Staff Stephen Kearney V2.0

Do you have faith in Stephen Kearneys process?

• Yes

• Undecided

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
how is that an insult? gpred made a comment based in fantasy and I indulged him/her..
I think you will find your comment is the one based in fantasy.
Cappy had LESS games in charge of the Warriors and had a BETTER winning percentage than SK. Those are the facts.
But, Ok, seems like there is no way forward here other than to buy into the real fantasy which is SK privilege.
Fine I will.
But how much more privilege should he get? Can we agree where to draw the line?
I am going to propose that his privilege should end if he can’t make the top 4 just once after four years in charge?
Seems fair. But where is your line? Can we agree on a line? Or is it just Kearney privilege for life?
More than happy to negotiate on the line, I’m a reasonable him/her.

Last edited:
Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder if given three years more, and the same resources as SK, Cappy probably could have coached us to 12 or 13th on the ladder?

(throw in some unlucky injuries and poor refereeing decisions and Cappy could still get us to 13th)
Cappi already did that, not sure what you are getting at. He came with Elliot, took the top role and still stayed when SK took over. He couldnt even get them into the top 8, something that SK did in his second year with the club. He has the dubious honour of also being the second longest staff member in the coaching staff after Ivan. Seriously if thats your example, you really have a poor argument.

Reaction score

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Cappi already did that, not sure what you are getting at. He came with Elliot, took the top role and still stayed when SK took over. He couldnt even get them into the top 8, something that SK did in his second year with the club. He has the dubious honour of also being the second longest staff member in the coaching staff after Ivan. Seriously if thats your example, you really have a poor argument.
Sorry if I didn't make my point well. But what I was trying to get at is......

Cappy had less opportunity (games) as head coach than Kearney, but on average achieved superior results (win percentage). It's not even an argument, it's just the facts. Hope that is clearer.

It's clear Kearney is being given more opportunity, and I ok I get it. For whatever reason this guy is the chosen son and gets more opportunity. So I'm just saying if that's the way it's going to be, let's try and put a limit on how much extra opportunity we are going to give him.

And let's not try and pretend we aren't giving him extra opportunity by reframing the facts and looking at them from Kearney skewed angles. For example, let's not consider time as assistant coach (for Cappy, Kearney or anyone else). If we do that, then all of a sudden Kearney is pretty close to the GOAT. And it's pretty clear that isn't true, and therefore a blatant attempt to favour Kearney and further extend his apparent god given right to extra opportunity.

Reaction score
brightman

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Sorry if I didn't make my point well. But what I was trying to get at is......
I see your point and still I don't agree, it would really help if you would deal in reality. As in
Cappy had less opportunity (games) as head coach than Kearney, but on average achieved superior results (win percentage). It's not even an argument, it's just the facts. Hope that is clearer.
BS. Kearney had the Warriors crack into the top 8 with one season under his belt. It's simple and fact. SK got better results. Result Cappy Wappy never achieved, not under Matt Elliot, not standing in his own two feet and not.. oh wait, actually yes, he did actually, while SK was in charge. Huh, funny that..
It's clear Kearney is being given more opportunity, and I ok I get it. For whatever reason this guy is the chosen son and gets more opportunity. So I'm just saying if that's the way it's going to be, let's try and put a limit on how much extra opportunity we are going to give him.
So keen to move Kearney on based on jealousy? SK is being afforded opportunity because he got results. Sure, this season isn't going the way it should and that wrong turn started when the Kiwis were on tour off England last year and our recruitment/retention team started on sabotaging the squad. Nor helped by the many poorly reffed games that scuttled the late drive to make the 8.
We are close and all you want is to rid of the coach, how about we get better players instead..
And let's not try and pretend
You should probably take your own advice..

Reaction score
wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I see your point and still I don't agree, it would really help if you would deal in reality. As in

BS. Kearney had the Warriors crack into the top 8 with one season under his belt. It's simple and fact. SK got better results. Result Cappy Wappy never achieved, not under Matt Elliot, not standing in his own two feet and not.. oh wait, actually yes, he did actually, while SK was in charge. Huh, funny that..
I think Cappy is the better coach, will get another shot and history will prove who’s correct

Reaction score

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

So keen to move Kearney on based on jealousy? SK is being afforded opportunity because he got results. Sure, this season isn't going the way it should and that wrong turn started when the Kiwis were on tour off England last year and our recruitment/retention team started on sabotaging the squad. Nor helped by the many poorly reffed games that scuttled the late drive to make the 8.
We are close and all you want is to rid of the coach, how about we get better players instead..

You should probably take your own advice..
I don't want to get rid of the coach at this point, I think the way things are structured that would be bad for the club. I just want some honesty around the fact we are giving Kearney a better shake than some other coaches have been given.

If we can do that we can start to make a better crack of identifying where things are going wrong and where to get help in.

I'm not sure there is really an argument here. Sure you are right if we accept top 8 as the measure of success, and I'm right if we accept winning percentage as a measure of success.

I normally just try take the side of science, which says that the fact is in the long term the coach who has the highest winning percentage will win more premierships than the coach who has the lower winning percentage. That's not my opinion, it's just one of the fundamental laws of probability.

