Staff Stephen Kearney

Guvna Mac

I was never of the belief that SK was the answer but slightly hopeful. In reality though who were the other viable options? Does anyone have any knowledge on who else was considered/interested? And who would be interested now is another question to be asked?

WarriorBall

Our on field problems are like a bubble under the carpet, Kearney can stand on it during the week at training but it'll pop up somewhere else on gameday as another issue entirely or the same damn problem.

Our players inability to bring all facets of their game together in a single performance must be incredibly frustrating for not only this coaching staff but the list of coaches that proceeded them.

It comes back to personnel, the playing group, when you experience the same problems over an extended period of time it becomes endemic and that's what we're faced with, so what to do about it?

Here's a story, I noticed a discolouration around a freckle on my calf late last year so I went and had looked at, the doctor was suspicious of it so scheduled me in to have it removed the following week. Having never had this procedure before I was surprised when they removed a chunk of tissue the size of a golf ball!, after all the freckle itself was tiny.

It became apparent that to remove something that spreads itself out poisoning every cell it comes in contact with you have to accept that to be rid of it there will be a certain level of collateral damage.

The point I'm making here is that we have a cancer at the club and a similar approach needs to be taken, we may not get a chance like this again where so many players are off contract together so taking a scalpel and cutting a swathe through our roster to bring in as much fresh blood from Australia as we can is what needs to happen, this is a deep rooted problem and if sizeable action isn't taken then we are destined for further years of frustration and disappointment.

Bring in these Q Cup and NSW ISP hopefuls, hell I'm open to ESL forwards Fijian wingers rugby converts and Papua New Guinean head hunters, think outside the box but we need to get the balance right between these players and the guys from our our own junior Warriors program an area of the organisation that I believe many of these problems we face stem from.

Reactions: 13 users
jonno

jonno

Here's a process I'd like Kearney to follow:

Win Loss Ratio for players who haven't played every game this year:

CNK 50%, 4 games
Mannering 45%, 11 games
Foran 44%, 9 games
Sao 43%, 7 games
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck/Maumalo 42%, 12 games
Gavet/Ayshford 40%, 10 games
Vete/Roach 40%, 5 games
Gub 37.5%, 8 games
Lillyman 33%, 12 games
Matulino 33%, 6 games
Kata 30%, 10 games
Afoa 29%, 7 games
Lolohea 25%, 4 games

Everyone else is on 38% from 13 games or not really featuring.

The process is to hammer this stat into the players heads and make sure they know that winning is most important for future contract negotiations and getting selected.

Looking a little deeper with for and against for those games as well.

For example our for and against with Manners in the team is -2.5 per game, and without him in the team it's -12 per game.
A 9.5 point positive difference.

Lolohea, In -9.5 per game, out -1.9 per game. 7.6 point negative difference.

Kata, In -5.4, out +1 (ouch). 6.4 point negative.

CNK, In -1.25, out -5. 3.75 point positive.

Foran, In -1.5, Out -9.5. 8 point positive.

Sao, In -3, Out -5. 2 point positive.

Gub, In -6.8, Out -0.5. 6.3 point negative.

Afoa, In -6.3, Out -1.2. 5.1 point negative.

Matulino, In -3.2, Out -4.5. 1.3 point positive.

So for all you myth busters Afoa shouldn't be selected for his defense. And neither should Gub. Sao is a good player. Kata needs to follow Lolohea out the door. And we're royally screwed without Mannering and Foran.

Lillyman missed out on the gravy game vs the Broncos reserve grade team so maybe a little unfair, but here it is.

In -5.75, Out +18. 23.75 point negative. o_O Sort your shit out Bull.;)

But considering the game he did play in his team got smashed by more, so maybe not completely unfair. If you average it out for him then his total season for and against is -7.2 points per game vs a Warriors season ave -3.9 points for and against.

This a brutal but awesome (IMO) way of measuring an individuals performance. Because they have to lift the teams total stats to lift their own personal stats. But as you can see with Lillyman it takes more than a few games to get an accurate estimate.

Moral of the story. Don't get dropped or get injured, because if you do you'll fall under this spotlight.

And for you Shaun Johnson haters:

2015 season: 53% win ratio from 17 completed games vs a team season 37.5% (zero games won after injury).

In +0.2 points diff, Out -22.5 points diff. 22.7 point positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users

Jordan G

An interesting, but flawed method. I would be very concerned if Kearney actually made selections based on this data.

