Staff Stephen Kearney V2.0

Do you have faith in Stephen Kearneys process?

• Yes

• Undecided

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
No, I'm a Kiwis tragic who is grateful for all the success Kearney's Kiwis achieved
I am extremely grateful for his efforts as a player, he is one of the greats. As a coach, there have been some very ordinary people who have coached the Kiwis to wins. Do you need a list?

Reaction score
brightman

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I am extremely grateful for his efforts as a player, he is one of the greats. As a coach, there have been some very ordinary people who have coached the Kiwis to wins. Do you need a list?
Are you on that list, aren't you ordinary too..

Any win over the Kangaroos should be celebrated, just as any win over the All Blacks is..

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Are you on that list, aren't you ordinary too..

Any win over the Kangaroos should be celebrated, just as any win over the All Blacks is..
My point...if it needs to be explained..,. that being a winning Kiwi coach does not in any way relate to the NRL :rolleyes:

Reaction score
brightman

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
My point...if it needs to be explained..,. that being a winning Kiwi coach does not in any way relate to the NRL :rolleyes:
Good thing me and that other dude we're talking about the KIWIS..

Reaction score
Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
There's a short video clip of Bellamy on the NRL site explaining why he chose Scott over Chambers (who he's coached for 12 years) for last nights game and how hard it was to do.

But as he pointed out, he felt it was best for that particular game.

Can't imagine SK doing that. Something he never learned at the Storm

Reaction score

Vedoid

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
There's a short video clip of Bellamy on the NRL site explaining why he chose Scott over Chambers (who he's coached for 12 years) for last nights game and how hard it was to do.

But as he pointed out, he felt it was best for that particular game.

Can't imagine SK doing that. Something he never learned at the Storm
I'm not engaging with the slagging off Kearney business, but the way the Storm has approached the last 6 weeks is actually pretty amazing. That Chambers decision was one I can't see many coaches making - although it gave their bench a terrible look. For one of the older coaches going around, Bellamy continues to be one of the most dynamic. This week will be interesting to see if Chambers in included in the 17.

Reaction score
Pozza

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I'm not engaging with the slagging off Kearney business, but the way the Storm has approached the last 6 weeks is actually pretty amazing. That Chambers decision was one I can't see many coaches making - although it gave their bench a terrible look. For one of the older coaches going around, Bellamy continues to be one of the most dynamic. This week will be interesting to see if Chambers in included in the 17.
Don't reckon Bellamy will change his starting line up. Chambers will be on the interchange again. Just as an a side, Roosters would love to transplant Curtis Scott's whole hearted effort into Latrell.

Last edited:
Reaction score
WellingtonOrca

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Article today in the news about possible alternative coaching options.

Ben & Shane Walker

This would be somewhat out of left field, but plenty of people in the know have been calling for the Walker brothers to get a crack at the NRL for a long time.

The pair are renowned for their attacking flair after the way they transformed the Ipswich Jets into one of the most exciting teams, at any level, to watch play.

The brothers are keen for a crack in the big dance and applied for both the Newcastle and Gold Coast jobs when they became vacant in recent years.

Historically, the Warriors have found success when they play outside of the traditional structure of the NRL. The Walker brothers could certainly play into that.
Anyone suggesting Walker & Walker is about 5 years too late, they've been found out quite convincingly after the initial hype, and I say that as someone who was calling for them back then.

If you wanted to look at QRL coaches though, I'd go for Jimmy Lenihan at the Burleigh Bears - just took a team of Titans rejects to the grand final, absolutely dismantling the Falcons who only lost 1 regular season game all year and were stacked with Storm 1st graders.

Reaction score
WellingtonOrca

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Moley on SK's future
Still on the Warriors, and former Eels, Raiders and Warriors forward Justin Morgan is set to put the pressure on Stephen Kearney next season.

Morgan has been appointed as the club's NSW Cup coach and sources across the ditch tell me there will be a push to install his (sic) as NRL coach mid-season if the Warriors again start the year poorly.

A former Warriors assistant coach, Morgan is highly regarded in league circles and most recently coached the Kiwi Ferns women's team.

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Morgan did well with Hull Kingston Rovers when he was there. He was there for a decent period as well 2005-2011.

When he was here as an assistant I thought we were getting one of the new decent coaches coming through. He only lasted a season & wasn't in Kearney's initial coaching team. When he left there were rumours or discussions on here about him ranting and raving at players. I know what has that got to do with anything, well over the years anyone tough or who yells at people have been run out of the joint. Too many snowflakes.

Reaction score

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I’d personally make a play for Nathan brown. He’s essentially rebuilt Newcastle from a 2x wooden spooners on some calculated gambles and some good recruitment. We need a rebuild.

Reaction score

ozmaverick

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I'm not sure really on what merits SK was brought to the Warriors... Sure he had success at the International level, but this was with Wayne Bennett and all NZ rep players available to him at the time.

I believe Rep Team Coaches have an entirely different job than Club Coaches...they literally have the best available talent on a plate in front of them to pick from. No salary cap pressure etc.

I don't know how much success someone like Mal Meninga or Kevin Walters would actually have in club land as a head coach.

Maybe SK would have been better in the ESL like Trent Robinson before coming back to the NRL.

my 2c.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
When he left there were rumours or discussions on here about him ranting and raving at players.
That shows you what cattle we have. SK has shown that being polite doesn't work either. My guess is that Daniel Anderson showed what really works...let us be honest Stacy Jones wasn
Maybe SK would have been better in the ESL like Trent Robinson before coming back to the NRL.
A very good point, it would have shown him up as useless for sure, unless he went to one of the big cheque book clubs.
Morgan did well with Hull Kingston Rovers when he was there. He was there for a decent period as well 2005-2011.

When he was here as an assistant I thought we were getting one of the new decent coaches coming through. He only lasted a season & wasn't in Kearney's initial coaching team. When he left there were rumours or discussions on here about him ranting and raving at players. I know what has that got to do with anything, well over the years anyone tough or who yells at people have been run out of the joint. Too many snowflakes.
I have to bow down a bit.

I have never actually checked Morgans Wiki records. I was just off him because God Doyle raved about him but nothing happened. His win % at HKR was 56%, which is not to be sneezed at and his performance in the second division is impressive as well, because that shows genuine coaching ability as opposed to cheque book coaching. He seems to have carried that through to the women as well.

Notice how anybody who seems to have any ability doesn't last with SK? Yet those who don't...do. Funny that. Just saying like.

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Piss it off!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
I’d personally make a play for Nathan brown. He’s essentially rebuilt Newcastle from a 2x wooden spooners on some calculated gambles and some good recruitment. We need a rebuild.
26% win record, 2 x wooden spoons. ‘Rebuilt’ with some quality signings to get 11th place finishes in both 2018/19... He’s almost making even Kearney look good

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

Hands up if you are a shit coach
Reaction score
26% win record, 2 x wooden spoons. ‘Rebuilt’ with some quality signings to get 11th place finishes in both 2018/19... He’s almost making even Kearney look good
Brown and the Knights were offering less per season for 3 years to Blair. Kearney and the Warriors offered more per season plus gave an extra year as option in favour of Blair.

Thats enough for me to know that Brown has more sense than Kearney.

Reaction score
Swanley

Swanley

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Agree and that failed experiment with Ponga....and coming out on TV saying I've made mistakes...NO THANK YOU....

Reaction score

PNG Kiwi

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It's obvious SK is on borrowed time unless he pulls a rabbit out of a hat.

There is basically no news coming out of the club to give us hope.

I agree that the landscape hasn't changed over the years Auckland isn't the destination of choice, just like Canberra, but haven't they turned that around.

Do you think for a moment if we had a top shelf coach who developed players we would have a problem with recruiting, not at all.

Maybe Peter Sullivan has the ability to pick a good up an coming coach as well as players.

I am worried that everyone goes into survival mode and then we are really doomed

Top Bottom