Staff Stephen Kearney V2.0

Do you have faith in Stephen Kearneys process?

• Yes

• Undecided

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Sledge

Sledge

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Kearney has no proven NRL track record on coaching at all, typical Warriors fashion we rush in to sign someone after one good season and now have been left with a lemon, how he could keep Papali’i over the last few weeks baffles me. If he did promise KN that he would be in the halves no matter what is another black mark on his pretty shite coaching portfolio.

Reaction score
Warrior#214

Warrior#214

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
This is a classic blame shift from Mooks in his post match comments after the Sharks game.

If there were two things I’d say a GOOD coach can bring to a playing group it would have to be belief and resilience - wouldn’t it?

A GAMEPLAN = belief in the team and it’s systems.

A CULTURE OF PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY = resilience on gameday

But no. We get a bunch of guys who can’t be told they’re not up to scratch and a coach who actually has no ambition (beyond not getting fired).

Reaction score
Fearmuss

Fearmuss

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
One thing that stood out for me this arvo was not the Warriors or our coach, it was Michael McGuire’s pre-game interview saying along the line of we are trying something different that we believe will work and I’m not going to say what it is, you’ll have to see for yourself.
80 minutes later his team wins 46-4.

I’m not confident our coach/coaching staff have a different game plan for each team they play. I’m sure it’s one game plan for all teams, which more often than not, doesn’t work.
They had a lot of bodies in play, double blocks and such.

Their shape was very Melbourne-like, then they also went ad-lib.

Reaction score
Sledge

Sledge

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Look at the teams below us, Titans- already coach is gone. St George- Mary’s facing immense pressure and will go next year at this rate, Dean Pay was looking like he would be fired until the team went on this run, Nathan Brown- gone. Surely if Kearney keeps up with this shit fest next year he will be gone if we are down in 12th by the halfway mark?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Afakasi247

Afakasi247

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I think the culture of the club is heading in the right direction - whether SK was the pioneer behind that who knows.

But definitely - in terms of game plan, as we’ve headed towards the end of the season it’s evident there’s a real lack of one.

I’ve always defended SK for the sake of keeping consistency in the coaching ranks - we’ve been through too many changes over the last 8 years.

SK has done some good - he’s gotten rid of some dead wood players and in his first few years recruited proven professionals.

Just unfortunate those players haven’t played their best footy for us.

Blair and Beale are past it. Harris was a great buy but can’t stay heathy.

Pulu was a diamond in the rough but after his foot injury last season fell off the side of the planet.

Paasi and LAM have gone alright but none are forward pack leaders (which we lack).

Nikorima was a rushed signing - and I’m not even sure SK was driving that one.

The real downfall this season was letting SJ go (which seems was driven by CG) and the lack of quality recruiting last off season (which was widely criticised on here).

Sure there were a couple fringe signings that the jury is still out on - Herbert, Pompey - and the signing of AK who dramatically fell out of favour due to a rumoured truth session.

This season the team didn’t have a solid platform to build off last seasons growth due to too much disruption in the squad - disjointed halves and injuries.

Where this falls on SK is his inability to adjust the game plan to suit the fill in/new players or work to the strengths of those players (or give a chance to those rotting in reserve grade I.e Pulu, Satae (when he was here) and Sao)

Instead he’s tried to run with last years game plan but with players that lack the skill to pull it off.

We’ve all criticised SK for his inability to adjust on the fly - and because of that we’ve had a nightmare season tbh.

CG/management seem to be causing a stir and it’s becoming evident there’s a disconnect between management and coaching staff, with the players in limbo.

It’s an important off season to rectify that and recruit to plug the holes and re balance this squad.

Whether SK will be given a final chance - who knows. He’s stubborn with his game plan and maybe we need a solid assistant with fresh ideas to come in worst case.

Think the team missed Cappy this season - is it a coincidence that the Raiders are doing so well this season?

Finally got some positives last year and in true Warriors fashion that’s all come undone this season.

We can either rebound ala Raiders and Eels next season, or crumble ala Dragons and Knights.

And all too familiar place for us fans. Fuck man.

Reaction score
wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I think the culture of the club is heading in the right direction - whether SK was the pioneer behind that who knows.

But definitely - in terms of game plan, as we’ve headed towards the end of the season it’s evident there’s a real lack of one.

I’ve always defended SK for the sake of keeping consistency in the coaching ranks - we’ve been through too many changes over the last 8 years.

SK has done some good - he’s gotten rid of some dead wood players and in his first few years recruited proven professionals.

Just unfortunate those players haven’t played their best footy for us.

Blair and Beale are past it. Harris was a great buy but can’t stay heathy.

Pulu was a diamond in the rough but after his foot injury last season fell off the side of the planet.

Paasi and LAM have gone alright but none are forward pack leaders (which we lack).

The real downfall this season was letting SJ go (which seems was driven by CG) and the lack of quality recruiting last off season (which was widely criticised on here).

Sure there were a couple fringe signings that the jury is still out on - Herbert, Pompey - and the signing of AK who dramatically fell out of favour due to a rumoured truth session.

This season the team didn’t have a solid platform to build off last seasons growth due to too much disruption in the squad - disjointed halves and injuries.

Where this falls on SK is his inability to adjust the game plan to suit the fill in/new players or work to the strengths of those players (or give a chance to those rotting in reserve grade I.e Pulu, Satae (when he was here) and Sao)

Instead he’s tried to run with last years game plan but with players that lack the skill to pull it off.

We’ve all criticised SK for his inability to adjust on the fly - and because of that we’ve had a nightmare season tbh.

CG/management seem to be causing a stir and it’s becoming evident there’s a disconnect between management and coaching staff, with the players in limbo.

It’s an important off season to rectify that and recruit to plug the holes and re balance this squad.

Whether SK will be given a final chance - who knows. He’s stubborn with his game plan and maybe we need a solid assistant with fresh ideas to come in worst case.

Think the team missed Cappy this season - is it a coincidence that the Raiders are doing so well this season?

Finally got some positives last year and in true Warriors fashion that’s all come undone this season.

We can either rebound ala Raiders and Eels next season, or crumble ala Dragons and Knights.

And all too familiar place for us fans. Fuck man.
Nicely put and you nailed the issues with balance.

Real shame after last year, leading for most of the season, 2 Daly M finalist and the games leading try scorer. It’s been a huge failure to build and more importantly recruit to replace SJ and Mannering.

Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Nicely put and you nailed the issues with balance.

Real shame after last year, leading for most of the season, 2 Daly M finalist and the games leading try scorer. It’s been a huge failure to build and more importantly recruit to replace SJ and Mannering.
Missing both of these players. We didn't deserve to have Mannering. Gave 100% every week even when the rest of his teammates didn't.

Reaction score
BeastMode

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I'm surprisingly not angry at Stephen today.

Don't know why. I guess I've seen this story too many times.

If anything, I pity the poor bloke. Pity, yet admire him to a certain degree.

With all the shit he went through at the Eels, and with us, and all his personal sacrifices, to survive as long as he has, its quite an achievement.

Kia Kaha Stephen Kearney.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
So, by what you're saying, Jones and Peyton aren't up to it or they are and Kearney can't - or doesn't want to - see it. Both conclusions need evidence that, as we're outside the inner sanctum, we don't have.
How much evidence do you want? Yesterday we had a team that tried hard but had both terrible attack and defence. I blame coaching.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm surprisingly not angry at Stephen today.

Don't know why. I guess I've seen this story too many times.

If anything, I pity the poor bloke. Pity, yet admire him to a certain degree.

With all the shit he went through at the Eels, and with us, and all his personal sacrifices, to survive as long as he has, its quite an achievement.

Kia Kaha Stephen Kearney.
Me neither. He didn't ask to come here and has sacrificed his family to do it.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Look at the teams below us, Titans- already coach is gone. St George- Mary’s facing immense pressure and will go next year at this rate, Dean Pay was looking like he would be fired until the team went on this run, Nathan Brown- gone. Surely if Kearney keeps up with this shit rest next year he will be gone if we are down in 12th by the halfway mark?
If SK wants to stay he will be. There is no way the club can afford to pay him out. My hope is that he either gives up by himself or else takes some advice from another assistant. The current situation cannot continue.
I don't get the hate on Nikorima, except for his defence, and that is one thing we miss from SJ. He has spark and tries hard, maybe too hard. I don't think he is a hooker unless he can improve his defence either.