I realise alternative facts are all the rage these days, so good on you for having yours. I can't argue with alternate realities.

Reaction score
brightman

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
If we can do that we can start to make a better crack of identifying where things are going wrong and where to get help in.
That's been done and the result is to stick with the coach and change the players/squad/club attitudes to bring about a stronger club culture, no easy feat given the state of rugby league in this country.
They have a fantastic mentor in Brian Smith to help guide the pathways to developing home grown players, a prized talent scout to identify and recruit the best youth from within NZ and Kiwis legend who has always held the highest of standards and will impress those same standards on the players with the assistance from renowned trainer Alex Corvo.
What they don't have is Harry Potter but if Cameron George's tactics can actually pay dividends and we sign a boom forward like Fafita then all facets will be contributing, heading in the right direction and just a matter of sustaining the status quo to real the rewards.

Or we could just sack SK and bring back Crappy..

Last edited:
Reaction score

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Or we could just sack SK and bring back Crappy..
No, as I said, I don't want to do that.

All good. I accept there are many aspects in which the club is heading in a positive direction. But giving Kearney more credit than the facts show he should get is not one of them. Let's acknowledge the issues, get help and move forward in a positive direction. That's how you solve problems. Not by pretending they aren't there.

If we can do that without our fingers in our ears when there are signs of problems, I think we will be better for it.

And a certainly don't claim to have answers to any of the problems. But if we at are least open and honest that things might be off, we can move forward. That's why I had an issue with Cameron George on radio sport the other day. His attitude was nothing to see here, everything is amazing, sure the players could improve their attitudes but that is not mine or Stephen Kearney's problem. That's a very unhealthy attitude from a guy steering the ship, and we should avoid falling into the same trap.

Reaction score
Uncmase

Uncmase

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
That you pining for the days when we weren't winning premierships.

That loser mentality is the heart of whats wrong with the Warriors... Who cares if we are winning as long as we look good right?!
Who said that? Did you have your glasses on when you read it? I said I miss the days when we had the talent & a coach who could get us to the big dance.

What a make up you're own story guy.

Reaction score
wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
But if we at are least open and honest that things might be off, we can move forward. That's why I had an issue with Cameron George on radio sport the other day. His attitude was nothing to see here, everything is amazing, sure the players could improve their attitudes but that is not mine or Stephen Kearney's problem. That's a very unhealthy attitude from a guy steering the ship, and we should avoid falling into the same trap.
Acknowledging the problem/ working to improve it - and doing it publicly are two very different things. If CG was honest with us it would inflame the situation and end up very negative. The average fan wants sound bites and it would require more analysis than he is able to deliver when he engages with the public. I can still see a case when the club had basically written off this year after SJ left with the aim of building up a war chest and opening a future window. How do you explain that to the public?

His job is to brush over the issues, nothing to see here and pin the blame where it’s best to be pinned from a marketing perspective. Our hope is that behind the scenes they have a long term plan and are working towards that, irrespective of the short term issues.

Reaction score

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Acknowledging the problem/ working to improve it - and doing it publicly are two very different things. If CG was honest with us it would inflame the situation and end up very negative. The average fan wants sound bites and it would require more analysis than he is able to deliver when he engages with the public. I can still see a case when the club had basically written off this year after SJ left with the aim of building up a war chest and opening a future window. How do you explain that to the public?

His job is to brush over the issues, nothing to see here and pin the blame where it’s best to be pinned from a marketing perspective. Our hope is that behind the scenes they have a long term plan and are working towards that, irrespective of the short term issues.
Yeah fair enough if it is just spin and behind the scenes they are all over the issues. That's great.

I'm not sure what he said was the best from a marketing perspective, since fans seem to be a disillusioned, and perhaps would appreciate some honesty. But you're right, he should know the game he's playing and to some extent we have to trust that he is making the best plays. Let's hope so.

Reaction score
brightman

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I can still see a case when the club had basically written off this year after SJ left with the aim of building up a war chest and opening a future window. How do you explain that to the public?
The phones are ringing hot.. 🤣

Reaction score

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
In my opinion the CEO has every right to comment about the performance of the squad and if players are not putting in.

The reason being, SK does report into CG and overall CG is responsible for the performance of the club.

The gripe I have is that before going public he needs to be in sync with SK, if not that is a concern and doesn't bode well for future.

Reaction score
brightman

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
In my opinion the CEO has every right to comment about the performance of the squad and if players are not putting in.

The reason being, SK does report into CG and overall CG is responsible for the performance of the club.

The gripe I have is that before going public he needs to be in sync with SK, if not that is a concern and doesn't bode well for future.
Here we go, so leading into the off season George is allowed to sabotage 2020 as well..

Reaction score
Aman

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

He fucked up the SJ negotiations by not keeping his mouth shut
He fucked up the reffing situation by not keeping his mouth shut
He's now sabotaging the playing group by not keeping his mouth shut
Who knows what else hes fucked up in the background since we still haven't signed anyone

This man is walk in walk out executive just collecting pay cheques from one place to another, seen plenty of those in my time

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
So SKs told George to to politely shut the fuck up and leave player feedback him. Not sure about this George fella anymore.
was this a news article? or have i missed something?

Top Bottom