Staff Stephen Kearney V2.0

Do you agree with Stephen Kearney being fired?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
do you think they are setting him up to take over for when - if ever bellamy retires? or do you think that he'll be gone when bellamy goes?
Bellamy will go to Broncos at the end of 2021 season when his contract expires possibly in a football GM role. Jason Ryles will get the Storm job, and Kearney will keep putting the cones out at whichever club chooses to have him.

Really happy for SK, he is a good bloke and a great assistant as shown by Bellamy re-hiring him.

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012
Good news.

SK is still our greatest international coach, so I have always thought it would be a tragedy if that wasn’t rewarded, and that knowledge was completely lost to the NZRLs list of people to advise them.

I can see a time in the future where if the Kiwis cannot find a coach, that Kearney would have a second run at it...and there is no one better at understanding how to defeat Australia in tournament play.

He has left a solid mark on the Warriors, we all saw what he was trying to do in 2018. He brought in some good players, he tried his damnedest...but he was not the right guy to coach in the lead role at a club.

If Kearney hadnt brought in Harris, you wonder where the Warriors would be now...Harris took over Mannerings role and is better at it...he holds that team together.

Without Harris the Warriors were shithouse plus.
He has been rewarded for it, he has been rewarded by being paid big money coaching for 6 years with a 35% win record.

He would of also got a big payout, I would say he has been rewarded plenty.

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Brisbane Queensland Australia
Bellamy will go to Broncos at the end of 2021 season when his contract expires possibly in a football GM role. Jason Ryles will get the Storm job, and Kearney will keep putting the cones out at whichever club chooses to have him.

Really happy for SK, he is a good bloke and a great assistant as shown by Bellamy re-hiring him.
Kearney is taking Jason Ryles role,
Ryles is off to England as assistant

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Brisbane Queensland Australia
Reactions: Stalefish540

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
He has been rewarded for it, he has been rewarded by being paid big money coaching for 6 years with a 35% win record.

He would of also got a big payout, I would say he has been rewarded plenty.
We always have to spell things out around here. There are financial rewards and there are achievement awards.
After Kearneys international achievements which are unparalleled by any international coach in the modern era, whereby he defeated a stronger opponent so many times....a man like that deserves to have further success in his chosen field.

Do you think for one second that Kearney was in it for the money?

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
We always have to spell things out around here. There are financial rewards and there are achievement awards.
After Kearneys international achievements which are unparalleled by any international coach in the modern era, whereby he defeated a stronger opponent so many times....a man like that deserves to have further success in his chosen field.

I read it as you said it. To be fair if you haven't played sport to a high level, as you have, then it can be hard to understand more than money comes into it.

Reactions: Sup42

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012

So he would of coached here for free?

Why did he deserve success in the NRL?

what is his Kiwis record vs Australia?

The narrative of what a great Kiwis coach he is was mainly due to the world cup win when Wayne Bennet coached the team

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
So he would of coached here for free?
Being a smart Alec for the sake of it is your prerogative.
Why did he deserve success in the NRL?
In case you know nothing of the Warriors. He was a foundation player and the top forward for his club and in his position before going to Melbourne. Heard of local lad comes home and takes his team to her maiden premiership? It is a feel good story. Kearney has worked hard his whole RL life as a player and a coach. He deserves it. Don't quote me if you cannot understand that principle.
what is his Kiwis record vs Australia?
You should google it. But five victories in case you are just learning about the Kiwis is the best run of any NZ coach in a hundred years of the game.

I have been watching the Kiwis since the 70s. You clearly do not know the frustration of never seeing your team win a series against Australia.

If you had of been watching you would have seen a succession of broken men coach the Kiwis, the odd one won a game here and there. NONE of them got near Kearneys record. SOO winning Lowe included.

The narrative of what a great Kiwis coach he is was mainly due to the world cup win when Wayne Bennet coached the team
The word cup was seen at the time as a one off and uncharitble idiots gave it to Bennet.

Kearney as far as I am concerned shut you lot up by winning the four nations.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga

In case you know nothing of the Warriors. He was a foundation player and the top forward for his club and in his position before going to Melbourne. Heard of local lad comes home and takes his team to her maiden premiership? It is a feel good story. Kearney has worked hard his whole RL life as a player and a coach. He deserves it. Don't quote me if you cannot understand that principle.

You should google it. But five victories in case you are just learning about the Kiwis is the best run of any NZ coach in a hundred years of the game.

I have been watching the Kiwis since the 70s. You clearly do not know the frustration of never seeing your team win a series against Australia.

If you had of been watching you would have seen a succession of broken men coach the Kiwis, the odd one won a game here and there. NONE of them got near Kearneys record. SOO winning Lowe included.

The word cup was seen at the time as a one off and uncharitble idiots gave it to Bennet.

Well said Dave

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
It looks like he had a choice between the Storm or the Broncos.

Broncos he'd be back at home but it would also be dependent on the coach he's lined up with getting the top job. Broncos would be a tougher gig trying to get them back in order.

The Storm he can slot it like he did back in when he was there just over 10 years ago. Helpful for them with him being more experienced now.

Reactions: Worried2Death

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012

Again what has that got to with him deserving success as a head coach in the NRL.

He was rewarded for being a great player with a ring and being paid lucratively.

He also lost 17 games against Aus giving him a 29% win rate against them.

I mean I’m sure your right Kearney is a supercoach and I mean your the expert you played NSW cup juniors hahahahahahahaha

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Again what has that got to with him deserving success as a head coach in the NRL.

He was rewarded for being a great player with a ring and being paid lucratively.

He also lost 17 games against Aus giving him a 29% win rate against them.

I mean I’m sure your right Kearney is a supercoach and I mean your the expert you played NSW cup juniors hahahahahahahaha
I didn't see Sup refer to SK as a super coach, that was your petty sarcastic take on it. What he deserves respect for is his legacy as a player who prepared meticulously and was a talented, often ruthless player on field. Listen to how the Aussies speak about him.

As a Coach he brought that same single mindedness, which was a weakness at times. The team he inherited was a basket case (like the Eels), he went back to basics and built them up from there. I think he performed better as an International Coach as it was done in short bursts and his knowledge and passion could be concentrated in that short time.

Professional players and Coaches are not motivated by money, money is the by product of performance. The saying goes you are not paid to play, you are paid to train. People treasure those wins against Aussie and means more than 'he got paid' That is why you see teams celebrating with trophies, not bank cards.

I play golf with a bloke who is a self made millionaire, after a match one day he said it was funny how nervous it could be putting on the last hole when only $5.00 was at stake, it comes down to the contest, not the money.

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
We can only speculate on whether Kearney was in it for the money, I’d be shocked if it wasn’t a motivating factor for him, along with success of course. However the two don’t need to be mutually exclusive.

As for his record against Australia - isn’t it about the same as the Kiwi’s overall record vs Australia? He also had some great players at his disposal, but then Australia weren’t shy of talent themselves!

Deserving success? Plenty of great players have failed as NRL head coaches, not sure if those that did were as stubborn and risk averse as Kearney proved to be. With those traits he was never going to succeed.

Upcoming Match

Manly Sea Eagles Central Coast Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings