guys HATE to lose, and they set that standard throughout the club. Look at the other leading clubs and you'll see a similar collection of hard-headed bastards who'll do anything for a win.
The Warriors are probably the opposite of that now. It is SK's job to fix it. The Sharks took a long time to get that squad together as well. I think the club actually approached Shane Flanagan a long time ago but he turned them down.
When the Warriors were winning consistently (the Anderson years), they had guys like Campion, Carlaw, Betham, Jones, Seu Seu, Villasanti, and others, leading the way. They were as hard as nails and dished it out every week.
Campion was a fluke, Jones and Seu Seu were extra special, and both at the club in coaching roles, Villasanti was a tough player but a thief and gambler, Betham was a boxer but punching is banned now. So your point is?
Contrast that with the soft-skinned Warriors of today. There's barely a fighter amongst them. And therein lies the biggest problem within the team itself: a lack of desire, of desperation, of absolute competitiveness. The mix of players is all wrong. The recruitment has been abysmal.
No argument there, everybody can see it. It is pathetic and painful to watch. It isn't SK's fault, he didn't pick the squad. He didn't cause the five years of piss poor management that led to the situation. Yet he has to fix it. Who else do you have in mind?

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
It isn't SK's fault, he didn't pick the squad. He didn't cause the five years of piss poor management that led to the situation. Yet he has to fix it. Who else do you have in mind?

Bruce, dont you know that's exactly the same reasoning used by SK supporters at Parramatta 5 years a go?

It took them two years and a wooden spoon to finally admit they were wrong.

We're half way through the season and can you honestly say we've improved in any facet of our game??

Keep SK but he needs to drop Cappy, blood in the future and make all players accountable. Its that simple. If he cant see the obvious then we really are fucked.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Bruce, dont you know that's exactly the same reasoning used by SK supporters at Parramatta 5 years a go?
He didn't have the support of the club at the time. I remember Peter Leitch saying he advised SK about going there. I doubt even Wayne Bennett would have succeeded at that joint.
We're half way through the season and can you honestly say we've improved in any facet of our game??
Defence is improving. Gavet and Vete are improving, Luke is definitely improving. They are good players who obviously want to stay at the club and are showing it. He doesn't want Hoffman not Thompson so is having to put up with them.
Keep SK but he needs to drop Cappy,
JD failed management 101 on that issue for me. This is a hard game, sorry Cappy go find another job. SK must have agreed with it though and I doubt that is the issue. There is a bro culture at the club that needs sorting. All amputations are painful, especially when they have another two years on their contract.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings