General Stephen Kearney anyone?

2big2strong_old

I made a statement last year on this forum, questioning whether Ivan Cleary was made of the right stuff to be an NRL head coach just yet but was shot down in flames by a lot of very vocal Cleary supporters. It seems everyone is changing their tune now.

The one thing about Ivan that I've noticed is that he appears far too complacent, he just seems so blase about everything around him. Whether this is a front or not I'm not sure, but I think our players lack discipline and need a good boot up the ass when they need it and a pat on the back when they earn it.

To give Ivan credit, he has done a lot of good things with this approach, Manu for instance (If he were at another club he would of got dropped 2 years ago and would be washed up by now).

I'm not calling for Ivans head here but I do think that something serious needs to be done, either the club employs the right people to help Ivan (ie. defence and attacking coaches), or he is moved on.

The club has recruited remarkably over the past few years IMHO, but I personally saw the direction that Ivan was going (filling the side full of toilers instead of attacking players) as a statement that he isn't confident in his own ability to coach players to tackle, instead he'd rather use players that have already been tought how to tackle with the hope that Manu Vatuvei, Ropati and Wade McKinnon can score all the points and the toilers in the middle of the field will stop points being scored against us. I said this last year as well but I personally would of gone for Jeremy Smith over Lillyman (both would of been on similar money), however I do like the additions of players such as Royal and Moon.

Which brings us to Kearney.....

From local media reports he is wanting to make the natural transition to Head Coach of an NRL team when his current Assistant coaching contract has run it's course. A few NRL clubs have already put their hands up but I think he could be a perfect fit for this club! I've read an interview with Craig Bellamy on Kearney and he has said that Kearney runs all of the physical training exercises for the Storm, he structures their defence and their attacking line, Bellamy is more the tactition and a$$ kicker.

I still think that the Warriors will make the 8 this year and go well in the finals, but I'm sick of going through this mid year emotional slump every season that Cleary is in charge.

p.s...

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but I'd go as far to say that Moon is the best one on one defender in the entire NRL, probably the best for a number of years, when guys run at him they get completely dominated every time, I'd actually like to see him play in the back row, he was in the top 3 line breakers in the NRL for the first 5 or so rounds.

p.p.s...

Shaun Johnson is no where near ready for NRL, not even close. But he has shown he has more natural talent than any other up and coming half at the warriors, he just needs someone to show him how to utilise it, something he won't get until we get a decent attacking coach. I saw glimpses of Jonathan Thurston in him last weekend, only glimpses but I liked what I saw.

Northern_Union

I think that you have hit on a point in regards Clearys coaching style. He tends to keep playing guys that have done a job for him in the past....despite the fact that current form may be costing games now. This i think is reflected in his recruitment policy. He looks to buy in players that wont lose you a game. Steady as you go tradesmen....much like the way he played the game wouldn't you say? He coaches as he played steady as she goes.

On Moon. I know what your saying about the bloke on D.....but my mind keeps coming back to that semi final he played for the Broncos in which he damn near lost the game for the Broncos on his own. So i'm wondering if he has a problem in regards big matches?

Spence_old

I think that you have hit on a point in regards Clearys coaching style. He tends to keep playing guys that have done a job for him in the past....despite the fact that current form may be costing games now. This i think is reflected in his recruitment policy. He looks to buy in players that wont lose you a game. Steady as you go tradesmen....much like the way he played the game wouldn't you say? He coaches as he played steady as she goes.

On Moon. I know what your saying about the bloke on D.....but my mind keeps coming back to that semi final he played for the Broncos in which he damn near lost the game for the Broncos on his own. So i'm wondering if he has a problem in regards big matches?

He was up against Folau, but still, that's no excuse. I have noticed this as well, he seems to be a very handy defender, able to put shots on.

BringBackRovelli_old

I think he was a passenger last year in the Broncos, he wasn`t making the effort. He`s got a very different mindset here.

garyhobson_old

I would like to see Kearney give up the kiwi coaching job if hes going to coach the Warriors. To ensure hes 100% concentrating on the Warriors. He would probably bring a more attacking style of play than Ivan. Ivan seems to be very conservative in everything he does - recruitment, coaching style, selections. I guess he was that type of player.

Imagine what Tim Sheens or Wayne Bennet could do to the Warriors, with the amount of good young talent we have.

Tajhay_old

we are clutching at straws. a new coach cannot force stacey jones to do an attacking play other than a kick to manu or a wrap around.

kiwi man_old

we are clutching at straws. a new coach cannot force stacey jones to do an attacking play other than a kick to manu or a wrap around.

i disagree with that, on saturday i was lucky enough to meet all the players and watch the boys train.. when they were running through there game plays and stuff cleary was chopping and changing the team like nothing else, i didnt understand why he was doing it aswell.. it was like no players could get settled in anything they were doing and all they did after working through the forwards was wrap around plays.. and this looked really good to watch when they ran it without an opposition.. a few other things i noticed at training was stacey looked quick and sharp with no defence in front of him, moon took control of the backs well, and kicked often, almost twice as much as stacey did, mckinnon seemed to run harder at his team mates then he does in games, kemp kicked almost all of his conversions from the sideline.. ivan and ackland almost never spoke to each other throughout the session. and finally, the team even looked better on the training pitch when hohaia was running the plays. henderson is far to laboured in almost everything he does