Still, it's interesting so nice work Jonno.

Reactions: 1 user
BeastMode

BeastMode

Here's a process I'd like Kearney to follow:

Win Loss Ratio for players who haven't played every game this year:

CNK 50%, 4 games
Mannering 45%, 11 games
Foran 44%, 9 games
Sao 43%, 7 games
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck/Maumalo 42%, 12 games
Gavet/Ayshford 40%, 10 games
Vete/Roach 40%, 5 games
Gub 37.5%, 8 games
Lillyman 33%, 12 games
Matulino 33%, 6 games
Kata 30%, 10 games
Afoa 29%, 7 games
Lolohea 25%, 4 games

Everyone else is on 38% from 13 games or not really featuring.

The process is to hammer this stat into the players heads and make sure they know that winning is most important for future contract negotiations and getting selected.

Looking a little deeper with for and against for those games as well.

For example our for and against with Manners in the team is -2.5 per game, and without him in the team it's -12 per game.
A 9.5 point positive difference.

Lolohea, In -9.5 per game, out -1.9 per game. 7.6 point negative difference.

Kata, In -5.4, out +1 (ouch). 6.4 point negative.

CNK, In -1.25, out -5. 3.75 point positive.

Foran, In -1.5, Out -9.5. 8 point positive.

Sao, In -3, Out -5. 2 point positive.

Gub, In -6.8, Out -0.5. 6.3 point negative.

Afoa, In -6.3, Out -1.2. 5.1 point negative.

Matulino, In -3.2, Out -4.5. 1.3 point positive.

So for all you myth busters Afoa shouldn't be selected for his defense. And neither should Gub. Sao is a good player. Kata needs to follow Lolohea out the door. And we're royally screwed without Mannering and Foran.

Lillyman missed out on the gravy game vs the Broncos reserve grade team so maybe a little unfair, but here it is.

In -5.75, Out +18. 23.75 point negative. o_O Sort your shit out Bull.;)

But considering the game he did play in his team got smashed by more, so maybe not completely unfair. If you average it out for him then his total season for and against is -7.2 points per game vs a Warriors season ave -3.9 points for and against.

This a brutal but awesome (IMO) way of measuring an individuals performance. Because they have to lift the teams total stats to lift their own personal stats. But as you can see with Lillyman it takes more than a few games to get an accurate estimate.

Moral of the story. Don't get dropped or get injured, because if you do you'll fall under this spotlight.

Smashing aplayers with stats when half of them cant do maths is pointless.

Thats not how you build loyalty and passion.

jonno

jonno

Smashing aplayers with stats when half of them cant do maths is pointless.

Thats not how you build loyalty and passion.
It's pretty simple tho. CNK 50%, Kata 30%. 50 beats 30. A 3 year old can understand that.

If Kata wants to get his rate up the only way is to help the team win footy games. If he can't do that, then he's got no right to hold his place in the team.

Loyalty to the fans is more important IMO. Then we get passionate and they feel awesome. It's real simple

Reactions: 2 users

Danpatmac

It's pretty simple tho. CNK 50%, Kata 30%. 50 beats 30. A 3 year old can understand that.

If Kata wants to get his rate up the only way is to help the team win footy games. If he can't do that, then he's got no right to hold his place in the team.

Loyalty to the fans is more important IMO. Then we get passionate and they feel awesome. It's real simple

what is the win loss record of the team each has played against?
did they play origin affected clubs?

theleagueguy

Those stats also show that Bunty Afoa is pretty overrated hence the reluctance to drop Bodene Thompson, may skip a generation to Isaiah Papalii

Reactions: 1 users
jonno

jonno

what is the win loss record of the team each has played against?
did they play origin affected clubs?
I can see what you're getting at, to try to get a more accurate reading on each players effect on the teams performance.

But Our goal is to build a team who beats everyone and wins the GF.

It shouldn't matter who we play. We should aim to win all games and take the same winning mindset into every game no matter who the opposition is. No matter who we have lining up in our team either.

That's why I like the brutal stat. Not because it's accurate, but because it's solely focused on winning on the scoreboard by as much as possible in every single game.

If a couple of key players are out, the rest of the team would know that they can't lose badly as this will boost the stats (and pay rates) of the players who are out, while at the same time hurting their own stats.

WarriorBall

It's an interesting theory but these guys heads look like they're full to the brim, they need to declutter and just get back to basics i.e run hard, tackle hard.

