Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fucking Fisher-Harris baby! (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the club option in some player's contracts works in relation to when another team can make them an offer? For example, Sifakula is contracted for 2024 and the Warriors also have a club option for 2025.
Is there a date by which the Warriors must decide whether or not to trigger the club option?
If it's not known whether or not the Warriors will pick up the club option for 2025 yet, how does that affect when other clubs can make him an offer?

I am not really worried that Sifakula is going to be poached, just using his contract as an example as I am wondering how it works.

The 2 players wanting to ask for compassionate release

My guess one of them is Volkman, stuck in Cup and didn’t see SJ becoming a messianic figure in NZ, with CHT and another Panthers recruit coming, and persistent rumors of him leaving. If Metcalf is leaving he would probably persist for another year, might not be the case

I doubt Ford is one of them, he’s Webby’s son and we just let Curran go, Judas Ford will be his name if he wants out right now

Definitely doubt it’s Egan as he just extended and he got his car back lol

Last edited:
I get that situations change and what you thought you were facing when you signed the contract for 2 seasons isn't what you're faced with now.
So I get that players might want an early release. It just annoys me when the "personal issues" card gets played.
I'm not seeing "personal issues" here.
Volkman signed with the Warriors thinking he's going to have to go through a period of being 2nd choice 6/7 (however he saw himself or the Warriors saw him, differing views of half-back, five-eighth, controlling half/running half etc etc). Then CHT comes back. I don't see CHT starting the season in NRL, given the year he's spent doing no rugby league. Give him some time in NSW Cup to get his act together. He's not like RTS where, yep, different sport, different role but still pretty much physically 100% so maybe he does start Round 1 2024 at 3 or 4. But Volkman's entitled to feel a bit "Er, but I thought..." about the situation. Might just be one of those issues where the player and the club could talk this through but the player agent merrily sticks himself in the middle so the two can only talk through him (at worst a version of the Isaac Moses issue, at best, just no-one thought to get on the phone to talk things through).
As to Defence's observation about Lussick: given Egan's HIA issues, I'd be staying and seeing how things play out there.

Looking ahead to 2025 if AFB is definitely gone and next season is about shopping for replacements and developing through pathways perhaps we could look further afield such as;

Yeah we like the Pacific islands for recruitment.
Yeah we like the Australian recruits.
Yeah we like the odd UK recruit.

BUT........

What about South Africa? Or USA? Or Japan? Or other other sports like NFL, Basketball, Martial arts?

My guess would be Lussick and/ or volkman if there’s any truth to it- cht returning pushes them both down the pecking order.
I'd develop CHT as a lock to maximise his ball playing ability as a tandem with Walker. Tohu might not even finish the season in his current physical condition through wear and tear. That year off could pay off hugely in my guestimate.

Volkman will definitely be in consideration for 2025 given SJ's age and stage etc. He should embrace this season and rise to the challenge in a team that has upside rather than go drive a struggler team. TMM and Metcalf might have higher ranking but I'm ok with having them all. TMM are both serious injury guys so Volkman might win his jersey by way of having the healthiest body. 2024 might end with Volkman and CHT as starting halves in a round one elimination final....

Looking ahead to 2025 if AFB is definitely gone and next season is about shopping for replacements and developing through pathways perhaps we could look further afield such as;

BUT........

What about South Africa? Or USA? Or Japan? Or other other sports like NFL, Basketball, Martial arts?
Hire ufc champions as props and use them to wrestle.
Hire 100m track sprinters as your wingers.

BUT........

South Africa is like trying to recruit union players in NZ - most of them are either tagged for higher honours or could make a lot more money for less work in Europe and Japan.

USA - not really sure what the quality of USA Union team is, and I don't see a transition from NFL to RL working out very well.

Japan - Would be a fun/interesting scouting trip. Not sure of the quality they have given how reliant they are on foreigners in union.

IMO we'd be better off continuing to focus on Tonga, Samoa, Fiji. Not just the players in NZ with a family heritage, but scout the actual islands themselves (maybe a bit expensive?).

It's something the NRL should be doing anyway. Every club should have 2-3 guys from the PI on a scholarship style deal every year. Not all will make it, but it could only help grow the player base at both club and international level.

South Africa is like trying to recruit union players in NZ - most of them are either tagged for higher honours or could make a lot more money for less work in Europe and Japan.

USA - not really sure what the quality of USA Union team is, and I don't see a transition from NFL to RL working out very well.

Japan - Would be a fun/interesting scouting trip. Not sure of the quality they have given how reliant they are on foreigners in union.

IMO we'd be better off continuing to focus on Tonga, Samoa, Fiji. Not just the players in NZ with a family heritage, but scout the actual islands themselves (maybe a bit expensive?).

It's something the NRL should be doing anyway. Every club should have 2-3 guys from the PI on a scholarship style deal every year. Not all will make it, but it could only help grow the player base at both club and international level.
One rugby bloke I'd love on our team is Josua Tuisova. But I imagine he's on mega bucks. Fijian rugby bloke playing in France I think.

Yes developing the Payne Haas like players and keeping them is an awesome long term strategy. Re the Pacific Islands.

The kiwis game shows there's more than enough league talent from NZ (not to mention the ones playing for Tonga/Samoa) for us to win a prem. All the focus needs to be on that pathway.