DanKokoro_old

i disagree with that, on saturday i was lucky enough to meet all the players and watch the boys train.. when they were running through there game plays and stuff cleary was chopping and changing the team like nothing else, i didnt understand why he was doing it aswell.. it was like no players could get settled in anything they were doing and all they did after working through the forwards was wrap around plays.. and this looked really good to watch when they ran it without an opposition.. a few other things i noticed at training was stacey looked quick and sharp with no defence in front of him, moon took control of the backs well, and kicked often, almost twice as much as stacey did, mckinnon seemed to run harder at his team mates then he does in games, kemp kicked almost all of his conversions from the sideline.. ivan and ackland almost never spoke to each other throughout the session. and finally, the team even looked better on the training pitch when hohaia was running the plays. henderson is far to laboured in almost everything he does

maybe they had a lot more energy? Not tackling and all.. But yeah I don't know, all I know is they're not putting it together on the field. Besides the dragons game our attacking game has been getting worse and worse. With Stacey back it just feels like a regression back to '05. I like Ivan, but he's kind of turned us in to a boring team. I think we need to be actively seeking to offload the ball alot more. The raiders did it against us and it ruined us. We clearly have no ability to break a structured line, atleast in broken play we'll have a chance. In other words.. I want to see some RAZZLE DAZZLE FOOTBALL (costigan's voice)

Jesbass_old

maybe they had a lot more energy? Not tackling and all.. But yeah I don't know, all I know is they're not putting it together on the field. Besides the dragons game our attacking game has been getting worse and worse. With Stacey back it just feels like a regression back to '05. I like Ivan, but he's kind of turned us in to a boring team. I think we need to be actively seeking to offload the ball alot more. The raiders did it against us and it ruined us. We clearly have no ability to break a structured line, atleast in broken play we'll have a chance. In other words.. I want to see some RAZZLE DAZZLE FOOTBALL (costigan's voice)

"Oh, the Warriors of old!" :D

kiwi man_old

just another thing,
i was at the game on sunday so i saw alot of off the ball stuff and one thing that stood out to me was how pathetic our defensive line was, even at the very begining of the game so fatigue cant be an excuse.. the line was disjointed one third were rushing up, another third wernt moving up at all n the rest were in two minds about it all.. i couldnt belive it was the nrl at the way our defensive line looked

commonsense_old

the thing with ivan cleary's warriors is that they give us warriors fans a rollercoaster ride every season. it's too much for some of us. we fans like to see some consistency.

kearney as replacement coach for the warriors?
it makes a lot of sense doesnt it? i would love to have him join us.

Northern_Union

Honestly i think what we need in terms of coaches is a Tim Sheens or Wayne Bennett. Some one thats been around for a decade or two knows how and when to butt kick and when to baby sit.
Phil Gould would be another i'd love to see at the club.

Tyrael_old

I would really appreciate a coach who has been around the blocks. Kearney just won't go it for me and I hope for his sake that he doesn't take the poisoned chalice.

Northern_Union

Actually another name that springs to mind with a wealth of experience is Mel Rielly. All time great player and great coach.

romel_old

I would like to see Kearney give up the kiwi coaching job if hes going to coach the Warriors. To ensure hes 100% concentrating on the Warriors. He would probably bring a more attacking style of play than Ivan. Ivan seems to be very conservative in everything he does - recruitment, coaching style, selections. I guess he was that type of player.

Imagine what Tim Sheens or Wayne Bennet could do to the Warriors, with the amount of good young talent we have.

extactly we would have young stars poping up nearly every month because alot of the youngsters would be given more chances.

romel_old

the thing with ivan cleary's warriors is that they give us warriors fans a rollercoaster ride every season. it's too much for some of us. we fans like to see some consistency.

kearney as replacement coach for the warriors?
it makes a lot of sense doesnt it? i would love to have him join us.

yep its definetly a ROLLER COSTER ride through the whole season the highs the lows and the down right disgraceful.

Last edited by a moderator:

garyhobson_old

Stephen Kearney would create a good nz environment at the Warriors, where he could get all the players to play with each other like as if they were brothers. They would become more of a team. I think that is whats needed for the Warriors to be successful long term. The players will be more confident playing their natural game. He would be better at nuturing young nz talent too, not letting them slip through the cracks and allow them to be taken by other rival australian nrl clubs.

scotsman_old

You cant be serious Stephen Kearney as coach ,He has to prove himself first ! Wayne Bennett was the reason we won the World cup, as noted a few weeks ago when the kiwis went back to the good old days, God Kearney wanted Stacey Jones as No 7 Sorry mate wake up

commonsense_old

You cant be serious Stephen Kearney as coach ,He has to prove himself first ! Wayne Bennett was the reason we won the World cup, as noted a few weeks ago when the kiwis went back to the good old days, God Kearney wanted Stacey Jones as No 7 Sorry mate wake up

to be fair that was after stacey came back and shocked everyone with good performances.

u cant really blame kearney for the anzac test loss.