There's clearly a limited capacity to process information for a lot of these players. Not saying they're dumb but they're not the brightest crayons in the box.

jonno

jonno

It's an interesting theory but these guys heads look like they're full to the brim, they need to declutter and just get back to basics i.e run hard, tackle hard.

There's clearly a limited capacity to process information for a lot of these players. Not saying they're dumb but they're not the brightest crayons in the box.
But that's what stats can do for a player. They can help them focus their minds on what's important.

If Kata can see that the team wins 8% less and concedes an extra 6 points when he's playing, maybe it'll motivate him to get better.

Reactions: 4 users

WarriorBall

But that's what stats can do for a player. They can help them focus their minds on what's important.

If Kata can see that the team wins 8% less and concedes an extra 6 points when he's playing, maybe it'll motivate him to get better.

I hear where your coming from mate, the question I have is can these guys process that information and lift their performance accordingly or doe's it just add another layer of pressure keeping in mind we're dealing with some fairly fragile minds.

Remember a lot of these players got to where they are through natural talent and the confidence that comes with that not through improving their performance week to week via statistical analysis and mental fortitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
jonno

jonno

I hear where your coming from mate, the question I have is can these guys process that information and lift their performance accordingly or doe's it just add another layer of pressure keeping in my we're dealing with some fairly fragile minds.

Remember a lot of these players got to where they are through natural talent and the confidence that comes with that not through improving their performance week to week via statistical analysis and mental fortitude.
Confidence comes from two sources. One from is competence, and the other is delusion.

Force them to see the reality of how crap or awesome they really are, and the only way they can feel that confidence that they love so much is through hard work, studying the game and practice x 1000.

Tedster

Tedster

From the Herald - I know Kearney didn't write it but inbetween the lines is there really going to be many if hardly any changes? I really don't get it, some of those players need to harden up - surely if you get dropped and you had the passion to play top grade for this club you would do whatever you could to get back in there? I really don't buy this "damaging their brittle confidence" shyte and hello Stephen did you not realise that the team you beat last would hardly qualify for a top team, hell, even newcastle could beat them. o_O (Actually newcastle play with a whole lot more ticker than thsese guys).

"After redeeming themselves with last week's solid victory against an under strength Broncos side, some repeat offenders again find themselves in the spotlight and under pressure to hold their spots for next Saturday's vital away clash against the Gold Coast Titans.

Halfback Shaun Johnson's inconsistency mirrors the side's patchy form, centre Solomone Kata was unconvincing in his return from injury, while back-rowers Bodene Thompson and Ryan Hoffman again had their struggles, missing five and six tackles respectively.

With just five wins from 13 starts and only two from their last seven, their finals hopes are fast slipping away, but Kearney faces a conundrum over whether to drop players and risk further damaging their brittle confidence and undermining the side's collective efforts to learn and improve.

"I'll make those calls after I get a feel for it all, after looking at the tape yesterday and again in the next couple of days," said Kearney.

"One thing I'm really mindful of is making drastic decisions, but the same group of players put in a consistent performance the week before (against Brisbane).

"That's one thing I know about consistency, if you keep changing it all of the time you're not going to get it. But I'll make those decisions over the next couple of days."

Jordan G

1) I knew the "performance against Brisbane" would be used as a cop out. The same guys have been ordinary for a month, and even the month before that they were only decent for half a game at a time.

2) going to look at the tape, really?

WarriorBall

Something I don't appreciate about the Kearney rhetoric is his how he defends the performance of his side with the media, yes it could be a ploy, players don't like reading about the coach ragging on them in the papers but I'd hope that the reality of the situation is relayed to the playing group behind closed doors.

• Angry
jonno

jonno

Here's another stat for ya Steven.

2017 win ratio:
Storm (Craig Bellamy) 83%
Broncos (Wayne Bennett) 61%
Warriors (Stephen Kearney) 38%

Not Fucken Good Enough.:mad:

Stalefish540

Stalefish540

Contributor
One thing im learning with Kearney is hes an utter mongol. He still thinks hes coaching the Kiwis with the best 17 available players in the country in his starting side, so if he just sticks with them they will come right. His 2 elite teachers would not put up with such poor player performances week after week. ISP side consitently winning and some not all players in that squad have played consistent footy all year, much better than their direct 1st grade counterparts. It's extremely disheartening as a fan, that the bloke we have for 2 1/2 more years bares nothing inside his sack.