Also I have been critical of Paasi, he isn't genuine FG starting material but had a decent game yesterday. I don't think there is anybody in this squad who could be described as a rat bag, although some are way overpaid for sure.

The more I watch this team the more I think the issues are in coaching, which with the wealth of experience in years available on the payroll should not be a problem, but it is.

The club needs strong leadership, and we are not getting that from CG.

SK is the strongest placed staff member to exert his leadership skills on the club. He just cannot be sacked. So it is up to him to pull finger, take a hard look at himself and the club and get to it, or piss off. I think it is that simple.

Reaction score
wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
How much evidence do you want? Yesterday we had a team that tried hard but had both terrible attack and defence. I blame coaching.
Hmmm... or it could be the players are not physically good enough and no matter how good or bad the coach or how much the players try, a top team on form will smash us?

Are we bad or have the other teams stepped up and blown us off the park?

It’s a long standing issue and why after origin since forever, we have never had the squad to compete when the competition starts hitting form. We’re on our 5th coach since Cleary and basically the whole squad has been replaced over the past 2 years. We can’t keep blaming the coach or the players for not trying hard enough...

Recruitment is the biggest issue from my perspective and getting the talent we need to NZ at a cost that doesn’t screw the entire squad. And this year has highlighted our inability to recruit even with the benefit of last years solid season. But I do agree the coaches are only average.

Reaction score
Sledge

Sledge

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Hmmm... or it could be the players are not physically good enough and no matter how good or bad the coach or how much the players try, a top team on form will smash us?

Are we bad or have the other teams stepped up and blown us off the park?

It’s a long standing issue and why after origin since forever, we have never had the squad to compete when the competition starts hitting form. We’re on our 5th coach since Cleary and basically the whole squad has been replaced over the past 2 years. We can’t keep blaming the coach or the players for not trying hard enough...

Recruitment is the biggest issue from my perspective and getting the talent we need to NZ at a cost that doesn’t screw the entire squad. And this year has highlighted our inability to recruit even with the benefit of last years solid season. But I do agree the coaches are only average.
Na mate, yesterday we were shocking on attack and defence, this team should be amped to get out there and give it everything, we could of still made it especially after early results, they are not getting up, that’s either coaching or not believing in it.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
This team has some top quality players although we are light in the forwards. Some games this year it has been a slack attitude e.g. Manly at Christchurch. However it is becoming more clear the game plan, because knowing SK there will be one, is not providing confidence and is not working. There seems to be no evidence of drilling, especially that you see with Melbourne.

If it was all up to the players there would be no need for a coach.

Reaction score
wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
This team has some top quality players although we are light in the forwards. Some games this year it has been a slack attitude e.g. Manly at Christchurch. .
I don’t think the blowouts are all a slack attitude. Last 2 weeks we have been blown away by better teams in form. It was men against boys. Manly earlier in the year we couldn’t handle their size and strength and I think our conditioning was out.

The forwards are the key. Peak Matalino, Packer, Lillyman and Rapira laid a foundation that we haven’t seen since. Currently none of our props would make a top 4 side and it’s when our forwards are getting manhandled that the rot sets in and the lips drop and our attack and defence falls apart.

We have bad lip droppers more than bad attitude where it all starts going wrong. I also think we have chased games to many times (eg RTS rushing out, stupid offloads, etc) and have made the scorelines worse.

Reaction score
mrblonde

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Please have a resignation press conference.
Which person would you have resign? If I had to pick, I'd want George out first. Or for him to develop some serious long-term laryngitis...He's turning into another Mick Watson (mouthy, opionated, shooting his mouth off in public) and we don't really need another one of those...

Reaction score

pleatedpantspete

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Two things I noticed from this round -
Wayne Bennett told a reporter something like “we’re not playing as well as we should be” in response to whether no gi and Sam Burgess was affecting the squad. The takeaway is how Bennett accepted responsibility as part of the whole group, didn’t blame the playing group like SK

THe other thing was Joey johns saying the coaching saga for the knights is an excuse for the weaker minded players to give up and blame the coach for playing bad . Interesting perspective given we’re seeing some guys play without effort and some still trying.

Top Bottom